TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Haney Project

Addicted2Golf

What do you guys think of the show? How successful will Haney be in attempting to help Ray Romano break 80? Have you learned anything from the first two shows that you can apply to your own game?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haven't seen it yet, but I have to think that someone with the passion for the game, like RR, should have no trouble breaking 80. For most people, that number is a mental thing.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

haven't seen it yet, but I have to think that someone with the passion for the game, like RR, should have no trouble breaking 80. For most people, that number is a mental thing.

Funny you say that, because they are alluding to the fact that Ray might have some mental block about changing his swing that will prevent him from making progress as quickly as Haney believes he can.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Saw the first show, watched the Barkley season. I like Hank, he seems very personable, and dedicated to helping the people he teaches. I like Ray, and I think Hank will get through to him.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I think a lot of him breaking 80, or not, is what course them chose for his big attempt. Ray's decent enough....but I still say it's 50/50 at best. I like the guy, and if you haven't seen it, his new show "Men of A Certain Age" is good....check it out on Hulu.

• SPY VIP

Hard to follow Sir Charles. Watched the first episode and I was shocked at how good RR's swing looked. I was expecting more pause and duck after last season. Maybe the producers realized that the time frame of the show required someone with a better starting skill set.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Hard to follow Sir Charles. Watched the first episode and I was shocked at how good RR's swing looked. I was expecting more pause and duck after last season. Maybe the producers realized that the time frame of the show required someone with a better starting skill set.

Yeah, they needed Haney to actually be able to fix the person's swing. I don't think anyone could fix Charles' swing.

I'm sure there's more to the series than what we see, and it is probably slanted by the producers, but is appears that RR is very negative, and he is constantly putting himself down and saying how bad he is... I think he will probably reach his goal, and this is to make the change more drastic, but I'd like to see him more positive, it is a great opportunity for him...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I'm sure there's more to the series than what we see, and it is probably slanted by the producers, but is appears that RR is very negative, and he is constantly putting himself down and saying how bad he is... I think he will probably reach his goal, and this is to make the change more drastic, but I'd like to see him more positive, it is a great opportunity for him...

No kidding on the opportunity. Any one of us would be nothing but positive. I am sure that all I would say is "Yes Mr. Haney. Thank you Mr. Haney. I will hit another 1000 balls Mr. Haney"

Volvo Intorqueo

I have watched the first two episodes and while it is hard to tell for certain what happens I do think that when it is all said and done Hank will probably help him reach his goal. At least Ray has a swing because they really didn't give Hank a snowballs chance in you know where by pairing him with Charles Barkley in the first season.

I think Ray will give Hank fits at times with his mental side, but I think they will work through all of that.

I truly think that anyone who can drive the ball over 230 consistently should be able to break 80 with practice in the right areas. It is all short game. pitching. chipping. putting. Stuff like that is boring to show on TGC, but it wears out a golf course.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I truly think that anyone who can drive the ball over 230 consistently should be able to break 80 with practice in the right areas. It is all short game. pitching. chipping. putting. Stuff like that is boring to show on TGC, but it wears out a golf course.

Agreed, with one small addition: 230 "in play"

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

230in play shouldn't be that tough with the new drivers and fairway clubs out there. I have seen RR swing the club. He generates plenty of clubhead speed to move it out there far enough. I think that his EGO might just get in the way of him having a realistic chance of breaking 80. Put a 16* 43" driver in his bag, and fairway city.

Yeah, they needed Haney to actually be able to fix the person's swing. I don't think anyone could fix Charles' swing.

Haney made the decision that Barkley's problem was a swing issue. I think that's where he made his mistake. IMO, his problem was all mental. Haney would have him hitting it better...but then they'd trot him out to play with a buddy, or have some of his "friends" come watch, and Barkley would immediately revert to his old crappy swing.

I speak a little more in general..The Golf Channel has really stepped it up with their own shows of late. Being John Daly, The Haney Project, the Golf Fix(a great show) and I sometimes even watch the Big Break. They have room for a couple more programs, but they are really becoming good TV to watch.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I speak a little more in general..The Golf Channel has really stepped it up with their own shows of late. Being John Daly, The Haney Project, the Golf Fix(a great show) and I sometimes even watch the Big Break. They have room for a couple more programs, but they are really becoming good TV to watch.

I agree, The Big Break is a great show... they's started to become a channel that's more than just Tournaments and news about tournaments...

I also like Top Ten and Amazing Golf Videos... They have really started turning around lately...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Ok....so what's your opinion/impression of Haney from the show (last year's and this one)?

I'll post my thoughts after I get some feedback.

He seems OK to me. He has a bit of an odd tempo to him. Almost like a pause in conversation before he replies. Overall, he seems more comfortable this season. Sometimes last year it seemed like he would rather be somewhere else.

I would take lessons from him, but I sort of get the feeling that a non-famous hacker is not his student of choice...

Volvo Intorqueo

He seems OK to me. He has a bit of an odd tempo to him. Almost like a pause in conversation before he replies. Overall, he seems more comfortable this season. Sometimes last year it seemed like he would rather be somewhere else.

I would take lessons from him, but I sort of get the feeling that a non-famous hacker is not his student of choice...

Well....I guess no one else wants to chime in...so I'll go ahead and give my take.

I watched all last year, watched him on the Golf Channel show about the school he ran that was for academics and golf, and now watching him this new season. I'll preface this with, of course all I've got to go on is the TV shows, and a lot can come down to editing, and it could or could not be the real him. However, I don't know what it is, but there's something about him that seems to rub me the wrong way. To me, he comes off a bit big-headed and egotistical. It's almost like he's got a "big time" attitude...like he thinks he's just a little bit better than everyone else. Again, I could be wrong, but that's how he comes across to me from what I've seen.

• SPY VIP

Well....I guess no one else wants to chime in...so I'll go ahead and give my take.

I watched all last year, watched him on the Golf Channel show about the school he ran that was for academics and golf, and now watching him this new season. I'll preface this with, of course all I've got to go on is the TV shows, and a lot can come down to editing, and it could or could not be the real him. However, I don't know what it is, but there's something about him that seems to rub me the wrong way. To me, he comes off a bit big-headed and egotistical. It's almost like he's got a "big time" attitude...like he thinks he's just a little bit better than everyone else. Again, I could be wrong, but that's how he comes across to me from what I've seen.

I feel this too. Almost like he doesn't want to be on the show even. The one episode with the fan letter last season eats at this a little. His emotion seemed very genuine to me.

Til I meet him, I'll assume editing. :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

Don't forget Golf in America. Another great show. I especially liked the episode about the guys who sleep in the parking lot every weekend and have no social life (e.g. women) so they can play Torrey Pines.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, but wouldn't you have to have a big ego and a ton of bravado to stand toe to toe with the tour pros that he's trying to teach all day (Tiger especially).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, at one point during last season I thought it might be interesting to see Hank teach an average run-of-the-mill golfer. But now, two episodes into this season, I think that would be a disaster. I don't think Hank would have the patience for mediocrity. If you're not the best at something then he probably thinks you don't have the mental makeup and drive to be good and he's not interested.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

That would be a great Golf Channel Contest, "Who Want's to be Hank Haney's next project" and pick from the watchers.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Count me out of that one....

• SPY VIP

That would be a great Golf Channel Contest, "Who Want's to be Hank Haney's next project" and pick from the watchers.

I would enter for the trip to The Oven. Hank would tire of my swing in a hurry though, I imagine.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived