TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Underrated Golf Courses in the US......

Hello everyone.  I just saw the list of the best golf courses you can play (public) in the US and I have played a few of them and I agree that they are great courses, but I am curious about other GREAT courses that you have played that will never make that list but are a must play if you are in the area.  I am looking to hear about some truly great but underrated courses.  I will throw out a course that everyone can play and in my opinion is about perfect in design and it has been maintained meticulously every time I have played.  It is TPC Deere Run in Silvis, IL.  I was working in the Quad Cities for a couple of months and I played it every chance I got.  Not only is it a great course, but since I was playing as a solo I got paired up with another twosome or threesome each time.  The course does have members but they allow the public to play and I was always paired up with members when I played.  Every person I was paired up with was extremely nice and they truly appreciated their course and did what they could to make me feel just as at home as they were.  The whole experience was awesome and everyone from the pro shop personnel to the servers to the grounds crew were very professional and accommodating and they were all gracious hosts.  Perhaps all of that made the experience seem better but there is no doubt that this course is a must play.  Watch the John Deere Classic this weekend.  I am not sure if TV will capture the subtle nuances that make it so great but I will sure have a ton of nostalgia running through my veins this weekend!     

Driver: PING G425 Max

3 wood: PING G410

Irons: PING G425 Crossover 2i; PING i500 4-UW

Wedges: PING Glide 3.0 54 & 58

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red

Rochelle Ranch in Rawlins Wyoming(long windy miserable fun), Eisenhower Blue Course USAF Academy (wild turkeys and beautiful mountains), and Gladstan Golf Course in Payson Utah(best view in Utah County). 

• Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to throw a shameless plug for three of our Kentucky state park courses:

Eagle Ridge at Yatesville Lake State Park

aac9276821fe2603c40ecec6d4627166_slidergolfyatesvilleup.jpg?itok=yIj43N4j

Arthur Hills/Steve Forrest Design with dramatic elevation changes and outstanding vistas, needs to be played at least twice as the visuals will mess with you.

The Cullan at Mineral Mound State Park

0b86f0030e1b3fb559cc5a2c808e6d67_slidergolfMineralMound1-Copy.jpg?itok=tq2WPetl

This Michael Hurdzan/Dana Frye track built onto a peninsula of Lake Barkley is a sleeper with awesome lake views.  The eagles are more frequently bald than scored.

Dale Hollow Lake State Park

31d424d19b85ad60312a052989e28259_slidergolfDaleHollowsunrise.jpg?itok=IMi4Ii9g

This Steve Ault course is Kentucky's answer to North Carolina's best highland tracks and is consistently ranked among the best values in the country.

Driver:ping-small: G410 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 55 R
Wood:ping-small: G425 Max 5W - Alta CB R
Irons:taylormade-small: 4-AW - VeloxT 65 R
Wedges:  image.png.e43cb1d782ed388d90a6cdfd7e55cb7c.png Equalizer II 56, :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 60-11
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Crimson Series 550
Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 7 months later...

If you are making the trek to Bandon Dunes then make sure to add Bandon Crossings to your list. It is located about 10 minutes south of town, and definitely worth your time. I wouldn't take anything away from the resort up the street, but Crossings offers some fun golf in a beautiful setting. This course winds its way through the forest and has several elevation changes. Lots of fun holes and great conditions. Unlike the courses at Bandon Dunes you can take a cart here (if that's your thing) and green fees are very affordable. Since the course is s bit inland, it's unlikely that you'll get pounded by the wind all day. We played the course a couple times on the trip and had no wind. It was a nice break from the punishment we got on the coastal courses at the resort. Don't overlook this little gem.

Not a surprise to many who live in CA, but PSA for people thinking about trips (especially couples trips): Sandpiper, just north of Santa Barbara. Billy Bell design (Torrey Pines), it is a muni that could use a little bit more in the way of investment dollars which I think is why it hasn't really made it to the "lists" in some time, but it was still in very good condition when I played and IMO the 5 hole stretch from 10-14 heading directly down to the beach (the 11 green/12 tee box is basically on the beach) and then banking left along the cliffs could compete with any stretch of golf in the world; one of those places where you just chuckle to yourself because you are so freaking lucky to be playing there while staring at dolphins swimming in the Pacific to the west & snow capped peaks to the east. 

image.jpeg.9f2ec6d17f270629dd86ca3cc2e03205.jpeg

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H