Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cheap stuff that helps?

DStar

I've been struggling a bit with my driver for consistency which has been really annoying and hard to solve as I don't get any time to hit the range as there isn't a local one to me.

Tried a few things, altering my stance etc - too many things getting into my head and wasn't sure what I was doing. Anyhow....

I needed some new tee pegs, fast, so ordered some of these of Amazon:

51COUni8gQS._AC_SL1050_.jpg.5e0d91e7d99c329b5c4ecf524e3e9e1b.jpg

For the last couple of rounds I've been using the 1st mark as my 'go to' for setting the ball height and, maybe it's not related but, my driving has suddenly become much more consistent. I'm striking the ball well, good flight and super distance.

Could it be down to having a set tee height? 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Could be, consistent tee height is  important

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

correct ball position and consistent (correct) tee height make a big difference. TXG has a YouTube video on this.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Glad they have helped your game.  Golf is 90% mental and the rest is in your mind.  Yogism........ with respect.....

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

As much as a bunch of "better" golfers might throw shade at them, I have found "Step Tees" with a hard stop you push in the ground has helped my game off the tee immensely. I use a chinese "knock off" of the Martini Tee and they are great......much better than the Martini's. Those would break on me after about three rounds and these chinese ones are made of a more durable and flexible plastic, maybe polypropylene? I haven't broken one yet......but do sometimes lose them by forgetting to pick them up after "admiring" my tee shot too long!

Big Cup 3-1/4" Golf Tees Pack Of 60 Durable Tees Multi Color Cups Golfs Sports 804879489023 | eBay

8 hours ago, DStar said:

I've been struggling a bit with my driver for consistency which has been really annoying and hard to solve as I don't get any time to hit the range as there isn't a local one to me.

Tried a few things, altering my stance etc - too many things getting into my head and wasn't sure what I was doing. Anyhow....

I needed some new tee pegs, fast, so ordered some of these of Amazon:

51COUni8gQS._AC_SL1050_.jpg.5e0d91e7d99c329b5c4ecf524e3e9e1b.jpg

For the last couple of rounds I've been using the 1st mark as my 'go to' for setting the ball height and, maybe it's not related but, my driving has suddenly become much more consistent. I'm striking the ball well, good flight and super distance.

Could it be down to having a set tee height? 

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

Most of the instruction you will find on improving driving will mention tee height as one of the key things.  Optimally, you want to be hitting driver on an upswing -- level or up 1 to 3 degrees.    Teeing the ball higher will influence both the positive angle of attack and also a swing path a bit more to the right than left -- both good things.   Understand that the ball position and tee height are relative to your own swing.  The club (head) arch travels  down > level > up and also  right > to target > left.    Ball position and tee height are easy to experiment with and you should.   For example, if I want to hit a drive that I *know* will not go left, I move the ball back in my stance about a ball width -- 2 - 3 inches.   And since my club will be lower at that point in my swing, I tee it down a bit more (say, maybe 3/8 of an inch).  The result is my club arrives at the ball with the face still slightly open rather than square.  Since it is arriving earlier than normal, its not as much on the upswing, so teeing it down ensures I get it  in the middle of the clubface.  The result is (pretty dependably) a low ball flight that fades about 10  to 15 yards.   I just aim it up the left with confidence that it wont go farther left -- most likely right.    All of that is controlled by where I tee the ball in my stance.. and adjust the tee height so I don't get the ball too high or too low on the clubface.    Just for reference, I tee the ball so that the top of the tee is right at the 2nd joint of my forefinger (pointer) with my finger tip touching mother earth (  not pressing down, but  past the grass to the dirt line).  That's my standard with Driver regardless if my tee has the lines, or not.   I used to actually red-line my tees.  I just found measuring with my finger to be easier.  And when I want to tee it lower, I just go about 3/8 of an inch below that line on my finger (2nd joint).  On my hand, that is 2 1/8 inches.    I also use foot spray on my driver to ensure I am getting center contact and at the middle of the driver (vertically), or just a bit higher, which is the best for my Ping 410 Plus for my swing speed.   

Edited by saz0418
typos

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

When I fit customers with issues like yours, the first thing I do, after deciding on the firmness of the shaft, is shaft length. With a 10/10.5° head, I have the customer hit a standard shaft, one -1", one -2". Choking down doesn't work. The shaft needs to be shorter, hold it naturally, and swing. Most stock drivers are 45.5", and there's a reason pros hit 44"-44.5"...ACCURACY. I always start at 44.5" with a person 5'6"-5'9", and could go a bit shorter. Customers over 6'4" might need an extra .5". I'm 6' and hit a 44" driver, long and straight. Once you find the right length experiment with lead tape in 2" strips angled from the back center to the right and left front corners. Add and subtract until to get to the right combination. You'll know when the ball goes long and straight 90% of the time. Best weights C-9 to D-1, but go with whatever works for you.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

9 minutes ago, Chester3488 said:

Why? I'm not doubting you. I just don't know. 

I'm guessing the biggest reason for this is that choking down means you're holding a narrower part of the grip, or you might even be off the grip into the shaft. A narrower grip will create different grip pressures, likely more squeezing and tension.

I wonder also whether choking down creates a very slight counter balance situation as there is weight above your gripping point which could affect the swing weight.

In any event, if you're cutting shafts down, it's not always as simple as just lopping off half an inch. You may then also need to add head weight to maintain the same swing weight. Taking half an inch off will change the swing weight be about 3 points, and one swing weight is about 2g of headweight.

If you don't play enough to keep your golfing muscles in good condition & sufficient strength there is any easy solution. Get an old steel shafted wood, cut a hole in the end of the grip. Drop split shot (usually used for fishing) into the hole one at a time. Use a steel rod with a small enough diameter that it will go through the hole to the bottom of the shaft. Hold the head and ram each piece of split shot to the bottom of the shaft so it stays in place, then add another one. Keep adding them until it is heavy enough to be like lifting weights for golf - sort of like a leaded bat in baseball. Swing it only a few times the first day so you don't hurt yourself. Gradually increase the number of repetitions until you are swinging it 50 or more times each day. It takes only about 5 minutes in the driveway. I do 70 reps. It will force you to use your legs and body to initiate your downswing and to delay your wrist uncock. It also forces a full follow through. You will swing better, hit the ball farther and straighter. You will have enough strength to control the clubface.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

19 hours ago, paul6057 said:

I'm guessing the biggest reason for this is that choking down means you're holding a narrower part of the grip, or you might even be off the grip into the shaft. A narrower grip will create different grip pressures, likely more squeezing and tension.

I wonder also whether choking down creates a very slight counter balance situation as there is weight above your gripping point which could affect the swing weight.

In any event, if you're cutting shafts down, it's not always as simple as just lopping off half an inch. You may then also need to add head weight to maintain the same swing weight. Taking half an inch off will change the swing weight be about 3 points, and one swing weight is about 2g of headweight.

That's interesting. In my experience driver shafts are all butt trimmed now-a-days. Very few players (only ones with extreme swing speeds) will tip a driver shaft. I've never seen anyone add weight to a driver head. ... at least not in the last 25 years or so. 

Interesting discussion. 

Personally, I grip my driver about an inch down the grip for most drives. Occasionally I'll slide back to the end of the grip if I'm really trying to whale on one. Sometimes I'll slide an inch or so down the grip if I really have to be certain to fade one. 

Nice chat, take care.  

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

21 hours ago, paul6057 said:

If you're using a tapered grip. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, Chester3488 said:

That's interesting. In my experience driver shafts are all butt trimmed now-a-days. Very few players (only ones with extreme swing speeds) will tip a driver shaft. I've never seen anyone add weight to a driver head. ... at least not in the last 25 years or so. 

Interesting discussion. 

Personally, I grip my driver about an inch down the grip for most drives. Occasionally I'll slide back to the end of the grip if I'm really trying to whale on one. Sometimes I'll slide an inch or so down the grip if I really have to be certain to fade one. 

Nice chat, take care.  

we are in different worlds. Almost every shaft I have ever had has been tip trimmed and I've been constantly battling how to add weight to the driver head, going so far as to add yarn inside the head, lead tape, buying aftermarket weights, baking the head in the oven to move hotmelt, etc. Should have bought a hotmelt kit years ago. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Have to disagree re: choking down. Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia do this all the time to name a few.  Reduces distince and improves accuracy on holes where accuracy is at a premium. Like anything else, practice first. Choking down 1/2 inch on your irons also fills in the gaps. Easier for some than taking one more club and swinging 80% or trying to step on a lesser club for extra distance.

Short game savant, driving disaster...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, FmrCaddie13 said:

Have to disagree re: choking down. Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia do this all the time to name a few.  Reduces distince and improves accuracy on holes where accuracy is at a premium. Like anything else, practice first. Choking down 1/2 inch on your irons also fills in the gaps. Easier for some than taking one more club and swinging 80% or trying to step on a lesser club for extra distance.

I'm with you, bro. 
Saw an interview with Xander Schauffele who said he'll choke down on his driver as much as 4 inches. 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:41 AM, FmrCaddie13 said:

I agree. I choke down on all my clubs all the time for different reasons: be it accuracy off the tee, lower ball flight, Adjusting distance with an iron, ect...

saying choking down doesn't work as a blind statement just sounds like they have not practiced it enough to see the possible benefits. That's like saying swinging a club lefty doesn't work because I normally swing righty. Clearly wrong, I just don't know how to do it...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x