Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Titleist Blind Ball Test Thread

testerswanted_titleistprototype_ftr-alt.jpg.50cf8fd15ba1cdd53c64ab0cac0f2bcc.jpg

Testers have been selected, balls have been shipped, but this test will be run a little differently. There is NO final review, so we wanted to create a thread for all the testers, and those interested, to follow along on their journey and detective work that might take place.

Start posting your questions or thoughts!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Alright, who is going to be the first to cut one?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

22 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alright, who is going to be the first to cut one?

In the PM thread, there are plenty of testers already talking about that, haha. Will be interesting since Ball A & B will be different for a lot of the testers. My understanding is that it will be a mix of AVX, ProV1, ProV1x, Left Dash, and a couple others. I have zero clue what each tester is going to get!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Me, 30 yard cut with a driver… 😏

Now that’s a lot of gas…..

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Excited to give these a test... still working on some swing adjustments, so the ball will see a range of swings... 

Hopefully they send enough that i don't have to break into the backyards of my neighborhood course to recover errant tee shots!

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Does everyone have a "primary" focus? I know for me I would be looking at 60 and in seeing if there are any big differences in check or as I like to say "zip" 🤣

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

the picture is almost like the matrix... Redball or green(maybe greenish blue) ball?

Anyone have a bias against ball A or ball B yet?  Conspiracy theories?  Are there some placebos out there we don't know about where both ball A and ball B are the same?  Will one be soft and slow and the other hard and fast!? 

This should be a fun one to follow along with!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Does everyone have a "primary" focus? I know for me I would be looking at 60 and in seeing if there are any big differences in check or as I like to say "zip" 🤣

Distance off the tee, spin around greens… only things I ever look at.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

35 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

the picture is almost like the matrix... Redball or green(maybe greenish blue) ball?

Anyone have a bias against ball A or ball B yet?  Conspiracy theories?  Are there some placebos out there we don't know about where both ball A and ball B are the same?  Will one be soft and slow and the other hard and fast!? 

Ball A is obviously the early favorite. 😁.  My theory is that there is a call to market another one of Titleist's tour balls like the left dash. Maybe left dot or star. And Titleist is unsure or even doubtful that amateurs can tell the difference between that ball and a regular prov1. 

Of course you want to tee both up and see which goes farther with the driver, but my focus is definitely around the greens. To a fault, I tend to fly the ball to the hole too much and utilize spin to get the ball to check. Anything that rolls out too much is immediately detested. Then I like to hit some approach shots from 5 iron - 200, 7 iron - 170, 9 iron 140 and make sure I can get the ball to spin and hold like I want it to. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

My main focus is to go pick up a new 58° that I saw yesterday… so I can do just that.  Seems logical, new wedge to test out Ball A vs Ball B.  

Kind of hoping they throw in Ball C and D maybe…

54 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Ball A is obviously the early favorite. 😁.  My theory is that there is a call to market another one of Titleist's tour balls like the left dash. Maybe left dot or star. And Titleist is unsure or even doubtful that amateurs can tell the difference between that ball and a regular prov1. 

This is what I am hoping for.  The Left Dot ProV1 had had my interest since reading about it on the blog when Tony wrote about the Left Dash.  

Hard to wait for the balls to arrive.

My goal is to test the balls using known performance clubs and compare them not only to each other but also to my current ball and see if I can see any difference between the 3 cohorts.

Driver looking at not only distance but launch angle and dispersion. (Hope to see differences)

Mid irons looking for height and distance

Short clubs looking at roll out vs. carry distance from fairway and rough

Wedges at rollout vs. carry distance vs. loft

If I can get all that straight it will be a miracle in itself. Then I plan on cutting one of each open to see what it looks like - IF that is allowed and not prohibited I plan on posting results and pictures here.

Edited by Larryw
Spelling corrections

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Hard to say how I am going to do testing. I would like to do some data collection of some kind but being it as ball testing the strike and swing input would have to be nearly identical to see if there is any sort of difference. it seems like there is going to be a lot of short game testing going on though amongst the testers.

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

I'm going to start with the Titleist philosophy of green-to-tee. The absolute most important thing for me is getting consistent, reliable performance around the green followed closely by controllable spin on short/mid irons. (I want to love TP5s, but I can't keep them on the green with anything less than 7i. Seems weird to get lessons on 'how to get less backspin on wedges.') I'd love something that was a bomber off the tee, but as long as it's comparable to other Tour-level balls, the scoring performance is much more important for me. (For example, if I were playing a par 3 course, I'd totally game a Tour Response. That thing is money on short/mid irons for me. But it's way too short off the tee.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Mine will be straightness and distance off the tee. There are plenty of options from Titleist that perform well around the green. High spin balls tend to get further offline for me compared to low spin models (B XS vs B X, ProV1 vs V1X) especially in a windy environment. The left dash would seem to be an ideal ball as I need a higher launch with driver but seem to benefit from lower spin. 

Said differently, if one of the balls was low launch and low spin so it performed similar to the Bridgestone Tour BX off the tee but with greater spin around the green it would be great. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I'm just excited to use this opportunity to slow down, test the balls and maybe even improve my "game" with the added focus of taking notes, etc. 

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

Id like to know the feel of both.....do they feel x-firm (new Left dash???) or muted like the prov1?  

i really dont care about the chipping and putting.....i want to know how far they fly with drivers, long irons and mid irons.....

Golf is cool

Titleist always tends to keep things quiet and then boom. Who knows what differences in construction they could be trying with these. I'm just excited to follow this and hear all of your thoughts.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

We are starting to get shipping notifications today! Should be receiving them next week. I forgot Titleist HQs is in the NE and so far from me. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Just got my Fedex delivery notification and they'll be here on Monday for me! Weather is looking nice in Atlanta this week and I have a trip up to The Mclemore Club next weekend. They've got a great little short course there that i plan on putting these through the paces on.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

I'm hoping to get some testing in this week upon receipt, and then bring them with me to altitude up in Idaho... plenty of wind up there, so it will be fun to see if I can spot differences.

Should be fun! Unfortunately, the 10th hole of my home course is the perfect testing spot for driver and getting taken over this week for a City Swim meet... It's the best spot on the course to assess ball flight, so hopefully I can get some swings in before the kids are on the course... otherwise it might be the first swim meet that requires concussion protocols.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

The AVX has solidified its role as my game ball.  This test will be interesting, as a “feel” player I am very in tune with how the ball feels off the face of the club.  I prefer marshmallows that have a slight crisp to them.  I do not like Jolly Ranchers at all.  

You will be hearing about the feel of them, and iron/wedge game from me.  Hopefully they show up at my dads house.  I’m on vacation and had them shipped, but I am leaving on the 19th.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

The AVX has solidified its role as my game ball.  This test will be interesting, as a “feel” player I am very in tune with how the ball feels off the face of the club.  I prefer marshmallows that have a slight crisp to them.  I do not like Jolly Ranchers at all.  

You will be hearing about the feel of them, and iron/wedge game from me.  Hopefully they show up at my dads house.  I’m on vacation and had them shipped, but I am leaving on the 19th.

I won a dozen AVX's (first gen) online. Man did I love that ball. It would easily be my gamer if I didn't have an aversion to losing $4 golf balls at the rate I still lose them. Flight seemed a bit lower for me but still had decent stopping power with mid irons.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My plan is to test them side by side on Drives, mid irons, short irons and chipping. I want to see the reaction and feel on the chips. I will also compare them with putting and think that will provide me with an idea of the feel and softness. I will let you know if either of them float for me too.

Looking forward to getting out with the balls and providing some feedback.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Golf balls have officially ben delivered today! I only have received a sleeve of each with there being lo label of A or B just Simply Titleist 3 and Titleist 4. I will be able to do plenty of indoor simulator testing and putter testing this week. Course testing might be limited as there is only 3 each of what I assume are different golf balls but I can't say for sure.

image.png.953eca78c8e6e90fd421b020d120e78f.png

Forum Reviews: 

2 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I won a dozen AVX's (first gen) online. Man did I love that ball. It would easily be my gamer if I didn't have an aversion to losing $4 golf balls at the rate I still lose them. Flight seemed a bit lower for me but still had decent stopping power with mid irons.

The 2nd gen is even better.  Offers the same ball flight with a little more grab around the greens.  Everything goes super high for me, so the slightly lower ball flight is flattening out the trajectory, and it is netting gains across the board.  Love it.

16 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

Golf balls have officially ben delivered today! I only have received a sleeve of each with there being lo label of A or B just Simply Titleist 3 and Titleist 4. I will be able to do plenty of indoor simulator testing and putter testing this week. Course testing might be limited as there is only 3 each of what I assume are different golf balls but I can't say for sure.

image.png.953eca78c8e6e90fd421b020d120e78f.png

I thought the gig was for two dozen, wth?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

40 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I thought the gig was for two dozen, wth?

I thought so as well but I'm gonna press on assuming its a sleeve each in stead of a dozen each and make it work. If they fly straight enough I'll only need a sleeve and not a dozen.

Forum Reviews: 

On 7/7/2021 at 9:05 AM, B.Boston said:

They are actually Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X..... the folks at Titleist are determined to get to the bottom of these "ball that reinvented the ball" claims 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)