Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kids Clubs

Brian A

So I need help, my friends 7 year old wants to get in to golf. Since my friend doesn’t really play he’s asked me to help him. The kid doesn’t have any clubs at all, so I’m wondering how bad of an idea is it to let him use my old (men’s clubs) before I tell my friend to buy him a set? Or is there any inexpensive set that anyone recommends? Or anything else for kids we should look at?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Check Facebook Marketplace for a kids set, odds are there will be more than a few there you can check out and potentially pick up or recommend to your friend. You don't want to hand a 7yo a men's set of clubs, not even the short irons/wedges. Find something in their age/height bracket that's designed to give them as much help possible with the heads, weighting, and shafts. 

I started my son out on a Top Flite set when he was 8 or 9, moved him to the Cobra Rickie Jr set at 12 when he grew, then passed him my graphite shafted D200 irons at 14 when he was tall/strong enough to handle them. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, Brian A said:

So I need help, my friends 7 year old wants to get in to golf. Since my friend doesn’t really play he’s asked me to help him. The kid doesn’t have any clubs at all, so I’m wondering how bad of an idea is it to let him use my old (men’s clubs) before I tell my friend to buy him a set? Or is there any inexpensive set that anyone recommends? Or anything else for kids we should look at?

Awful idea for kids to use old men’s sets. Especially at that age. It will limit their swing speed and cause extremely poor mechanics. 

I cannot recommend US Kids clubs enough. Built for kids of all different ages and sizes 

At that age I'd start with a very cheap/basic kids set, like the Wilson Juniors Ultra set (around $150).  Who knows if the kid will even want to stick with it.  That's what I did with my son and after 6 months to a year when he decided he liked the game I moved up to US Kids.  He spent a few years in different size US Kids sets, then moved to Flynn-Golf (which I think is a step up from US Kids), then onto adult clubs.  He's now 14 in a set of full sized men's clubs and is a low single digit index who shot 74 in his last tournament. So I don't believe starting with the cheap Wilson set hurt him or somehow kept him from playing/progressing.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated! That’s what I was afraid of using my old set. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

My daughter is almost 7 years old and she's on her 3rd set of US Kids Golf. Kids can barely keep up with the weight and length of a child's set, let alone with men's heavier clubs. 

If you want the kid to have fun and keep the interest alive, strongly suggest to get a set that matches his physique.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

As noted and stated above it is generally considered a terrible idea to use cut down old clubs for kids due to weight & flex issues.

I am in agreement that generally US Kids Clubs are usually one of the top sets recommended. 

Recall Tony C. also wrote an article about Callaway stepping up their game for kids and this article:

https://mygolfspy.com/kids-golf-clubs/

As a separate issue, one of the interesting discussions I've seen is many instructors recommend forgiving cavity backs for kids whereas Tiger stated he wants his son playing blades (Son was using TM P7MCs). Kinda same discussion that us adults have🙃

GK

Driver: Rogue 9.0

3W: X-hot 15.0

Hybrid: #3 TM Rescue

Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW Nippon Modus3

Wedges: Vokey 52F, 56 & 60 M grind. KBS

Putter: SC Newport Select 34 inches.

Using Arccos.

Under NO circumstances would I burn a child with an adult set of tools.  A ten gauge shotgun for learning to shoot would do potential damage to the user.  A kids size bike to learn to ride rather than a 26 inch racer.  Think about it.

I third (or fourth, or whatever it is in this thread) the US Kids golf recommendation. My son has been playing their UL series driver now for 2+ seasons with very good success.

I will always throw in a recommendation here for Diamond Tour golf's junior components: https://www.diamondtour.com/golf-components/junior-components.html

Diamond Tour is a sister company to Sub70. They also sell their clubs pre-assembled. You'd be hard pressed to beat the price, and I can absolutely vouch for both quality and suitability for young junior golfers. My 8-year-old plays at a very competent level, and these clubs are very well suited for his game.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Brian A,

Go to US Kids website, click products, click ultralight, click shop ultralight, click height on left-hand side of page, then look at your options.

Do not need a full set (wood, putter, and 2 - 4 irons).  Learn what you can, then go to ebay, facebook marketplace, etc and get a set.

If the kid loves it, then you can buy new later.  If you take care of them they are very easy to sell on those sites above so you can use

that money toward the new ones.

Good Luck and thanks for helping your friend out!

Todd from TN

Driver - Ping G30 SF Tec

3W - Titleist 913 Fd

5W - Son stole it

Titleist 4 - P (AP1/AP2 712)

Wedges - Titleist SM4 52 & 58

Putter - Spalding HBA

Agree with others that kids should play with kids clubs.  Shaft flexes, length, etc. all designed for the golfer of that age is best.  Success is important with all sports.  Adults can have trouble playing adult clubs, much less kids.  My wife was using a boxed set of Target Adams clubs to start vs using an extra set of mine.  Recently we purchased her the Ping GLe2 and we can both see the difference.  Start the kid on properly sized clubs and when they can play well enough to get around an Executive Course, look at a better set.

Craig's List and others have lots of kids sets.

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

As everyone else has said, don't cut down your adult clubs for a 7 year old. Young teen, maybe, but not a very young kid. The heads are simply too heavy and will deter the development of a good swing. The kids clubs have much lighter heads. I started my granddaughter on the inexpensive Top Flite set that's been mentioned. I think it was about $120 at Dicks. You can probably find a used one on FB Marketplace or eBay for $50 or so. After a year, my granddaughter had grown 5 inches and is demonstrating a love for the game, so I just made an investment in some very nice used Callaway XJ junior clubs. I put together the set piecemeal because I couldn't find a complete set in her size. They weren't all the same size so I re-shafted most of them to fit her perfectly, and kept the longer shafts to put back in down the road when she grows some more. 

6 hours ago, Brian A said:

Go to Callawaygolfpreowned.com and see what kid’s/ jr clubs they might haves available. Also try Taylormadepreowned.com. 

My kids went through the US Kids clubs until they got old/ tall enough to get into the Top Flight sets for teens. No problems with any of those. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:27 PM, progk1 said:

As noted and stated above it is generally considered a terrible idea to use cut down old clubs for kids due to weight & flex issues.

I am in agreement that generally US Kids Clubs are usually one of the top sets recommended. 

Recall Tony C. also wrote an article about Callaway stepping up their game for kids and this article:

https://mygolfspy.com/kids-golf-clubs/

As a separate issue, one of the interesting discussions I've seen is many instructors recommend forgiving cavity backs for kids whereas Tiger stated he wants his son playing blades (Son was using TM P7MCs). Kinda same discussion that us adults have🙃

GK

#6 on that list is Golphin Kids.  I bought my 6 year old daughter a set of US Kids Clubs a while back based on age and height, but they were too heavy for her.  I bought her a set of the Golphin Kids clubs and she loves them.  I take her out on a mid-length course and she'll ride in the cart with me, chip from about 10 yards out, and then putt out each hole on her own.  Doesn't even get in my way.  She hits driver and the 7i on the range and in our simulator, but she doesn't quite have the skill or interest to do so on the course yet.  If you're looking for a first set for kids, the light weight and large face of Golphin Kids clubs make them a pretty good choice.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread cause my son turned 5 and outgrew the US Kids 39" set

Thankfully, he is also right handed, so he can continue to use whatever his older sister leaves behind (so far, all US Kids UL sets)

But it got me thinking... there are other options with Callaway XJ Junior, TM Rory Junior, Ping ProdiG, Cleveleland Junior, etc...

The problem with these sets is, they kind of bunch 3 sizes of US Kids into 1 set. This is obviously cheaper, but you'll risk having the kid playing clubs that are too short/long for them.

Are they a feasible alternative to US Kids?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 10 months later...

Best options out there for kids as they get older as still US Kids, Flynn Alto, and Ping Prodi-G.  From everything we have gone through, Ping has the best woods, US Kids has a new advanced line that is really doing well, and we personally play Flynn.  Absolutely love them so far and so does my son who likes getting to pick the shaft color and grip color.  Helps bring some fun into it.

"Left shoulder down, clear the hips"