Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

ELI5 How to read shaft specs

If you don't use reddit then ELI5 is a subreddit that stands for "Explain like I'm 5."

I've found it particularly difficult to learn how shafts work and how to read the shaft specs. I understand "or think I do" some of the terms such as torque "amount of turn?", weight, length, tip, but don't understand how the addition of multiple specifications together actually change the dynamics of what the shaft does. I've tried probably about 40-50 shafts so I understand that some feel stiffer, some feel "whippier", swing weight differences, etc but what I don't understand is how we put all of that together to compliment a persons swing. I've heard statements like counter balanced but don't have any understanding of what that means. Please someone explain like I'm five if you don't want to get into the details or push me into a direction where I can learn as much as possible and read about what the specs mean and what changes/benefits are caused by the various specifications. If you're willing to go beyond and detailed I would really appreciate it as well. I will not be offended if I do respond to an answer with a question and nobody answers the follow on. I really just want to learn the physics behind this stuff. 

• Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

Darn...  I was really hoping you had found a Reddit thread that handled shaft specs and did "ELI5"  I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, although it seems like you've perhaps spent more time & money with your research.  I'll follow this to see if it goes anywhere.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

2 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Darn...  I was really hoping you had found a Reddit thread that handled shaft specs and did "ELI5"  I'm somewhat in the same boat as you, although it seems like you've perhaps spent more time & money with your research.  I'll follow this to see if it goes anywhere.

Good god I wish, I'd be telling everyone in the world my incredible findings. I actually just sent an email to someone at KBS probably will just get ignored asking for any information that they would be willing to share. While I am not going to pursue a job in club fitting because my pay and happiness is good where it is at right now I'd love to learn as much as one because it is interesting to me. Hopefully someone helps us out Blue!!

boyblue.gif

• PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

50 minutes ago, ST3LTR0 said:

Good god I wish, I'd be telling everyone in the world my incredible findings. I actually just sent an email to someone at KBS probably will just get ignored asking for any information that they would be willing to share. While I am not going to pursue a job in club fitting because my pay and happiness is good where it is at right now I'd love to learn as much as one because it is interesting to me. Hopefully someone helps us out Blue!!

boyblue.gif

@GolfSpy Barbajoand Kim Braly seem to be tight, (per Barba at least 🤣) so hopefully you'll hear something good.  There are many many threads on here regarding shafts, flex, the fact that there is no unified specification, etc etc etc.  Good Luck in yer quest!

Monty Python Movie GIF

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

2 hours ago, MGoBlue100 said:

@GolfSpy Barbajoand Kim Braly seem to be tight, (per Barba at least 🤣) so hopefully you'll hear something good.  There are many many threads on here regarding shafts, flex, the fact that there is no unified specification, etc etc etc.  Good Luck in yer quest!

Monty Python Movie GIF

As an update I took the kbs course which very mildly went into details. I now basically know about all kbs shafts just not quite why they do what they do in deep details. Worth the hour imo though.

• PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

4 hours ago, ST3LTR0 said:

If you don't use reddit then ELI5 is a subreddit that stands for "Explain like I'm 5."

I've found it particularly difficult to learn how shafts work and how to read the shaft specs. I understand "or think I do" some of the terms such as torque "amount of turn?", weight, length, tip, but don't understand how the addition of multiple specifications together actually change the dynamics of what the shaft does. I've tried probably about 40-50 shafts so I understand that some feel stiffer, some feel "whippier", swing weight differences, etc but what I don't understand is how we put all of that together to compliment a persons swing. I've heard statements like counter balanced but don't have any understanding of what that means. Please someone explain like I'm five if you don't want to get into the details or push me into a direction where I can learn as much as possible and read about what the specs mean and what changes/benefits are caused by the various specifications. If you're willing to go beyond and detailed I would really appreciate it as well. I will not be offended if I do respond to an answer with a question and nobody answers the follow on. I really just want to learn the physics behind this stuff. 

i'd start with the true temper videos on youtube; they have a whole series called True Temper school that explains the basics of shafts.   

https://www.youtube.com/c/TrueTemperGolf/videos

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

i'd start with the true temper videos on youtube; they have a whole series called True Temper school that explains the basics of shafts.   

https://www.youtube.com/c/TrueTemperGolf/videos

I actually stumbled across this about ten minutes ago. Thank you for the help!

• PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

5 minutes ago, ST3LTR0 said:

I actually stumbled across this about ten minutes ago. Thank you for the help!

MGS also started a series called Shaft U with Fujikura.   Gets pretty detailed,  but talks about how shafts are made and what they try to do  

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-university-launches-shaft-u-powered-by-fujikura/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, ST3LTR0 said:

Previous posts have great content/advice. Several of the golf shaft brands have very good websites and as you have found good videos.

Admittedly I am a Tom Wishon disciple for club-making, club-fitting and golf technical research. https://wishongolf.com/twgt-books/ . Tom has tremendous knowledge regarding golf shafts.

And there are tons of Wishon Tube videos and web content if you do a search. Several of his books discuss golf shafts in depth. And MGS community has many members with tremendous knowledge and that respond to golf shaft questions. 

Another reason why getting fit is better than trying to blind buy. Example is someone looking to reduce spin and launch with or without knowing what their numbers are from a launch monitor.

The person searches the internet for reviews, they look at various websites to find low/low shafts. Buy one and it doesn’t work. They think maybe I don’t need a low/low shaft maybe a mid low. Many of the specs and how a brand lists a shaft are specific to that brand. The stiffness, torque and so on are measured different by each brand and they use different machines to measure them. Now there are going to be brands that measure at the same point and use the same machine but if you don’t know who is doing the same it’s a guess.

Once someone has been fit a couple times a pattern starts to develop for what shaft or what weight and profile of a shaft works. But it’s not a guarantee it will always work or that as an example of a certain counterbalance shaft works for the person all counterbalanced shafts will work.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Another reason why getting fit is better than trying to blind buy. Example is someone looking to reduce spin and launch with or without knowing what their numbers are from a launch monitor.

The person searches the internet for reviews, they look at various websites to find low/low shafts. Buy one and it doesn’t work. They think maybe I don’t need a low/low shaft maybe a mid low. Many of the specs and how a brand lists a shaft are specific to that brand. The stiffness, torque and so on are measured different by each brand and they use different machines to measure them. Now there are going to be brands that measure at the same point and use the same machine but if you don’t know who is doing the same it’s a guess.

Once someone has been fit a couple times a pattern starts to develop for what shaft or what weight and profile of a shaft works. But it’s not a guarantee it will always work or that as an example of a certain counterbalance shaft works for the person all counterbalanced shafts will work.

Definitely enjoyed getting fitted just wanted to understand more. A lot more to learn for sure! 

Edited by ST3LTR0
Accidentally hit enter
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

17 minutes ago, ST3LTR0 said:

Definitely enjoyed getting fitted just wanted to understand more. A lot more to learn for sure! 

For sure. We all have been there. Having spent time with two shaft manufacturers helped me learn but also that what is listed on a website doesn’t correlate across the board

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1