Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Impact of adjusting driver loft

tdc1

I’ve been trying to find best setting with my G425 Max 10.5* driver.  I've tried the higher lofts with both neutral and draw settings for back weight, and currently use standard loft/draw setting for back weight.  So far I have resisted going down in loft for fear of club face being open at address (my miss is usually high toe push/slice).

Assuming a good swing at the ball, what might I expect to see at the lower loft setting?

Thanks!

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

7 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

I’ve been trying to find best setting with my G425 Max 10.5* driver.  I've tried the higher lofts with both neutral and draw settings for back weight, and currently use standard loft/draw setting for back weight.  So far I have resisted going down in loft for fear of club face being open at address (my miss is usually high toe push/slice).

Assuming a good swing at the ball, what might I expect to see at the lower loft setting?

Thanks!

If the driver was sold as a 10.5* and you loft down to say 9*, then this closes the clubface by 1 or 2* causing a left pull.  Try setting up and opening the face at address. 

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

All things being equal you will probably see a lower ball flight and a fade tendency with the loft set a click or two lower going from 10.5 to 9.  Some pro shop or club fitter in the area should have a 9* head you can try to see if the lower loft can help without the open face that de-lofting a 10.5 will promote.  I briefly experimented this past winter with a 10.5* (mine is a 9*) to see if the extra loft would translate to a more optimal launch angle resulting in more distance.  Lofting mine to 10.5 closes the face and I had a tendency to lose the ball left in that set up so I wanted to try a natural 10.5.   I didn't gain anything in distance and stuck with my 9* and my natural straight to slight fade ball flight.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

55 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

If the driver was sold as a 10.5* and you loft down to say 9*, then this closes the clubface by 1 or 2* causing a left pull.  Try setting up and opening the face at address. 

Hmm, I’ve always thought that delofting will open the face.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

10 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Yes, de-lofting opens the face, increasing loft closes the face. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

51 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Yes, de-lofting the club will open the face & increasing loft will close the face. Try lowering the loft & keep the weight as far back as possible.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

This is incorrect. 

Delofting the driver will open the face. 

Beyond that @tdc1 , I wouldnt be afraid of opening the face. Seems odd with the right miss, but for some people knowing its open forces you to return it square or closed. And for a draw, closed to the path, but open to the target is what you want. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

32 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

This is incorrect. 

Delofting the driver will open the face. 

Beyond that @tdc1 , I wouldnt be afraid of opening the face. Seems odd with the right miss, but for some people knowing its open forces you to return it square or closed. And for a draw, closed to the path, but open to the target is what you want. 

Are you sure? Both my Cobra F8 and my PXG 0211 open the face when you increase the loft, say from 10.5 to 11.5. The face would then close when you loft down?..I have never delofted, so I could be wrong.  Possibly all drivers are not the same when adjusting the loft.  Cobra has a draw setting for each loft degree.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Are you sure? Both my Cobra F8 and my PXG 0211 open the face when you increase the loft, say from 10.5 to 11.5. The face would then close when you loft down?..I have never delofted, so I could be wrong.  Possibly all drivers are not the same when adjusting the loft.  Cobra has a draw setting for each loft degree.

When you toy with the adapter, you are never truly changing the loft of the club. The face is fixed, the driver loft is what it is. When you add loft on the adapter, what you are really doing is closing the face. Now the face appears closed, so you open it so it looks neutral and now you had added loft. When you lower the loft on the adapter the club becomes open. You will grip it so it looks neutral so you have delofted the club. This is how it works for all companies. 

Cobra is somewhat unique in that they have a draw setting lower than the stamped loft. This should be impossible as lowering the loft opens the face. A higher loft than stamped makes sense, but not lower. So how do they do it? By not changing the loft at all. The draw setting just makes the club 1 upright. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

7 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

When you toy with the adapter, you are never truly changing the loft of the club. The face is fixed, the driver loft is what it is. When you add loft on the adapter, what you are really doing is closing the face. Now the face appears closed, so you open it so it looks neutral and now you had added loft. When you lower the loft on the adapter the club becomes open. You will grip it so it looks neutral so you have delofted the club. This is how it works for all companies. 

Cobra is somewhat unique in that they have a draw setting lower than the stamped loft. This should be impossible as lowering the loft opens the face. A higher loft than stamped makes sense, but not lower. So how do they do it? By not changing the loft at all. The draw setting just makes the club 1 upright. 

This is my understanding as well. It's really the soleing of the club back to square after changing the adapter setting is what is modifying the loft. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

33 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Thanks much scooterhd2.  I appreciate your detailed explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:28 AM, fozcycle said:

Just the opposite, lofting down opens the face. But only if you then address the ball with the face square.

edit: should have looked before posting. should've known this would already be addressed. It is counterintuitive at first. You would hood a club to deloft and keep a shot under a tree and open the face to add loft to an iron.

Edited by garyt1957

• 3 weeks later...

Ping drivers adjust lie angle when changing loft. This is different than most manufacturers. It doesn't affect face open or close like others although one site states that increasing loft promotes draw. Small - or + decreases lie angle by 1 degree. Big - or + decreases loft by .2 degree.

2 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Ping drivers adjust lie angle when changing loft. This is different than most manufacturers. It doesn't affect face open or close like others although one site states that increasing loft promotes draw. Small - or + decreases lie angle by 1 degree. Big - or + decreases loft by .2 degree.

The new ping drivers can also adjust lie angle either + or - 1*

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, JDHolmes said:

They all do, actually.  The basic adapter isn't capable of separating lie and face angle, it's just a slightly offset (crooked) attachment to the shaft tip.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft