LHL/Crosshanded Putting Grip  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently us this grip?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you ever putted this way?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If you tried this grip but no longer do, why?

• Putted worse
    • No improvement
    • Felt awkward
  4. 4. If you do use this grip, what primary benefit do you see?

• Improved aim point
    • Improved distance control
    • Improved lag putts
    • Improved short putts made
    • Fewer putts per round
  5. 5. Do you agree the LHL is the future of putting?

• Yes
    • No

I'm now on my second foray using the LHL putting grip.  This technique was first proposed to me at the 2018 PNW Meet-up.  I liked it at first but it always felt awkward and I soon abandoned it.  My putting prowess has never been terrible but it's never been stellar either.  Watching Chris @Thin2winput on a putting show at our recent meet-up, and using that grip, I once again made the switch.

Now having used it for about 20 rounds, I'm committed to making it my standard.  I most definitely have better aim point to intended target and have seen an improvement in putts made inside of 5 feet.  Even more, those pesky 1 to 2 foot score eating putts feel much less pensive to me.  I'm still playing around a bit with hand positions and have tried extending my index finger (lead and trail) down shaft and also slightly wrapped.  I've been looking at numerous on-line videos/articles and see there are many permutations being used. Establishing something that feels natural is my current task.

Contrary to what this article suggests, this putting grip seems not to have taken the golfing world by storm. 

Left Hand Low: Why the Future of Putting is Cross-Handed - The Golf Academy

This recent study shows 85% of the best tour putters use a conventional grip (reverse overlap).  

The Best Putters on Tour: What Grip-Style Do They Use? (waddengolfacademy.com)

But what about the amateur populous?  Have you tried it or are you using it?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm glad to see that you stuck with it.  Chris was deadly using LHL.  I've tried it with poor results.

I tried to post in your poll, but Q4 requires an answer, and it won't accept my vote unless I agree to one of the "benefits" I don't agree with.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have gone back and forth.  I putted left hand low from about 2010 until early in this year.    The reason I switched was to change things up and see if I could improve my short putting and be more right hand dominant instead of left hand dominant like I was with left hand low.     Claw type grips are probably what i would currently say is the grip of the future.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have gone back and forth.  I putted left hand low from about 2010 until early in this year.    The reason I switched was to change things up and see if I could improve my short putting and be more right hand dominant instead of left hand dominant like I was with left hand low.     Claw type grips are probably what i would currently say is the grip of the future.  

I heard somewhere that armlock is like cheating easy, so that must be the grip of the future.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

LHL helped on the short putts….long putts were far worse.  (My game calls for many long putts).

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

Like others when using LHL my short putts were more consistently on line but I struggled with distance control.  I used LHL on 10' and closer while using conventional on longer putts for many years.  Last fall i put a lot of work and analysis into my putting stroke and don't need the LHL on shorter putts any more.  I changed my grip slightly so I have two fingers reverse overlap which I found keeps my hands working as one unit real well.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I’ve recently been working with a LHL grip and there’s been a marked improvement on course. I’ll stick with it but I don’t think it’s due to the grip alone for a few reasons: a) I’ve been practicing several times daily (up from 1-2 sessions per week); b) I forgot to use LHL in one round and the improvements remained consistent; 

WITB: Epic Max Dr, SIM Ti 3w, TSi3 20 hybrid, Mavrik Pro (2 weak), MD5 53 & 58, Tuttle Flow putter

Mevo+ 

Tried the LHL grip on putters from decades ago , off and on many times since the day ( more than 20 years ago when Couples won a few tournaments with the LHL and his Ping Zing putter ).

The switch mainly from the size and the shape of the putter grip + the way the grip sits on the putter ( length ).

If the grip is over sized and has a flat front , on a longer than ideal length for your putting posture, then this LHL method will definitely help to maintain the putter head to go through the golf ball on the intended line of putt.  For me, the LHL is not ideal for controlling the feel for lagging long putt. Hence I go back and forth.  With different putters/grips, and sometimes switching back for shorter putting distance.

17 hours ago, wegolfs said:

b) I forgot to use LHL in one round and the improvements remained consistent; 

During the first couple of rounds having "made the switch", I'd find myself taking a practice stroke conventional and have to make the quick switch.  It does feel a bit awkward at first but I'm finding it easier with each round and practice session.

7 hours ago, release said:

For me, the LHL is not ideal for controlling the feel for lagging long putt. Hence I go back and forth.  With different putters/grips, and sometimes switching back for shorter putting distance.

I think switching back and forth would be challenging 😜.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think switching back and forth would be challenging 😜.

Of course.

But I am like a switch hitter.  Remember that I was a leftie before Kindergarten, converted to the "main stream way " during the kindergarten years.  If I concentrate on moving the putter head online with the intended target line, no issue there.  LHL is much easier than actually putted with left hand.

One of the guy I knew long ago was a right handed golfer but he putt with left hand.  Now, that was difficult. 

• 3 months later...

Been going back and forth this season and I think crosshanded fits in with the rest of my game  I seem to go back LHL method more often  than not When I started I used 5.0 fatso baseball style Changed to thinner 3.0 superstoke as felt more comfy to put my hands closer together 

Don’t have a specific way of holding the putter but I do find that if I have breaking putts feel more confidence with a either a double interlock or double overlap type grip 

If it a straight path to the cup then ten fingers most of the time 

When I using conventional I tend to rotate/Torque  the putter head too much  so I can push or pull my putts cause it hard to match my putter path with that much closing of the face    I end up pushing a lot of my putts conventional grip to "trying to hold the face square "

I find that cross handed minimizes the pushes . Also finding a putter that has less 'toe flow" ( less toe hang) seems to reduces the pulls as well

Making putts is just a different fundamental than swinging to a target  so I have no problems with totally different grip

I've tried left hand low a few times, but I can never find a comfortable position for my right hand, it just feels awkward.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 2 weeks later...

I started with LHL after a recent putter fitting where the fitter suggested I'd have a better putting stroke that way. I actually used it during the fitting .. and for several rounds after .. but, like most it seems, I'm going back to my regular "more comfortable" grip.

...on most putts, though on short like 2-3 ft I may use it to try and steady the putterhead on the back stroke .. although there I seem to do better with really abbreviating the backstroke and making a slow, smooth through stroke. As always - a work in progress..!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I was told by an instructor that it doesn't matter what grip you use when putting; use whatever is comfortable and performs best for you.  The only caveat to that was he said not to use the same grip that you use on the other clubs, which promotes a release that you don't want with a putter.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:16 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I'm now on my second foray using the LHL putting grip.  This technique was first proposed to me at the 2018 PNW Meet-up.  I liked it at first but it always felt awkward and I soon abandoned it.  My putting prowess has never been terrible but it's never been stellar either.  Watching Chris @Thin2winput on a putting show at our recent meet-up, and using that grip, I once again made the switch.

Now having used it for about 20 rounds, I'm committed to making it my standard.  I most definitely have better aim point to intended target and have seen an improvement in putts made inside of 5 feet.  Even more, those pesky 1 to 2 foot score eating putts feel much less pensive to me.  I'm still playing around a bit with hand positions and have tried extending my index finger (lead and trail) down shaft and also slightly wrapped.  I've been looking at numerous on-line videos/articles and see there are many permutations being used. Establishing something that feels natural is my current task.

Contrary to what this article suggests, this putting grip seems not to have taken the golfing world by storm. 

Left Hand Low: Why the Future of Putting is Cross-Handed - The Golf Academy

This recent study shows 85% of the best tour putters use a conventional grip (reverse overlap).  

The Best Putters on Tour: What Grip-Style Do They Use? (waddengolfacademy.com)

But what about the amateur populous?  Have you tried it or are you using it?

Ive used it in the past but didnt really like it.  I do think that LHL can be beneficial if you are a bit flippy with the club and release it too much.  I dont think its, "the future of putting" though.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 4 weeks later...

Trying this grip again. Feel that it’s more of right hand high grip.  Also trying the wiping the putter blade pre routine and I think that helps me feel the putter face better with my right hand and when I putt I feel my right palm is square with the putter blade. 

12 minutes ago, Haro said:

Trying this grip again. Feel that it’s more of right hand high grip.  Also trying the wiping the putter blade pre routine and I think that helps me feel the putter face better with my right hand and when I putt I feel my right palm is square with the putter blade. 

Have you considered just going to get a lesson from a pro especially one that may have a focus on putting? Seems like every day or every other day you are positing about some new method, or thought process or feel you are working on. Having someone with knowledge who can watch you putt and work with you would save you lots of time and tinkering. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have you considered just going to get a lesson from a pro especially one that may have a focus on putting? Seems like every day or every other day you are positing about some new method, or thought process or feel you are working on. Having someone with knowledge who can watch you putt and work with you would save you lots of time and tinkering. 

Yea I booked a lesson with local instructor.  
I seem to be into the putting lately. With LHL I been feeling it’s more of an arc stroke for me If I can have more of a right hand palm grip I feel I can keep the putter blade square to my arc 

with my right hand grip on my other clubs I tend to grip my right hand more in the fingers and have a higher rate of rotation of the clubface which is okay for the full swing 

On 11/22/2021 at 5:03 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I spoke to a top local  instructor to book an appointment and he refuse to see me 

He says I have too many thoughts gong on in my head and  feels he can not help me 

12 minutes ago, Haro said:

I spoke to a top local  instructor to book an appointment and he refuse to see me 

He says I have too many thoughts gong on in my head and  feels he can not help me 

IMO, Their job is to help you minimize and focus on the right thoughts.   but at least he told you up front that he feels he cant help you.   Must have been an interesting conversation when you were trying to book a lesson.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

IMO, Their job is to help you minimize and focus on the right thoughts.   but at least he told you up front that he feels he cant help you.   Must have been an interesting conversation when you were trying to book a lesson.

yea  I think the least he could have done was book a fitting  and just give some data to start out 

Just have to find the the people who are compatible 

40 minutes ago, Haro said:

That stinks but at least he was honest with you. I can see where he’s coming from tho.

11 minutes ago, Haro said:

yea  I think the least he could have done was book a fitting  and just give some data to start out 

Just have to find the the people who are compatible 

What would a fitting help? If you are using left hand low and a some sort of arcing stroke and he fits you to a certain putter then you change to some other feel or stroke the fitting was useless. 

He saved you money by not doing a fitting.

Check with other pros around the area.

Maybe look into Pat O’Brien’s videos and cd.

Another thought would be to decide on one thought, feel, stroke style and spend hours upon hours working on that. If you are on Instagram look at Tyler coonts page and see how long he works on a feel or swing thought. It’s not just a quick session then onto the next thing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, Haro said:

Were you trying to get a lesson or a fitting?   IMO, with putting you make choices about your stroke and once you have made those decisions is creates your stroke.  You then fit the putter to that stroke.   I personally view fitting a putter a little different than other clubs.  If you are continually changing everything about your putting approach a fitting loses its value a little.    You seem to be continually changing every choice you make about your putting stroke for what appears as no apparent reason.  Do you have realistic expectations?  What do you want an instructor to do for you?  What did you tell the instructor that made him say he can’t help you.    

Maybe create a thread specific to you and your effort to improve your putting.  In it explain what you are doing and what you want to accomplish.  People in the forum give great advice on things they have learned and provide great support.  Several people have done this and it helps create accountability and creates documentation on your efforts  

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Were you trying to get a lesson or a fitting?   IMO, with putting you make choices about your stroke and once you have made those decisions is creates your stroke.  You then fit the putter to that stroke.   I personally view fitting a putter a little different than other clubs.  If you are continually changing everything about your putting approach a fitting loses its value a little.    You seem to be continually changing every choice you make about your putting stroke for what appears as no apparent reason.  Do you have realistic expectations?  What do you want an instructor to do for you?  What did you tell the instructor that made him say he can’t help you.    

Maybe create a thread specific to you and your effort to improve your putting.  In it explain what you are doing and what you want to accomplish.  People in the forum give great advice on things they have learned and provide great support.  Several people have done this and it helps create accountability and creates documentation on your efforts  

First instructor I called cause name given to me by other golfers in my area.  He has a quintec    Ask for help to improve my putting and wanted putting lessons.  After first few minutes he said he cannot help me 

I came across anxious with all the thoughts about putting and I think he could sense that  But isn’t that why we seek help? 
I contact two other instructors and they were really nice and spend 20-30 mins on the phone with me and offered help 

While the first guy I contacted complained that he was listening to me talk too much for 20 mins and offered no support 

In the immortal words of Meatloaf...."two outta three ain't bad"

I think the first guy did you a solid by not wasting your time or money.  It just wasn't a fit.  Maybe he is burned out.  

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Reread putting chapter from Nicklaus golf my way Starting to make sense.  Watched a few Phil Kenyon and Brad Faxon tips   Much of my overthinking putting anxieties gone 

Have been practicing finding my own stroke     and trying out new putters

I think LHL was a technique that I started as a fad because of Spieth success few years ago   and decide to give  it up now 

Had a good day putting and chipping today my own way  One thing about putting anxiety is if I’m unsure of my read and guessing on the line and also not sure what type of stroke I want to use I tend to peek up to early which throws off my stroke

Made adjustments on my stroke Every putt under 15 feet was going to be 1 foot past the hole if I missed.  I got mad at myself for holing one putt that just wobbled in on the front lip Last week I would have happy it ball went in 

Feeling satisfied with the process rather than the result ( mindset of rolling the ball on my line and with the speed I want.  If it didn’t go in I’m okay with it as long I tried)   

The long putts that didn’t go in I had the correct speed and knew right away I didn’t have the correct line immediately after I hit the putt 

Last week I was missing short/long /right/left that I had no clue.