TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Haney Project

Addicted2Golf

When you took your lesson, did they ask you if you want to make over your swing or did they just do it? If it was the latter, that gives me a very poor impression. I think it's fine to do a 100% makeover if that's what the client wants, but many people just want a little tweak.

They just did it. Though I was new to the game, everyone I had talked to said I had a good overall swing and just needed to iron out a few things. I think I was just too nieve (or however you spell it) to say anything.

sounds like a nightmare lesson. I would try and find a teacher who wants to work WITH me, not against me.

I have done that. I fully expect to make a marked improvement quickly.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

They just did it. Though I was new to the game, everyone I had talked to said I had a good overall swing and just needed to iron out a few things. I think I was just too nieve (or however you spell it) to say anything.

I have had that same lesson. the instructor was almost reading from the program.

"well, you suck, so do these twenty things differently and we will just start from scratch." Maybe not a direct quote.

Three total instructors and I am still looking for the one that I mesh with.

kick but with the new guy you found!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It's really sad that instructors would treat a new player like their input/desires don't matter. I saw the same thing when my dad went back for a few lessons a couple years ago, the instructor was just a bulldozer: "Do this, fix this, this is all wrong." My dad was just going for a little tune up, not an overhaul.

I will say that I saw a really good lesson recently. My wife got a lesson at Top Golf and the pro there was very good and not at all condescending to her. The firs thing he asked was, "What do you want do accomplish?"

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Best advice I ever got was from my old Pro. He said that people teach and learn things in very different ways. If you are going to spend some $$ with a person to them teach you something, you had better be able to understand what they are saying, and they had better understand what you are wanting. If you can't understand the way Butch Harmon is trying to communicate to you, then the lesson is worthless.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

sounds like a nightmare lesson. I would try and find a teacher who wants to work WITH me, not against me.

I'm a feel golfer though. I struggle when an instructor tells me verbally what to do. I need to experience how the back swing is supposed to feel when I do it correctly in order to incorporate any change.

But I agree that every golfer is different and that is why everyone is saying that you need to find a teaching style that works for you.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I've taken a couple of lessons from his facility near me. The reason Brian was having issues is because they change everything about your swing. You will do very little the same as you did before...at least that's what they tried to do to me. I am built a lot like Brian and the swing they were trying to get me to do was much more difficult and was real hard on my back. Add to that that they don't really tell you what you are doing, they just move the club while keeping you in your stance saying, "Feel that? That's what you want. Just do that."

Did they ever show you a video? IMO, one of the best things that a teacher can do is take a video of your old swing and a video of the teacher showing you the positions that you are trying to achieve.

Did they ever show you a video? IMO, one of the best things that a teacher can do is take a video of your old swing and a video of the teacher showing you the positions that you are trying to achieve.

I agree, I love look at the progress of my swing over the last 3 years. It has helped me work on one thing at a time, instead of just 100% changing my swing in a day.

shamrock.jpg

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I agree, I love look at the progress of my swing over the last 3 years. It has helped me work on one thing at a time, instead of just 100% changing my swing in a day.

Yeah I have a whole folder on my computer of my golf swing and how it has changed. I am going to start a thread about this.

That just varies from golfer to golfer....just like swing theory varies from instructor to instructor. That's why you gotta take your time in finding an instructor and find on that has the theory you agree with and the type of instruction you want -- makeover or re-tool what you have. Then you gotta add the human component and find someone that you "gel" with personality-wise.

The first time I got to see video, and was supposed to get a copy of the lesson when it was over. But he said my swing was in such poor shape he didn't want me looking at it because I couldn't learn anything from it.

The second time I just beat balls and walked away with a stiff and sore back.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

The first time I got to see video, and was supposed to get a copy of the lesson when it was over. But he said my swing was in such poor shape he didn't want me looking at it because I couldn't learn anything from it.

Both of those are indicators of a bad teacher.

• SPY VIP

And how much did that "help" cost? Geesh

Volvo Intorqueo

And how much did that "help" cost? Geesh

The first time it was $75 and the second time was $100.

In my area, those prices aren't too bad, but for what I got it was way too much. Won't make the mistake a third time.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

We have a bunch of instructors who will do $40/ 30 min with discount for multiples.

Hoping I can find someone I click with,

That's the big thing, you have to have someone who you can talk to easily and who doesn't talk down to you.

• SPY VIP

I've noticed that too....doesn't seem to take him long to work Tiger's name into conversations.

I forgive him that. If I helped Nolan Ryan pitch better I would say Nolan Ryan a lot.

Substitute Tim Lincecum for younger viewers. ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

I have not enjoyed this season as much so far. I'm a big Ray Romano fan for his TV work, but he isn't as engaging as Barkley was. They would have been better off with Murray or perhaps Timberlake for the younger set.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have not enjoyed this season as much so far. I'm a big Ray Romano fan for his TV work, but he isn't as engaging as Barkley was. They would have been better off with Murray or perhaps Timberlake for the younger set.

I would definitely be watching if it were Bill Murray, Ray does nothing for me. I believe Justin Timberlake works with Butch Harmon, IIRC.

• SPY VIP

What if Hank took a celebrity who has never played before and got them course ready? Would you watch?

Who would you want him to choose? Seth McFarland?

Volvo Intorqueo

What if Hank took a celebrity who has never played before and got them course ready? Would you watch?

Jessica Alba

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Jessica Alba

She does really need to pick up the game. Ms. Gulbis could help with outfits.

Ratings bonanza for sure.

I offer my governator Arnold to the show.

Volvo Intorqueo

This is a great idea because they could pick someone with personality and forget about the golfing ability. I'll definitely +1 Jessica Alba, though I think she plays some already. I also wouldn't change the channel on: Scarlett Johansen, Jennifer Garner, Minka Kelly...

She does really need to pick up the game. Ms. Gulbis could help with outfits.

Ratings bonanza for sure.

I offer my governator Arnold to the show.

That would be cool, I bet he could hit it a long way.

Scarlett Johansen, Jennifer Garner, Minka Kelly...

Scarlett Johansen - BIG Thumbs up!

Jennifer Garner - Disqualified in my book due to her relationship with Ben Affleck

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived