TESTERS WANTED! ×

Short vs. Long

fixyurdivot

Short or Long?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more frequently short or long?

• Short
    • Long
  2. 2. Which shot are you most often short or long?

• Approaches
    • Wedges/Pitches
    • Putting
  3. 3. Which short or long condition do you think most adversely affects your scoring?

• Approaches
    • Wedges/Pitches
    • Putting

I have recently started keeping track of approaches, chips, and putts that are short vs. long.  This far, I am short a little more than 76% of the time collectively, and with approaches and chips making up almost 60% of that.  I've been doing a much better job getting more putts past the hole (never up, never in rule).  As some may recall in other threads, I have recently been clubbing down in attempt to resolve the shorts on approaches and pitch/wedge shots but I think I'm subconsciously also aware of the added club length and not committing to a full shot 😐. On the range, I feel like I have pretty solid distance control 8i up, but this does not seem to translate to play.  

I'd be curious to hear what your typical distance control is and whether you are short or long more of the time.  Also, what have you been working on to improve this.  I'm considering changing back to an 8i bump and run vs. using my 56/12 for those 20 yard and closer chips.  It's what I previously used and go away from it when I added the additional wedge.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

We have a few plus handicappers here. Other than them anyone who says they are more frequently long with their approach shots needs to take a super long, hard look in the mirror. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just got plain tired of always coming up short, so I got "real" about my distance with the clubs, ego set aside (not easy). Also accepted my age as a factor. And came to the realization that the number on the bottom doesn't matter, getting close to the hole does. So when in doubt I club up to be sure. I can say that this season I'm doing much better at getting hole high, sometimes long which is better for my game in the long run.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

2 hours ago, revkev said:

We have a few plus handicappers here. Other than them anyone who says they are more frequently long with their approach shots needs to take a super long, hard look in the mirror. 🙂

I am a mid hc (but hope to be single digit w/in the year) and my approaches aren't short generally unless I'm between clubs and mishit it, but I also have the tendency to take too much club and be long. However, I'm 56 and learned after many years that the purpose of irons is to hit them a certain distance as opposed to seeing how far I can hit them. If I posted my iron distances I expect many would think I am a short hitter, but it's just that I swing at 80% plus I have irons with high lofts because I want to hit the ball high. 

My nephew is a single digit hc'er and plays strong gi irons which honestly I don't understand. For example his 8 iron and my 5 iron go the same distance, yet I doubt he can out drive me by more than 30-35 yards consistently.

7 hours ago, Cblade said:

I am a mid hc (but hope to be single digit w/in the year) and my approaches aren't short generally unless I'm between clubs and mishit it, but I also have the tendency to take too much club and be long. However, I'm 56 and learned after many years that the purpose of irons is to hit them a certain distance as opposed to seeing how far I can hit them. If I posted my iron distances I expect many would think I am a short hitter, but it's just that I swing at 80% plus I have irons with high lofts because I want to hit the ball high. 

My nephew is a single digit hc'er and plays strong gi irons which honestly I don't understand. For example his 8 iron and my 5 iron go the same distance, yet I doubt he can out drive me by more than 30-35 yards consistently.

Do you use a tracking device like Shotscope or ARCCOS?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

9 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Interested in how you track this as I have been considering doing this as well, and have been thinking about how exactly to track it. I feel like I’m always short,but I want to see it so it can sink in. 

Great question 

A simple way and a more complicated one. The simple way is put a mark on a scorecard for a while that indicates short/long - when I was younger I had this entire code thing to denote right/left draw/fade, push/pull as well.

You don’t have to do this for every round, 5-10 will give you a good pattern of where your misses lie.

A bit more complicated most of the shot tracking devices have supplemental data in the base. Often you can only access what you need on a laptop so you will have to check it there. The issue is that it’s presuming you’ve accurately captured the pin all the time.

Trying to always take enough club is an admirable goal - likewise getting speed right when putting and chipping is huge. 

This is an important thread. I still would suggest that anyone who thinks he’s missing long more than short without actually tracking it for a period of time is fooling himself.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think you need to do more analysis than just long or short; same with left and right.  Ideally you should have as many long shots as you do short.  No one hits shots the exact same distance and the goal should be to center the pattern over your target.  If the majority of your shots are short or long then you should make adjustments.  This applies to approach, wedges, and putting.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Interested in how you track this as I have been considering doing this as well, and have been thinking about how exactly to track it. I feel like I’m always short,but I want to see it so it can sink in. 

I've just been using a code system on the scorecard and running numbers.  I wish I had gathered more data before switching to the "more club" strategy but, even having done this, I'm amazed how often I'm still short... better, but short.  I do believe much of this is me not committing to that lower lofted club.  The numerous range sessions to establish yardages (avg & sd) are pretty consistent (will have to do this all over with the new irons).  I think I just need to start flying past flags more often and then dial it back.

17 minutes ago, release said:

For me. being short on the approach shots often better than being too long.  Especially those missed the line to either side of the target .

Based on that response it sounds like you are picking bad targets.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm short many times on approach shots, mostly because I'm hitting my maximum distance clubs just to get to many greens in regulation anyway.  On holes where I'm hitting a reasonable club into the green, I am usually on the green but short of the pin; not a bad spot as our our greens are firm and I get lots of rollout.

Similarly, wedges and pitch shots are closer but still a little short; usually in a very makable range which is what we are trying to accomplish... right?.

I rarely leave putts short except when lagging from long distance.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sometimes missing short is needed to not get into trouble long and vice versa going long is better than short.

I don’t track if I’m long or short. I look at it js did i accomplish the goal of leaving myself where I’m able to minimize the damage if I don’t hit my intended target 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Do you use a tracking device like Shotscope or ARCCOS?

No I don't. But I can assure you that I swing well within myself with my irons for accuracy. I can reach over 110 with my driver and the 9 iron in my old set I only planned on hitting 142 yards. My "new" iron set DCI 990B are at least a half club shorter my 9 iron should go 136 with and easy swing. From what I've seen the higher h.c.'s trying to hit their 9 iron 165 more or less.

32 minutes ago, Cblade said:

No I don't. But I can assure you that I swing well within myself with my irons for accuracy. I can reach over 110 with my driver and the 9 iron in my old set I only planned on hitting 142 yards. My "new" iron set DCI 990B are at least a half club shorter my 9 iron should go 136 with and easy swing. From what I've seen the higher h.c.'s trying to hit their 9 iron 165 more or less.

You're a rarity then - I think though that it is important not to make statements based on exceptions.  It's like saying, "Well I hit a draw.  Why would anyone want a "draw" driver when we all know that 80 percent of golfers struggle with a slice."  So while you may be the extremely rare exception who takes enough club into the green and almost always hits you approach shot well enough to get flag high it remains a true reality that most don't, myself included and I'm a fairly accomplished golfer.

I'd highly recommend that you do find a shot tracking program of some sort.  You might be surprised at what you learn.  For example I used to game wedges at even 4 degree gaps because that was the prevailing wisdom, Peltz said it, SCOR (my wedge brand) recommended it for me, really just about anything that you read said, Do this!  Then I got ShotScope which revealed that my 56 degree wedge was next to worthless.  I rarely if ever hit it full and when I used it around the green I was not nearly as effective as I was with the 52 and the 60.  I ended up replacing the club with something else almost as useless but at least by having it out of the bag I wasn't tempted to use it.  My handicap index dropped because I consistently got the 52 closer to the hole.  Fast forward to this season.  I replaced my SCOR wedges with an Edison 59 and 53 bent to 54 (they only come in odd numbers.)  I'm a bit more accurate and consistent with those wedges on full shots but am no where near as effective chipping with the 54 as I was with the 52.  So....... I've taken the useless 3 wood out of the bag - something that I've needed to do for a while and put the 52 back in.  If it ever stops raining in Florida I will expect that my chipping will go back to where it was and my handicap will head back down again after trending up for a while.

Having a good tracking system may be a great way to discover some holes in your game that are simple to fix either through an equipment change, practice, a lesson or a change in strategy.  I've learned by now that there have been things that I thought about my game that just weren't true based on the numbers - don't get me started on hybrids. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

@revkev I am seeing a trend in my game too.  Every time I pull the 52° I lose a stroke.  Going to leave it on the pier tomorrow and Sunday.  So… I’ll go from 48° to 58°… not sure Bob would approve.  But I don’t use the 52° ever, and when I do it is bad.  So to curb the temptation to use it and destroy a round, it’s staying home forever.

I think I’m going to look at going 48°, 54°, 60°… but the 58° has been seeing all of the work inside 100 for the past few months, and it is working well, unless I need to go under a tree, then it’s a 5-7 iron chip and run.

Not sure what to do with the wedges… 

So interestingly I've found myself longer far more than shorter this season. Some weight training/daily yoga/weight loss while I was working remote may be a factor in this. However in my last 3 rounds I have missed long on a number of shots where I took the same club I used to, and either ended up over the green, in a trap, or through the fairway. This has happened with irons and wedges equally. I'm still likely to leave a few scoring irons & wedges short, especially on partial shots, however missing long is a new and novel thing for me right now.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

38 minutes ago, revkev said:

You're a rarity then - I think though that it is important not to make statements based on exceptions.  It's like saying, "Well I hit a draw.  Why would anyone want a "draw" driver when we all know that 80 percent of golfers struggle with a slice."  So while you may be the extremely rare exception who takes enough club into the green and almost always hits you approach shot well enough to get flag high it remains a true reality that most don't, myself included and I'm a fairly accomplished golfer.

I'd highly recommend that you do find a shot tracking program of some sort.  You might be surprised at what you learn.  For example I used to game wedges at even 4 degree gaps because that was the prevailing wisdom, Peltz said it, SCOR (my wedge brand) recommended it for me, really just about anything that you read said, Do this!  Then I got ShotScope which revealed that my 56 degree wedge was next to worthless.  I rarely if ever hit it full and when I used it around the green I was not nearly as effective as I was with the 52 and the 60.  I ended up replacing the club with something else almost as useless but at least by having it out of the bag I wasn't tempted to use it.  My handicap index dropped because I consistently got the 52 closer to the hole.  Fast forward to this season.  I replaced my SCOR wedges with an Edison 59 and 53 bent to 54 (they only come in odd numbers.)  I'm a bit more accurate and consistent with those wedges on full shots but am no where near as effective chipping with the 54 as I was with the 52.  So....... I've taken the useless 3 wood out of the bag - something that I've needed to do for a while and put the 52 back in.  If it ever stops raining in Florida I will expect that my chipping will go back to where it was and my handicap will head back down again after trending up for a while.

Having a good tracking system may be a great way to discover some holes in your game that are simple to fix either through an equipment change, practice, a lesson or a change in strategy.  I've learned by now that there have been things that I thought about my game that just weren't true based on the numbers - don't get me started on hybrids. 🙂

I don't live in the US and also am on a limited budget (with one daughter in college and another one on the way) so I buy component clubs or used. Nonetheless, at my age the advantage generally is we are more honest with ourselves about our capabilities so that helps. I once was a high single digit and hope to return. My strength was my length and accuracy off the tee, and my weakness my short irons. However, I believe I am close to understanding my "good" swing enough to make it work for my short irons. I also believe the DCI 990B's will also help me with my hook and hit the ball higher and more consistently with my short irons. I already have the DCI LW and I have never hit a short iron so well. I believe it's due to most of the weight near the hosel.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Based on that response it sounds like you are picking bad targets.

I don't think so, even with weaker vision than the younger me. I think. I still know where the target should be.   Usually the penalty for misses will be severe for missing left or right or being long; then being short.

Plus, I have the common golfer's syndrome, only remember the best shot I have had.  That, prompt the 70% miss being short to target.  The approach could be on line and got to the putting surface, but being 10-15 yards short of ideal spot.  I still think it's not an ideal approach shot ended up more than 20' away from the intended spot. 

I hit 55-60% of GIR. 22.5% of those are short and 4.5% are long. Probably a higher percentage than most in my HC range. However it is by design. There are only 2 holes at my club that you can be long and have a reasonable chance at up & down.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Ideally you should have as many long shots as you do short.

That makes sense and what I'm trying to get my numbers too.  I'm even counting shorts with GIR's but barely getting onto the front with a middle and back pin. It has to start with some more longs however.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That makes sense and what I'm trying to get my numbers too.  I'm even counting shorts with GIR's but barely getting onto the front with a middle and back pin. It has to start with some more longs however.

Are you measuring short vs long depending on pin or just green on approaches? I understand on short chips and pitches you may be measuring to the pin. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Are you measuring short vs long depending on pin or just green on approaches? I understand on short chips and pitches you may be measuring to the pin. 

Both on approaches.  I'm even giving consideration to missing left and right but being pin high (or nearly so) recognizing that had I been on line it would have been long.

32 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I hit 55-60% of GIR. 22.5% of those are short and 4.5% are long. Probably a higher percentage than most in my HC range. However it is by design. There are only 2 holes at my club that you can be long and have a reasonable chance at up & down.

This is a great point.  Short of the pin doesn’t mean you are short.  Your target in these situations isn’t the pin.  Your target is shorter and some are closer to pin and others aren’t.

if the pin is back and my target is front half of the green and the ball ends up on the front half I’m not really short.   

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Both on approaches.  I'm even giving consideration to missing left and right but being pin high (or nearly so) recognizing that had I been on line it would have been long.

See below. This is where I was going. Just because the pin is in the middle and I hit the front part, doesn't mean that wasn't my intention. 

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is a great point.  Short of the pin doesn’t mean you are short.  Your target in these situations isn’t the pin.  Your target is shorter and some are closer to pin and others aren’t.

if the pin is back and my target is front half of the green and the ball ends up on the front half I’m not really short.   

Exactly. Tracking against target will probably give you a better metric. 

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Great question 

A simple way and a more complicated one. The simple way is put a mark on a scorecard for a while that indicates short/long - when I was younger I had this entire code thing to denote right/left draw/fade, push/pull as well.

You don’t have to do this for every round, 5-10 will give you a good pattern of where your misses lie.

A bit more complicated most of the shot tracking devices have supplemental data in the base. Often you can only access what you need on a laptop so you will have to check it there. The issue is that it’s presuming you’ve accurately captured the pin all the time.

Trying to always take enough club is an admirable goal - likewise getting speed right when putting and chipping is huge. 

This is an important thread. I still would suggest that anyone who thinks he’s missing long more than short without actually tracking it for a period of time is fooling himself.  

Thanks. I have a couple extra small notebooks that I think I’m going to use since I keep score on my phone. Just going to track approach shot club used (7 iron and in) the distance and result. Chipping pretty much just if it was long or short. Putting approximate distance and if it was long or short. The course I play has free yardage books so I m going to put some dots with a sharpie for a visual of where I m hitting to. It’s a bit of work on my part, but should give me a true representation of what’s going on and not just what I think is happening in my game.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Yes but there are also times, many times where you should Intentionally aim at a target past the pin. That can’t count as long, either. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yes but there are also times, many times where you should Intentionally aim at a target past the pin. That can’t count as long, either. 🙂

Yep.