TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Speed? Should i be trying to gain more speed?

Hey everyone.  Just for a bit of a reference, Im 37 and started golfing at 18.  Played every other sport you can think off but only used to golf maybe once or twice a year.  Just recently started golfing seriously a year ago and went from a 30hcp to a 17hcp (I contribute this to actually playing golf regularly now).    

Typically i Drive the ball anywhere from 240-290 and i would say an average for me is 260 (230 Carry).  I recently got a launch monitor (Voice Caddie SC300i) and saw that my Driver swing speed is 89MPH.  I was kind of surprised as i thought i was more on the 100-105 range of swing speed (Looking at generic swing speed/distance charts).  Like everyone else, i would love more distance.

I currently play a stiff shaft.  Should i be working on gaining more club head speed? Should i be looking to play a regular flex shaft? Or should i just keep doing what I am doing?

This is also making me question my irons as i also play a stiff shaft.  But ill leave that to another topic as ive been hitting my irons pretty well.

THANKS!

Driver (10.5): Taylormade SIM2 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S)
3-Wood (13.5): Taylormade SIM2 TI (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X)
Irons (2I, 4I-7I, 8I-PW): Mizuno MP-20/MMC/HMB (Steelfiber i95 Stiff)
GW (51/11): Cleveland CBX 2 (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
SW (56/12): Cleveland CBX Full Face (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
LW (62/6): Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
Putter: Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 Center Shaft
Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

7 minutes ago, ChasenLogan said:

Hey everyone.  Just for a bit of a reference, Im 37 and started golfing at 18.  Played every other sport you can think off but only used to golf maybe once or twice a year.  Just recently started golfing seriously a year ago and went from a 30hcp to a 17hcp (I contribute this to actually playing golf regularly now).    

Typically i Drive the ball anywhere from 240-290 and i would say an average for me is 260 (230 Carry).  I recently got a launch monitor (Voice Caddie SC300i) and saw that my Driver swing speed is 89MPH.  I was kind of surprised as i thought i was more on the 100-105 range of swing speed (Looking at generic swing speed/distance charts).  Like everyone else, i would love more distance.

I currently play a stiff shaft.  Should i be working on gaining more club head speed? Should i be looking to play a regular flex shaft? Or should i just keep doing what I am doing?

This is also making me question my irons as i also play a stiff shaft.  But ill leave that to another topic as ive been hitting my irons pretty well.

THANKS!

What are your goals?   Faster swing speed lets you hit the ball farther; the farther you hit the ball the shorter club you can take into the green.  Based on strokes gained logic longer is definitely better.    Speed can be obtained by fixing swing issues or doing speed training.    

Shaft flex really isn't related to swing speed.  Many people like to make that correlation but there isn't a standard associated with shaft flex; meaning one companies stiff is another companies regular.   Shaft flex is more about how you load and unload the shaft through your swing.   

The only real way to determine if you need a different shaft would be to get a fitting or do your own experimentation on a launch monitor.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Working to get more speed will be beneficial but you don’t want to sacrifice technique or make it worse to get faster.

First of all there’s no standard when it comes to flex in shafts. Each brand measures them differently and even within the same brand their different lines will play differently in the same flex. Unless you wanted to buy the same shaft in a different flex you could end up down a rabbit hole. Also swing speed is not as important to choosing flex. The way a person loads the shaft is more important.

Based on the wide range of distance you have the better focus would probably be on improving your swing to be more consistent. 

When practicing write down the numbers from each swing and note the contact point on the face. Then compare the data to see what your swing is doing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What are your goals?   Faster swing speed lets you hit the ball farther; the farther you hit the ball the shorter club you can take into the green.  Based on strokes gained logic longer is definitely better.    Speed can be obtained by fixing swing issues or doing speed training.    

Shaft flex really isn't related to swing speed.  Many people like to make that correlation but there isn't a standard associated with shaft flex; meaning one companies stiff is another companies regular.   Shaft flex is more about how you load and unload the shaft through your swing.   

The only real way to determine if you need a different shaft would be to get a fitting or do your own experimentation on a launch monitor. 

My driver is definitely the weakest part of my game, so I should really fix any swing issues first or get fit.  Glad to hear that shaft flex isn't really correlated much to swing speed.   I do feel more comfortable with a stiff flex vs reg flex and like you said its probably due to how i load and unload.  

I never had a proper lesson so I'm fairly sure I'm due for a fitting or more hours and hours of trial and error practices, hahaha.

25 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

When practicing write down the numbers from each swing and note the contact point on the face. Then compare the data to see what your swing is doing.

I will definitely need to incorporate more detail oriented practice.  Thanks for the tip!  I will be more mindful of what i am doing with each swing.

16 minutes ago, ChasenLogan said:

My driver is definitely the weakest part of my game, so I should really fix any swing issues first or get fit.

IMO both. The right set up can help you reach your potential. I've recently gone through some driver struggles and now checked my setup with a fitter and focused on improving and I am starting to see progress. Ymmv

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, ChasenLogan said:

so I should really fix any swing issues first or get fit. 

Chicken and egg scenario, but really you can do both. The chances of going to get fit and then getting fit and having the club specs change drastically on you from swing changes is going to be small.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Yes, you should 100% chase more speed… it will improve your scores and, honestly, it’s fun. There is a direct correlation between swing speed and handicap.

How you chase speed is a very different question… the stack system has some great reviews and very smart names behind it. Speed sticks are well known and proven effective.

You can also gain speed in the gym (and lifting weights is good for you). I’ve been using fit for golf and really like it.

you can combine weightlifting with speed training as well.

you can also just go to the range and swing as hard as you can… intention in very important… swinging faster is a result of trying to swing faster… being able to track your speed is important, though!

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Its honing in the right swing for you and speed as well. I have lost a few MPH over the past year but have somewhat corrected my overall swing which has given me a more consistent distance. 

In short I would recommend figuring out swing but with 89 MPH SS getting 260 out of the ball seems pretty legitimate to me (not sure if anyone else has better expertise here) and points to you are swinging well, so maybe you could just focus on speed?

image.png.d15f9f021a75e0e6c5ad6f722ae6aa62.png

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

More club head speed is definitely beneficial as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of worse dispersion (fewer fairways?) and/or less consistent contact (in which case you may not improve distance). Case by case?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
24 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Its honing in the right swing for you and speed as well. I have lost a few MPH over the past year but have somewhat corrected my overall swing which has given me a more consistent distance. 

In short I would recommend figuring out swing but with 89 MPH SS getting 260 out of the ball seems pretty legitimate to me (not sure if anyone else has better expertise here) and points to you are swinging well, so maybe you could just focus on speed?

Yes with a swing speed of 89 to 90 getting 260 total is about as good as it gets. Ian from TXG always uses 2.7 times the club head speed as the potential total of a well fit driver, giving optimal launch and spin. So 260 is even more than that so swing speed might be a bit low on that radar. If 260 is average and can get out to 290 on the right hole speed of 100 makes more sense. 

On the topic of the thread more speed is fun to chase and will help scoring. I have gained some speed with the driver and now on my home course often have less than 100 in which for sure helps scoring.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 4 weeks later...

To answer your question, YES.  You should do everything you can to gain swing speed, everything.  The journey alone will make you love the game of golf even more.  Reaching a par 5 in 2 is an adrenaline rush.  I just turned 48 and my ball speed has been recorded at around 165s (calculated Swing speed 112 mph).

I was wondering, can you provide your Ball Speed average?   A lot of launch monitors calculate your Swing Speed using some formula so I don't trust it.  However, they all measure ball speed.  You can then take that number and compare it with data available on the internet.

Also, swing speed (or ball speed) does not equate to shaft stiffness.  Here's where you want to get a trusted, and I mean trusted, fitter.  To determine the right shaft stiffness, you need to understand the load you put on a club and most of all FEEL.  For example, a short swing with an aggressive transition will need a stiffer shaft than someone with a long swing  with a smoother transition.  Softer shafts also feel so much better than stiffer ones, but you lose some control.  it's a balancing act, and as you swing faster, the balance becomes harder to meet.

https://swingmangolf.com/average-golf-swing-speed-chart-2/

Taylormade SIM2 8* w/ Smoke RDX Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15* w/ Aldila Rogue White 70x

Taylormade Stealth 19* w/ RDX Smoke Red 70x

Mizuno MP 223 w/ Nippon 120 Stiff

Bettinardi  Studio Stock 28

On 7/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, Lacassem said:

This chart is terrible. Low end tour pro swings at ~110mph, yet only carries it 230? Yikes. 

I am 50 and just put the numbers up below this week. I play with some younger plus cap/ex mini tour guys who hit it 30 to 50 yards past me. Hard to compete with them, so yes, distance that is playable matters a lot. Make sure your technique is sound (get lessons if needed), lift weights, and speed train. Likely much more in the tank for you.

Screenshot_20210801-081626_Chrome.jpg

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

31 minutes ago, jtgavigan said:

This chart is terrible. Low end tour pro swings at ~110mph, yet only carries it 230? Yikes. 

I am 50 and just put the numbers up below this week. I play with some younger plus cap/ex mini tour guys who hit it 30 to 50 yards past me. Hard to compete with them, so yes, distance that is playable matters a lot. Make sure your technique is sound (get lessons if needed), lift weights, and speed train. Likely much more in the tank for you.

Screenshot_20210801-081626_Chrome.jpg

I think the key word to that is “approximate” obviously your pros are in that 280-300 realm or more. I think they’re just labeling it as such I so you have a reference not that 110=230

plenty of times I swing 110 and only get 250….poor swing sometimes!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Even when I was missing off the heel, I was still carrying the ball 255 on my very worst hits and that was on a shorter driver and swinging 108 on average. I would doubt that there is a guy who has fully exempt status on the PGA tour still carrying it 230 (no more Corey Pavin or Fred Funk). Probably low end swing speed might be 105mph and carrying it 255 ro 260. Tour guys rarely miss the sweet spot.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

KJ Choi is now last (206th) at 268 yards.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html

I’m 54 years old and I am certainly trying to gain more speed. No illusions in my mind… I’m just trying to get back what I’ve lost.  Doing the Rypstick program as well as their fitness program.  Been working at it all summer and have seen gains.  Actually looking forward to what next summer may hold as I didn’t start this until May. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 7/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, cnosil said:

What are your goals?   

I really think you need to consider the answer to this question first.  You're already driving the ball far enough to dangerous from the white tees.  If your goals are about enjoyment or consistency or something, then maybe chasing speed should be on the backburner for now.  If you're playing normal tees and just playing with friends, short game or putting might be the best way to improve your score.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, myherobobhope said:

Yes, you should 100% chase more speed… it will improve your scores and, honestly, it’s fun. There is a direct correlation between swing speed and handicap.

Regardless of your goals I'd imagine this is what you wanted to hear.  I also don't disagree with the statement at all.  Again, I don't think chasing speed is the best way to lower your scores given what you've said about your game, but it probably won't hurt and you'll probably do it regardless.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

1 hour ago, bonvivantva said:

You're already driving the ball far enough to dangerous from the white tees.

He’s 37 and swinging the club 89 mph… I’m out of shape and 39 and swing over 110… it’s not apples to apples, obviously, and I have some huge genetic advantages (mostly long forearms) but anyone in their 30s-40s should be trying to get over 100 unless they have physical limitations. 

Short of going really crazy, it shouldn’t kill your dispersion… and some people do better when they are just swinging for the fences… 

ive gotten back in weightlifting for golf with the hope it helps my overall health, while also helping my swing (speed, stamina, control and flexibility)… 

the speed training route is fine, but probably more perilous. Adding strength and building fast twitch muscle and then working on INTENTION can be a huge net positive on the tee box. 

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:37 PM, myherobobhope said:

He’s 37 and swinging the club 89 mph… I’m out of shape and 39 and swing over 110… it’s not apples to apples, obviously, and I have some huge genetic advantages (mostly long forearms) but anyone in their 30s-40s should be trying to get over 100 unless they have physical limitations. 

Short of going really crazy, it shouldn’t kill your dispersion… and some people do better when they are just swinging for the fences… 

ive gotten back in weightlifting for golf with the hope it helps my overall health, while also helping my swing (speed, stamina, control and flexibility)… 

the speed training route is fine, but probably more perilous. Adding strength and building fast twitch muscle and then working on INTENTION can be a huge net positive on the tee box. 

I don't disagree with you in general, but my point was that he is putting the ball 260 out from the tee on average according to his OP.  Unless he is playing from the tips, his ability to score is not inhibited by his current distance off the tee.  If he is currently finding tee shots 260 out and in play, I wouldn't mess with that if I was looking to improve my scoring.  But again, I'm not sure of the OP's goals.

Also, at 37 and given his stated distance I'd imagine he'd stand to gain more by addressing technique rather than strength training.  As you stated yourself, getting to 100 at that age shouldn't be an issue unless there are some physical limitations which means the limitations that exist are likely technical.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

To add to the great advice that has already been given, don't just focus on building up your swing speed. Put in the time to also make sure your body can handle the higher swing speed consistently. So in addition to swing speed training, remember to put time in to flexibility and conditioning training.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

5 minutes ago, MNUte said:

To add to the great advice that has already been given, don't just focus on building up your swing speed. Put in the time to also make sure your body can handle the higher swing speed consistently. So in addition to swing speed training, remember to put time in to flexibility and conditioning training.

This is great advice, especially for someone in their late 30s who hasn't realized they're mortal yet

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

55 minutes ago, bonvivantva said:

I don't disagree with you in general, but my point was that he is putting the ball 260 out from the tee on average according to his OP.  Unless he is playing from the tips, his ability to score is not inhibited by his current distance off the tee.  If he is currently finding tee shots 260 out and in play, I wouldn't mess with that if I was looking to improve my scoring.  But again, I'm not sure of the OP's goals.

Also, at 37 and given his stated distance I'd imagine he'd stand to gain more by addressing technique rather than strength training.  As you stated yourself, getting to 100 at that age shouldn't be an issue unless there are some physical limitations which means the limitations that exist are likely technical.

Getting stronger helps with technique and being able to stay balanced when swinging with more speed. It’s one of the reasons that Bryson bulked up and added strength. His frame/size before wouldnt have held up in form if he tried to do that at his old size