TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Cobra MIM Tour Review using Trackman Data (SS of 90mph w/ 7 iron)

vandyland

This is a bit of a cross-post from my search for a new set of irons on another thread but wanted to leave what I hope is useful information on the Cobra MIM Tour. Quickly, a bit about me, I am a 5-6 HDCP depending on how much I get to play and I am a recovering one lengther (I have the Cobra F9 One Lengths which were fun for a few years but I am missing the "precision" of shorter short irons so I am moving back to a traditional length set). Iron play is not a strength, I am an accurate driver of the golf ball, an above average wedge player, an average putter and an average to below average iron player based on strokes gained and GIRs with non-wedge in my hand. I spend a lot of time on strategy and managing my misses and I rarely give shots away from poor course management (Google Earth Pro is your friend). My main issue/miss is catching the ball on the toe and my attack angle can get a bit steep. With that out of the way, let me show you these clubs:

Note: I am VERY conflicted on these as I have had several sessions with them and in that time they have gone from either being the club to beat of all the clubs I have hit to being solidly in the middle of the pack. I tried my best to combine all my thoughts on it. Ultimately, my first impression was these were both softer and more forgiving than I had initially expected. I think a lot of golfers could play these. 

image.png.3407f2c29779e4397ba9fb5095489419.pngimage.png.1b6886ebadf7157a76157346bc7163e6.png

Customer Service (8.5/10): One thing I really like about Cobra is that they sell individual irons. As someone who plays several hybrids, this is helpful and if I ever wanted to combo them it is easy. They have a good amount of custom options and I have always enjoyed dealing with them. I haven't had many issues with them so I can't talk about issue resolution but have ordered clubs from them times and been happy with it. 

Looks/Aesthetics (7.8/10): Eh, these are not as offensive as some cobra irons I have seen AND played but still a bit busy for my taste. I do appreciate that they haven't put bright orange or yellow or green on these clubs. That is a step in the right direction. Granted, I play uglier irons currently with the F9s but for reference I would rate those as a like a 5/10 on looks. Sole is a bit wide for what I am trying to get into. The tungsten plug looks very super game improvement to me. 

Feel (8.7/10): Obviously a very subjective area but one that am I compelled to try to capture. Now, I have never played true one piece forged clubs. I have typically had two piece cast or multi-material clubs. The MIMs do a good job at having a softish feel. Having played a few one piece forged irons, they don't quite feel like that but the feel is solid and heavy and decidedly not clicky. These feel strong without being explosive and give pretty decent feedback on mishits (again not like you would have on a forged one piece iron). One thing I should note is I hit these before I started testing the Sub 70 639 CBs and, at the time, these Cobras were the best feeling irons I had ever hit. I liked them better than the JPX 919 Forged in a head to head contest and was coming from hitting the Forged TECs and these are much softer than that. I think, for their construction, they are about as soft as you can expect. You can locate a mishit pretty well so the feedback is good but because of the tech it isn't Great with a capital G but that also means you don't have the harsh feeling on a small mishit. 

Performance (8.5/10): This is strictly trackman numbers, see below table, strike quality is based on feel in the moment and AAA is best while A is decent contact. The loft on the 7 iron is 33* and I am playing with a Nippon Modus 120 (stiff) shaft:

image.png.271f3789b94853603a4134135db28108.png

image.png.28dbd609144b414d15e1fb379b28dbf5.png

Playability* (for me) (8.5/10): To be fair, I was holding the Cobra MIMs to a very high standard after loving their feel and hitting them several times at my coach's studio. What I hadn't noticed that I see in the above is that the spin can vary quite a bit (obviously due to strike somewhat) and cause a slight bit of flier possibility. On dispersion, the carry range was larger than I expected. It is worth noting that I was not trying to swing harder or softer on shots and somehow I was 5 mph faster on a couple of shots. I find these clubs very easy to swing HARD and not sure if that is the shaft, head or a combo of the two. Missed several 20 yards right of target which could be operator error but for whatever reason that was more of a pattern with these than the other clubs I have tested (right miss is definitely the tendency but not this far right). I wanted these clubs to be the best clubs I tested because I like Cobra but I think they are going to come up just short. They are a very good club for someone who wants to move past a traditional game improvement iron but still needs help. On many days, that is probably still me. I could absolutely game these and never look back but there are a few other factors that may stop that from becoming a reality (see below). 

Value (7.3/10): These are some of the more expensive clubs that I have looked at (I have looked at a lot of DTCs to be fair) and even at the top end of the Major OEM scale. Cobra does a good job at giving a lot of custom options for free or a small charge but I am likely going to be fine in a stock KBS Tour V shaft. The MIM tech is a compelling story and likely why the cost is higher. They are trying to give you softness, feedback, spin consistency and forgiveness which is, honestly, about impossible. My hats off to them but this tech did not make the club separate itself and justify this cost over some other options for me and my game. 

Final Positives: I think this club will appeal to a lot of people that are looking just past the Players Distance irons but not into the Players CB irons. This really does a lot of things pretty well and still might end up in my bag. I think it is an impressive bit of magic they pulled off by making these fairly soft but also forgiving. 

Final Negatives: Really quite expensive in terms of what else is out there and what can be found in the DTC space. I think the cost is the main thing that is holding me back along with the potential for a flier or two (which honestly is probably going to be the case no matter what). 

Edited by vandyland
Added dispersion chart

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks great review.  Currently have the forged tec black (2018 I believe) and was looking at these.  I will definitely give them a spin.  

Cobra forged Tec 4-p kbs S+ 
ping 410 lst driver kbs category ping 410 max 3w kbs category 4 tsi2 5wood tensai white 90 cobra king 3 utility tensai white 100  Vokey sm7 54 and 60 evnroll er5 

Really impressive review. This should be the template for all unofficial reviews. I appreciate your time and effort giving us this information. You really started to heat up at the end of that shot collection. I would do some terrible/embarrassing things to have a shot cluster like that. #goals

Go Blue! Hail to the victors!

On 7/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jim8702 said:

Thanks great review.  Currently have the forged tec black (2018 I believe) and was looking at these.  I will definitely give them a spin.  

Again they felt great and I hit the current Forged TECs the week earlier and didn't notice a ton of difference, forgiveness-wise. If you're a 10 HDCP I would think you could handle these no problem. The issue I had with the Forged TECs was the spin was all over the place and thus I would hit some absolute rockets and then normal shots on basically the same strike pattern. The KING Tour was my first love and had I not had so much time to hit other clubs, I would have bought these and been happy.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:36 PM, GIRplus3Putt said:

Really impressive review. This should be the template for all unofficial reviews. I appreciate your time and effort giving us this information. You really started to heat up at the end of that shot collection. I would do some terrible/embarrassing things to have a shot cluster like that. #goals

I appreciate that! I enjoyed looking at this and other clubs and logging the information. I always enjoy and put a lot of stock in other people's reviews but get annoyed when it is all subjective stuff like "these feel great" or "these seemed to go the same distance." To be able to see the numbers was helpful to me and hopefully helpful to others in narrowing down their list of clubs to try. I still very much suggest that everyone try out at least a few clubs on their own and these demo programs are great. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

Again they felt great and I hit the current Forged TECs the week earlier and didn't notice a ton of difference, forgiveness-wise. If you're a 10 HDCP I would think you could handle these no problem. The issue I had with the Forged TECs was the spin was all over the place and thus I would hit some absolute rockets and then normal shots on basically the same strike pattern. The KING Tour was my first love and had I not had so much time to hit other clubs, I would have bought these and been happy.

I appreciate that! I enjoyed looking at this and other clubs and logging the information. I always enjoy and put a lot of stock in other people's reviews but get annoyed when it is all subjective stuff like "these feel great" or "these seemed to go the same distance." To be able to see the numbers was helpful to me and hopefully helpful to others in narrowing down their list of clubs to try. I still very much suggest that everyone try out at least a few clubs on their own and these demo programs are great. 

Hahaha those are exactly what my unofficial reviews sound like. I just started taking golf seriously in 2021, and I want to be a benefit to this community. What do you use to collect your data? Do you own a TrackMan or just have access to one? I just posted a review on my new driver, and I reread it, and thought “this is not helpful to anyone that is looking for an unbiased review of this club.” A launch monitor is next on my list of purchases, if only for the fact to better serve this forum. This forum has helped me out so much this year, and I am better off for it. Like Arnold Palmer says to leave a golf course in better condition than you when you got there, I want to do that with this forum. 

Go Blue! Hail to the victors!

I definitely do not own a Trackman. I think they retail around $20k. There are several areas in my town, Nashville, where you can rent a Trackman for an hour. There is one spot where you can rent a Trackman AND take it outside to hit off of grass. I think this is key for irons and wedges (not so much for a Driver) as hitting off a mat will mess with the spin (lower than normal) and launch (higher than normal) as well as the sole forgiveness (most mats you will bounce off of whereas you would dig off turf). 

You appear to live in Myrtle Beach. I would think there are a TON of Trackmans available to rent in your area. I can see three right here:

image.png.5a98c51542d79fec67f91139cfadf62e.png

Or you can google "Golf Simulator Myrtle Beach" and probably find some companies with a GCQuad or similar. I think monitors like SkyTrak and Mevo+ are fine but they aren't as consistent or accurate as Trackman. But buying a Trackman is crazy unless you have a ton of money (if you do, that's awesome!).