Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Battle for 1st Team Reps

I’ve been gaming the AVX about 95% of the time since the second rendition came out.  I  love that golf ball off everything.  They just work for my game.  But I think, as I mentioned in another thread I am losing shots around the green.

Putting the AVX up against the V1x on Friday.  I’m the last tee time, good time to enjoy “36” on that course I’ve been waiting to play, which I will do a write up and mini review on.

Heavyweight battle…

What do you think the outcome will be?

E250FB71-E422-489F-8739-EC5EBD7777D6.jpeg

57 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Very different golf balls.

Standard ProV1 would likely give the best of both worlds. 

True, I tried the V1 for a few rounds earlier in the year.  I wasn’t playing as well as I am now, and I probably made a mistake… I thought the V1x was the lower long game spin, but it looks like I messed that up…

The V1x was the gamer a few years back, but I think they did the lineup change after I quit using them.

I already hit the ball high, so I’m not sure how much higher these will go, I don’t think they’ll visibly go any higher, but I have been wrong once already in this thread, maybe 4 times.

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

I was playing the x for a while I actually enjoy the normal ProV better. I also hit the ball very high and I’ve been playing quite well with the proV

Yup.  The X spins more everywhere and has a higher flight.  Not great for me as I already have a high ball and steep angle of descent 

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Yup.  The X spins more everywhere and has a higher flight.  Not great for me as I already have a high ball and steep angle of descent 

I mean I hit my 8i over a 60 ft high tree yesterday and I was under 30 yards from it. The x felt good but I like the slightly softer feel of the proV. The Srixon XV was my go to for a while but they were hard to find in sleeves alone so I made the switch and don’t plan on going back. Alan I know you liked the left dash for a while, is that what you went back to?

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

I mean I hit my 8i over a 60 ft high tree yesterday and I was under 30 yards from it. The x felt good but I like the slightly softer feel of the proV. The Srixon XV was my go to for a while but they were hard to find in sleeves alone so I made the switch and don’t plan on going back. Alan I know you liked the left dash for a while, is that what you went back to?

I did like the left dash, but I can’t do cue ball hard golf balls.  Right after that is when I switched permanently to the AVX, aside from a sleeve of V1’s back in Feb/Mar timeframe.

AVX is just money for me, could be my wedges are worn out why I’m not getting any stopping power.  Only a dummy would change balls when I play this one so well… yep. I’m a dummy.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, jlukes said:

Very different golf balls.

Standard ProV1 would likely give the best of both worlds. 

the 2021 Prov did exactly that for me.....the V1X was suprisngly bad for my game even though its one of the best balls out there....

try prov1.....it may just be the unicorn ball you are looking for

Golf is cool

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like left dash could be the ticket. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to the AVX.  I’ve tried the V1, V1x, TP5… 2017 V1… 

Working from the green back, yes the stopping power of the those other 3 balls is probably more, but I’m giving up too much in the other areas, mostly off the tee, and about a half club with the irons. Hopefully the new wedges will make up for any loss of short game control that I thought I had.

I can’t do the left dash.  Tried it once, too dang hard.

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

Going back to the AVX.  I’ve tried the V1, V1x, TP5… 2017 V1… 

Working from the green back, yes the stopping power of the those other 3 balls is probably more, but I’m giving up too much in the other areas, mostly off the tee, and about a half club with the irons. Hopefully the new wedges will make up for any loss of short game control that I thought I had.

I can’t do the left dash.  Tried it once, too dang hard.

angle of descent is more important than spin when the numbers are so close......i mean, the RPM's are based on minutes......the short shots stay in the air roughly 5 seconds...so a ball that spins 10000 rpms is really only spinng 833 times before it hits the green. A ball that is 9000 rpm spins 750 times......are those extra 80 revolutions enough to make a huge difference for the average golfer? i dont know.....maybe the angle of descent is a better indicator???  

The avx and prov1 are so close in spin.....they are practically identicle balls everywhere on the course except off the tee where the AVX has a slight advantage at mid and slow speeds....ive used the AVX and it feels great. nice and soft without being "squishy" but the prov1 gives you just a bit more feedback on iron shots because its a little firmer by 7 compression points...and i like the prov1 off the putter. its perfect without sounding muted like the avx. 

Golf is cool

42 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

angle of descent is more important than spin when the numbers are so close......i mean, the RPM's are based on minutes......the short shots stay in the air roughly 5 seconds...so a ball that spins 10000 rpms is really only spinng 833 times before it hits the green. A ball that is 9000 rpm spins 750 times......are those extra 80 revolutions enough to make a huge difference for the average golfer? i dont know.....maybe the angle of descent is a better indicator???  

The avx and prov1 are so close in spin.....they are practically identicle balls everywhere on the course except off the tee where the AVX has a slight advantage at mid and slow speeds....ive used the AVX and it feels great. nice and soft without being "squishy" but the prov1 gives you just a bit more feedback on iron shots because its a little firmer by 7 compression points...and i like the prov1 off the putter. its perfect without sounding muted like the avx. 

I hear you.  I prefer the squish.  Reminds me of the Balata’s I used to live and find all over the course.

I do like the V1, but for whatever reason it balloons slightly on me off the tee.  Everywhere else is money.  The AVX just goes.  Stays flat and goes, but I thought I was giving up too much around the green.

New wedges, a test is likely in order between the V1 and the AVX.

Wish they would sell me some •ProV1’s to try out. If they do what Tony wrote on the -ProV1x blog… they would likely be the best ball for my game.  Lower spinning is key for me.  RPM’s are in abundance with my swing.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I hear you.  I prefer the squish.  Reminds me of the Balata’s I used to live and find all over the course.

I do like the V1, but for whatever reason it balloons slightly on me off the tee.  Everywhere else is money.  The AVX just goes.  Stays flat and goes, but I thought I was giving up too much around the green.

New wedges, a test is likely in order between the V1 and the AVX.

Wish they would sell me some •ProV1’s to try out. If they do what Tony wrote on the -ProV1x blog… they would likely be the best ball for my game.  Lower spinning is key for me.  RPM’s are in abundance with my swing.

same with me which is why the V1X sucks for me.....

chromesoft has worked great for me. Same distance for me as AVX and better 50 yards and in.....

the left dot makeup seems like its trying to wedge itself in between the AVX and V1.....not sure how much room is left in that space.....but i am intrigued by it, thats for sure.....maybe the left dot is the new AVX????

Golf is cool

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

same with me which is why the V1X sucks for me.....

chromesoft has worked great for me. Same distance for me as AVX and better 50 yards and in.....

the left dot makeup seems like its trying to wedge itself in between the AVX and V1.....not sure how much room is left in that space.....but i am intrigued by it, thats for sure.....maybe the left dot is the new AVX????

Based on some comments in here and other threads I think the 1x sux for you in a similar way it’s not optimal for me based on the conversation I had with my virtual fitter. Due the height of our ball flight and the loft we present along with the spin of the ball we won’t benefit from the 1x. Then add it the feel/sound in putters that unchecked the box for on the green.

Those same characteristics why a ball like the v1 and others that are similar in design will be better for both of us

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on some comments in here and other threads I think the 1x sux for you in a similar way it’s not optimal for me based on the conversation I had with my virtual fitter. Due the height of our ball flight and the loft we present along with the spin of the ball we won’t benefit from the 1x. Then add it the feel/sound in putters that unchecked the box for on the green.

Those same characteristics why a ball like the v1 and others that are similar in design will be better for both of us

no doubt.  and the AVX seems real effecient on swing speeds 95 and under....even with slow swings, the AVX goes as far as any other ball. 

i guess my perfect ball is a softer feeling, not "clicky" low spinning long ball with high spin 50 yards and in....is this the left dot??? idk....maybe this ball is impossible to design..lol

Golf is cool

34 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

no doubt.  and the AVX seems real effecient on swing speeds 95 and under....even with slow swings, the AVX goes as far as any other ball. 

i guess my perfect ball is a softer feeling, not "clicky" low spinning long ball with high spin 50 yards and in....is this the left dot??? idk....maybe this ball is impossible to design..lol

The wonderful think about the avx is is works for all speeds. Buddy has high swing speed but also has lots of spin and high ball flight. Pokes it out there 300. The avx reduces both his height and spin and gets him roughly 10 extra yards carry. 

The left dot based on what little ive read about it might be that ball as it will be between avx and Prov1 around the green while being more avx like on driver and irons as it flies and spins less that the prov1. Based on conversation with my fitter the v1 and 1x have similar spin now but the lower flight of the v1 is why the recommendation for that was made for me.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

51 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Scheduled a virtual fitting with the peeps at Titleist for early September.  Let’s see what the professionals tell me to play.

V1 and tour speed are my predictions

Golf is cool

Hit one bomb today.  305.  One other went 294.

So, I absolutely went after one, it looked like it was going to carry 300.  It went all of 265 yards.

My original thoughts were correct… I’m giving up too much around the green.   It other balls I’m giving up too much off the tee.  What gives.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, Shankster said:

Hit one bomb today.  305.  One other went 294.

So, I absolutely went after one, it looked like it was going to carry 300.  It went all of 265 yards.

My original thoughts were correct… I’m giving up too much around the green.   It other balls I’m giving up too much off the tee.  What gives.

the unicorn ball has yet to be invented......this is my struggle as well....im hoping the Chromesoft X...uh i mean bridgestones (LOL)....work better than the rest....

Golf is cool

23 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

the unicorn ball has yet to be invented......this is my struggle as well....im hoping the Chromesoft X...uh i mean bridgestones (LOL)....work better than the rest....

Yeah.  That is interesting for sure… 

Im thinking about “trying” the - V1x again… 

And maybe the Chrome Soft X LS…

I know I’m not that unique of a golfer… there has to be something that checks all the boxes.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  That is interesting for sure… 

Im thinking about “trying” the - V1x again… 

And maybe the Chrome Soft X LS…

I know I’m not that unique of a golfer… there has to be something that checks all the boxes.

i thought the V1x would be perfect for me.....turns out the spin is too much for me off the tee....was losing a lot of yards.....around the green it was good.

Golf is cool