TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Haney Project

Addicted2Golf

That would be a great Golf Channel Contest, "Who Want's to be Hank Haney's next project" and pick from the watchers.

I'd sign up for that... I could use any help I can get...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a great Golf Channel Contest, "Who Want's to be Hank Haney's next project" and pick from the watchers.

That would really be awesome, except anyone can already go to his academy, although I guess this would get you some 1on1 time, and TV time, hahaha.

That would really be awesome, except anyone can already go to his academy, although I guess this would get you some 1on1 time, and TV time, hahaha.

Don't count on that....I bet Hank isn't teaching many of us everyday golfers.

That would be a cool prize to win, but probably not a ratings bonanza.

"Watch Joe Six-Pack hack and slice for 12 weeks while Hank Haney shakes his head and mutters."

I could just as easily videotape my own lessons.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

But I would much rather the producers pay my way then having to pay for it myself...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Don't count on that....I bet Hank isn't teaching many of us everyday golfers.

I'm pretty sure you can get brief lessons from him, but they charge even more through the roof than normal.

The most expensive guy at the Lewisville, TX location is $250/hour and the cheapest is $75/hour. I can't confirm it, but I have heard Hank runs the $400/hour range.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

• SPY VIP

The most expensive guy at the Lewisville, TX location is $250/hour and the cheapest is $75/hour. I can't confirm it, but I have heard Hank runs the $400/hour range.

Here are some more pages of Haney school info. http://www.hankhaney.com/Instruction/tabid/87/Default.aspx

Seems that it is either $125/$250 per hour. No mention of Hank. I think the $400 may be low.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That number is about 2 years old so you are probably right on that.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

Good luck getting a time with Haney -- at any rate.

Those guys (all the top teachers) charge so much as a way to weed down the number of people making demands on their time. Those guys no where their bread is buttered...and that's the tour boys that get their name out there so they can then sell instruction tapes, DVD's, books, market their underling teachers, and market their name on other people's products.

That's why Tiger never wanted to pay Butch Harmon very much. Tiger always thought Harmon was making enough off the association to Tiger.

Good luck getting a time with Haney -- at any rate.

Those guys (all the top teachers) charge so much as a way to weed down the number of people making demands on their time. Those guys no where their bread is buttered...and that's the tour boys that get their name out there so they can then sell instruction tapes, DVD's, books, market their underling teachers, and market their name on other people's products.

That's why Tiger never wanted to pay Butch Harmon very much. Tiger always thought Harmon was making enough off the association to Tiger.

I am sure getting Hank is tough, but the price sheet that they hand out has him on it. It doesn't have a price and says inquire for more info about a session with Hank.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

I am sure getting Hank is tough, but the price sheet that they hand out has him on it. It doesn't have a price and says inquire for more info about a session with Hank.

That's my point -- it's another way to screen out us everyday players that he's got no interest in dealing with. I bet they also have the attitude of "if you gotta ask how much....".

• SPY VIP

That $400 number sounds low. I believe I read somewhere that a weekend with Leadbetter costs around $10,000. I'd have to believe that Haney is much closer to that.

Are you saying 10G per hour with Leadbetter. That seems impossible. Really need a source for that.

If he is making that much money, that would explain the lag in getting his Wii trainer to market.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That's my point -- it's another way to screen out us everyday players that he's got no interest in dealing with. I bet they also have the attitude of "if you gotta ask how much....".

I'd imagine the "inquire for more info" note is more about his availability than anything else. The rate is assumed. :unsure:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

That $400 number sounds low. I believe I read somewhere that a weekend with Leadbetter costs around $10,000. I'd have to believe that Haney is much closer to that.

Yeah, I agree with Sactown. No way that Haney or any instructor is making that much per hour. Besides, these guys aren't making their money on teaching. Its all the shows, endorsements, products, speaking engagements, etc.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Gotta read more carefully, guys. What I said I remembered reading was 10K for the weekend. I'm sure that included lodging, food, golf, and the instruction at his academy. It's still a mind boggling number, but not as much so.

I don't know when this is from, but here's a list of some of the top instructors:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2007-08/50greatestteachers_intro

1. Butch Harmon

2. David Leadbetter

3. Hank Haney

4. Jim McLean

5. Jim Flick

6. Chuck Cook

7. Jim Hardy

8. Rick Smith

Age: 49 / Perrysburgh, Ohio / $2,000, two hours / 221 votes

9. Stan Utley

Age: 45 / Scottsdale, Ariz. / $1,500 per session / 191 votes

10. Mike Bender

I don't know when this is from, but here's a list of some of the top instructors:

1. Butch Harmon

2. David Leadbetter

3. Hank Haney

4. Jim McLean

5. Jim Flick

6. Chuck Cook

7. Jim Hardy

8. Rick Smith

9. Stan Utley

10. Mike Bender

Ouch, a little more than I would be willing to spend!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't remember seeing this in the thread so I'll throw it out here. Did anyone catch what Hank told Ray walking down the fairway in the last episode?

The most important thing in golf...is distance.
\

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks that is ridiculous, am I?

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

I will take middle of the fairway every time!

Although, I think for Ray, he was saying that's the most important thing "He" needed to improve on.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I don't remember seeing this in the thread so I'll throw it out here. Did anyone catch what Hank told Ray walking down the fairway in the last episode?

\

No, you are not. It might be that Hank meant this only for Ray, like John said, and I hope that's the case. The problem is, regardless of what Hank said or meant, 95% of golfers would agree with that sentiment. Almost every time I go to the range with my dad, he's got a new scheme to hit it farther. I try to suggest that things like "not 3 putting" and "hitting the green with wegdes" might do more to improve his score, but ego is a powerful thing.

\

There is a school of thought that you should teach someone to hit a ball as far as they can first, then try to make them more accurate. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, that's just what I've heard.

1. Butch Harmon

2. David Leadbetter

3. Hank Haney

4. Jim McLean

5. Jim Flick

6. Chuck Cook

7. Jim Hardy

8. Rick Smith

9. Stan Utley

10. Mike Bender

The crazy thing about this list is that except for a few of these guys, you could book a lesson with one of the top golf instructors in the WORLD for less than an hour with a fair divorce attorney. What does that tell you???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I don't know about you guys but I lose a little confidence in Haney every episode. According to Brian (the guy from The Office, forget his real name) he was hitting it terribly after the round.

I don't know about you guys but I lose a little confidence in Haney every episode. According to Brian (the guy from The Office, forget his real name) he was hitting it terribly after the round.

I've taken a couple of lessons from his facility near me. The reason Brian was having issues is because they change everything about your swing. You will do very little the same as you did before...at least that's what they tried to do to me. I am built a lot like Brian and the swing they were trying to get me to do was much more difficult and was real hard on my back. Add to that that they don't really tell you what you are doing, they just move the club while keeping you in your stance saying, "Feel that? That's what you want. Just do that."

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

I've taken a couple of lessons from his facility near me. The reason Brian was having issues is because they change everything about your swing. You will do very little the same as you did before...at least that's what they tried to do to me. I am built a lot like Brian and the swing they were trying to get me to do was much more difficult and was real hard on my back. Add to that that they don't really tell you what you are doing, they just move the club while keeping you in your stance saying, "Feel that? That's what you want. Just do that."

When you took your lesson, did they ask you if you want to make over your swing or did they just do it? If it was the latter, that gives me a very poor impression. I think it's fine to do a 100% makeover if that's what the client wants, but many people just want a little tweak.

sounds like a nightmare lesson. I would try and find a teacher who wants to work WITH me, not against me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived