Jump to content

Shotscope Users Group


DarthGator007

Recommended Posts

I have been reading some posts and the manuals but I need clarification on the Positional option and how that is used for Performance Stats.  

I use my 53* quite a bit around the green and the 53* & 49* for some shots within 50 yards.  Should I be marking those as Positional so they don't get used for distance average for those clubs? 

The same question applies to other shots that are less than full swings.  Depending on the conditions (wind, lie, etc) I may hit a knock down 3/4 shot lower and shorter with 1 or 2 clubs more than normal.  Should those get marked as Positional since the overall yardage may be intentionally 15 -20 yards less than a full shot?

  • Like 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the way the stats read, anything 50 yards or less is considered short game and anything above that is part of your approaches so for any shot inside of 50 yards you don't have to worry about it impacting your distance averages.

If you're hitting knockdowns and punches you could mark them as positional, but personally I don't if it's a shot into the green. My reasoning is, I don't hit enough of those to drastically skew the averages and I want to be able to look at the full range of distances I can comfortably hit with each club. If however, I am laying up to a particular spot or trying to get back to the fairway I will mark it as positional.

  • Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still looking into SS - one of my playing partners uses Arccos and he will use his phone to update/edit missed shots throughout the round.

Correct me if I'm not understanding - With SS, the device (V3 watch) is collecting the data and then you import it over to your phone/app. So, all editing takes place after?

So, one of the differences between Arccos and SS is that Arccos uses the link that is constantly communicating to your phone/app and SS collects the data on the device and then imports to app once the round is complete. Is this correct?

  • Like 3

 :taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TBS said:

I'm still looking into SS - one of my playing partners uses Arccos and he will use his phone to update/edit missed shots throughout the round.

Correct me if I'm not understanding - With SS, the device (V3 watch) is collecting the data and then you import it over to your phone/app. So, all editing takes place after?

So, one of the differences between Arccos and SS is that Arccos uses the link that is constantly communicating to your phone/app and SS collects the data on the device and then imports to app once the round is complete. Is this correct?

yes, that is correct.

The watch collects information as you play. You can get club hit confirmation on the watch just so you know it picked up the swing. You can add a penalty on the watch if you want OR you can wait and add it post round when editing.

Otherwise, all data is uploaded to app on phone post round and you can edit in app or web dashboard.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, CFAnPEI said:

yes, that is correct.

The watch collects information as you play. You can get club hit confirmation on the watch just so you know it picked up the swing. You can add a penalty on the watch if you want OR you can wait and add it post round when editing.

Otherwise, all data is uploaded to app on phone post round and you can edit in app or web dashboard.

 

For those that have used both, is this a big differentiator? 

To me it doesn't seem as much (I don't like to look at my phone a lot while playing). The only downside might be not getting real time club distance data. 

  • Like 3

 :taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I have been reading some posts and the manuals but I need clarification on the Positional option and how that is used for Performance Stats.  

I use my 53* quite a bit around the green and the 53* & 49* for some shots within 50 yards.  Should I be marking those as Positional so they don't get used for distance average for those clubs? 

The same question applies to other shots that are less than full swings.  Depending on the conditions (wind, lie, etc) I may hit a knock down 3/4 shot lower and shorter with 1 or 2 clubs more than normal.  Should those get marked as Positional since the overall yardage may be intentionally 15 -20 yards less than a full shot?

Positional shots are all that are not hit with the intent of hitting the green, punch outs, lay ups etc. Your wedge shots to the green are not positional and any other shot hit to the green, regardless of shot type, are not positional.
 

Straight from SS on their site:

 

 

Quote

 

What is a positional shot?

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally playing into another part of the course. The two typical scenarios where this would occur would be:

1) On a par 5 when you can't reach the green so lay up to a suitable distance for your third shot.

2) If your drive goes into trouble and you need to play out sideways on the second shot.

By marking a shot as "Positional" it will be excluded from the "Approach' "Short Game" and "Club" stats in your performance data which means your stats stay accurate.

 

 

  • Like 5

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 6.0
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: Fli Hi 3 & 4 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80 6.0

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: MAXFLI Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8


God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MattF said:

1) On a par 5 when you can't reach the green so lay up to a suitable distance for your third shot.

Thx for that .. it reminded me of what I consider something needing refinement / enhancement in the data analysis - that is:

WHY is every 2nd shot on every Par 5 considered an approach/attempt to hit the green??

Personally I don't drive it 300 and I can't make a 200+ yd approach, sooo - basically I'm always laying up with my second *but* it's typically a full swing to get to the desired target distance.

Otoh, if (when 😂) I drive it under a tree and use a, say, 8i to punch out I'll mark that as positional.

So - it might be nice to have an option setting in the app/on the dashboard for Par 5s to the effect of 'do/don't treat my 2nd on a Par 5 as an Approach'..?

  • Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TR1PTIK & @MattF thanks for the info.  I play in a lot of windy conditions so it seems I am hitting a lot of low flight knock downs, though maybe it's not as many as I think.  I suppose the into the wind vs with the wind shots should average out over time so I guess I will not mark them as Positional and let the data for those shots be calculated into the stats for the clubs.  

  • Like 4

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, TBS said:

. The only downside might be not getting real time club distance data. 

If you're not looking at your phone anyway then real time distance for clubs hit is a mute point. For me (having used both) an advantage of the SS watch is that you can see that the watch picked up the club you're using. With ARRCOS you don't know unless you do look at your phone or access it later. Accessing the club distances after a round in SS is pretty easy as you can sort the data by the most recent round, last five, etc. etc. 

Other advantages - no batteries in the sensors, no subscription, no need to carry a phone, Apple watch or Link to capture the data. Plus the SS serves as a gps device giving you course info; FMB, Penalty areas, etc. real time  

  • Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

If you're not looking at your phone anyway then real time distance for clubs hit is a mute point. For me (having used both) an advantage of the SS watch is that you can see that the watch picked up the club you're using. With ARRCOS you don't know unless you do look at your phone or access it later. Accessing the club distances after a round is SS is pretty easy as you can sort the data by the most recent round, last five, etc. etc. 

Other advantages - no batteries in the sensors, no subscription, no need to carry a phone, Apple watch or Link to capture the data. Plus the SS serves as a gps device giving you course info; FMB, Penalty areas, etc. real time  

Dang it… I’m sold on SS!
 

Now to hope for another 15% off code. Just missed the one they ran for PGA Championship. 

  • Like 6

 :taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 1:48 PM, cksurfdude said:

Thx for that .. it reminded me of what I consider something needing refinement / enhancement in the data analysis - that is:

WHY is every 2nd shot on every Par 5 considered an approach/attempt to hit the green??

Personally I don't drive it 300 and I can't make a 200+ yd approach, sooo - basically I'm always laying up with my second *but* it's typically a full swing to get to the desired target distance.

Otoh, if (when 😂) I drive it under a tree and use a, say, 8i to punch out I'll mark that as positional.

So - it might be nice to have an option setting in the app/on the dashboard for Par 5s to the effect of 'do/don't treat my 2nd on a Par 5 as an Approach'..?

Totally agree.  Reaching a par 5 in two if a strong wind is at my back and downhill maybe, but that's about it.  Never occurred to me that 2nd is considered an approach shot.  Must be one of many, many reasons my Approach stats are negative SG, lol. 

An optional setting would be nice for this.  I wouldn't want these shots to be included in my approach stats (an area I am trying to focus on this year), but I would want the club distance data included, which will not be if I mark it as positional.  Bummer.

  • Like 3

:srixon-small: ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small: 3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 17, 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

PXG 0211 DC 5-GW irons, TT Elevate 95 regular

:cleveland-small:  RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:odyssey-small:Jailbreak Mini S Putter Red

:ShotScope: V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:srixon-small: Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a YouTube reviewer code that works for 10% off, ANDYSGOLF

Also noticed Dicks Sporting Goods has them on sale too!

On 5/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, TBS said:

Dang it… I’m sold on SS!
 

Now to hope for another 15% off code. Just missed the one they ran for PGA Championship. 

 

  • Like 3

 

:ping-small:  G 10.5* & 14*  R shaft woods

:ping-small:  Eye 2  3-9. R steel shafts

:ping-small:  Zing2 putter

:titelist-small:  Volkey 48*, 52* & 56* wedges

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, sellemental said:

Totally agree.  Reaching a par 5 in two if a strong wind is at my back and downhill maybe, but that's about it.  Never occurred to me that 2nd is considered an approach shot.  Must be one of many, many reasons my Approach stats are negative SG, lol. 

An optional setting would be nice for this.  I wouldn't want these shots to be included in my approach stats (an area I am trying to focus on this year), but I would want the club distance data included, which will not be if I mark it as positional.  Bummer.

Hi All,

I was editing today's round and discovered something regarding this.  Under the Approaches Category, you can adjust the distance filter with a dropdown for beginning and ending yardages.  So in principle, this should address the 2nd shot on par 5 holes without marking it as a positional shot.  I adjusted my yardage on the top end of the range to 200 yards, rather than the default 225+ setting.  I think this will be a more accurate reflection of my game, so I'm going to try this for a while.  Doesn't hurt that it immediately increased my GIR number, but still way too low to be proud of, so I'm not going to mention it.  Please forgive me.

  • Like 5

:srixon-small: ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small: 3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 17, 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

PXG 0211 DC 5-GW irons, TT Elevate 95 regular

:cleveland-small:  RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:odyssey-small:Jailbreak Mini S Putter Red

:ShotScope: V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:srixon-small: Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Guests
Guest Don Barar

Hi S,

I was unaware of this option.  Thank you for passing this filter along.

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sellemental said:

... Under the Approaches Category, you can adjust the distance filter with a dropdown for beginning and ending yardages.

So in principle, this should address the 2nd shot on par 5 holes without marking it as a positional shot.

Yes, that is "the fix" as it's currently implemented in the website Dashboard.

But it would be nice to set something like, "My approach shots are NNN yards and in".

  • Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had issues with the connection between the watch and the App? My wife couldn't download her watch yesterday. (Note she has probably 40 rounds on the App). We tried several things, including the process recommendation on the support site. The app is either trying trying to sync or it ends up asking for the Bluetooth code (pairing request) which doesn't appear on the watch. Again we did it 'by the the book'  Also she tried a logout from the app hoping that would fix it as well as turn off/turn on  both devices - that didn't work either. Firmware on the watch is latest 2.4.0 and the App 2.13.1 

This happened on my App about a year ago - but don't remember how I solved it and yes I did send SS support an email yesterday.

 

  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

The app is either trying trying to sync or it ends up asking for the Bluetooth code (pairing request) which doesn't appear on the watch.

Actually you don't pair the watch to the phone via the phones Bluetooth settings - hitting Sync in the app sets up the BT connection.

Maybe see if the phone's BT settings have a connection for the watch saved .. if so, delete it. Also, maybe toggle Off/On both BT and Location on the phone .. then try app Sync again..?

  • Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..PXG Gen 5 0311XF (PX EvenFlow Riptide CB 50/5.0)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..Callaway Epic SuperHybrid 4H (SteelFiber fc65/F2)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9 460/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Actually you don't pair the watch to the phone via the phones Bluetooth settings - hitting Sync in the app sets up the BT connection.

Maybe see if the phone's BT settings have a connection for the watch saved .. if so, delete it. Also, maybe toggle Off/On both BT and Location on the phone .. then try app Sync again..?

Yup I had turned it off (deleted Shotscope in Bluetooth setting) just as the instructions specified - that's when i get the pairing request. 

  • Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 5:06 PM, tony@CIC said:

Nope - I hit plenty of thin shots and they're all recorded 😭. An advantages of Shotscope; you can see the club selected on the watch before you hit the club and obviously immediately after you hit it and before you select the next club.  

Not always the case Tony.  Lately, my Driver does not get picked so when I edit I have to relocate the drive to the correct Tee. I am on my second Driver tag and still it is not picking up.

  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...