Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Shaft Help

Hello, first post so bear with me. 

I took my first golf lesson this past weekend and after some full swing drills with the 7i we moved to a quick driver tune up. I have a Ping G410 Plus with the Ping Xstiff shaft and was averaging 121 club head speed. My instructor was videoing me the entire time. I was missing left which is normal and then it was going further left...which is normal! However, when we slowed down the video my shaft was "kicking" too soon. My instructor said I needed a different shaft and maybe even have it "tipped". I'm not too familiar with the process but I trust him. He recommended the following shafts: Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2, and Project X Hzrdus Black. Now I need your opinions on these different shafts and if you have had any experience with them. I'm somewhat green still when it comes to golf but any help I can get I'll take it!

Thank you

2 minutes ago, SlikHands said:

I took my first golf lesson this past weekend and after some full swing drills with the 7i we moved to a quick driver tune up. I have a Ping G410 Plus with the Ping Xstiff shaft and was averaging 121 club head speed. My instructor was videoing me the entire time. I was missing left which is normal and then it was going further left...which is normal! However, when we slowed down the video my shaft was "kicking" too soon. My instructor said I needed a different shaft and maybe even have it "tipped". I'm not too familiar with the process but I trust him. He recommended the following shafts: Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2, and Project X Hzrdus Black. Now I need your opinions on these different shafts and if you have had any experience with them. I'm somewhat green still when it comes to golf but any help I can get I'll take it!

Thank you

I can tell you from experience the hzrdus smoke shaft is pretty stout. It has a stiff tip and mid section where it is a bit softer around the handle. Many would say it feels boardy. The other shafts I cannot speak on since I haven’t used them

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

17 hours ago, SlikHands said:

Thank you

Your instructor is trying to get the tip of you shaft stiffer.  Tipping a shaft means to cut some length off from the tip section;  this also stiffens the tip.  If you are going to go the route of tipping the shaft I would recommend you go 1/4” at a time because you can’t add the length back if you go too far.  

All the recommended shafts are considered tip stiff and are generally inexpensive.   what you will get are opinions that will say I like the shaft or don’t like the shaft. All of them are decent shafts, but you will need to decided which on is best for you.  I have hit or played all the shafts and they all were fine.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, SlikHands said:

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2, and Project X Hzrdus Black.

The black is going to be the stiffest tip of them and as mentioned will have the bes chance of feeling boardy. The beef of the shaft is in the mid section. This will be the shaft that has the tendency of the three to be the lowest launch and lowest spinningz

The kuro kage is going to get stiffer from the tip to the butt. It will be the softest tip of the 3 but still a good stiff tip 

The proforce is in the middle of the 3 in launch and spin design. Will be a stiffer tip than the kuro kage

Assuming the shaft you have is the ping tour it is a counterbalanced design based off the ust elements chrome+. Do you have the 65 or 76g version? Is it the ping tour shaft?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The black is going to be the stiffest tip of them and as mentioned will have the bes chance of feeling boardy. The beef of the shaft is in the mid section. This will be the shaft that has the tendency of the three to be the lowest launch and lowest spinningz

The kuro kage is going to get stiffer from the tip to the butt. It will be the softest tip of the 3 but still a good stiff tip 

The proforce is in the middle of the 3 in launch and spin design. Will be a stiffer tip than the kuro kage

Assuming the shaft you have is the ping tour it is a counterbalanced design based off the ust elements chrome+. Do you have the 65 or 76g version? Is it the ping tour shaft?

Yes sir it is the Ping Tour 65 in Xstiff. It'll be for sale when I order a new shaft...any interest? Lol

1 minute ago, SlikHands said:

Yes sir it is the Ping Tour 65 in Xstiff. It'll be for sale when I order a new shaft...any interest? Lol

So yeah that’s a counterbalanced design. Fortunately it’s the stiffer version compared to the 75g one. Your instructor is getting you away from a counterbalance design with the 3 shafts listed in your post. 

No interest as I play the 65 stiff in that shaft or go with the hzrdus yellow in 60 or 70g 6.0 when I play ping. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t necessarily disagree with the advice but the video should be taken with a grain of salt due to the vertical shutter effect. Unless it’s super slow mo it’s a camera trick that can make the shaft look like it’s bending well forward at impact but it’s not typically reflective of what’s actually happening.

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2