Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf ball decision time!

Since my regular golf ball, Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin was discontinued, I have been on a search for a new ball and have tested more than a dozen over past six months. I’m 68, have a 17 index, drive the ball an average of 212-218 with a 14 degree Mavrik driver.  I was down to a 14 before I starting testing so many different golf balls.  My driver swing speed is down to 80 mph due to age. I hit 72% of FW’s. Having tested a slew of three piece urethane balls (and clearly favoring them over ionomer), I am torn between the BS Tour B RXS and the TM Tour Response. I tried the Soft Response and the Callaway Supersoft on the ionomer side and find them to be generally a little clunky at impact. Can’t beat urethane.  I also tested Titleist’s TruSoft, Tour Soft and Tour Speed. Also tested Wilson Staff Duo Professional.  I know we are talking 64 vs 70 compression (BS vs. TM). I also know that the BS is not as durable and is pricier, costing about $10/dozen more. But I don’t lose golf balls so I consider that irrelevant. They both putt well, though I’d maybe give a slight edge to the BS. Any other thoughts before I commit?

35 minutes ago, DavidLPS said:

Since my regular golf ball, Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin was discontinued, I have been on a search for a new ball and have tested more than a dozen over past six months. I’m 68, have a 17 index, drive the ball an average of 212-218 with a 14 degree Mavrik driver.  I was down to a 14 before I starting testing so many different golf balls.  My driver swing speed is down to 80 mph due to age. I hit 72% of FW’s. Having tested a slew of three piece urethane balls (and clearly favoring them over ionomer), I am torn between the BS Tour B RXS and the TM Tour Response. I tried the Soft Response and the Callaway Supersoft on the ionomer side and find them to be generally a little clunky at impact. Can’t beat urethane.  I also tested Titleist’s TruSoft, Tour Soft and Tour Speed. Also tested Wilson Staff Duo Professional.  I know we are talking 64 vs 70 compression (BS vs. TM). I also know that the BS is not as durable and is pricier, costing about $10/dozen more. But I don’t lose golf balls so I consider that irrelevant. They both putt well, though I’d maybe give a slight edge to the BS. Any other thoughts before I commit?

At that swing speed, durability shouldn't be a huge issue... if you don't lose balls, you should make a dozen last a long while, so play whichever ball you like the best... That said, the Kirkland ball is an amazing value and a good ball... it's got a urethane cover and comes out to $1 a ball... you could give one of the 2 dozen away and still come out ahead price wise. 

I love the Bridgestone balls, though... I think it makes sense to game them if you like them.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

22 hours ago, DavidLPS said:

I know we are talking 64 vs 70 compression (BS vs. TM).

Keep in mind that there really is no industry standard for measuring compression so comparing figures from different OEMs isn’t necessarily apples to apples. 

If your own personal testing resulted in a tossup between the TM TR and the B RXS, I would recommend the TM due to the lower price point and cast thermoset urethane cover vs the TPU cover used on the Bridgestone. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

On 7/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, storm319 said:

Keep in mind that there really is no industry standard for measuring compression so comparing figures from different OEMs isn’t necessarily apples to apples. 

If your own personal testing resulted in a tossup between the TM TR and the B RXS, I would recommend the TM due to the lower price point and cast thermoset urethane cover vs the TPU cover used on the Bridgestone. 

Thanks!  I am realizing that with a slower swing speed, the distance off tee doesn’t vary much regardless which balls I use. So I’ve decided feel is all important to me. I tested the Bridgestone E6 yesterday and liked the feel. I know it is now a 2 piece with surly cover but at allegedly 50 compression, I liked the feel. Around the green, spin is of little concern to a 17 indexer. Solid contact is my major concern. And not decelerating into the ball from years of poor results deep in the recesses of my mind. Taking the advice of the someone, yesterday I went on line and bought access to rebelliongolf.com. Most old dudes hold their game together by having solid to serviceable short games. It’s about time I try to do the same. So ball-wise, right now the e6 Bridgestone is the ball to beat. I definitely don’t want anything firmer. Yesterday my best drives traveled 225, 222, 220, 214, 213 and 206. With about an 80 mph swing speed, that is about the best I can hope for. Yeah, I had some mishits. They tended to travel between 180 - 198. 

If price is not a big issue, I like the RXS ball a lot, it spins enough around the greens and seems to go a little further, at least for me, off the tee box.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS