TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 MGS Ball Test

30 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

jeez.....what luck....i wonder if it was humid yesterday and the balls flew further....

Log into YouTube and ask them.  They are answering most questions that are asked.  Los if standing (sitting in Harry’s case) around. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

this was driving my daughter nuts yesterday, which I loved. She kept hearing the swings while she tried to nap. My office is the bedroom she's in while she's visiting.

I on the other hand was mesmerized by the process.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

when i saw the data from day 1, i saw every ball lumped into a very tight circle which tells me all balls are pretty much the same off a robot.....I cant wait to see people argue over 200 rpms of spin which mean absolutely NOTHING....

if a ball takes a full minute to spin 6000 times (RPM) on a 6 iron shot, and you get spin degredation of 3% per second, you wind up with 70-80% of the spin....in those 7 seconds of ball flight, the ball isnt really spinning all that fast or all that much......im more interested in apex and decent....but from that huge cluster of color, it looks like all the balls are almost identicle. 

Golf is cool

14 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

when i saw the data from day 1, i saw every ball lumped into a very tight circle which tells me all balls are pretty much the same off a robot.....I cant wait to see people argue over 200 rpms of spin which mean absolutely NOTHING....

if a ball takes a full minute to spin 6000 times (RPM) on a 6 iron shot, and you get spin degredation of 3% per second, you wind up with 70-80% of the spin....in those 7 seconds of ball flight, the ball isnt really spinning all that fast or all that much......im more interested in apex and decent....but from that huge cluster of color, it looks like all the balls are almost identicle. 

Yep,  can’t wait to see the detailed analysis.  There have been mentions of high spin balls,  balls that are extreme outliers, ball speed, and carry distance.  Will be interesting to see if something like a Tourspeed could be a good option 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is probably my fav test of all that you guys do.. Love the info that comes out of it. We had to of all known refurbished balls are crap. They make a decent shag bag option and that is it.. Glad that you included them though.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

i love this test, but i thought it would be more popular from a viewing stabdpoint.  I know its boring to non gear heads, but yesterday i saw only 20 people viewing the test

they should really have some live on going commentary from the data collection site and maybe a secondary camera near a green for when the wedge shots and 8-iron shots hit the green we can see how the balls react, spin and decend into the landing area....you can do so many things with this test to make it more viewer friendly. 

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

i love this test, but i thought it would be more popular from a viewing stabdpoint.  I know its boring to non gear heads, but yesterday i saw only 20 people viewing the test

they should really have some live on going commentary from the data collection site and maybe a secondary camera near a green for when the wedge shots and 8-iron shots hit the green we can see how the balls react, spin and decend into the landing area....you can do so many things with this test to make it more viewer friendly. 

Some gear heads don’t care to sit and watch video or day and some are off being productive in their daily lives and don’t have the time or the ability to watch a live stream

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Some gear heads don’t care to sit and watch video or day and some are off being productive in their daily lives and don’t have the time or the ability to watch a live stream

come on...what could be more important than watching a robot hit a ball every 15 seconds on youtube? 

Golf is cool

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_X said:

🤖  ✅

I love it...lol....

I really wish we had live commentary throughout the testing.  Ive watched ~ 5 hours so far and while boring AF, its also very exciting....strange way to describe it but i think were all dyimng to see the results......especially since a bad shot may actually be ball related......also dying to see the chromesoft data......

Golf is cool

• SPY VIP

Live commentary would have absolutely been cool.  That said, it was all hands on deck the whole week. Unfortunately if we were not averaging about 2 balls per minute the test would not have been completed and that was our first priority.

Moving forward though we plan to do some more LIVE testing stuff at the test facility and we will make sure to include some more commentary.

#TruthDigest

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_X said:

Live commentary would have absolutely been cool.  That said, it was all hands on deck the whole week. Unfortunately if we were not averaging about 2 balls per minute the test would not have been completed and that was our first priority.

Moving forward though we plan to do some more LIVE testing stuff at the test facility and we will make sure to include some more commentary.

I for one would be very interested in that!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I may have missed a post on this somewhere, but if they didn't take the opportunity to also test the Titleist Blind Test Balls as part of this comprehensive Ball Test - MGS missed a great opportunity.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

11 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I may have missed a post on this somewhere, but if they didn't take the opportunity to also test the Titleist Blind Test Balls as part of this comprehensive Ball Test - MGS missed a great opportunity.

MGS headquarters tests are primarily focused on golf products any consumer can buy at retail today.  The blind test balls don’t fall into that category.  

12 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Why would they test a test ball? Titleist is going to use the feedback from this as well as anyone else they sent the balls too and more than likely their tour staff and then tweak it where necessary before it goes into production if it goes into protection.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

55 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

is soft slow? that is the question......:)

What is soft?  How do balls at the same compression compare.  If you like soft is there a better soft?

On 7/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, TBT said:

Which ball performs best with a massive hangover 😂

Probably the industry standard Range' ball.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

MGS headquarters tests are primarily focused on golf products any consumer can buy at retail today.  The blind test balls don’t fall into that category.  

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why would they test a test ball? Titleist is going to use the feedback from this as well as anyone else they sent the balls too and more than likely their tour staff and then tweak it where necessary before it goes into production if it goes into protection.

Fair comments both, and I don't disagree.  I was just saying that a calibration of the test balls against the array of competitor (and their own) balls would be interesting as well useful for the tweaks.  I'm sure Titleist has done their own similar testing and know exactly how these test balls perform in these categories and against competitor balls, but alas, we don't get to see that testing.  More data is good data as far as I'm concerned - especially when it is independent 3rd party testing. 

I guess I'll wait for the 2023 Ball Test results to see how the new Titleist offerings stack up against Pinnacle range balls, and reclaimed lake balls ;).

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

23 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I am sure Titleist does not need MGS to do robot testing on their balls and Titleist has tested the "blind balls" 100x over.  as far as MGS goes, why test a ball that is not even out yet and may not ever reach the consumer market? 

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

42 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

as far as MGS goes, why test a ball that is not even out yet and may not ever reach the consumer market? 

Because MGS partnered with Titleist to help test the balls before they reach the consumer market.  That's all.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

51 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Because MGS partnered with Titleist to help test the balls before they reach the consumer market.  That's all.

...gotcha....and we know Tony loves to pimp the prov1!!!   with good reason i might add

Golf is cool

10 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

...gotcha....and we know Tony loves to pimp the prov1!!!   with good reason i might add

agree with everything in that post Tsecor. 🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Testing a non production ball provides zero value while adding some additional time to the test as well as analysis. 

Just speculation but of the number of golfers who will read the ball study there’s probably a small percentage that are aware 1) that titleist has a ball currently in white box testing 2) that mgs has a forum testing in progress for that same ball. So the juice isn’t worth the squeeze

43 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Testing a non production ball provides zero value while adding some additional time to the test as well as analysis. 

Just speculation but of the number of golfers who will read the ball study there’s probably a small percentage that are aware 1) that titleist has a ball currently in white box testing 2) that mgs has a forum testing in progress for that same ball. So the juice isn’t worth the squeeze

ok

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 7/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, GolfSpy_X said:

I would volunteer my time to be a "play by play" or a "color" guy for the next test.....we could take questions from the fans and present live preliminary data during the broadcast.   If you do it, im in......

Golf is cool

On 7/12/2021 at 11:13 PM, KC Golf said:

I like the fact they are trying “Refurbished” Pro Vs. I know they are garbage, but I would like to see how bad they really are. 

i just bought the new Pro Vs and will compare them to some prior version new Pro Vs and my regular gamer the Srixon Z-Star. Will be interested to see if I can tell the difference and whether it impacts my scores. 

I should note that I love the Srixon Z-Star. It’s a great ball.

Me too. I switched from ProVs. I played a tournament this weekend and the guy I was paired with was playing Pro V1 vs. my Z-Star. I was right next to him, or just past every time.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I can't wait to see the published results. Been following the ball labs religiously.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

No doubt. Cant wait to see. If you are testing in AZ, let me know if you need help so we can get that live commentary next time. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!