Forum Testing Update

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

To mark off the check list of requested items
Photos bug, all comment photos appear at top of the page- FIXED

Reactions (likes and such) for testers reviews - FIXED so please go like all their reviews!

Signatures - Will show for testers in review at the moment - Partial FIX (honest question do we need them in the actual comment section)

Mentions bug (brings to the bottom of review page not where mention or quote is) - Tested and FIXED

Recent Content - FIXED 

Review Tab/Signup Comment Tab - Completed

Testing Opportunities has now been replaced with Tests & Reviews
Screenshot 2021-07-22 21.16.01.png

37 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Honestly I had no idea this testing had started and you guys received the equipment because the thread doesn’t appear in my feed. 

Hell when I tried to actively seek it out right now I went to two incorrect sub forums before I found it - in the Testing Opportunities sub forum. Not in Reviews. Not in Official Reviews. The discussion thread is the continuation of the signup thread in Testing Opportunities.

That’s a problem 

Same!  Honestly I kept checking the "Official Forum Member Reviews" section, but wasn't seeing a new thread for any of the testing.  I figured there were just shipping/back-order issues to where none of the testing has started yet.

• Like 8

Driver: Taylormade SIM2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

Just been able to go over all the comments and appreciate the feedback. It gives us a good idea of where the membership is at and where we can make adjustments to smooth over the transition to the new system. As with most changes I know it will take time, however we will also look at changing and adapting what we can to make it smoother, user friendly and as most posted more noticeable in the the main thread. 

Of course as updates come we will update this thread and any bigger changes will come along with an announcement bar to ensure that when you are arriving to the site you won't be shocked by any huge change or surprise. Hope this is okay and once again appreciate the feedback from everyone. 

As we work on some tweaks and take in feedback I would highly encourage members to use the follow feature for any and all tests you are interested in and relevant to you. It will not make it show up in recent content like streams, however will give you notifications and easy access to any of the content you may have missed while sleeping, at work or out on the course. 

• Like 7

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

18 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

OK hold up here. 

This is really disappointing.

"Thanks for your comments, sorry you all don't like the new system, we're gonna stick with it anyways" is what I'm getting from this. 

The whole point of a forum is to foster open discussion and get eyes on the content. I think we've all pointed out how this new system does anything but that. We shouldn't have to use specific features that we need to go customize on our own just to follow content that used to be easily found and available in the main forum.

I get it - MGS owns the site, and the owners and mods do what they feel is best to run the site most effectively. As a reader and former tester, I cannot disagree more with this new setup. Announcement bars at the top do nothing to actually put the content in places that can get the most traffic. And like @PMookie pointed out, mobile readers have it even worse. It's bad enough the site doesn't work with Tapatalk anymore so I don't get push notifications on forum content, it's getting more difficult to follow content here. This new testing/review setup honestly feels to me like change for change's sake. 

This is not that at all and my apologies if it was taken as tough deal with it, as it certainly is not the case. The goal and end product is to enable this new feature within the existing forum to make it accessible for all. It very well may take a few more tweaks and we may end up having to modify some more procedures, however there again are a lot of benefits to this new system. 

I as a former tester know how important it is to be able to follow along and engage with the community with testing. That is a large reason why I have posted this in the first place is to get some knowledge out there and assist in clearing up some confusion within the community. Testing within this forum is a huge part and a huge driver in traffic and engagement of the forum and what gives it that unique feel. This is something that is not lost on me and is still what we want to achieve. 

My goal with this is to further help membership in any misunderstandings of this new system and to work with it to help adapt it to provide the features required or most used by the membership. I cannot say I have all the answers right now as I honestly do not, but am wanting to work with the community to make the appropriate adjustments to ensure we don't loose any of that feel which is so important to this site and its membership. 

• Like 7

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

I agree with most members and maybe because I am used to the old way but I haven't looked at one testing thread since it was changed, and that might be my fault bc I just scroll through see something that catches my interest and read through and post. 

Also its kind of ironic that the forum testing update thread is in the recent comments and not where the other test opportunity section ..

• Like 6

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

As a current tester I can see how the new set up with separate reviews and comments I think in time will be a nice set up. Again easier way to have the reviews front and center. I know this was mentioned but I will plug again, I use my phone a ton and I copied the activity feed built by @GolfSpy MPRand linked below. I made this my book mark and now all the comments to those testing threads show up with content from other threads. I made this my default bookmark now on my phone and computer and this switch has made it much easier. I voiced the same concerns over visibility when I started my test, but I think with just a few small tweaks to how we access the site it will get more visible to follow. 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/discover/158/ 

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

18 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

As a current tester I can see how the new set up with separate reviews and comments I think in time will be a nice set up. Again easier way to have the reviews front and center. I know this was mentioned but I will plug again, I use my phone a ton and I copied the activity feed built by @GolfSpy MPRand linked below. I made this my book mark and now all the comments to those testing threads show up with content from other threads. I made this my default bookmark now on my phone and computer and this switch has made it much easier. I voiced the same concerns over visibility when I started my test, but I think with just a few small tweaks to how we access the site it will get more visible to follow. 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/discover/158/ 

going in there I actually like the new set up with the reviews and comments just to me I go into the recent and the testing section is out of sight out of mind for me, I am going to customize my stream like they said to see how it goes

• Like 6

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The problem is 99% of MGS forum readers will NOT do this.

Yup. And that must be frustrating as a tester to not have your hard work seen and recognized. I'd have to think the OEMs who are providing equipment for all the reviews and tests want as much traction as possible on these types of threads as well. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

The problem is 99% of MGS forum readers will NOT do this.

Totally agree and maybe there is a solution for the long term, just a solution that does work for now.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I think the biggest problem is that it's not at all intuitive.  It's like a secret hidden menu to find testing applications and reviews.  

Personally when I come to the forum, which whether I post or not is pretty much daily, I click the new content in the past 7 days and start scrolling through.  Reviews and application don't show up here.

I just tried going old school and pretending I was a new member.  Scrolling through the menu's I see TESTERS WANTED, but nope, that's not actually where to apply.  I see Official Forum Member Reviews, but nope, that's not actually where they are at.

Can you guys see where all the confusion is coming in?  Testing is such a huge part of this site and it's not at all intuitive on where to find the content.  I get it, I did that job and there are many parts of it that are manual and suck.  But if the new system is going to stick around there needs to be links from the main forum menu page that make it much easier to find.  Not hidden behind a drop down menu and not buried after 17 pages of tester applications.  Make it clean, make it front and center and make it easy to find.

I know it's a new system and we will be patient, and this is just my .02 on how to make a few changes to make it easier for the membership to find the content.  Keep up the great work guys and good luck!

Amen.

Right now the Forums Testing stuff feels like The Homer Car.  Tons of bells and whistles, but so convoluted to the point where nobody wants it

That Disastrous Car Homer Simpson Designed Was Actually Ahead of Its Time |  WIRED

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

17 hours ago, jlukes said:

Very well said and what I was trying to get at. The forum reviews just feel like they becoming more article-like and less discussion thread based.

I know there will be a tab for comments and discussion, but if they aren’t showing up in the unread section of someone’s feed without the person having to jump through hoops to add it to their custom feed then there is no doubt that there will be far less eyes on the review and a drop off in back and forth discussion throughout the testing process 

Agreed, as someone who’s tested and reviewed a few things I feel like once the reviews go up they don’t get much traction. At least for myself I’ve never gotten many follow up questions after I post my final review. 

• Like 9

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Now that everyone has vocalized their opinions, how about giving the mods a chance and some time to tweak the system? There should be a middle ground that allows the new, structured system to be shown by default with all the other Unread Content (which is also how I read the forum) without having to create a new stream?

• Like 6

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Agreed, as someone who’s tested and reviewed a few things I feel like once the reviews go up they don’t get much traction. At least for myself I’ve never gotten many follow up questions after I post my final review. 

IMO by time the review goes up the stuff people are interested in has been answered in the questions posed during testing. There’s not much to gain from the final review. Also by time testing starts and especially by time it ends people that may have been interested in whatever club or ball is being tested have taken the time to hit it or play it themselves.

Outside of gadgets like training aids, range finders and such that aren’t available to demo theres nothing a review is or isn’t going to tell someone that’s followed the thread or went to demo days. Now if the equipment testing was done before it appeared in stores then there’s possibly the chance some will be interested in the final feedback to help base a decision on.

Not to mention for me when I read some of the final reviews and see some of the reasons people knock points off on a review I stop reading the rest of that persons review. 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd like to thank @GolfSpy_APH for putting this thread up. He only came on to the moderator team after the changes were made, and seems to be carrying the load.

6 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I think the biggest problem is that it's not at all intuitive.  It's like a secret hidden menu to find testing applications and reviews.  

Personally when I come to the forum, which whether I post or not is pretty much daily, I click the new content in the past 7 days and start scrolling through.  Reviews and application don't show up here.

I just tried going old school and pretending I was a new member.  Scrolling through the menu's I see TESTERS WANTED, but nope, that's not actually where to apply.  I see Official Forum Member Reviews, but nope, that's not actually where they are at.

Can you guys see where all the confusion is coming in?  Testing is such a huge part of this site and it's not at all intuitive on where to find the content.  I get it, I did that job and there are many parts of it that are manual and suck.  But if the new system is going to stick around there needs to be links from the main forum menu page that make it much easier to find.  Not hidden behind a drop down menu and not buried after 17 pages of tester applications.  Make it clean, make it front and center and make it easy to find.

I know it's a new system and we will be patient, and this is just my .02 on how to make a few changes to make it easier for the membership to find the content.  Keep up the great work guys and good luck!

Absolutely agree about how unintuitive it is. Over the last 10 years I've had to choose around $3 million of X-ray equipment, the choices have nearly always come down to how intuitive the interfaces are. If smart engaged people can't find things, how can you expect anyone else to?

It's disappointing that most of the issues that have been raised here have been raised with the mod team earlier but things have remained as they are until now. Perhaps some input here from @GolfSpy_THV or @GolfSpy_X would be good. If the forum understands the reasons for the change it would go a long way to getting everyone going in the same direction.

• Like 7

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy