Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

If I was fitted for driver, should I assume the 3 and 5 wood with the same shaft family will fit my swing?

afewgrooveslow

Hey Everyone,

For the last 6 or 7 years I've just basically bought drivers and hoped I would hit them well. Usually just paying attention to how it felt and what the price was. I recently went and got fitted for a driver, due to my cost restraints I got fitted for the "non-upcharge" shaft selections. They put me through about 5 different drivers and several different shafts, looking at launch angle, spin rate, and clubhead speed. Chose the Callaway Mavrik with the Evenflow Riptide Stiff shaft.

Long story short, I've gained about 30 yards (Avg 280yd) and some forgiveness. It's a 9 degree model. Previous driver was a 9.5degree that I averaged about 250 average.

My 3 wood(230yd) is a 15 degree Bridgestone JGR and my 5 wood(215yd) is the same in 18 degree.( I hit both very well)

The reason I'm asking is, since I've been fitted, the distance between my driver and 3 wood is about 50 yards. Should I go through the same fitting process for the 3 wood and 5 wood, or will I see similar results if I go buy the Mavrik 3 wood and 5 wood with the Evenflow shafts?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, afewgrooveslow said:

Hey Everyone,

For the last 6 or 7 years I've just basically bought drivers and hoped I would hit them well. Usually just paying attention to how it felt and what the price was. I recently went and got fitted for a driver, due to my cost restraints I got fitted for the "non-upcharge" shaft selections. They put me through about 5 different drivers and several different shafts, looking at launch angle, spin rate, and clubhead speed. Chose the Callaway Mavrik with the Evenflow Riptide Stiff shaft.

Long story short, I've gained about 30 yards (Avg 280yd) and some forgiveness. It's a 9 degree model. Previous driver was a 9.5degree that I averaged about 250 average.

My 3 wood(230yd) is a 15 degree Bridgestone JGR and my 5 wood(215yd) is the same in 18 degree.( I hit both very well)

The reason I'm asking is, since I've been fitted, the distance between my driver and 3 wood is about 50 yards. Should I go through the same fitting process for the 3 wood and 5 wood, or will I see similar results if I go buy the Mavrik 3 wood and 5 wood with the Evenflow shafts?

Thanks

First off welcome to the forums and good question. The answer is that the fitting is really the best way to go. Just like any other club how you deliver a three wood and a driver is different and could lead to a better brand being a better fit. Say you spin your driver too much and your three wood not enough. A Mavrik might work for the driver if it reduces that spin, but if the woods are also low spin, then this is a problem so maybe something that spins more will help. Even though we call them all woods we get to tee up the driver, but the 3 and 5 will likely want to to hit off the tee and the ground so many factors to consider. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, afewgrooveslow said:

@ejgaudette has you covered so I’ll go a slightly different route in the thought process.

do you use the 3w off the tee or is it just off the deck?

Ill save the others as they are more of a follow up to the answer to this question.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

First off welcome to the forums and good question. The answer is that the fitting is really the best way to go. Just like any other club how you deliver a three wood and a driver is different and could lead to a better brand being a better fit. Say you spin your driver too much and your three wood not enough. A Mavrik might work for the driver if it reduces that spin, but if the woods are also low spin, then this is a problem so maybe something that spins more will help. Even though we call them all woods we get to tee up the driver, but the 3 and 5 will likely want to to hit off the tee and the ground so many factors to consider. 

Thanks for the welcome, and the answer 🙂. Wouldn't hurt to go swing them all just to see anyways.

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

@ejgaudette has you covered so I’ll go a slightly different route in the thought process.

do you use the 3w off the tee or is it just off the deck?

Ill save the others as they are more of a follow up to the answer to this question.

I would say both. There's a few different scenarios, Dog-Leg Par 4's or 5's I'd hit it off the tee. Then off the deck on my second shot on a par 3. Basically any hole where driver would get me into more trouble than it's worth. 

Ideally the only time I would be hitting it off the deck would be on the approach to longer par 5's. So mainly for the tee box. 

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, afewgrooveslow said:

Thanks for the welcome, and the answer 🙂. Wouldn't hurt to go swing them all just to see anyways.

I would say both. There's a few different scenarios, Dog-Leg Par 4's or 5's I'd hit it off the tee. Then off the deck on my second shot on a par 3. Basically any hole where driver would get me into more trouble than it's worth. 

Ideally the only time I would be hitting it off the deck would be on the approach to longer par 5's. So mainly for the tee box. 

Thanks!

Off the deck I wouldn’t worry about the gap between it and driver if it’s meeting the distance you need/want for these type of shots.

Assuming your referenced distances for driver and 3w are off the tee for both and that they are total distance and not carry? 

total distance is going to vary for both based on contact, course conditions, weather and so on so that’s hard to predict consistently.

An average of 50 yards can appear to be significant but if as a tee option you are using the 3w to play to a number and the courses you currently play the 230 helps you achieve that then trying to find a 3w that gives you more distance doesn’t make sense to an extent. 

Definitely go thru the fitting process for the woods like the driver. The swings used for driver and fw will be different due to the angle of attack being up hopefully for driver and slightly down for 3w including off the tee box. What setup you need in driver may not carry over to fw. Also with diferente fw models even in the mavrik line but also with the epic line from callaway as well as all the other brands out there guessing which one would give you what you consider a significant increase in distance narrowing to the driver would be just a guess and may or may not actually achieve it. Also it may not be a 15* fw that does it but a 13* or the 15* lofted down. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Welcome to the forum!  You've got the perfect excuse (like we need one) to go try a few different clubs / shafts for a fun afternoon or two and probably come out of it with a better performing club than you now have.  The ultimate win / win scenario!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Go to a professional fitter and get fitted by the person who will make your clubs.  There is absolutely no one in a big box store or a sporting goods store that can do justice for what you want.  Matching shaft manufacturers can work with the set you are wanting, except too many shaft makers lack the total quality control to create a set that will fit your game.  Ask yourself why those who rely on their clubs to make a living quite often have different shafts for distance clubs in the bag.  An iron set 3-9 can often be matched for a swing while the wedges have a different weight and flex.  

Great question.  I went to Club Champions and the Driver shaft was different from my Fairway Woods.  The heads were the same model, but the set-up was a little different to maximize shots off the deck.  I do not use my 3 Fairway off the tee very often, but need the extra distance on longer par 5s.

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

• 3 weeks later...

I had the G410 Driver and 3 Wood with the Mitsubishi Tensei Orange and I eventually gave up on the Driver with the Tensei, but the 3 Wood is going strong. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I would generally say a slightly different profile may give better results in the fairway woods. Agree with others that it is best to get a fitting. 

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2