Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Second Hand Options

Phil M

Hi All,

Coming back to golf after a 18 year absence! I guess a lot has changed, but also some stuff never changes 🙂

I'm looking to get a second hand set on the cheap, whilst I find my way back. 

I'm a mid-handicapper and prefer reg. flex graphite shafts (irons included). I tend to like clubs that feel quite neutral and hit straight. (ie. had a Titleist 975D driver back in the day... I loved how accurate it was!)

Honestly, don't really know where to start.. so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated!

Do you have a shop near you that sells second hand?   If so, go try them.  

if not, look at the most wanted results from 3-4 years ago.  That will give you an idea of what performed well for the largest group of testers and some targets to try.   as one of the most wanted testers, I can tell you that pretty much any club will provide you what you need and it will come down to personal preference for head manufacturer 

One word of warning/advice you say regular fleX, but there really is no standard shaft flex. Depending on the makeup of the shaft a shaft may feel or play softer or firmer and it is best to try everything unless you are familiar with the actual shaft.   You also need to consider weight as graphite shafts range from 40 to 120+ grams.  Weight will impact swing timing and how potentially how tired you get near the end of the round.  

good luck in you search. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Plenty of Ping Eye 2 and King Cobra Oversize sets out here in foozle-land.  But I would not put too much faith in old graphite shafts.  I think technology in shafts moved a lot faster than tinkering with variations on the Eye 2 or Cobra iron club heads.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I just went thru similar circumstance  … 14 yr absence. I had same driver, 3 wood … approx 1997? But my irons were from 1980. Abt 1/2 inch shorter than standard clubs today. I went to Callaway preowned clubs last Oct and purchased 2019 Apex (new, previous model year) … and I kept my Titanium metal woods. I bought blades cuz that’s what I used to play. Then in April I couldn’t stand another person asking my why I was teeing off with a 3 wood … I wasn’t. The 975D is about the size of a 3 wood today. So I bought new Titleist TSi3 woods & hybrids, because I thought I could work myself back to my old form. Crazy how the mind can mislead us. And the final plan was to add new irons next year. I REGRET THOSE  DECISIONS. Get fit! You can find out which local clubs will host manufactures who offer free fittings. You don’t have to buy. Our pro has a 60% sales record with Callaway. So 40% get fitted but don’t act on it. I will be there next March when the manufacturers return. I will never play standard clubs again. If you can’t do that, my strong opinion is buy anything made to improve performance. My swing is intermittent nowadays. I nut the ball 5x a round, roll it 3x a round, and toe or blade it all other shots. I’m 64. Flexibility is not bad, but not like when I was young. My lower hemisphere attracts far more gravity than days gone by, too. So get the newest forgiving clubs you can afford until you get fit and have a better idea what will work best for you. In April I was hitting my 975D 190 yds. My new, not as forgiving as I would like, TSi3 goes 240 … 260 if I hit it on the screws, because of technology. But If I were to get fit tomorrow, I bet I could add another 25yds with fit shafts and a more forgiving driver. Shafts are very important. Set makeup has changed. A lot of guys only carry 6-PW and use hybrids for long clubs. It’s an entirely different world & if you aren’t happy with your clubs you won’t have as much fun out there. Good luck.

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I would start with RalphMaltby.com.  He publishes a playability of clubs (MPF) going back 20+ years.  (http://ralphmaltby.com/maltby-playability-factor/)  Look up your old set, then find something that has a similar or better playability factor.  Find a good club fitter, not a sales person.  Have your length, swing speed, grip size, and lie angle checked and have the new clubs adjusted accordingly.

S/G

2nd swing is the best place for used clubs. No competition especially if you live near one and can get a free fitting. I got an old demo set for 1/2 off retail. Only the 7 iron had the plastic off, the rest looked like they had never been hit

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

2nd swing is a good place to go, and if they have store. That's even better, getting fit is always a plus.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter