TESTERS WANTED! ×

US Senior Open-A Long Shot to Root For

Golfspy_CG2

If you guys want a long shot (Cinderella story) to root for in this weeks US Senior Open.  Here's one.   Drew hosted a morning sports talk show here in the area for many years.  For several of those years, I had a weekly basketball segment with him.  We both love hoops and golf!   He has been trying for this every year and finally made it in

Maybe he gets an early tee time on Thursday and gets to see his name on the leaderboard for a moment!

CALVERT HALL GOLF COACH DREW FORRESTER QUALIFIES FOR THE U.S. SENIOR OPEN

Calvert Hall golf coach Drew Forrester qualifies for the U.S. Senior Open

A 1-UNDER 69 IN QUALIFYING EVENT AS WELL AS A VICTORY IN A 4-HOLE PLAYOFF SENDS HIM TO OMAHA

by Gary Adornato

Calvert Hall golf coach Drew Forrester has qualified for the U.S. Senior Open, as an amateur, after shooting a 1-under par 69 at a USGA qualifying event at Argyle Country Club, in Silver Spring, on June 16th. He will now play in the 40th U.S. Senior Open at Omaha Country Club in Omaha, Nebraska, July 8-11.

Forrester was one over as he approached the final two holes. He birdie 17 to get back to even and then hit what he described as “the best 6-iron I have ever hit in my life,” which put him position to make a six-foot birdie putt on 18.

Playing in the morning group, Forrester reached the club house tied for second, and then had to wait five hours as the afternoon group completed their round. He then won a playoff with Barry Dear of Woodbury, NJ and Eric Egloff of Arnold, MD, sinking a birdie on the fourth hole to secure his spot in Omaha.

“It just was my day,” Forrester said on Glenn Clark Raido. “There is a lot of luck to it, but I hit the right putt at the right time and I made it.”

Although he does not admit to having any illusions of possibly winning the Open, against a field of the best senior players in the world, he does plan to compete.

“I want to go out there and play well,” Forrester added. “I am representing my club and Baltimore golf. I know it’s going to be a difficult challenge. I’ve dreamed a lot of big dreams in my life. This is not one I am dreaming about, but I do have a goal. I would like to try and make the cut. It would be really phenomenal to play all four days.”

Forrester also revealed that he will play in a practice round at Omaha Country Club on July 5th with Bernhard Langer, a two-time Masters champion and the winner of 11 major championships on the seniors tour.

Pictured above: Drew Forrester, in 2019 with his son Ethan, who will join him in Omaha for the U.S. Senior Open.

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/calvert-hall-golf-coach-drew-forrester-qualifies-for-the-u-s-senior-open/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great story, I'll be rooting for him to do well and play the weekend.  I've heard Drew on Balt. sports talk occasionally when one of the hosts that knows him needs a viewpoint on a golf story.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Best of luck to him!  Two years back, a friend of mine qualified for the US Senior Amateur, which was played that year at Old Chatham near Durham, NC.  He didn't play as well as he would have liked, missing the cut after 36 holes of stroke play, but said it was probably the best competitive golf experience in his life.  Apparently the USGA knows how to run a golf tournament.

Again, Good Luck to Drew!!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I’ve been reading Drew’s updates on his blog. DeewsdailyDish

He has played practice rounds with Behnard Langer (Twice) Mike Wier snd Billy Andrade.  

He said they were all very nice but Wier especially was a friendly and chatting as my has anyone could be. 

He has talked about the rough and the importance of being in the right spot on the greens. 

On one hole he hit what he expected to be a very good 7 iron right at 165.  It went about 170 and he said those 15 feet would have been a possible birdie and definite par on any normal course back home.   But after 3 putts he couldn’t stop it closer than 8 feet past the hole. 

Andrade dropped a ball from the same spot snd had the same result.  To which he replied. Yeah, that’s no good up here.  Ha

sounds like it’s been an incredible experience for him so far.  Tees off at 2:57 tomorrow afternoon   2nd to last group out  

Today’s practice round partner.  Retief Goosen!   That’s pretty damn cool. 

image.png

A buddy from Monroe, LA, Clay Weems, is a great story too. He is the REAL-LIFE, 2021 version of “Tin Cup”! He became a teaching Pro, won the CC Member Championship a few times, and has owned and operated his own driving range! He tees off Thursday at 2:51, next to last group. He probably won’t make the cut, but it would be cool if he did.
https://www.knoe.com/2021/07/07/weems-ready-shine-us-senior-open/

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

18 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Pretty cool Rob, sounds like he is enjoying every second.  

Yep.  He is definitely a very positive attitude  type guy.  So I’m sure he is doing something we all would dream about. 

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

A buddy from Monroe, LA, Clay Weems, is a great story too. He is the REAL-LIFE, 2021 version of “Tin Cup”! He became a teaching Pro, won the CC Member Championship a few times, and has owned and operated his own driving range! He tees off Thursday at 2:51, next to last group. He probably won’t make the cut, but it would be cool if he did.
https://www.knoe.com/2021/07/07/weems-ready-shine-us-senior-open/

They may be in the same group. 

15 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep.  He is definitely a very positive attitude  type guy.  So I’m sure he is doing something we all would dream about. 

They may be in the same group. 

Yep!!! Pretty cool!17DC8F5F-DA1C-457A-90CA-7EA75E95B9C0.jpeg.5b28226d4a2c5e23a6d44ad02b607006.jpeg

15 hours ago, PMookie said:

Yep!!! Pretty cool!17DC8F5F-DA1C-457A-90CA-7EA75E95B9C0.jpeg.5b28226d4a2c5e23a6d44ad02b607006.jpeg

Let's hope for some late afternoon fireworks!! 

It would make for a great story, ala Richard Bland.  No matter what happens, he'll have some "never would have dreamed it" memories to share.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

It would make for a great story, ala Richard Bland.  No matter what happens, he'll have some "never would have dreamed it" memories to share.

Yeah, although Richard Bland has been a professional for over 20 years, but that was a great story.  Drew will no doubt have great memories and stories from this week.   A quick check of the leader board has him +1 after 3 holes.  He Bogeyd a 233 par 3 third hole.  233 yard par 3 for the Seniors, they dont' cut these guys any slack in their advancing years...LOL 

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, although Richard Bland has been a professional for over 20 years, but that was a great story.  Drew will no doubt have great memories and stories from this week.   A quick check of the leader board has him +1 after 3 holes.  He Bogeyd a 233 par 3 third hole.  233 yard par 3 for the Seniors, they dont' cut these guys any slack in their advancing years...LOL 

Indeed. I'm noticing quite a few more of these 225+ yard par 3's showing up on multiple tours.  Add a little water and things start getting serious.

Ernie Ell's had the insert on his putter fall out part way through the round - that's pretty odd.  Rules Official said he could replace or repair it.  The spare came literally just in time for him to putt.  I'm guessing the build staff are having an early dress-down with their pre shift morning coffee 😬.

26 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ernie Ell's had the insert on his putter fall out part way through the round - that's pretty odd.  Rules Official said he could replace or repair it.  The spare came literally just in time for him to putt.  I'm guessing the build staff are having an early dress-down with their pre shift morning coffee 😬.

Heard but didn’t confirm that he had a couple of 3 putt holes prior to looking at the head and seeing that the insert was loose.   Apparently the replacement was a completely different model putter since the tour trucks usually vacate after Wednesday.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Let's hope for some late afternoon fireworks!! 

Sheesh. Gonna need to find SOMETHING. Clay had four doubles!!! He’s going to have to shoot 6-7 under today to make the cut….. Ain’t happening!

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Sheesh. Gonna need to find SOMETHING. Clay had four doubles!!! He’s going to have to shoot 6-7 under today to make the cut….. Ain’t happening!

Yeah, they didn't have a good vibe in that group at all.  Drew shot 81 also, 11 bogeys and 7 pars.  He posted in his blog that he has to play 5 of the par 4's as par 5's  that they are all 220 plus for him on the 2nd shot and it's too risky to hit hybrid or FW and miss in a bad place around the green, so he was going to layup to about 60 yards and hope to hit wedge close .  I guess it didn't work.

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, they didn't have a good vibe in that group at all.  Drew shot 81 also, 11 bogeys and 7 pars.  He posted in his blog that he has to play 5 of the par 4's as par 5's  that they are all 220 plus for him on the 2nd shot and it's too risky to hit hybrid or FW and miss in a bad place around the green, so he was going to layup to about 60 yards and hope to hit wedge close .  I guess it didn't work.

I can’t imagine playing those “conditions”. Crazy!!!! Then when they get to the greens the fun starts!!!

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Sounds like my game every time I tee it up.  🙄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, that Cinderella story never even got close so now I'm watching the conclusion and hoping Furyk can hold on for the win. A couple of other key observations.  First I have never seen Boom-boom putt so lousy, and this has been a problem for him most of the season. Second, I'm beginning to notice Das German Machine is losing ground to the field.  Soon to be 64, that logarithmic scale on age vs. performance is beginning to show.  I hate seeing this unfold for two reasons 😕🙂.

Great win for Jim!  He now adds another bullet to the growing list of accomplishments - joining a small list of US Open and US Senior Open winners.