Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Forme shorts & shirt - old guy real world test

WaffleHouseTour

When I first read the official review Harry did on the Forme shirt, I thought "well, that's interesting" I've got slumped rounded shoulders and it's always bothered me.  I should have listened to my kindergarten teacher about sitting up straight.  But... its an expensive t-shirt and I took a pass.  Then came the article on the Forme shorts...

This I had to try.

I was born 54 years ago with a dislocated left hip, and as a result I have a short left leg.  Didn't  do anything about it. didn't even know about it, until my first chiropractor visit in my late thirties and he recommended a heel lift - like a 1/2 inch heel lift.  Got custom orthotics, but a half inch insert into your shoes about takes you out of them.  I havLowerBack.jpeg.f219c53d6fd77a19f64f40e41ca21da0.jpege a heel lift - and aside from yoga class, am never with out it, but I still tilt to the left.  All of this leads to tight hips, tight psoas, tight IT bands, a wonky knee, all on my left side.  

So when I ready about the shorts I had to give them a try.

I don't know about anterior pelvic tilts, or what exactly is going on.  But something is definitely happening. First, they absolutely are like compression shorts, and they absolutely do need a joey pouch.  I haven't worn them longer than three or four hours at a time, and I won't.  Its fine for a while, but eventually the compression in that particular spot of the male anatomy is enough... I'm a boxers guy anyway, so this is way more than I'm used to.  Sorry to digress - but it is a real deal.  They do feel like compression shorts/pants.  I've got a couple pair I wear under my shorts/pants in yoga, or in the winter to stay warm when doing something outside.  Similar feel.  I cannot say I feel myself being pulled into a different position - however, something is definitely happening, I'm just not sure how to describe it.  The best evidence something is working is that I start to feel a little sore on my right side.  Remember my left is my bad side. So something is pulling things around.   It is not a pain or anything like that, just a soreness or ache.  I'm in week number three of wearing them so we'll see if that feeling goes away.   Right now I've only got one pair, and am wearing them three times a week.  

I've felt enough to know something is actually happening, so I've ordered a second pair, and ordered a shirt.  Yeah, that's expensive. But, I compare that to visiting my chiropractor and massage therapist once a month, and if this will help some long term issues, I'll consider it a good investment.   Compared to some golf clubs sitting unused in the garage, its reasonable - particularly if it helps me swing them better. (I'm on a bit of a golf fitness improvement process and am counting this as part of that) 

I'll update this again after I get the shirt - that I may try out on the course.  And update after I've had a long term run with the shorts.  But for now all I really wanted to report is that "something is happening".  I was skeptical that something would, but it is. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Thanks for sharing info on these .. was intrigued myself after I saw the first MGS article about the shirt, but yeah balked at the price.

I've had a left hip replacement and have to add like a 2 mm heel shim - in my right shoe! - to level things out. Add in some wear in the right knee, some osteoarthritis in the lower back, and some .. .. yeah I'm also a mess. (So why do guys with these kinds of structural issues gravitate towards golf???!!??)

So am curious to hear about your experience with the shorts (and also hoping they develop a more *comfortable* style!).

Oh, PS: 54 ain't an "old guy" yet 😉🤣🤪

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The shirt arrived this week.  Before I begin, I need to say I have very hunched slumped shoulders. My chiropractor and massage therapist have talked to me for years about how tight I am, and how rounded. So I may be an extreme case beyond simple repair. 

From a first impression, it was not at all what I expected. I was thinking it’d be like the shorts and feel like a compression shirt, but with some extra pull in places to gently pull my shoulders into place. Wrong. 

Its actually two shirts. One inside the other, seemed together at the neck and waist. The blue shirt you see on the outside feels like the technical fabric you’d find on any work out shirt at the gym. It’s smooth and really has no functional purpose I can discern other than to hide what is going on underneath. 
2AC2DC48-F611-495D-98FC-DE691288D32A.jpeg.64ad9519b775bd08015692b51f41f494.jpeg

the interior shirt is a black mesh and it has levers and pulleys - or stretchy and elastic parts designed to pull your shoulders back. And I do mean pull - but more on that in a minute. 
CAD739B1-8B9D-4188-9080-11839E2B6F6E.jpeg.0ad8c357f5b72bb5a66d48d52fac76f6.jpeg  E9ABC8E1-C4AB-4066-BD70-E5B88A196F60.jpeg.0a7700510277c9221385ce0c733a1618.jpeg

I wear a medium in any golf shirt, tee shirt, exercise shirt, dress shirt, you name it. I’m 5, 10 and 167 pounds. I wear a 40 suit jacket, 32 inch waist. This Forme shirt is a medium too and feels like it is way too small.  It took my three tries to get the shirt on…. The way it wants to pull across my upper chest, and the way it  binds like a rope is I tied really tight under my arm pits across my chest and back - it is the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever worn.  There is no gentle pull or realignment.  To take the pressure off and relieve the tight feeling I am actively working my back to draw the shoulders together, thrust my chest out, keep my elbows back.  Remember I said I may be an extreme case. Beyond redemption.  The shirt isn’t pulling my shoulders back, it is forcing ME to actively pull my shoulders back.  .  Not what I expected.  It may not be like this for a person with moderate slumping.

Went out to run some weekend errands with my wife, I’m feeling uncomfortable the whole time, but she says you look like you are just wearing a shirt…. Doesn’t think I’m looking strange, but I feel like I’m walking around with my chest puffed out.  

I’ve had it on for a few hours and there are times where I forget I’m doing something or wearing something, and then there are others where I want to pull it out of my arm pits.  I honestly can’t imagine wearing it while playing golf or doing an exercise, but that is today…. I’ll try that eventually.  I read about guys wearing this for recovery.  I think I need to recover from wearing it.  Again, I may be an extreme case of rounded shoulders.  So I’ll keep trying and we’ll see if there is/how much progress…

BTW, wearing the shorts today, and much more normal feeling.  Still wish it had a Joey pouch, but I’ve worn them for five hours now.  

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

Day Two with the Forme shirt.  Got it on with the first try 👍

Did my Rypsticks protocol and TPI exercise routine this morning.  Still felt very tight across the shoulders and chest, but unlike before I didn’t focus on drawing my shoulder blades back and down, I was focused on the exercise regimen.  Didn’t stop me or slow me down, and for the most part I pretty much was able to ignore, or just not notice what I was wearing. Mostly noticed when I was lying flat on my back panting…. So, that’s all a good thing.  

When I stripped it off I did see marks on my back from the arm pits curling up to the shoulders - kind of like what I see on my wife’s back when she removes her swimsuit on bra.  So it definitely snug in there.  Again, I may be an extreme case in need of correction.

I was a little concerned about this really being a dual layer shirt, but the moisture wicking elements did their job. No better or worse than some of my other exercise shirts.  Just a little tough to get off, but no worse then when I’ve really soaked a regular one.  

Wore the shirt and shorts three days in a row as I was doing my TPI exercises. Each day it felt a little less uncomfortable. Still tight in the armpits, but less uncomfortable. I’d mine to believe that means it’s working. 

so today I have to drive halfway across Nebraska so I’m wearing it in the car for four plus hours just to try and keep my shoulders relaxed. 

So I drive across NE enroute to Colorado. Half way across I stopped to overnight in Kearny and play Awarri Dunes (highly recommend if travelling I80) a course I’ve never set foot on before. Shot my lowest round of the year and second lowest ever….  75. If not for the bogey,double, bogey finish I would have broken par for the first time. (Guess when that thought crept into my brain. 

im not saying it’s the shirt. But it certainly didn’t hurt anything. 

I did feel more relaxed and less tight when I got out of the car after four hours. Wearing to today on the way back from Colorado and you can bet I’ll be wearing it in my way to Kohler next week for that eight hour drive. 

Eight hours in the car today.  Could not wait to get it off.  But I have to say, I think it’s doing it’s job.  I didn’t feel all hunched over and tight.  I just felt uncomfortable on my left side - the one where I want to slouch over, rest my arm against the door while I’m driving… you know, what you shouldn’t do.  It’s just tight in that arm pit. Feels like when a shirt is twisted up there restricting your range of motion.

I think I’m going to get a second one - more their traditional tee shirt.  I think this may be a regular thing for me to do while driving.  Slowly, slowly working on my tight shoulders and posture.