TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 MGS Ball Test

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The ball changed shortly after the first batch was sold out; probably less than a year. Golf balls are generally distinguishable by the markings.  I think the kirklands went from a “performance” to “performance+” on the ball.   I’d go look at the MGS articles about the Kirkland balls and you should be able to Gary her the information you are seeking.  

Sounds like they should have been named Performance - .

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Sounds like they should have been named Performance - .

The first iteration after the original I would agree since the cover shredded.   I don’t think there is really much wrong with the newer model, you just have to make sure that the characteristics fit into your needs.   High spin off the driver isn’t bad if you struggle to generate spin.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The first iteration after the original I would agree since the cover shredded.   I don’t think there is really much wrong with the newer model, you just have to make sure that the characteristics fit into your needs.   High spin off the driver isn’t bad if you struggle to generate spin.   

I have pretty average spin numbers throughout the bag.  What caught my eye is the loss of distance on both driver and 8i.  It was more than I would have guessed.  I've had several really good rounds using them but, at 60, distance (not giving up any) starts becoming important.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have pretty average spin numbers throughout the bag.  What caught my eye is the loss of distance on both driver and 8i.  It was more than I would have guessed.  I've had several really good rounds using them but, at 60, distance (not giving up any) starts becoming important.

I put one in play occasionally; when ball striking isn’t that good, and am happy with performance.   My friends give them to me when they find them.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

The ball changed shortly after the first batch was sold out; probably less than a year. Golf balls are generally distinguishable by the markings.  I think the kirklands went from a “performance” to “performance+” on the ball.   I’d go look at the MGS articles about the Kirkland balls and you should be able to Gary her the information you are seeking.  

Weren’t they sued for patent infringement by Achusnet for violating Pro V1’s patent?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

14 minutes ago, TBT said:

Weren’t they sued for patent infringement by Achusnet for violating Pro V1’s patent?

Probably.  There are lawsuits in the golf equipment space regularly.   From what I remember it was actually a TM ball design;  probably wrong but that is what is in my head right now.  

Lots of info to sift through here.. Some interesting info but honestly nothing that unexpected. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Anyone else surprised by the performance of the Wilson Staff Model? I have really wanted to try them out but am wary of the spin off the tee. 

I recently switched to the Titleist Tour Speed and shot a PB 76 and it felt super straight! Must have been lower spin! But then I returned to my home course and couldnt hold a single green! IS there any realistic way to reduce spin using driver/shaft combo? Or is the best bet to find something in the middle?

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

15 minutes ago, RyanJohnson_Official said:

Anyone else surprised by the performance of the Wilson Staff Model? I have really wanted to try them out but am wary of the spin off the tee. 

I recently switched to the Titleist Tour Speed and shot a PB 76 and it felt super straight! Must have been lower spin! But then I returned to my home course and couldnt hold a single green! IS there any realistic way to reduce spin using driver/shaft combo? Or is the best bet to find something in the middle?

The problem with wilson has never really been their actual products. its that they have horribly inconsistent and confusing marketing. They make bad decision after bad decision. The ball is solid. I would avoid the weird raw ball though. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I've been playing the TP5.  I hit the X a little longer but it feels slightly firmer than I'd like.  I love everything about the TP5 except the price.  I've been looking for something cheaper without sacrificing too much.  After the '19 test and this one as well I'm thinking Maxfli might just be the ticket.  I know feel is subjective but does anyone have an opinion of the Maxfli Tour & X feel compared to the TP5/X?  Thanks

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, RyanJohnson_Official said:

Definitely can reduce the spin by changing the head or the loft of the club you play, shaft tends to have less of an effect. Your signature says you are playing a Mavrik which is not the lowest spinning head. Try to find a fitter and try heads like the Epic Max LS or SIM2 those should help. As many advise for your driver to the ball not the other way around so you can bomb it and hold the greens. Also tip if you can when trying clubs bring the ball you play so your not guessing if it works for your gamer ball.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 8/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, Thin2win said:

I'm always struggling to get above 2k spin with a driver, so I go the other direction. But generally speaking in terms of shear distance, 17° launch at 1700 rpm will fly the ball the furthest. if you launch it lower, you want more spin, and higher(!?) less spin. that said, you lose a lot of control with those numbers. I think for a control /distance balance, college players try to get around 2200 rpm of backspin, tour pros actual average higher, like 2700 so they are leaving distance on the table, but they hit it far enough that control is more important i guess. 

Slower swing speeds can benefit from more spin to help keep the ball in the air longer, so for some 3k+ would probably be ideal. But for the most part, somewhere around 2500 for us amateur's is probably about right. Again, very generally speaking, using what little I know 😃

pros purposely leave distance on the table. when you look at the average drive by a tour pro, its not as long as you think or typically see on the television. Sure we see Rory, DJ and Bryson bomb it 340 from time to time but only 30% of players average 300 and guys like Spieth are around 295. 

IMO the ball is so important for an amateur. I think it can make a big impact on ones game, far and above going to a fitting and hitting a 6 iron for 20 shots and then buying a whole set of irons based only on the 6 iron. To me, this type of fitting make NO SENSE... why would you fit yourself for a ball by starting with the "green back" theory but you wouldnt fit the clubs the same way? 

anyway, i found the Chromesoft is very good for me off the tee and irons, but i think i could benefit from more greenside spin, so im still searching for the unicorn of golf balls......im hoping the new left dot titleist checks those boxes

Golf is cool

17 hours ago, RyanJohnson_Official said:

I think you've got two issues here that need to be separated from a fitting perspective, but will ultimately leave you with the same ball recommendation. 1) generally, when folks refer to holding greens, they're talking about the combination of iron spin and descent angle. You can get away with a lower-spinning ball if you have a steeper descent angle, which is how the Z-Star XV has one of the shortest roll-outs in the test despite not being the highest-spinning. 2) the absolute best way to reduce driver spin is the head model you choose. Between the ball and the head, you're 95%+ resolved. Shaft isn't not important, but keeping the same ball, same head and just swapping shafts, you're (probably) not going to be able to tell the difference day to day.

All that to say, if you struggle holding greens with the Tour Speed, I wouldn't make a driver setup change. I'd make a ball change.

14 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Definitely can reduce the spin by changing the head or the loft of the club you play, shaft tends to have less of an effect. Your signature says you are playing a Mavrik which is not the lowest spinning head. Try to find a fitter and try heads like the Epic Max LS or SIM2 those should help. As many advise for your driver to the ball not the other way around so you can bomb it and hold the greens. Also tip if you can when trying clubs bring the ball you play so your not guessing if it works for your gamer ball.

Depends. The Epic Max LS isn't the lowest-spinning of the Epic lineup, it's just slightly lower spin than the Epic Max. Epic Speed is lowest-spinning of the Epic lineup, but it's nowhere near the lowest-spinning on the market. To reduce spin, look for the combination of less loft and moving the CG forward/closer to the face. If you need a little more launch, loft up, but keep the CG forward. (Keeping in mind that the more forward the weight, the less stable the clubhead. Pull the weight back and you'll get more spin and more stability.)

If you want the outright lowest-spinning head, look no further than the TSi4. But there's no way you should game that driver...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

17 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

IMO the ball is so important for an amateur. I think it can make a big impact on ones game, far and above going to a fitting and hitting a 6 iron for 20 shots and then buying a whole set of irons based only on the 6 iron. To me, this type of fitting make NO SENSE... why would you fit yourself for a ball by starting with the "green back" theory but you wouldnt fit the clubs the same way? 

anyway, i found the Chromesoft is very good for me off the tee and irons, but i think i could benefit from more greenside spin, so im still searching for the unicorn of golf balls......im hoping the new left dot titleist checks those boxes

You would fit yourself backwards from green to driver. With your recent fitting experience and doubts I get why your are skeptical on club fittings. A fitting is based on a 6 or 7 iron because that’s usually where the set depending on design starts to split. While I think everyone would agree that fitting each club in an irons set would be the most optimal way of getting loft, lie and length dialed in or even figuring out if a combo set would be best from a time and fitting purpose it’s not possible, not only would a fitter need every club from every manufacturer but every shaft at each length, that’s just not remotely financially feasible. The set can be baselines off the 6 or 7i.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 8/17/2021 at 6:32 PM, Thin2win said:

Oh sure, they day after the ball test comes out Vice launches a  "fused" urethane cover ball @ $22/ dozen....SmartSelect_20210817-182937_Chrome.jpg.c7c11fee02d6ee98676ddb8362121673.jpg

I looked on their website and cannot seem to find these. 

4 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I looked on their website and cannot seem to find these. 

I got the link via email as a prior customer. I'll PM it to you since I don't think I'm supposed to put links in the forums. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

47 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You would fit yourself backwards from green to driver. With your recent fitting experience and doubts I get why your are skeptical on club fittings. A fitting is based on a 6 or 7 iron because that’s usually where the set depending on design starts to split. While I think everyone would agree that fitting each club in an irons set would be the most optimal way of getting loft, lie and length dialed in or even figuring out if a combo set would be best from a time and fitting purpose it’s not possible, not only would a fitter need every club from every manufacturer but every shaft at each length, that’s just not remotely financially feasible. The set can be baselines off the 6 or 7i.

lol...yea i definitely need to work out my issues on this...i am totally skepticle  

I would love to see iron fitting start with the wedge, just like the ball. Marry up the two throughout the entire process. I understand the split at the 6/7 iron but i think that is all the more reason to treat fittings much differently.  I was told i should play the same shaft with both sides of the split.....why do a fitting then if you just assume the same shaft is optima throughout the bag.....unles its a utility...makes no sense to me..... i would think a different shaft in the 4-5-6 irons could be very different than the 7-PW set up....maybe not but i was told I should keep them the same...

Golf is cool

16 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

lol...yea i definitely need to work out my issues on this...i am totally skepticle  

I would love to see iron fitting start with the wedge, just like the ball. Marry up the two throughout the entire process. I understand the split at the 6/7 iron but i think that is all the more reason to treat fittings much differently.  I was told i should play the same shaft with both sides of the split.....why do a fitting then if you just assume the same shaft is optima throughout the bag.....unles its a utility...makes no sense to me..... i would think a different shaft in the 4-5-6 irons could be very different than the 7-PW set up....maybe not but i was told I should keep them the same...

Looks like you need an edel fitting, every club custom. 😉

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

17 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

How many golfers do you know that have one shaft in their scoring irons (not wedges) and their mid irons? Most of the time the shaft split occurs at the long iron starting at 4 depending on the golfer. When you start getting into the the spot from irons to the driving iron/hybrid and then woods is where the spit comes. Why not have a different shaft in every club then. Why just the 4-5-6 each be different while 7-whatever wedge a person decides to use from a set. 

The in the wedges depending on whether someone has a set wedge or a specialty wedge. A wedge fitting is more about getting the right grind and bounce for the setup of the course(s) one plays and how they use the wedge. This is a specialty club and not necessarily part of the iron game. The wedge and shaft setup will change because that part of the game is about distance and flight control of the ball and spin. So one theoretically would find their wedge setup then start the iron aspect of fitting and setup.

Maybe look at going to TPI and doing a full bag fitting including ball and see how it goes and what works best. You will get the full experience of the fitting process 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

18 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Here's my ideal process under the assumption that all full-swing activities need two days worth of data because your swing is slightly different day to day--

Day One:
- Warm up then evaluation with current clubs and gamer ball; discuss strengths/weaknesses, likes/dislikes
- ball fitting using current clubs
- Putter fitting
- Short, mid, long iron fitting (GW, 9, 7, 5) using new ball

Day Two:
- Check putter fit from day one
- warm up then short, mid, long iron fitting (PW, 8, 6, 4) using new ball
- woods/hybrid fitting (gapping based on where you ended the top end of your iron fit) using new ball

Day Three:
- warm up then woods/hybrid fitting using new ball
- wedge fitting (gapping based on where you ended the bottom end of your bag) using new ball; double-check specialty wedges vs set wedges
- ball fitting check with 2-3 representative shots from each segment of the bag

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Haven't gone through every comment on this thread and not sure if its already been mentioned, but I was disappointed to not see Callaway's ERC Soft within this ball test. : ( 

I game the MTB Blacks and ProV1s, and it's not surprising that I like them both quite a bit for they're similar in compression and overall both have balanced characteristics. Yet this past Sunday, I unexpectedly lost my ball at the 14th hole and had a buddy quickly toss me an ERC Soft ... went bogey, birdie, par, birdie over the final 4 holes. Did the new ball cause those birdies, no, for I found a groove in my swing at that point. But I certainly liked the feel of the ERC Soft. 

If anything, I might give the Chrome Soft LS a try and see how they fit with my game after seeing some of it's performance data on this test. 

Ever helpful as always MGS! Thank you for providing this detailed test for us. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How many golfers do you know that have one shaft in their scoring irons (not wedges) and their mid irons? Most of the time the shaft split occurs at the long iron starting at 4 depending on the golfer. When you start getting into the the spot from irons to the driving iron/hybrid and then woods is where the spit comes. Why not have a different shaft in every club then. Why just the 4-5-6 each be different while 7-whatever wedge a person decides to use from a set. 

The in the wedges depending on whether someone has a set wedge or a specialty wedge. A wedge fitting is more about getting the right grind and bounce for the setup of the course(s) one plays and how they use the wedge. This is a specialty club and not necessarily part of the iron game. The wedge and shaft setup will change because that part of the game is about distance and flight control of the ball and spin. So one theoretically would find their wedge setup then start the iron aspect of fitting and setup.

Maybe look at going to TPI and doing a full bag fitting including ball and see how it goes and what works best. You will get the full experience of the fitting process 

i think to cure my skepticle attitude, that may be the best for me. Even if the results came out exactly the same, at least I would know all stones have been turned over and ive eliminated all my bias and all my questions....

im such a head case this season and i dont know why, but ive been doing my own ball fitting on course....ive bought most major manufactures newest ball and ive found that certain balls do not work for me at all (V1X) and certain balls do very well (CS). on course play is so much different than hitting off a mat inside a booth.....i dont think ball fitting inside works at all...its just numbers on a screen. how the ball performs off hardpan, or from the rough or through the wind means a lot. Last night i played in high humidity with a 20 mph wind (Hurricane fred was coming in) and i used two balls....CS and Prov1.....the prov1 was noticeably better in these conditions, especially the wind.  I wish i could test a slew of new irons outside off of grass conditions but we all know that is really hard to come by. 

Golf is cool

11 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i think to cure my skepticle attitude, that may be the best for me. Even if the results came out exactly the same, at least I would know all stones have been turned over and ive eliminated all my bias and all my questions....

I’d recommend stepping back and figuring out what you are trying to accomplish.  I know “looking for the best X for me”.  Having hit lots of clubs I have found there is very little difference and you reach the point of good enough.  You just don’t want a club that is a really bad fit. Pick a set based on the 6 iron. You can determine this based on indoor fittings.   Once you get the clubs,  establish proper gapping to maximize performance from club to club.  From there work on understanding the patterns with each club And how to fill the distance gaps;  this takes lots of shots over a period of time.  

I don’t think trying to turn over every stone is a good option.  I say this because you don’t seem like the person that try’s clubs just because you like trying different things.   you seem to be searching for perfection,  I don’t think you will ever find it.  

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’d recommend stepping back and figuring out what you are trying to accomplish.  I know “looking for the best X for me”.  Having hit lots of clubs I have found there is very little difference and you reach the point of good enough.  You just don’t want a club that is a really bad fit. Pick a set based on the 6 iron. You can determine this based on indoor fittings.   Once you get the clubs,  establish proper gapping to maximize performance from club to club.  From there work on understanding the patterns with each club And how to fill the distance gaps;  this takes lots of shots over a period of time.  

I don’t think trying to turn over every stone is a good option.  I say this because you don’t seem like the person that try’s clubs just because you like trying different things.   you seem to be searching for perfection,  I don’t think you will ever find it.  

lol.....yea....i look in the mirror quite a bit and ask myself "what do you realy want vs what do i need".....i find 'wants" sometimes exceeds what i need......from a ball perspective...im trying to determine if 500 extra RPM's on a 50 yard wedge shot means anything at all.....or does spin make any difference on a bump and runs......in my head, spin ultimately matters off the driver and long irons...but much less off shorter shots that have steep angles of descent.....a shot that lasts 5 seconds in the air can only spin so much....

Golf is cool

34 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

im such a head case this season and i dont know why, but ive been doing my own ball fitting on course....ive bought most major manufactures newest ball and ive found that certain balls do not work for me at all (V1X) and certain balls do very well (CS). on course play is so much different than hitting off a mat inside a booth.....i dont think ball fitting inside works at all...its just numbers on a screen. how the ball performs off hardpan, or from the rough or through the wind means a lot. Last night i played in high humidity with a 20 mph wind (Hurricane fred was coming in) and i used two balls....CS and Prov1.....the prov1 was noticeably better in these conditions, especially the wind.  I wish i could test a slew of new irons outside off of grass conditions but we all know that is really hard to come by. 

You in the paralysis by analysis face and you want a very doctored to you approach to every aspect of golf and that doesn’t exist in the current environment. The ball is an easy piece to test. Take several days on different holes in different lies and conditions. Hit different shots and find what works best overall. There’s going to be balls that work well around the green and not so well off driver..:this is why in a full bag fitting titleist fits driver to the ball and not the ball to the driver. Also why they start with the ball and work backwards thru the bag. 

You are correct indoor fittings aren’t going to give you a true representation of ball flight and there will be some difference in spin and launch off a mat or artificial turf indoors compared to off grass. Also the launch monitor used indoor is going to have variations in reading compared to outdoor or from inside a bay studio bay going out to a grass range. The numbers however aren’t necessarily insignificant. They will give you an understanding of what the club and shaft are doing and if it’s optimized for your swing, but if you want a true representation for your sanity then an outdoor fitting on grass is what you should do. Then if you really want to see if it works best for you find one of the online stores that offers demos for rent and play with it. Try other brands with similar setups.

36 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think this is mostly the reason that the YouTube golfers stopped doing a lot of club reviews... they are all so similar, and they are all pretty good. I like my irons, but I have no doubt that switching to any other comparable model by any other brand wouldn't affect my scoring. 

WITB:

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You in the paralysis by analysis face and you want a very doctored to you approach to every aspect of golf and that doesn’t exist in the current environment. The ball is an easy piece to test. Take several days on different holes in different lies and conditions. Hit different shots and find what works best overall. There’s going to be balls that work well around the green and not so well off driver..:this is why in a full bag fitting titleist fits driver to the ball and not the ball to the driver. Also why they start with the ball and work backwards thru the bag. 

You are correct indoor fittings aren’t going to give you a true representation of ball flight and there will be some difference in spin and launch off a mat or artificial turf indoors compared to off grass. Also the launch monitor used indoor is going to have variations in reading compared to outdoor or from inside a bay studio bay going out to a grass range. The numbers however aren’t necessarily insignificant. They will give you an understanding of what the club and shaft are doing and if it’s optimized for your swing, but if you want a true representation for your sanity then an outdoor fitting on grass is what you should do. Then if you really want to see if it works best for you find one of the online stores that offers demos for rent and play with it. Try other brands with similar setups.

i am actually enjoying my ball testing this summer....i never really thought all the premium balls would play so differently from one another but my eyes are opened.  Playability of a ball, for me, is extremely important....that encompasses feel, flight, driver distance and greenside performance....as far as irons go....im lost right now....lol....

the scary thing is, next week i play for my club championship with a head full of mush.....its not going to go well if i cannot shed all this stuff.....should be interesting.....i need that left dot ball for next week!!!

Golf is cool

34 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i am actually enjoying my ball testing this summer....i never really thought all the premium balls would play so differently from one another but my eyes are opened.  Playability of a ball, for me, is extremely important....that encompasses feel, flight, driver distance and greenside performance....as far as irons go....im lost right now....lol....

the scary thing is, next week i play for my club championship with a head full of mush.....its not going to go well if i cannot shed all this stuff.....should be interesting.....i need that left dot ball for next week!!!

Analysis Paralysis is a very real phenomenon that I think many of us have gone through at one point or another, especially when one is analytical in nature. 

I know this sounds cliche and I'm sure it's been mentioned many a times on a different thread, but sometimes a hard timeout from the game golf for several days or even several weeks, usually proves to be extremely beneficial. I can't think of another sport (and I'm sure there are many) where a crisis in confidence and self-doubt can lead to such negative results the way the sport of golf does. 

You're a 12 handicap, and I'd imagine a score in the mid 80s range is typical for you ... I know this is easier said than done, but in all seriousness, you've got this. Stay positive, exude positive energy and good results will come. 🙂 On the days that I'm playing well, I've noticed after the round, that I was fully committed to each shot in real time and that I accepted whatever the result was of that shot. Why worry about the next shot when I don't know what it's going to be. Now, does that happen every time ... NEVER! LOL That's the beauty of golf. 

Keep at it! We've all been in your situation before. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I think this is mostly the reason that the YouTube golfers stopped doing a lot of club reviews... they are all so similar, and they are all pretty good. I like my irons, but I have no doubt that switching to any other comparable model by any other brand wouldn't affect my scoring. 

When did this happen? There are no shortage of online club reviews... This is a huge part of what TXG does. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, mikeanthony said:

Analysis Paralysis is a very real phenomenon that I think many of us have gone through at one point or another, especially when one is analytical in nature. 

I know this sounds cliche and I'm sure it's been mentioned many a times on a different thread, but sometimes a hard timeout from the game golf for several days or even several weeks, usually proves to be extremely beneficial. I can't think of another sport (and I'm sure there are many) where a crisis in confidence and self-doubt can lead to such negative results the way the sport of golf does. 

You're a 12 handicap, and I'd imagine a score in the mid 80s range is typical for you ... I know this is easier said than done, but in all seriousness, you've got this. Stay positive, exude positive energy and good results will come. 🙂 On the days that I'm playing well, I've noticed after the round, that I was fully committed to each shot in real time and that I accepted whatever the result was of that shot. Why worry about the next shot when I don't know what it's going to be. Now, does that happen every time ... NEVER! LOL That's the beauty of golf. 

Keep at it! We've all been in your situation before. 

if that is a real thing, im living it right now......yea, that pretty much sums up my game.....on a good day i can get to 77-78 but consistently im 82-85. But you are right, i am super analytical....to a fault sometimes

Yesterday I was so "in my own head" that i tried to think of some music to help ease my mind  and i found myself standing over the ball singing "

Golf is cool