TESTERS WANTED! ×

What friggin driver should I be using (testing the 3 I currently own against each other)

DechamBRO

WARNING: TO AVOID ALL OF THIS, GO GET FIT, TRUST ME IT WILL SAVE YOU LOTS OF MONEY. 

Ok, so here is what is going on....I am super frustrated with my driver game (read distance.....). What started this....well golf, but after that I was kinda already looking to see which of my drivers worked better for me, and all day my Cobra SpeedZone Extreme and 2016 Taylormade M2 were in that 240 to 250 total distance range (my mevo shows my swing speed when warmed up to be right at 98-99 mph, obviously with some faster or slower), until the 9th hole when I finished with another player, who let me hit his 9.5 degree Homna tw737 445cc driver with a stiff Vizard Type-Z 70S shaft. One swing with that club, and I nailed it 285 yards.....it went on basically the exact same path as my two drivers (just missing the trees on the left) and the hole was pretty darn level (not like there was some major decline that the ball caught, and no cart path involved)....Sooooooo, what the friggin heck? That is a low spin driver (i think it has a 8 or 9 gram weight up front, and a traditional head shape instead of an elongated back for forgiveness). Additionally, i had been playing regular flex shafts thinking that was what i needed, but have since realized that I really need stiff flex (even though i am kinda right in the middle swing speed wise between the two). 

So, that got me thinking that a lower spin driver, a lower loft (had been playing a 10.5, good thing they are adjustable), and a stiffer flex shaft (really helps with shot dispersion) will help me overall. So i sold my fairly new Wilson D9 driver (it was 10.5 reg flex, had it been adjustable with a shaft adapter I very likely would have bought a new shaft and sleeve for it. Man the ball felt so good off the face it was crazy), and bought a used 2017 Taylormade M1. So here are the drivers (and shafts, bought a couple of those as well, though have narrowed it down to this point😞

Cobra SpeedZone Driver, 10.5 degree head, Aldila NXT NV Green Stiff Shaft 

2017 Taylormade M1, 9.5 degree head, Aldila NXT NV Green Stiff Shaft, Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff Shaft

2016 Taylormade M2, 10.5 degree head, Aldila NXT NV Green Stiff Shaft, Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff Shaft

Shafts I already removed based on flex and/or trajectory (aldila rouge elite green (R), Tensei CK Blue (R), Tensei AV Blue (S))

The driver that I determine to be best for my game/swing will go in the bag, and eventually be used to compare to the Homna TW/GS driver I was selected to test (thanks mygolfspy!). Of course I will still compare it to the others in similar settings (i want to show how it performs against all these), but this will be to see what ends up in MY bag. 

So far I have been using several golf balls (though making sure when comparing for the day both use the same ball). So do you guys think i should keep doing this, or should i switch to a single ball? I was going to use my last dozen Snell MTB-X balls for the Homna testing, but I could use the Maxfli Tour, or Maxfli Tour X for this. After choosing my driver I was planning on testing urethane balls ($35 range) to determine which will be my gamer. 

Anyway, hope you guys find this as interesting as I do frustrating 🙂 

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

There’s no relevant data here that would let anyone make a somewhat educated guess on what works best for you.

Distance isnt the only data point that should be used.

Info that would be needed is ball speed, angle of attack, spin, launch angle, apex/peak height and descent/land angle.

Swing speed not really used to determine flex. It’s just something that gives people a starting point when looking at manufacturers website. There’s no standard on flex in golf. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You should also show your left right dispersion. Doesn’t matter what driver goes farther if you can’t control it

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

You should also show your left right dispersion. Doesn’t matter what driver goes farther if you can’t control it

Agreed, the testing will be on the course, and I will choose which club wins the hole based on distance and accuracy. That’s kinda the main reason right now I know those shafts I have removed won’t work. Used the aldila rogue elite green in regular two days ago, lost everything to the right, and generally my miss is left. Played it against the m1 with the hzrdus black 6.0 shaft, which I thought was going to be too stiff for me based on reviews, and had a slight draw with most shots, ending up on the left fairway or just off it.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no relevant data here that would let anyone make a somewhat educated guess on what works best for you.

Distance isnt the only data point that should be used.

Info that would be needed is ball speed, angle of attack, spin, launch angle, apex/peak height and descent/land angle.

Swing speed not really used to determine flex. It’s just something that gives people a starting point when looking at manufacturers website. There’s no standard on flex in golf. 

I understand that, but I don’t want anyone to make any kind of guess for me. This is kinda a blog for me to put my thoughts down and track my journey, and if others want to follow along, cool. All that data I have on my Mevo (understanding that it is only so accurate, but still is good for baseline comparisons.) that is how I know what my swing speed is and wasn’t trying to make my post too complicated (I have been a military analyst for over 20 years, I love me some data, but that can be a detriment as well). So the numbers have gotten me to the point I am at testing wise (club head speed avg 98/99 mph, ball speed 147 (cobra and m1), cobra spin 2487, m1 spin 2578).

Really right now it is more qualitative testing than quantitative. Head to head matches as I play over the next 30 days. The club heads and shafts I have put me in the correct numbers, but sometimes the numbers don’t actually translate to performance on the course. The feel of the club, confidence in it, look at address, etc. those intangible things that can have a major impact on how a club performs (all this is the reason I have always preferred playing with blades, and have shot my best rounds with them, though the numbers show that I should never play blades).

So now, it is down to performance on the course. Playing each driver against the other, and marking which wins the hole based on distance and accuracy, then after the round trying to write down some of those intangibles as well, so they can be factored in.

And in the future, no more drivers unless they beat my gamer head to head on a course or simulator.

So today I did some golfs, and my first round of testing. Played the 2016 Taylormade M2 10.5 degree with the stiff (6.0) hzrdus black shaft, against the 2017 Taylormade M1 9.5 degree with the stiff aldila nv green shaft. Longest with the M2 was 240 yards, with an average of 222.28 yards, 2 fairways hit, 4 in the left rough but playable, 1 in the left rough and as Alex Etches would say, it was in Brenda's well manicured back yard. Longest with the M1 was 236 yards, averaged 215.17 yards, 3 fairways hit, 1 just in the right rough (dead straight shot, just hit it there, no fade/slice), 2 in the left but playable, 1 again in Brenda's back yard. Worst hits with both clubs were those bad low pull hooks, this happens when i don't extend my arms down the target line through the shot, but instead kinda pull them into my body and around (I hope anyone reading this gets what i am saying, makes total sense to me, haha). Here it is hole by hole (sorry, didn't see a way to insert a table):

hole1/par 4       hole 2/par 4      hole 3/par 5      hole 4/par 3      hole 5/par 4      hole 6/par 3     hole 7/par 5      hole 8/par 4      hole 9/par 4

M2        s/f/227              l/lr/231               brenda/230          nope               ld/f/240              still nope         dh/lr/175           l/lr/221               l/lr/232

M1        s/rr/225             s/f/221                l/lr/225               haha                 swb/f/209           really?              s/f/236             dh/lr/175           l/lr/we'll never know

Ok, so S=straight, F=fairway, LR = left rough, RR = right rough, L = left, LD = light draw, swb = straight worm burner, DH = duckhook......i think that is all of them. For the M1 on the last hole, it was just a tiny bit more left than the M2, but i had a guy right on my butt and did a quick once over, but didn't really look for the ball.

Feel....the M2 wins by a long shot. The face just feels much more lively, and the club feels lighter (haven't checked the swingweight)....even with the hzrdus black (which most say plays a half bit stiffer, so this would be like a s+ even though it is 6.0). For some reason the M1 just feels dead.....it obviously isn't, just feels that way. I am guessing that is because it isn't as forgiving with that weight up front, so unless i catch it really well it is going to feel that way. 

I am going to increase the loft of the M1 for the next session, and then after that switch the shafts between the two clubs. If the feel doesn't improve on the M1 in a hurry (or start crushing the other drivers in distance/accuracy) then it will be going to the e-bays. 

Ooops, forgot, I am using the snell mtb-black for all testing

43 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Feel....the M2 wins by a long shot. The face just feels much more lively, and the club feels lighter (haven't checked the swingweight)....even with the hzrdus black (which most say plays a half bit stiffer, so this would be like a s+ even though it is 6.0). For some reason the M1 just feels dead.....it obviously isn't, just feels that way. I am guessing that is because it isn't as forgiving with that weight up front, so unless i catch it really well it is going to feel that way. 

The original black had zero feel designed into it and it was all about performance. It’s a shaft that the pga pros had trouble turning over with because of how stiff the tip is. As a result PX designed the hzrdus red which is the the black shaft with a softer tip. At 6.0 it’s a shaft most golfers under 105-110 mph swing speed probably shouldn’t play. 

the 2016 m2 was and in many cases is one of the best drivers made in the last decade. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The original black had zero feel designed into it and it was all about performance. It’s a shaft that the pga pros had trouble turning over with because of how stiff the tip is. As a result PX designed the hzrdus red which is the the black shaft with a softer tip. At 6.0 it’s a shaft most golfers under 105-110 mph swing speed probably shouldn’t play. 

the 2016 m2 was and in many cases is one of the best drivers made in the last decade. 

Strangely I have used it in both clubs and have had no issues with it. The m2 with the black feels much better than the m1 with the aldila nv green. Hopefully that means the m2 will feel and perform even better with the aldila in it.

45 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Strangely I have used it in both clubs and have had no issues with it. The m2 with the black feels much better than the m1 with the aldila nv green. Hopefully that means the m2 will feel and perform even better with the aldila in it.

Feeling is pretty subjective aspect of golf so can’t dispute what you say about feeling of the shaft. 

Just going on experience and time spent at PX HQ. Without seeing launch numbers this is just a educated guess but the hzrdus black is costing you some distance because of launch ad spin in both heads. Also wouldn’t be surprised if the green shaft wasn’t doing the same. Both shafts are designed to promote a low launch and low spin ball flight. Someone who is getting under 240 yards total distance needs some added launch and spin to get the ball in the air and keep it there.

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Feeling is pretty subjective aspect of golf so can’t dispute what you say about feeling of the shaft. 

Just going on experience and time spent at PX HQ. Without seeing launch numbers this is just a educated guess but the hzrdus black is costing you some distance because of launch ad spin in both heads. Also wouldn’t be surprised if the green shaft wasn’t doing the same. Both shafts are designed to promote a low launch and low spin ball flight. Someone who is getting under 240 yards total distance needs some added launch and spin to get the ball in the air and keep it there.

Thanks for the info. I also have the Tensei shaft that came with the m2 that I am going to try again as well. When playing with it I felt the ball was ballooning, which is why I moved to try low spin shafts. Strangely I don’t see any real difference in distance using the low spin shafts, though the launch for the m1 is noticeably lower. With the reg flex Tensei that came with the cobra, my spin was upper 2000s to right around 3000.

1 hour ago, DechamBRO said:

Thanks for the info. I also have the Tensei shaft that came with the m2 that I am going to try again as well. When playing with it I felt the ball was ballooning, which is why I moved to try low spin shafts. Strangely I don’t see any real difference in distance using the low spin shafts, though the launch for the m1 is noticeably lower. With the reg flex Tensei that came with the cobra, my spin was upper 2000s to right around 3000.

That’s the typical approach that many take in the self fit/blind buy arena for trying to find something that works.

Spin is ones friend until it reaches the too much or too little. Too much and you see the ballooning and the ball hits a wall and just falls out of the sky. Too little and it doesn’t get up in the air long enough and has a tendency to knuckle and just drop out of the sky. You not seeing a difference in distance kind of make ss ness because you are getting it two different ways. Not enough from the low spin/launch shafts and losing it from the others because it’s too much spin. More than likely your launch is also not helping. Not enough launch angle to offset the low spin in the black and Aldila green and too much launch to go with the high spin of the tensei. What weight class are your shafts? 

To make a better assessment knowing angle of attack, spin, launch angle, peak height or apex(depending on what term the mevo uses) and descent or land angle (again depends on term mevo uses) will help assess what’s happening to your ball with those shafts.

The torque rating on the black is around 3 whereas the adlidla green and the tensei iirc are at or around 4. Those shafts will have the tendcy to feel softer where they lower torque for some could feel harsh. Since who prefer the feel of the black in the M2, I’m guessing when you put it in the m1 you will like that feel over the green in the M2 tells me you prefer the feeling of a lower torque shaft. So finding something that is in the low 3.x in torque but offers a better shaft profile than the Aldila and hzrdus could be what works best for you. Possibly even a counterbalance shaft like the hzrdus yellow that’s going to launch and spin slightly more than the black even though it’s also a low/low profile 

Some potential other shafts of the top of my head that could work that have the lower torque and would potentially give better launch conditions than the black without getting into the issues of the tensei and could be had relatively cheap if looking around ebay are Aldila rogue silver, graphite design ad-di and ad-iz, ust lin-q gunmetal and proforce v2

52 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the typical approach that many take in the self fit/blind buy arena for trying to find something that works.

Spin is ones friend until it reaches the too much or too little. Too much and you see the ballooning and the ball hits a wall and just falls out of the sky. Too little and it doesn’t get up in the air long enough and has a tendency to knuckle and just drop out of the sky. You not seeing a difference in distance kind of make ss ness because you are getting it two different ways. Not enough from the low spin/launch shafts and losing it from the others because it’s too much spin. More than likely your launch is also not helping. Not enough launch angle to offset the low spin in the black and Aldila green and too much launch to go with the high spin of the tensei. What weight class are your shafts? 

To make a better assessment knowing angle of attack, spin, launch angle, peak height or apex(depending on what term the mevo uses) and descent or land angle (again depends on term mevo uses) will help assess what’s happening to your ball with those shafts.

The torque rating on the black is around 3 whereas the adlidla green and the tensei iirc are at or around 4. Those shafts will have the tendcy to feel softer where they lower torque for some could feel harsh. Since who prefer the feel of the black in the M2, I’m guessing when you put it in the m1 you will like that feel over the green in the M2 tells me you prefer the feeling of a lower torque shaft. So finding something that is in the low 3.x in torque but offers a better shaft profile than the Aldila and hzrdus could be what works best for you. Possibly even a counterbalance shaft like the hzrdus yellow that’s going to launch and spin slightly more than the black even though it’s also a low/low profile 

Some potential other shafts of the top of my head that could work that have the lower torque and would potentially give better launch conditions than the black without getting into the issues of the tensei and could be had relatively cheap if looking around ebay are Aldila rogue silver, graphite design ad-di and ad-iz, ust lin-q gunmetal and proforce v2

Thanks. I am going to go by the range tonight while my son is at tennis and get some more data from my mevo. I also have the Aldila nv green in my cobra speedzone extreme, and really like the feel in that. The standard loft for that is 10.5, and at that with the aldila, i still felt that the ball flight was too high (though i could be mistaken about that, reading it seems that allot of armatures feel they are hitting it too high, but really aren't hitting it high enough). So far i actually prefer the feel of the Aldila, i think the feel that is messing me up in the M1 is just the club itself. I am going to try the M1 with the Tensei shaft at the range, and the M2 with the Aldila tonight and see what numbers i am getting and post those. If the M1 still feels dead to me, I will just put the hzrdus black in it and sell it on ebay, then focus on the M2 and Cobra, both with the aldila green for now. See which one works best, and stick with that (at least until the Honma for mygolfspy reviews arrives). 

Like I said, what started me on this journey was hitting some young Lieutenants Honma TW737 445 with the vizard type z stiff shaft in 9.5 degree that one day, was hitting my clubs max 260 all day (speedzone extreme and M2) and in one swing hit that 285, and that is what started me on this journey. I am an analyst and a tinkerer, which gets kinda expensive with my 2 favorite hobbies (golf and shooting)......It is tons of fun though. 

Again, thanks for the info, keep it coming 🙂

9 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Thanks. I am going to go by the range tonight while my son is at tennis and get some more data from my mevo. I also have the Aldila nv green in my cobra speedzone extreme, and really like the feel in that. The standard loft for that is 10.5, and at that with the aldila, i still felt that the ball flight was too high (though i could be mistaken about that, reading it seems that allot of armatures feel they are hitting it too high, but really aren't hitting it high enough). So far i actually prefer the feel of the Aldila, i think the feel that is messing me up in the M1 is just the club itself. I am going to try the M1 with the Tensei shaft at the range, and the M2 with the Aldila tonight and see what numbers i am getting and post those. If the M1 still feels dead to me, I will just put the hzrdus black in it and sell it on ebay, then focus on the M2 and Cobra, both with the aldila green for now. See which one works best, and stick with that (at least until the Honma for mygolfspy reviews arrives). 

Like I said, what started me on this journey was hitting some young Lieutenants Honma TW737 445 with the vizard type z stiff shaft in 9.5 degree that one day, was hitting my clubs max 260 all day (speedzone extreme and M2) and in one swing hit that 285, and that is what started me on this journey. I am an analyst and a tinkerer, which gets kinda expensive with my 2 favorite hobbies (golf and shooting)......It is tons of fun though. 

Again, thanks for the info, keep it coming 🙂

The m1 to me and in guys I know that played it in both the 2016 and 2017 version a good driver but the 2016 M2 was a lot better. Those who preferred the m1 usually like the smaller head. I don’t remember if 2016 was 430 or 440cc. The 2016 m2 is a driver that has kind of a cult status.

based on your data from the course and your experience with the Honma driver on the same day the distance difference seems reasonable if you are spinning yours too much. What you saw in your recent testing with the m1 and M2 and have 50+ yard difference is no bueno along with. 10+ loss from that day in the course. Hard to pass up even that much difference.

Ill be curious to see what your thoughts are on feel of the ball in the M2 compared to m1.

as for your testing on the range. Hit 5 shots note somewhere the data from each. Then switch to whatever other club do the same. Then if you switch up head shaft/combo again do the same. More than 5 and we amateurs especially when looking at the number start chasing them and end up manipulating our swings to try and get certain numbers. I’m still guilty of this every so often.

i just looked up the mevo to see what data could be collected. Angle of attack and land angle arent available. But based on swing and ball speed,spin and apex Theres data points that can tell what’s good or bad

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The m1 to me and in guys I know that played it in both the 2016 and 2017 version a good driver but the 2016 M2 was a lot better. Those who preferred the m1 usually like the smaller head. I don’t remember if 2016 was 430 or 440cc. The 2016 m2 is a driver that has kind of a cult status.

based on your data from the course and your experience with the Honma driver on the same day the distance difference seems reasonable if you are spinning yours too much. What you saw in your recent testing with the m1 and M2 and have 50+ yard difference is no bueno along with. 10+ loss from that day in the course. Hard to pass up even that much difference.

Ill be curious to see what your thoughts are on feel of the ball in the M2 compared to m1.

as for your testing on the range. Hit 5 shots note somewhere the data from each. Then switch to whatever other club do the same. Then if you switch up head shaft/combo again do the same. More than 5 and we amateurs especially when looking at the number start chasing them and end up manipulating our swings to try and get certain numbers. I’m still guilty of this every so often.

i just looked up the mevo to see what data could be collected. Angle of attack and land angle arent available. But based on swing and ball speed,spin and apex Theres data points that can tell what’s good or bad

Thanks again. Yeah, that day I was playing a regular flex shaft in my cobra (aldila rouge elite green), and the Tensei Blue stiff in my M2. I hit his Honma pretty much down the exact same line as my other two, they just ended up catching the trees on the left, his missed them and was middle fairway (slight dogleg left)......couldn't believe it. of course, could have just been a lucky shot i guess. 

In some defense of yesterday, it was pretty wet and we had thunderstorms the previous night, so I am sure the ball wasn't rolling as far. 

I do know i like the feel of the M2, gamed it for a few years, actually just switched this year.....would be funny (or sad) if I end up going back to it. Oh well. I will do as you said, 5 shots, then alternate clubs, and document any loft adjustments I make as well. I know from research that the mevo is pretty consistent in spin, but is generally about 10% higher than something like trackman or foresight, so should be able to get a good idea of spin rates. Launch is another story, seems all over the place from the reviews I have seen, so that might have to be more perception. 

Was able to get out to the range today after the thunderstorm, man post storm humidity is fun in Georgia 🙂

So I went ahead and put the Tensei CK Blue 60 Stiff flex shaft in the M1 to give that a try. Additionally, I noticed that with the front weight in the center position (marked by a neon green dot), it isn't actually center of the clubface, more like 1 position closer to the heel, so i moved it to the center of the club face. Holy crud, what a change. No more dead feeling, now it feels great. I probably should have put the aldila nv green shaft back in it to see if it was mainly the weight, or the shaft.....but wheeeeew, hitting about 40-50 drives in that humidity wears you out. Missing from this is the Honma for official mygolfspy testing, i didn't include it cause that would be a spoiler 🙂

Here is the M1 with Tensei CK Blue 60 S-flex, 9.5 degree:

95068855_m1tenseiblue.jpg.0710d6e35e9c18b7196162dd1f256535.jpg

Cobra with Aldila NV Green S-Flex, 9.5 degree

1365068680_cobraaldilanvgreen.jpg.82a6eb5325dff3c6001b5bd897b5211e.jpg

1756547437_cobraaldilanvgreen2.jpg.e42690628f201309e5aca7f24eb8b724.jpg

M2 with aldila nv green S-flex, 10.5 (this is where I started getting tired, and there were more shots than what is shown, for some reason the mevo doesn't like this club)

445837223_m2aldilanvgreen.jpg.4bcb4e7892648eed790066ab7a02599d.jpg

M2 with Tensei Blue CK 60 S-flex, 10.5 (at this point, i am basically worthless, time for Yuengling).....and just realized  i didn't screenshot this one like i did the others......perhaps too much Yuengling????

186190826_m2tenseiblue.jpg.782c491724a59d95b838ac1c471da443.jpg

22 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Was able to get out to the range today after the thunderstorm, man post storm humidity is fun in Georgia 🙂

So I went ahead and put the Tensei CK Blue 60 Stiff flex shaft in the M1 to give that a try. Additionally, I noticed that with the front weight in the center position (marked by a neon green dot), it isn't actually center of the clubface, more like 1 position closer to the heel, so i moved it to the center of the club face. Holy crud, what a change. No more dead feeling, now it feels great. I probably should have put the aldila nv green shaft back in it to see if it was mainly the weight, or the shaft.....but wheeeeew, hitting about 40-50 drives in that humidity wears you out. Missing from this is the Honma for official mygolfspy testing, i didn't include it cause that would be a spoiler 🙂

Here is the M1 with Tensei CK Blue 60 S-flex, 9.5 degree:

95068855_m1tenseiblue.jpg.0710d6e35e9c18b7196162dd1f256535.jpg

Cobra with Aldila NV Green S-Flex, 9.5 degree

1365068680_cobraaldilanvgreen.jpg.82a6eb5325dff3c6001b5bd897b5211e.jpg

1756547437_cobraaldilanvgreen2.jpg.e42690628f201309e5aca7f24eb8b724.jpg

M2 with aldila nv green S-flex, 10.5 (this is where I started getting tired, and there were more shots than what is shown, for some reason the mevo doesn't like this club)

445837223_m2aldilanvgreen.jpg.4bcb4e7892648eed790066ab7a02599d.jpg

M2 with Tensei Blue CK 60 S-flex, 10.5 (at this point, i am basically worthless, time for Yuengling).....and just realized  i didn't screenshot this one like i did the others......perhaps too much Yuengling????

186190826_m2tenseiblue.jpg.782c491724a59d95b838ac1c471da443.jpg

Based on these numbers you are making contact in various places across the face and probably have a negative aoa. I can see what you say balls are ballooning. As expected you have lot of shots that are high launch and high spin.

At your ball speed and your launch to see optimal type distance your spin needs to be 2100-2300. 

I would work on making more consistent contact on the club face. The M2 with aldila green is possibly your best setup but it might vary by day

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on these numbers you are making contact in various places across the face and probably have a negative aoa. I can see what you say balls are ballooning. As expected you have lot of shots that are high launch and high spin.

At your ball speed and your launch to see optimal type distance your spin needs to be 2100-2300. 

I would work on making more consistent contact on the club face. The M2 with aldila green is possibly your best setup but it might vary by day

yeah, it wasn't a great day striking, but wasn't too horrible either. like i said, they felt really good, but were getting progressively worse towards the end as i got tired. My two main misses are towards the toe, or low. This seems to happen when i get just a bit too far from the ball....if i pull away from it even slightly or my weight falls back, i hit toward the toe, if i come up a little then low on the club face. Still working on this.

Another annoying part was that the only thing consistent about the ball type was that it was completely inconsistent. I went to a course closer to my house due to having to wait for the storm to pass, and their range balls are a mix of actual range balls, and whatever else they find out there or on the course. So some range balls, some 2/3 piece distance balls, 2/3 piece softer balls, and 3/4/5 piece urethane balls.

1 hour ago, DechamBRO said:

yeah, it wasn't a great day striking, but wasn't too horrible either. like i said, they felt really good, but were getting progressively worse towards the end as i got tired. My two main misses are towards the toe, or low. This seems to happen when i get just a bit too far from the ball....if i pull away from it even slightly or my weight falls back, i hit toward the toe, if i come up a little then low on the club face. Still working on this.

Another annoying part was that the only thing consistent about the ball type was that it was completely inconsistent. I went to a course closer to my house due to having to wait for the storm to pass, and their range balls are a mix of actual range balls, and whatever else they find out there or on the course. So some range balls, some 2/3 piece distance balls, 2/3 piece softer balls, and 3/4/5 piece urethane balls.

Getting a feeling for what you like is important. Once you have that then it’s a matter of getting a shaft weight that goes with that feeling. The 60g range seems to be a good one for you.

the heel is going to be a spot that adds spin. 

the range balls could have impact on the spin numbers to an extent. 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Getting a feeling for what you like is important. Once you have that then it’s a matter of getting a shaft weight that goes with that feeling. The 60g range seems to be a good one for you.

the heel is going to be a spot that adds spin. 

the range balls could have impact on the spin numbers to an extent. 

Sadly I will have to pause this test/experiment and focus on testing the honma. I think another question starting in my mind is why do I not get along with snell golf balls?

9 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Sadly I will have to pause this test/experiment and focus on testing the honma. I think another question starting in my mind is why do I not get along with snell golf balls?

The testing is surely more important. One good thing is that you have some numbers to reference for comparison against current driver.

Which snell balls have you tried?

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The testing is surely more important. One good thing is that you have some numbers to reference for comparison against current driver.

Which snell balls have you tried?

The mtb-x and black. It’s weird, it has to be some sort of mental thing. I really like the vice pro and tm tour response. Gonna give the maxfli tour and tour x a try as well.

24 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

The mtb-x and black. It’s weird, it has to be some sort of mental thing. I really like the vice pro and tm tour response. Gonna give the maxfli tour and tour x a try as well.

Sounds like you prefer a softer feeling ball

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sounds like you prefer a softer feeling ball

I think so, but wasn’t a fan of the vice pro soft, but that could be because the only color available was light blue. Wasn’t blown away by the q  star tour either

30 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

I think so, but wasn’t a fan of the vice pro soft, but that could be because the only color available was light blue. Wasn’t blown away by the q  star tour either

Gotcha. Our minds are wonderful. It crazy things. 

On 7/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Man, you weren’t joking about the m2 having a cult status. After checking what they were selling for on eBay, I couldn’t resist listing it. 
On another note, I figured out that a good bit of my problem with conscience has been my lower body being too active on my swing, that then causes me to over swing, then my timing and everything is way off. So hopefully will get some better numbers posted soon. I can take my time a little bit on the honma review as I am the only one who has received the club at this point.

I am also going to get s as lesson as soon as my sons free time, and my free time line up 😀

39 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Man, you weren’t joking about the m2 having a cult status. After checking what they were selling for on eBay, I couldn’t resist listing it. 
On another note, I figured out that a good bit of my problem with conscience has been my lower body being too active on my swing, that then causes me to over swing, then my timing and everything is way off. So hopefully will get some better numbers posted soon. I can take my time a little bit on the honma review as I am the only one who has received the club at this point.

I am also going to get s as lesson as soon as my sons free time, and my free time line up 😀

There’s days I wish I still had mine with the ust helium shaft from my trip there 5 years ago. Even with the hzrdus yellow I had before that.

Overactive lower body will definitely cause issues. When I went to one of the the local instructors I used on and off he worked on that with me

On 7/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Just reread this…. The distance shown on the Mevo is estimated carry distance, not total distance. Seems with all my drivers I am generally 240-260 yards total distance (with a descent/good swing)

Today was about just relaxing and swinging the friggin club. Save all the technical/mechanical stuff for practice at the range. Contact felt much better, so long as I kept my eye on the ball. Today’s numbers below, also pics of all the roll out I was getting (very sarcastic)B787C964-BB2B-4EE0-B706-F120951C3725.png.e190739cb12f5e8cc8e628af86e00620.pngCA6D37BD-51E3-4B07-97C9-11CC6FC0F892.jpeg.3e29c7f8b209a3fe057fb3b2067d80c3.jpeg2A61E1CF-8618-4F4D-B03D-9C859DB0F1CF.jpeg.a08c16b1359551c75ee4c9728660a800.jpeg20FF2CC3-92F7-4669-B027-DA264EE134DB.jpeg.1f17652471511a45f0e45adf62b90dbe.jpeg

Fun thread - you are definitely a MGSer taking this on. 

I’m simpler than most. The trend I’m seeing is that when you keep your launch rate around 15 and spin rate under 3,000 you get the most carry.

It would be very helpful to get in one high level LM session to determine your AoA for certain. Then check out on line - there are charts out there that tell you, this swing speed, this AoA’s ideal launch angle and Spin Rate.  

Try to match that

Im guessing it will be between 14 and 15 and 2,500. 

BTW you could try messing with tee height a bit as well. Also shaft length. Have you figured out a pattern of where on the club face your misses are coming?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD