Shot shape  

443 members have voted

1. 1. On course, do you work the ball both ways or almost exclusively still to a single shape?

• Work it both ways
    • Play one shape
    • Seriously? I'm just trying to keep the ball on the course

Basically I play a baby fade--- Back in my younger years I had a rope hook problem. I basically taught myself a anti hook swing. Since coming back from severe back injuries and having to change my swing some to take stress off of my back. I have found I can work it both ways. Starting to get confident with a draw especially with the driver and fairway woods. 

• Like 4

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

Like a lot of things I’ve learned, it depends. Nearly every good golfer that I’ve ever played with played it one way. For five years I played a lot with a guy who vied with me for low cap in our league - we finished 1,2 4 out of the 5 years and 2,4 the other time.

Both of us played it one way albeit the opposite of one another. 

I’m a right to left guy - I can hit it left to right but should only do so when it’s an absolute must. If it’s a right pin I’m going middle of the green and trusting the putter.

With all due respect what Tiger did has no relevance to anyone here. In fact he was so good that copying his game had little relevance to other guys on tour.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

9 hours ago, revkev said:

Like a lot of things I’ve learned, it depends. Nearly every good golfer that I’ve ever played with played it one way. For five years I played a lot with a guy who vied with me for low cap in our league - we finished 1,2 4 out of the 5 years and 2,4 the other time.

Both of us played it one way albeit the opposite of one another. 

I’m a right to left guy - I can hit it left to right but should only do so when it’s an absolute must. If it’s a right pin I’m going middle of the green and trusting the putter.

With all due respect what Tiger did has no relevance to anyone here. In fact he was so good that copying his game had little relevance to other guys on tour.

I really liked to hear Tiger talk about Seve, and how watching him helped his game.  Two golf savants.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revkev said:

I've seen shot by shot mapping of Tiger's strategy in tournaments in conditions where the announcers said he was pressing or had to work shots into  pins.   Shot mapping did not show  this to be true;  he followed the same strategy as prior rounds with no deviation.   This  is the strategy that many players on tour are following.  From a ball flight perspective,  like you said, playing a stock shot is probably the best approach....definitely off the tee and probably in 95+% of the shots you hit elsewhere.  Tiger's real strength was his ability to not let the situation sway his strategy;  he had the best mental game and was able to maintain it for 72 holes. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Over the years I’m most consistent with a fade driver, draw irons.  I don’t work those clubs I wake up with what I have and play with that, the shots go fairly straight so it’s not much of a draw or fade, more of a straight shot 

my hybrids and fair woods I have a very strong curve to it and typically don’t bring those clubs out unless I have to.  For some unexplained reason I cannot hit these straightish, not even a baby curve like a do with my irons or river.  it’s either a slice or hook.  And I plan for it will I bring that club out of my bag

Edited by Haro

I used to be good enough to shape the ball both ways.  Then I quit for 5+ years.  When I started, I fought a hook for 2+ years.  I'd give anything to never turn another ball left.  That being said, I'm getting to where I can control a bit of a draw now... sometimes.

For those who say they play most shots straight, I submit... if it goes right, then it's a fade, if it goes left, then it's a draw, and if it goes straight, then it's an accident (or a miracle... however you wanna look at it).

• Like 1

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.

I like Jack's strategy for hitting in to greens (Tiger followed the same strategy). He would aim for the middle of the green and either draw it or fade it depending on the location of the flag. You really have to command of you ball though. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can hit driver OB in either direction(currently learning a draw after 2 seasons of hitting fades)

3wood I can shape both ways depending on the situation 

Irons are a baby draw

Generally the driver only makes an appearance on par 5’s where I can afford to miss either side

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

• 2 weeks later...