TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway/hybrid quandary...what would MGS do?

DStar

I'm looking at my long game a little more at the moment and seeing what clubs I should be using to improve my accuracy off the tee and even out my gaps. 

Driver is a Cobra F6+ which I'm starting to hit consistently around 300-320 (up to 340 on a good day), I have a Titleist 913F 3-wood which I've not really used much as I don't have too much confidence in it (maybe because I don't use it so much) and have recently bought a used 816H1 21° hybrid which I'm hitting the around 240-260y.

I feel pretty comfortable with the 816 so I'm thinking of getting another but in 19° which I could wind down to 18, I'm guessing it should be good for around 270-280. I could then tweak the 21° to 22-23 to fill the gap between that and my 4i (200-210y). 

Anyone else playing driver-hybrid, no fairway wood? 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Lots of people have passed on the fairway wood and opted for a lower lofted hybrid. Unless you are playing insanely long courses, I wouldnt think you'd hit a 3 wood very often with your distances. If you are not set on Titleist there are quite a few manufactures that make 16 or 17 degree hybrids. Some with adjustability that you can turn even lower. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Which do you think you would hit better.  IF you like hybrids and the performance is right it sounds like a perfect setup 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was playing driver/2 hybrid 18 degree. I recently switched to a 3 W, only because I wanted in improvement in technology, and I have always preferred a 3 W. Growing up, I would hit my old persimmon Spaulding 3 W or PT 15 and never hit a driver because I was long enough with my 3 W. For me I went with comfort. I agree with cnosil. If you feel like the setup fits your game, and you're comfortable hitting the hybrid, then that's the way to go.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I tried a hybrid 2-3 fly-z if I remember correctly from cobra, didn't hit him consistent enough, sold it at the beginning of the year, My swing speed is nowhere near yours so might work for you but for me longer shaft tend to not do well for some player. I game a cobra F-8 5 wood downlofted to 17 degre, According to my arccos, driving average is 245, 5 wood is 208, depend where I play but I rarely need to do more than 210 with the 5 wood, could probably push my average around 215 with it but it's not needed for me at the moment. I strongly would recommend to get fit by a good pro for that "gap" in your bag. Been playing around 3wood, 5 wood, hybrid 2-3, hybrid 4 lately and I ended up with 5wood and hybrid 4, got around 10 yards gap in between the 2

On 7/8/2021 at 1:26 AM, DStar said:

I'm looking at my long game a little more at the moment and seeing what clubs I should be using to improve my accuracy off the tee and even out my gaps. 

Driver is a Cobra F6+ which I'm starting to hit consistently around 300-320 (up to 340 on a good day), I have a Titleist 913F 3-wood which I've not really used much as I don't have too much confidence in it (maybe because I don't use it so much) and have recently bought a used 816H1 21° hybrid which I'm hitting the around 240-260y.

I feel pretty comfortable with the 816 so I'm thinking of getting another but in 19° which I could wind down to 18, I'm guessing it should be good for around 270-280. I could then tweak the 21° to 22-23 to fill the gap between that and my 4i (200-210y). 

Those are some nice distances DStar...  a whole bunch of touring pros would kill for those. What distance do you get with the 913F? Hybrids seem to fall into the "love em or hate em" for many folks.  If you're making reliable contact/ball flight with the 816H, and hitting them well off the short grass and rough, then I think your plan to add another or two makes great sense.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

When I catch the 3 wood right it's about 270-280 but I don't get it right very often, maybe from lack of trying but the hybrid just seems to be a much easier club to hit consistently. 

Going to keep a look out for a 19°.. 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:26 AM, DStar said:

I stopped playing a 3 wood several years ago because I hit my 5 wood just as far and way more consistently.

Before you give up on fairway woods, try a 4 or 5 wood and compare them to the 18 or 19 degree hybrids.  See which you like best.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Just ordered a 19° 816H1 to go with the 21°. Bit of a bargain off eBay so hoping it'll work out.

Going to set the 19 to 18°, the 21 to 22 and see how the gaps work out...

DStar 'Malvern' Putter