TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist Blind Ball Test Thread

Nothing yet for me.  I'm excited to try them.  I've had Titleist mystery sleeves sent to me in the past and a single sleeve isn't enough to learn anything really.  Basically one to one and a half rounds.  Having a dozen of each is a game changer, however.  I have a Mevo launch monitor so I'll try to check out the numbers after I play them a bit.

Just got the balls here in Kentucky on a cold and wet day... my course is closed, my golf cart needs new tires... so there is only one thing to do, and it's over analyze the golf balls I just received! So let's begin... I brought in my own control ball, mostly because I have 2 sleeves sitting in the garage... Titleist AVX  that I bought on a whim... I have some random ProV1s in the bag from the course, but I don't know them well enough to know which year they are or anything like that... So the AVX is going to be my point of comparison... As previously noted, there isn't an A or B, these are just balls labeled "Titleist" with a number...

Conspiracy Theory #1: I think they were labeled 3 and 4 because people would have bias against balls labelled 1 and 2... even 2 and 3 would create a problem... I have no data to back up this claim, but it's obviously true. I'm only ordered balls with 1 or 0 on it moving forward. It will obviously help my game.

Dimples: The only obvious point of comparison on the balls right now would be the dimples... The AVX dimples seem to be slightly flatter, while both mystery balls are more round and deeper... based on the visuals of the dimples, I can quickly pick the AVX out. The other two balls are very similar from a visual perspective. My guess is these are the same dimples on the ProV balls... Someone else can confirm this. All three balls have small markings on them... AVX: ZL T3: CZ T4: TP (does that stand for TOUR PROFESSIONAL. PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR OTHER GUESSES). I'm curious if others have the same markings... I'm sure they are just factory codes, but also... the numbers, what do they mean?

Dimple Pattern / Seam: I'm old enough to remember when you would line the seam of the ball up down the fairway and it would net you an extra 20 yards... The seams on these are much less noticeable... I had originally written I couldn't find a seam, but then I found it on the AVX and went back to look at the mystery balls. I found it on the T3 relatively quickly... it's findable on the T4 but less noticeable... Overall, I'm still just very impressed with the manufacturing capabilities of Titleist. Kudos to them. 

The dimple pattern, to my untrained eye, appears to be the same across the balls... it appears to be mostly large dimples, with an occassional repeating pattern of 6 smaller dimples and occasionally 2 even smaller dimples. Titleist has found a pattern that works, so I'm not going to question it... I'm also unwilling to count the dots. 

So, in conclusion: The main differences I've seen VISUALLY is a less noticeable seam and deeper divots than the AVX. 

8935BC4C-5A32-4061-8691-FEB0FEE5126E.jpeg

75F3AEC0-64DC-4D5D-A745-A7B99498636C.jpeg

CE0464F3-2444-4B6C-9AAF-555730DE0599.jpeg

F29831AF-6A5D-4AD8-ADB0-21AFDA53A45B.jpeg

54D79D0C-D263-4C5A-AD26-CDE7166C0980.jpeg

0FDF869B-EFF6-4B58-8A73-FCBD6EA89D13.jpeg

9011AFA3-54E8-486A-9C26-0D6F95513BFA.jpeg

9DD4A930-3F3F-48EC-983F-6AADBD06FE88.jpeg

Edited by myherobobhope

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

6 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

All three balls have small markings on them... AVX: ZL T3: CZ T4: TP (does that stand for TOUR PROFESSIONAL.

My 4's are stamped "YP" which I choose to believe is "young professional" and therefore a slightly lower-priced model offering booming driver distance (obvs) and rip-it-off-the-front-of-the-green wedge spin. Obviously the 4 ball is for impressing your golf buddies and not actually getting optimal performance.

</sarcasm>

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

20 minutes ago, greggarner said:

My 4's are stamped "YP" which I choose to believe is "young professional" and therefore a slightly lower-priced model offering booming driver distance (obvs) and rip-it-off-the-front-of-the-green wedge spin. Obviously the 4 ball is for impressing your golf buddies and not actually getting optimal performance.

</sarcasm>

Hmm... I'm both old and not professional, so I should have double checked my work... Mine are also YP not TP. 

I'm looking forward to getting these on the course... I'm willing to risk it all without instructions and just hit them on the course and see what happens... Just need to find a tire iron that fits my carts lug nuts... 

Sub70 5i - DG S400

On 7/10/2021 at 9:08 PM, ZMendle10 said:

Golf balls have officially ben delivered today! I only have received a sleeve of each with there being lo label of A or B just Simply Titleist 3 and Titleist 4. I will be able to do plenty of indoor simulator testing and putter testing this week. Course testing might be limited as there is only 3 each of what I assume are different golf balls but I can't say for sure.

image.png.953eca78c8e6e90fd421b020d120e78f.png

Does the one on the right have a noticeably firmer feeling cover?  When I find Titleist balls, that thicker, less clear Titleist logo always gives away a non ProV ball.  The one on the left has the ProV look.  But it could just be the photo.

Hello All -

I received my test balls this afternoon. Two sleeves with no markings other than the #3 and #4 in black. I plan on trying to get a little testing in tomorrow or Wednesday evenings. Info to come soon.

Titleist Test 1.JPG

Titleist Test Balls.JPG

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

4 hours ago, myherobobhope said:

Just got the balls here in Kentucky on a cold and wet day... my course is closed, my golf cart needs new tires... so there is only one thing to do, and it's over analyze the golf balls I just received! So let's begin... I brought in my own control ball, mostly because I have 2 sleeves sitting in the garage... Titleist AVX  that I bought on a whim... I have some random ProV1s in the bag from the course, but I don't know them well enough to know which year they are or anything like that... So the AVX is going to be my point of comparison... As previously noted, there isn't an A or B, these are just balls labeled "Titleist" with a number...

Conspiracy Theory #1: I think they were labeled 3 and 4 because people would have bias against balls labelled 1 and 2... even 2 and 3 would create a problem... I have no data to back up this claim, but it's obviously true. I'm only ordered balls with 1 or 0 on it moving forward. It will obviously help my game.

Dimples: The only obvious point of comparison on the balls right now would be the dimples... The AVX dimples seem to be slightly flatter, while both mystery balls are more round and deeper... based on the visuals of the dimples, I can quickly pick the AVX out. The other two balls are very similar from a visual perspective. My guess is these are the same dimples on the ProV balls... Someone else can confirm this. All three balls have small markings on them... AVX: ZL T3: CZ T4: TP (does that stand for TOUR PROFESSIONAL. PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR OTHER GUESSES). I'm curious if others have the same markings... I'm sure they are just factory codes, but also... the numbers, what do they mean?

Dimple Pattern / Seam: I'm old enough to remember when you would line the seam of the ball up down the fairway and it would net you an extra 20 yards... The seams on these are much less noticeable... I had originally written I couldn't find a seam, but then I found it on the AVX and went back to look at the mystery balls. I found it on the T3 relatively quickly... it's findable on the T4 but less noticeable... Overall, I'm still just very impressed with the manufacturing capabilities of Titleist. Kudos to them. 

The dimple pattern, to my untrained eye, appears to be the same across the balls... it appears to be mostly large dimples, with an occassional repeating pattern of 6 smaller dimples and occasionally 2 even smaller dimples. Titleist has found a pattern that works, so I'm not going to question it... I'm also unwilling to count the dots. 

So, in conclusion: The main differences I've seen VISUALLY is a less noticeable seam and deeper divots than the AVX. 

The AVX has a Bridgestone like dimple design... anyone else seeing that?  I probably missed it in the original tester thread, but does Titleist ever reveal any of the design specifics associated with the various balls?  With them all being code stamped in some manner, do they ask testers for this info in the results?  Are they just looking for trends in the tester feedback, to sift out performance attributes associated with whatever variation to current standard balls these have?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Just a guess but the code stamps are probably manufacturing quality control codes to identify different molds and/or manufacturing fixtures and not specific to the design of the balls. We always used QC markings for identity purposes.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

The AVX has a Bridgestone like dimple design... anyone else seeing that?  I probably missed it in the original tester thread, but does Titleist ever reveal any of the design specifics associated with the various balls?  With them all being code stamped in some manner, do they ask testers for this info in the results?  Are they just looking for trends in the tester feedback, to sift out performance attributes associated with whatever variation to current standard balls these have?  

It’s shallow like the Bridgestone, but the patterns are different, i think… I’ve got some B X kicking around, but I don’t think we are here to compare the AVX to the B X… 

if you listen to the sweet spot podcast with the PING rep, he talks about how much aerodynamics change ball performance… basically, the impact of spin is different based on the dimples on the ball. Not something I’d ever thought about.

hoping to get some swings in with the ball tomorrow… 10th hole should be open and it’s a great place to hit test shots. (It’s basically the one straight open hole on the course)

Sub70 5i - DG S400

2 hours ago, Larryw said:

Just a guess but the code stamps are probably manufacturing quality control codes to identify different molds and/or manufacturing fixtures and not specific to the design of the balls. We always used QC markings for identity purposes.

For sure on the markings.  I was just thinking these were perhaps R&D balls and wondering how they track them as part of the tests.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

19 hours ago, myherobobhope said:

did u seriously just pump your youtube channel?

i wonder if some people received two of the same balls to see if they have different write ups for each when in fact the balls are the same.

Golf is cool

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Many compaanies employ the same dimple design but make up their own names for the design. if you google the patent on these type of dimples you will find up to 10 different golf ball manufacturers all use the same basic design. That is not surprising at all.  

Golf is cool

43 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i wonder if some people received two of the same balls to see if they have different write ups for each when in fact the balls are the same.

I don’t have a YouTube channel.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

4 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

I don’t have a YouTube channel.

you posted that in your write up....lol.....was that sarcasm? if so i missed it...

Golf is cool

50 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i wonder if some people received two of the same balls to see if they have different write ups for each when in fact the balls are the same

It would be a good way to show how people can say these are different just by a number or if people can’t really tell the difference about balls. I’m sure there is someone like that or close to that as a control

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

It would be a good way to show how people can say these are different just by a number or if people can’t really tell the difference about balls. I’m sure there is someone like that or close to that as a control

yeah, visually I can't tell the difference between these two balls. The dimple patterns and depths are, without counting or color-coding to look for patterns, identical. The covers feel soft and between that and the thinner script logo, I suspect they're both urethane. Haven't gotten them out to the course yet, but in some living room putting, they sound the same. (Way to early to declare them to be the same ball, but without cutting it open, I've done about all I can before heading to the course.)

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

Just got mine in the mail. Unfortunately, weather here isnt great for the next few days, but I'll be heading up to play some golf this weekend and will try them out if we receive direction from Titleist

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

Got some testing done in between a Srixon fitting (also, I'm buying new Srixon irons)... Here are my overall thoughts:

Quick Conclusion: T3 spins more than T4. This is the only difference I have noticed thus far.

After warming up for my demo day, I went and putted and chipped with the two balls to see if I noticed any differences around the green... This was not scientific at all, I just kept hitting one of each ball and seeing if I noticed anything different between the two. My chipping has been mediocre, so this was more an excuse to practice getting up and down than anything else... overall, I did not notice any difference. Both felt similar around the green and with the putter... I tend not to care what I'm putting with, but these two felt the same... I'll do some lag drills with all 6 and see if there are any noticeable difference tomorrow.

After the demo day, I "played" 10 on my way home... It's a wide open hole perfect for testing shots... I usually have about 100 yards into the green after a good shot... I teed up 20 yards behind where I usually tee off from, but was still around the 150 mark... I didn't flush either ball, but the 4 flew further than the 3... both had fade spin, and the 3 moved more left to right... Both balls were in the rough and playable (this was 100% a swing issue)... then, as it started to rain, I dropped at around 100 and hit a 54 degree wedge at the pin. Fortunately, both balls landed on the green. 

A 100 degree 54 is about a 3/4 swing for me, and the 4 landed and bounced slightly forward, and the 3 stayed exactly where it was put... It wasn't a HUGE difference, but I believe the 3 spins slightly more.

I think, overall, both balls will have too much spin for my current swing but I think the 3 is slightly MORE spinny... I'll hopefully get out to do a more thorough testing this week.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

1 hour ago, myherobobhope said:

I'm buying new Srixon irons

I think, overall, both balls will have too much spin for my current swing but I think the 3 is slightly MORE spinny... I'll hopefully get out to do a more thorough testing this week.

Ooh which ones? I'm super pleased with mine. They're lower spin than the Ping i210s I was gaming (thankfully!), which has me wondering if I can get away playing something higher spin...

Tested:

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

Ooh which ones? I'm super pleased with mine. They're lower spin than the Ping i210s I was gaming (thankfully!), which has me wondering if I can get away playing something higher spin...

ZX5 with ctaper 130x… really looking forward to it.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

3 hours ago, Clayton said:

Everyone ready for a TEST!?!?!?!?!TEST.jpg.49f42397610a2e544fa0ea3e179244fb.jpg

I’m so confused… why do your balls look different? (Are we still doing phrasing?) mine are blank other than titleist and a number.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

1 minute ago, myherobobhope said:

I’m so confused… why do your balls look different? (Are we still doing phrasing?) mine are blank other than titleist and a number.

It's from an older test sleeve I received maybe 5-7 years ago.  It was a terribly hard budget ball from what I could tell. I filled out the survey and never got another sleeve.  I just thought it looked cool since it said <--TEST--> on it.

Haven't started testing but did float my 6 balls in Epsom Salt bath. They were all perfectly balanced as near as I can tell. Always came up in a different spot and never a hint of a heavy side.

Encouraging at least.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

1 hour ago, Larryw said:

Haven't started testing but did float my 6 balls in Epsom Salt bath. They were all perfectly balanced as near as I can tell. Always came up in a different spot and never a hint of a heavy side.

Encouraging at least.

It's getting harder and harder to ignore Titleist's commitment to quality....

Tested:

30 minutes ago, greggarner said:

It's getting harder and harder to ignore Titleist's commitment to quality....

Yeah… I’m honestly just impressed… curious to see the results in the main site.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Got mine this week as well, like some of the others, the only marking is the word Titleist and either the number 3 or 4……no sight lines or other incidental markings.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

16 hours ago, Larryw said:

Encouraging at least.

Nice. I plan on doing the same test.... Once the balls show up.

I was hoping with a dozen that we might detect more quality issues in one ball than the other, but 3 is way too small of a sample size. Maybe if more testers did this we might learn something? Hard to say. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!