Short vs. Long

Short or Long?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more frequently short or long?

• Short
    • Long
  2. 2. Which shot are you most often short or long?

• Approaches
    • Wedges/Pitches
    • Putting
  3. 3. Which short or long condition do you think most adversely affects your scoring?

• Approaches
    • Wedges/Pitches
    • Putting

I hit 55-60% of GIR. 22.5% of those are short and 4.5% are long. Probably a higher percentage than most in my HC range. However it is by design. There are only 2 holes at my club that you can be long and have a reasonable chance at up & down.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Ideally you should have as many long shots as you do short.

That makes sense and what I'm trying to get my numbers too.  I'm even counting shorts with GIR's but barely getting onto the front with a middle and back pin. It has to start with some more longs however.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That makes sense and what I'm trying to get my numbers too.  I'm even counting shorts with GIR's but barely getting onto the front with a middle and back pin. It has to start with some more longs however.

Are you measuring short vs long depending on pin or just green on approaches? I understand on short chips and pitches you may be measuring to the pin. 

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Are you measuring short vs long depending on pin or just green on approaches? I understand on short chips and pitches you may be measuring to the pin. 

Both on approaches.  I'm even giving consideration to missing left and right but being pin high (or nearly so) recognizing that had I been on line it would have been long.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

32 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I hit 55-60% of GIR. 22.5% of those are short and 4.5% are long. Probably a higher percentage than most in my HC range. However it is by design. There are only 2 holes at my club that you can be long and have a reasonable chance at up & down.

This is a great point.  Short of the pin doesn’t mean you are short.  Your target in these situations isn’t the pin.  Your target is shorter and some are closer to pin and others aren’t.

if the pin is back and my target is front half of the green and the ball ends up on the front half I’m not really short.   

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Both on approaches.  I'm even giving consideration to missing left and right but being pin high (or nearly so) recognizing that had I been on line it would have been long.

See below. This is where I was going. Just because the pin is in the middle and I hit the front part, doesn't mean that wasn't my intention. 

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is a great point.  Short of the pin doesn’t mean you are short.  Your target in these situations isn’t the pin.  Your target is shorter and some are closer to pin and others aren’t.

if the pin is back and my target is front half of the green and the ball ends up on the front half I’m not really short.   

Exactly. Tracking against target will probably give you a better metric. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Great question 

A simple way and a more complicated one. The simple way is put a mark on a scorecard for a while that indicates short/long - when I was younger I had this entire code thing to denote right/left draw/fade, push/pull as well.

You don’t have to do this for every round, 5-10 will give you a good pattern of where your misses lie.

A bit more complicated most of the shot tracking devices have supplemental data in the base. Often you can only access what you need on a laptop so you will have to check it there. The issue is that it’s presuming you’ve accurately captured the pin all the time.

Trying to always take enough club is an admirable goal - likewise getting speed right when putting and chipping is huge. 

This is an important thread. I still would suggest that anyone who thinks he’s missing long more than short without actually tracking it for a period of time is fooling himself.  

Thanks. I have a couple extra small notebooks that I think I’m going to use since I keep score on my phone. Just going to track approach shot club used (7 iron and in) the distance and result. Chipping pretty much just if it was long or short. Putting approximate distance and if it was long or short. The course I play has free yardage books so I m going to put some dots with a sharpie for a visual of where I m hitting to. It’s a bit of work on my part, but should give me a true representation of what’s going on and not just what I think is happening in my game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Yes but there are also times, many times where you should Intentionally aim at a target past the pin. That can’t count as long, either. 🙂

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yes but there are also times, many times where you should Intentionally aim at a target past the pin. That can’t count as long, either. 🙂

Yep.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG