TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Hat Sweat Stains

fixyurdivot

Jeebus, I just purchased this hat and have only worn it a few times.  Clearly my sweat glands are operating in tiptop shape.  My wife looked at it yesterday and said "do you actually go play golf or are you installing fence lines?" 😆.  I take pride in sweat stains on my everyday work and fishing hats, but this isn't cool on golf hats.  Anyone using one of those plastic frames that support the hat shape during washing?  I see they make "sweat band liners" and even sell a spray product called "Hat Saver"... hmmm, trade your stain problems for a rash?

I see numerous homemade wash solutions involving hair shampoo or laundry detergent, baking soda, hat frame in the dishwasher, etc.  What is your favorite recipe to refurbish your golf hats?

1427746375_hatsweat.jpg.1a9636af28b764f3f651c450c5075b11.jpg

image.png.32f15989503f40d7b7fb57bf17518aa7.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I just washed one of mine in the kitchen sink. I just use some mild liquid soap, wet the area needing a scrub, then I work-in the soap with my hands, or a brush. Once finished, I rinse-out the soap, then either stuff the hat with a towel to hold the shape while it dries, or just leave it outside on a table if the hat has some structure.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I drop my hats in lukewarm water that has OxiClean dissolved in it. I let them sit for at least an hour, usually 2+. I then scrub them gently with a toothbrush, rinse them with cold water, and let them dry with cans inside of them to keep the shape. Works great, I have some hats that are 4-5 years old and still look great after multiple washings.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

my wife sticks them in an Oxi solution for a day or two. They come out clean without any scrubbing. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Jeebus, I just purchased this hat and have only worn it a few times.  Clearly my sweat glands are operating in tiptop shape.  My wife looked at it yesterday and said "do you actually go play golf or are you installing fence lines?" 😆.  I take pride in sweat stains on my everyday work and fishing hats, but this isn't cool on golf hats.  Anyone using one of those plastic frames that support the hat shape during washing?  I see they make "sweat band liners" and even sell a spray product called "Hat Saver"... hmmm, trade your stain problems for a rash?

I see numerous homemade wash solutions involving hair shampoo or laundry detergent, baking soda, hat frame in the dishwasher, etc.  What is your favorite recipe to refurbish your golf hats?

1427746375_hatsweat.jpg.1a9636af28b764f3f651c450c5075b11.jpg

image.png.32f15989503f40d7b7fb57bf17518aa7.png

I just throw mine in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and then let them air dry.  I work in a factory where we're required to wear baseball caps, so Im washing caps about once a week and I find that it doesnt deform any of my hats.

In the past, before we had such a nice washing machine, I used to soak my hats in a plastic tub with a bit of laundry detergent and then would just rinse them off.  That works well too.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 7/10/2021 at 7:57 PM, ZenGolfer said:

I just throw mine in the washing machine on the gentle cycle and then let them air dry.  I work in a factory where we're required to wear baseball caps, so Im washing caps about once a week and I find that it doesnt deform any of my hats.

In the past, before we had such a nice washing machine, I used to soak my hats in a plastic tub with a bit of laundry detergent and then would just rinse them off.  That works well too.

This ^^^ I've never had an issue doing this with any of the hats I own (2 Titleist, 1 Ping, 1 MGS, 1 Reebok, and a couple misc. hats from local places).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

The salt and ammonia from sweat will discolor the fabric, it's unavoidable.  Even if soaking the cap right after the round will only prolong the process of showing the battle scar.

I used to change golf caps every season, owned more than a dozen at onetime.  I still keep my favorite golf cap.  Also switching to more mutual color which will not show the stain as the deeper, more vivid colors.

Cotton will always soak up the sweat, but it is the most comfortable fabric for me to wear.  Synthetic blend will last longer, that's my second choice.

Clean the cap immediately after the round, If one wish to avoid the invadable sweat band from showing up prematurely. 

Remembering long ago, some caps advertising the sweat proof material, didn't quite like the feel of it.  Perhaps the technology had improved the texture of the nylon spun material.  I mean, if they could make T shirt softer than the 100% cotton from two recycled plastic water bottles, why not ?  Unless the manufacturers expecting us to purchase new caps every season ?

+1 to the Oxiclean stuff. I use it mostly to get rid of stains on white hats, since bleach will discolor the other parts as well.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 months later...

I typically toss my hat in the sink and drench it for a few minutes after each round.  It seems to be giving the hats a longer shelf life 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• 3 months later...

I found a spray from www.hatestains.com that works pretty well on most hats.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter