Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Changing from 70g stiff to 50g x stiff

Wondering if I do this switch from my 70g smoke yellow 6.0 into a lighter shaft I'm getting winded after just a couple of swings I've tried some 50g stiff shafts and they ended up adding more spin and massive control issues. I'm considering looking for a 50g shaft to lower the overall weight of my club. Currently swing weight is D1 with a midsize grip. So very butt heavy my head is a pxg 0811x with weights added to increase swing weight. Would like swing weight around d5 or d6 but with overall less weight. Any idea on a shaft that would help me?

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

As much fun as it is to experiment, going to a fitter will allow you to try a bunch more head / shaft combo's (more fun) than swapping in one shaft you picked up for another. 

Having said that....I wouldn't turn up my nose at a good deal on a Nemesys or Ventus Velocore to try out instead of my Accra!!  But I'd get some launch monitor numbers to start and dial it in with on course performance no matter what I was trying.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I did get fit into the shaft I have and went back for a second driver shaft check and still wants me in a heavy shaft. Stiff flex. My issue is due to being bed ridden for 18 months plus 3.5 years of recovery learning how to walk again. Swing again everything. I don't have the stamina to swing a 70g shaft in my driver more than a hand full of times I hit it well those few times. At fitter we tried 50g stiff and spin sky rocketed they didn't have a 50g x stiff in stock at club champion. They are waiting on one

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

1 hour ago, Jshaver said:

Why are you doing this?  

Go to a competent club fitter, get on a launch monitor, let him figure out what the correct clubhead, shaft, swingweight, gripsize, etc is best for your swing, swing speed, swing path and all that.  Otherwise, you’re just wasting time and money

I'm doing this against my club fitters advice. I need to lower spin with less weight. I know that as my  strength returns the 70g shaft will work nicely. 

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

As much fun as it is to experiment, going to a fitter will allow you to try a bunch more head / shaft combo's (more fun) than swapping in one shaft you picked up for another. 

Having said that....I wouldn't turn up my nose at a good deal on a Nemesys or Ventus Velocore to try out instead of my Accra!!  But I'd get some launch monitor numbers to start and dial it in with on course performance no matter what I was trying.

I have been to club champion full full bag fit and I like it but just can't play as much as I would like with it after a round need couple of days to recover. As I get my stamina back the 70g will do nicely. My fitter doesn't want me tinkering but I'm a tinker. Its an experiment about what will work for me.

Is there an alternative to CC that has a full selection of shafts to try in Vegas?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Is there an alternative to CC that has a full selection of shafts to try in Vegas?

5 iron just opened but it's inside a entertainment mall that is overwhelming for me to walk through and adds $50 in cost just to walk into the building. Other option is golftec but they lack shaft selection as well. I am looking into possibly flying somewhere for a fitting weekend.

Would like to fly to Canada and visit txg they are so backlogged though. I also have been looking into cool clubs in Arizona. 

Onestop, I got fitted for a new Maverick 3w, with an Evenflow 60g stiff shaft. Really like it.  Always played a 75stiff or 75x shaft in fairway woods and hitting. but the 60g Evenflow appears to be the right fit.  So by chance a golf buddy had a 50g stiff Evenflow Shaft in his driver and didn't like it.  We traded driver shafts about a month ago (figured I had nothing to lose before buying a new driver - lol) & it's fantastic (traded him out a 65s shaft).  I'm finding driver with 50g shaft is given more accuracy & actually hitting it further.  Also changed the grip from the std tour velvet my buddy had on it, to a jumbo Golf Pride tour wrap. however that changed the feel of the club. Could not feel the head of the club with 76gram grip on a 50g shaft and didn't like it. Couple of weeks ago changed grip to Superstroke Oversized grip - 50g weight with two rounds of tape. Its made a world of difference in feel.  Also just changed iron grips to Superstroke from Jumbo Golf Prides because of lighter grip weight & thats given great feel on irons as well.  

The one issue the lighter shaft gives me is less fatigue by end of round. I do think it's because of the lighter , and I walk either 9 or 18 almost every day. You mentioned you get tired swinging the heavier club, the lighter shaft is noticeable difference.
I agree with comments of getting fitted and you've been to CC, so you know your specs. Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with tinkering if you have the time & know you'll spend a little money.  The lighter grips have provided a better feel for me, without compromising the grip size. 50g stiff & 50g xstiff shaft technology today is very impressive. The internet has been a great opportunity to research the different shafts & grips and their specs.  Good luck & apologies for longwinded reply! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

5 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

Onestop, I got fitted for a new Maverick 3w, with an Evenflow 60g stiff shaft. Really like it.  Always played a 75stiff or 75x shaft in fairway woods and hitting. but the 60g Evenflow appears to be the right fit.  So by chance a golf buddy had a 50g stiff Evenflow Shaft in his driver and didn't like it.  We traded driver shafts about a month ago (figured I had nothing to lose before buying a new driver - lol) & it's fantastic (traded him out a 65s shaft).  I'm finding driver with 50g shaft is given more accuracy & actually hitting it further.  Also changed the grip from the std tour velvet my buddy had on it, to a jumbo Golf Pride tour wrap. however that changed the feel of the club. Could not feel the head of the club with 76gram grip on a 50g shaft and didn't like it. Couple of weeks ago changed grip to Superstroke Oversized grip - 50g weight with two rounds of tape. Its made a world of difference in feel.  Also just changed iron grips to Superstroke from Jumbo Golf Prides because of lighter grip weight & thats given great feel on irons as well.  

The one issue the lighter shaft gives me is less fatigue by end of round. I do think it's because of the lighter , and I walk either 9 or 18 almost every day. You mentioned you get tired swinging the heavier club, the lighter shaft is noticeable difference.
I agree with comments of getting fitted and you've been to CC, so you know your specs. Nothing wrong, in my opinion, with tinkering if you have the time & know you'll spend a little money.  The lighter grips have provided a better feel for me, without compromising the grip size. 50g stiff & 50g xstiff shaft technology today is very impressive. The internet has been a great opportunity to research the different shafts & grips and their specs.  Good luck & apologies for longwinded reply! 

Thanks for your reply. My fitter is a good guy and has been my guy since college. So he knows my swing well. I hit my current driver great about 10 times then I'm out of steam. It doesn't help I swing heavy clubs in general. My irons and wedges are d7,e2 and usually like my driver d4 area so the clubs feel heavy in hand but overall weight is pretty light do to steelfiber i95 shafts. tensi red in my wedges at 75g. I ended up adding about 25 g to my driver head to get the right feel for me in the hazardous smoke yellow. To bring it to D1 so it's just a heavy club I think total weight is pushing 315g or a little more. Dropping that under 300g is my goal with lower balance point. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think a weight drop is going to help a ton with getting winded. But I would target a profile you know works for you, I played 80+ gram driver shafts forever, dropped to the low 70s more recently and my current driver is classified as a 65 but is a bit heavier. I like it because I feel like I can get more speed but still control it well.

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

On 7/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, Onestoptech said:

I did get fit into the shaft I have and went back for a second driver shaft check and still wants me in a heavy shaft. Stiff flex. My issue is due to being bed ridden for 18 months plus 3.5 years of recovery learning how to walk again. Swing again everything. I don't have the stamina to swing a 70g shaft in my driver more than a hand full of times I hit it well those few times. At fitter we tried 50g stiff and spin sky rocketed they didn't have a 50g x stiff in stock at club champion. They are waiting on one

Just randomly dropping weight and increasing flex could be worse for your consistency. There’s a lot more to shafts than just weight and flex and with flex being non standard across the industry in means nothing unless comparing to other flexes in the same shaft design.

You need a weight and a profile that fits your swings you could drop to the 5.5 in the yellow and the 60g and see what that does. 

Also that shaft is counterbalanced and if you pick up a non counterbalanced shaft or one with a the kick point in the top of the shaft being slight different it’s going to throw things off.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, TheProfessor said:

I don’t think a weight drop is going to help a ton with getting winded. But I would target a profile you know works for you, I played 80+ gram driver shafts forever, dropped to the low 70s more recently and my current driver is classified as a 65 but is a bit heavier. I like it because I feel like I can get more speed but still control it well.

See this is the type of swing profile I like to feel more weight in my head I figured the counterbalance has made me add so much weight to the head that. It's now almost 390g head. 

I read the thread and I don't think I fully understand exactly why you are trying to make this change.  I get that you are currently rehabbing what sounds like a pretty serious injury or multiple injuries so I'm glad that you're able to start golfing again but I don't see how knocking 20 grams off your overall driver weight is going to help your stamina.  That's basically 20 paperclips on a club that you are swing on average once every 12 minutes.  Driver is also usually the lightest club in the bag so what would be the plan for the rest of your set as your woods and irons are likely just as heavy or heavier than your driver?  

I'm not qualified to be giving equipment building advice or medical advice, but it sounds to me like you just need to push through on your rehab and build up your stamina further.  Messing with the driver shaft to something that isn't optimal for your swing is probably going to screw up your swing and you'll be in a worse place once you do actually recover as it sounds like you are still able to hit the ball well, albeit you can't pound ball after ball after ball on the range like maybe you could before.

I would highly recommend a fitting from a highly recommended club fitter. I’ve spent thousands of dollars shaft shopping and testing. Went to a fitter and ended up in a shaft I would never have considered and it’s ridiculous how much longer and consistent I am now…and for a fraction of the price. There are just too many variables to consider other than weight that a novice will never figure out. Learn from my mistakes. 

WITB

callaway apex/pro combo (5-A) Elevate tour stiff

epic sub zero driver

jetspeed 3/5 woods

apex hybrid 19*

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 7:41 AM, ChitownM2 said:

I read the thread and I don't think I fully understand exactly why you are trying to make this change.  I get that you are currently rehabbing what sounds like a pretty serious injury or multiple injuries so I'm glad that you're able to start golfing again but I don't see how knocking 20 grams off your overall driver weight is going to help your stamina.  That's basically 20 paperclips on a club that you are swing on average once every 12 minutes.  Driver is also usually the lightest club in the bag so what would be the plan for the rest of your set as your woods and irons are likely just as heavy or heavier than your driver?  

I'm not qualified to be giving equipment building advice or medical advice, but it sounds to me like you just need to push through on your rehab and build up your stamina further.  Messing with the driver shaft to something that isn't optimal for your swing is probably going to screw up your swing and you'll be in a worse place once you do actually recover as it sounds like you are still able to hit the ball well, albeit you can't pound ball after ball after ball on the range like maybe you could before.

It's because I can't swing it's multiple times in a row also the weight of head. Like optimal average swing weight is d4-5 for a driver. Mine currently is counter balanced and feels light in hand is like d1. I'm hoping with lest shaft weight I could get the driver to the d4 range. It currently feels so light and stuff I'm not getting my timing or feeling the shaft load. I could continue to add lead tape to the head to get swing weight down. Also feeling the club load is Very important to my timing.