Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grip question!

Hey all, 

Just looking to see if any of you might have some advice.... 

I think I am gripping too tight on my clubs (insert jokes here lol), but I seem to have a bit of difficulty in finding a balance. The definite tendency is to choke the life out of the club... But when I actively try to adjust, it feels a little too loose and like I have zero control. Struggling to find the happy medium! 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to balance grip strength, or is it just a bunch of trial and error? Thanks! 

Witb--- cobra radspeed driver, 5w,5h,6-gw. Ping anser 4 putter. Cleveland cbx2 54 deg wedge. 

I do this more with putting to relax my grip, but could work on any shot.  After I set myself before I start the swing I relax my hands almost letting go of the clubs.  Then reapply grip pressure and swing.

Another option to try is maybe moving up to a midsize grip and see if the larger grip allows your hands to relax a little bit.  You could just try one club and see how it feels at first.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have that issue and as noted above moved to a mid-size grip.  Really made a difference for me.  Try it on a couple clubs and see if it works.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I also agree with larger grip suggestion.
My brother in law recently taught me how to re-grip my clubs at home and I switched grip size from standard to standard +3 wraps of tape, which has my grips in between standard and mid and they feel real nice. This really helped me to figure out the grip size that felt best for me with out having to pick a general size at the golf shop.

This article also helped me when I was picking new grips:

https://southamptongolfclub.com/standard-vs-midsize-golf-grip/

Interesting responses. I also have an issue of gripping too hard, it does seem weird to swing something so fast and not grip it to death. I usually pull the shots to the left when I do. I have looked at some YouTube videos that offer some tips, hold the club in the air in front of you, and make sure the club moves easily and not restricted, or they say 6/10 pressure. I have to constantly remind myself on the course and when practicing to stop gripping it hard. 

The idea of changing the thickness of the grip never crossed my mind. I might have a play around with that to see if that helps me too. Thanks everyone. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

I concur on the mid-size grip advice. I moved to mid-size a few years back and noticed my release was much better from a more relaxed grip.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Do what's comfortable. If it's comfortable and you're playing well don't worry about it. Sam Snead gripped it lightly, Palmer squeezed it tight. There's no right way just your way.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

10 hours ago, Stoods78 said:

Hey all, 

Just looking to see if any of you might have some advice.... 

I think I am gripping too tight on my clubs (insert jokes here lol), but I seem to have a bit of difficulty in finding a balance. The definite tendency is to choke the life out of the club... But when I actively try to adjust, it feels a little too loose and like I have zero control. Struggling to find the happy medium! 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to balance grip strength, or is it just a bunch of trial and error? Thanks! 

Use this video for how to grip and look at the 9:50 mark where they talk about how tight it should be. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 hours ago, Stoods78 said:

I think I am gripping too tight on my clubs

I also say try mid size grips. They are bigger, and provide more contact area with your hands.  Take this for what it is, but when I started playing, everyone showed and insisted on the interlocking pinky finger grip.  I could not get the feeling I was going to have the club fly out of my hands utilizing the interlocking pinky grip.  I was gripping too tightly, and just couldn't get the thought of "this club is going to go flying out of my hand" out of my head on almost every shot.

When I stopped doing this, the feeling of losing the club went away almost immediately.  Combined with mid sized grips, its now a non issue.

I'm sure you will figure it out.  Because we all know,  in general, the less you have to think about in golf the better you will be.  Do a little research, as you are doing, and you'll find the grip that makes it a "non issue" for you.  Good Luck!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Have you tried the less tapered grips? They claim to reduce grip tension, never tried them so I can't vouch for em, but maybe worth a look. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Another approach might be to look at trying out grips with different textures or patterns, or ones made from different materials.

As someone with small hands, I don't have the ability to go to a midsize grip. I was a death gripper for a long time until I switched to grips with more texture. Currently, I am using Lamkin Sonar Tours. More "traditional" velvet-style grips tend to feel slick in my hands, which encourages me to hold on too tightly.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I went to the less tapered grip as Headhunter suggested and that has helped me with grip pressure and reducing hand action in my swing.  I bought a 7 wood recently and put a jumbo version of my current midsize grip on it.  Hitting the club with that jumbo has me thinking about changing all the grips to that size.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.

3 hours ago, rbgntx said:

I went to the less tapered grip as Headhunter suggested and that has helped me with grip pressure and reducing hand action in my swing.  I bought a 7 wood recently and put a jumbo version of my current midsize grip on it.  Hitting the club with that jumbo has me thinking about changing all the grips to that size.

Headhammer, Headhunter........Germans.😉

forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-250x250.gif.a10e8c09df59d57b1b66bbde05e17cc9.gif

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

9 hours ago, Headhammer said:

Have you tried the less tapered grips? They claim to reduce grip tension, never tried them so I can't vouch for em, but maybe worth a look. 

I use them and they certainly help. I currently use MCC+4. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

One thing that others haven't mentioned is your glove. A new glove helps the grip stay stable in your hand so you aren't feeling like you have to clamp down on it. 

Also, I would check out Ben Hogan's five lessons book. There is a huge section on the grip, which gives a lot of great insights.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

On 7/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, hckymeyer said:

I do this more with putting to relax my grip, but could work on any shot.  After I set myself before I start the swing I relax my hands almost letting go of the clubs.  Then reapply grip pressure and swing.

Another option to try is maybe moving up to a midsize grip and see if the larger grip allows your hands to relax a little bit.  You could just try one club and see how it feels at first.

I moved to midsize plus4 GP's TV's and you are absolutely correct, it relaxed my grip big time.

Driver:  TM SIM2 Max

Woods:  3/5 TM SIM2 Max

Hybrid:  22 PXG

Irons:  5-PW 0311XF PXG

Wedges: 50/54/58 Vokey SM8 Black 

Putter:  Custom SC 009 35/330g

First, I'm assuming your grips are relatively new?  I know that I tend to grip the clubs tighter as my grips wear out and the rubber gets harder.  Swapping out for new grips usually helps with that.  Another thing that I found helps me maintain a lighter grip is moving to a softer tackier grip compared to harder or cord grips.  I changed from a NDMC to a CP2 Pro and found I have much more confidence with a lighter grip and being so soft discourages me from squeezing it tightly.