What friggin driver should I be using (testing the 3 I currently own against each other)

9 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Sadly I will have to pause this test/experiment and focus on testing the honma. I think another question starting in my mind is why do I not get along with snell golf balls?

The testing is surely more important. One good thing is that you have some numbers to reference for comparison against current driver.

Which snell balls have you tried?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The testing is surely more important. One good thing is that you have some numbers to reference for comparison against current driver.

Which snell balls have you tried?

The mtb-x and black. It’s weird, it has to be some sort of mental thing. I really like the vice pro and tm tour response. Gonna give the maxfli tour and tour x a try as well.

Driver:  :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.5, Aldila NV Green 65 S-Flex. For now, testing in progress

Fairway: :ping-small: G400 3 Wood, 14.5, Alta CB 65, S-Flex

Hybrid:  :ping-small: G400 3 Hybrid, 19, Alta CB 70, S-Flex

Irons:   :cobra-small: RADSPEED one-length 5-GW, KBS Tour, R-flex

Wedges:  :cobra-small: SnakeBite, 56, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  :cameron-small: Phantom X #6 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2

Ball:  working on that, going to be a urethane ball in the $35 range.....testing to come.

Grips: Winn DriTac midsize

24 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

The mtb-x and black. It’s weird, it has to be some sort of mental thing. I really like the vice pro and tm tour response. Gonna give the maxfli tour and tour x a try as well.

Sounds like you prefer a softer feeling ball

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sounds like you prefer a softer feeling ball

I think so, but wasn’t a fan of the vice pro soft, but that could be because the only color available was light blue. Wasn’t blown away by the q  star tour either

Driver:  :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 9.5, Aldila NV Green 65 S-Flex. For now, testing in progress

Ball:  working on that, going to be a urethane ball in the $35 range.....testing to come.

30 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

I think so, but wasn’t a fan of the vice pro soft, but that could be because the only color available was light blue. Wasn’t blown away by the q  star tour either

Gotcha. Our minds are wonderful. It crazy things. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The m1 to me and in guys I know that played it in both the 2016 and 2017 version a good driver but the 2016 M2 was a lot better. Those who preferred the m1 usually like the smaller head. I don’t remember if 2016 was 430 or 440cc. The 2016 m2 is a driver that has kind of a cult status.

based on your data from the course and your experience with the Honma driver on the same day the distance difference seems reasonable if you are spinning yours too much. What you saw in your recent testing with the m1 and M2 and have 50+ yard difference is no bueno along with. 10+ loss from that day in the course. Hard to pass up even that much difference.

Ill be curious to see what your thoughts are on feel of the ball in the M2 compared to m1.

as for your testing on the range. Hit 5 shots note somewhere the data from each. Then switch to whatever other club do the same. Then if you switch up head shaft/combo again do the same. More than 5 and we amateurs especially when looking at the number start chasing them and end up manipulating our swings to try and get certain numbers. I’m still guilty of this every so often.

i just looked up the mevo to see what data could be collected. Angle of attack and land angle arent available. But based on swing and ball speed,spin and apex Theres data points that can tell what’s good or bad

Man, you weren’t joking about the m2 having a cult status. After checking what they were selling for on eBay, I couldn’t resist listing it. 
On another note, I figured out that a good bit of my problem with conscience has been my lower body being too active on my swing, that then causes me to over swing, then my timing and everything is way off. So hopefully will get some better numbers posted soon. I can take my time a little bit on the honma review as I am the only one who has received the club at this point.

I am also going to get s as lesson as soon as my sons free time, and my free time line up 😀

39 minutes ago, DechamBRO said:

Man, you weren’t joking about the m2 having a cult status. After checking what they were selling for on eBay, I couldn’t resist listing it. 
On another note, I figured out that a good bit of my problem with conscience has been my lower body being too active on my swing, that then causes me to over swing, then my timing and everything is way off. So hopefully will get some better numbers posted soon. I can take my time a little bit on the honma review as I am the only one who has received the club at this point.

I am also going to get s as lesson as soon as my sons free time, and my free time line up 😀

There’s days I wish I still had mine with the ust helium shaft from my trip there 5 years ago. Even with the hzrdus yellow I had before that.

Overactive lower body will definitely cause issues. When I went to one of the the local instructors I used on and off he worked on that with me

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The m1 to me and in guys I know that played it in both the 2016 and 2017 version a good driver but the 2016 M2 was a lot better. Those who preferred the m1 usually like the smaller head. I don’t remember if 2016 was 430 or 440cc. The 2016 m2 is a driver that has kind of a cult status.

based on your data from the course and your experience with the Honma driver on the same day the distance difference seems reasonable if you are spinning yours too much. What you saw in your recent testing with the m1 and M2 and have 50+ yard difference is no bueno along with. 10+ loss from that day in the course. Hard to pass up even that much difference.

Ill be curious to see what your thoughts are on feel of the ball in the M2 compared to m1.

as for your testing on the range. Hit 5 shots note somewhere the data from each. Then switch to whatever other club do the same. Then if you switch up head shaft/combo again do the same. More than 5 and we amateurs especially when looking at the number start chasing them and end up manipulating our swings to try and get certain numbers. I’m still guilty of this every so often.

i just looked up the mevo to see what data could be collected. Angle of attack and land angle arent available. But based on swing and ball speed,spin and apex Theres data points that can tell what’s good or bad

Just reread this…. The distance shown on the Mevo is estimated carry distance, not total distance. Seems with all my drivers I am generally 240-260 yards total distance (with a descent/good swing)

Today was about just relaxing and swinging the friggin club. Save all the technical/mechanical stuff for practice at the range. Contact felt much better, so long as I kept my eye on the ball. Today’s numbers below, also pics of all the roll out I was getting (very sarcastic)B787C964-BB2B-4EE0-B706-F120951C3725.png.e190739cb12f5e8cc8e628af86e00620.pngCA6D37BD-51E3-4B07-97C9-11CC6FC0F892.jpeg.3e29c7f8b209a3fe057fb3b2067d80c3.jpeg2A61E1CF-8618-4F4D-B03D-9C859DB0F1CF.jpeg.a08c16b1359551c75ee4c9728660a800.jpeg20FF2CC3-92F7-4669-B027-DA264EE134DB.jpeg.1f17652471511a45f0e45adf62b90dbe.jpeg

Fun thread - you are definitely a MGSer taking this on. 

I’m simpler than most. The trend I’m seeing is that when you keep your launch rate around 15 and spin rate under 3,000 you get the most carry.

It would be very helpful to get in one high level LM session to determine your AoA for certain. Then check out on line - there are charts out there that tell you, this swing speed, this AoA’s ideal launch angle and Spin Rate.  

Try to match that

Im guessing it will be between 14 and 15 and 2,500. 

BTW you could try messing with tee height a bit as well. Also shaft length. Have you figured out a pattern of where on the club face your misses are coming?

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Fun thread - you are definitely a MGSer taking this on. 

I’m simpler than most. The trend I’m seeing is that when you keep your launch rate around 15 and spin rate under 3,000 you get the most carry.

It would be very helpful to get in one high level LM session to determine your AoA for certain. Then check out on line - there are charts out there that tell you, this swing speed, this AoA’s ideal launch angle and Spin Rate.  

Try to match that

Im guessing it will be between 14 and 15 and 2,500. 

BTW you could try messing with tee height a bit as well. Also shaft length. Have you figured out a pattern of where on the club face your misses are coming?

Yeah, that is what I have read online for my swing speed as well. I do like seeing the actual results on the course as well though. I am hoping to get on a higher end launch monitor in the near future, for more precise numbers than the Mevo can offer.I feel it is fairly accurate with most numbers, spin from everything I have seen/heard/read is that it is generally about 10% high. Launch angle and peak height though are much less consistent.

My biggest miss is def towards the toe

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DechamBRO said:

Yeah, that is what I have read online for my swing speed as well. I do like seeing the actual results on the course as well though. I am hoping to get on a higher end launch monitor in the near future, for more precise numbers than the Mevo can offer.I feel it is fairly accurate with most numbers, spin from everything I have seen/heard/read is that it is generally about 10% high. Launch angle and peak height though are much less consistent.

My biggest miss is def towards the toe

Try hitting a series of balls where you grip down into the mix too. If they are stock 45.5 shafts - measure 1/2 inch and put a mark of some sort for consistency sake.

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.