Bryson "The Driver Sucks"; Cobra rep follows up on their side

TBS

If I was an equipment company, I would stay far away from Bryson. The amount of resources you would have to put forward to R&D to make a driver that fits Bryson would take a lot of time, money, and people. 

Full recap of what happened - in Bryson's post round interview (https://twitter.com/theopen/status/1415699970276139010?s=21) he says the "driver sucks" and mishits result in really bad shots. Golfweek then gets a Cobra rep to comment on his statement. The rep who goes into detail about what they are having to do to work with Bryson. People are actively CAD'ing to get him a better driver.

image.png.64376a98a78ff2979e790a38fbdc08be.png

At what point is Cobra not seeing ROI when Bryson demands so much? What they design for him would never touch a shelf in a big box store.

• Like 7

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

A few thoughts:

• Based on everything I've read, Bryson is amazing at finding the center of the face. I believe Tony Covey has tweeted things to this effect.
  • That means he's not asking for a driver that saves drives that he's hitting all over the face.
  • That said: he's playing a 5° driver and approaching 200mph of ball speed. There just isn't legal equipment (and in my opinion, there shouldn't be) that eliminates the prospect of giant misses there.
  • Bryson nearly single-handedly created a niche product market for single-length irons. Nope, almost no one is playing the same clubs he's playing (and no one should). But I'd love to see what happens to One Length iron sales each time he wins. I wonder if that alone is worth keeping him on.
  • Like 9

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

its kinda crazy. Its almost like BAD should, you know, take a little off, and let his swing work. I know he is a way better ball striker than any of us, especially at that speed. However, if you defy all useable equipment, how can you be successful?

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

Just now, rbsiedsc said:

its kinda crazy. Its almost like BAD should, you know, take a little off, and let his swing work. I know he is a way better ball striker than any of us, especially at that speed. However, if you defy all useable equipment, how can you be successful?

Not saying that you're wrong, but I'm glad Bryson is doing his thing. It's like automakers learning from racing and applying those innovations to consumer cars. If Cobra is pushed to make drivers that work for Bryson, that should (maybe?) have a positive benefit for mere mortals.

• Like 3

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Not saying that you're wrong, but I'm glad Bryson is doing his thing. It's like automakers learning from racing and applying those innovations to consumer cars. If Cobra is pushed to make drivers that work for Bryson, that should (maybe?) have a positive benefit for mere mortals.

fully agree. I am just saying in the context of winning this tournament (which then is a bad idea for anyone to change what they do best). I love his unicorn style. it is great for the game IMO. He also is forcing Cobra (and others) to really get down to the physics of their designs. I wonder if he is at a tour van now, hot melting his driver in the heel and lofting up to 6* to give him the draw bias he would like?

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter (Testing SIK DW 2.0 35" double bend)

I really don't see the trickle down of Bryson based technology to the mainstream golfer.  May be I am too pessimistic, but its hard to see it working out for Cobra. Bryson's swing is so unique in almost every facet that it would be only a fluke if it had any significant impact for average golfers.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

:titelist-small:  TSi 3 9.0  Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  917 F2 16.5 3W Diamana 60  Reg

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70HY Reg 

:titelist-small:  4-PW 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 / 60 - KBS Tour Wedge

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png

1 minute ago, KC Golf said:

I really don't see the trickle down of Bryson based technology to the mainstream golfer.  May be I am too pessimistic, but its hard to see it working out for Cobra. Bryson's swing is so unique in almost every facet that it would be only a fluke if it had any significant impact for average golfers.

If I'm understanding Bryson correctly, he's only talking about work Cobra has done with the face tech of the driver. This doesn't have much to do with his unusual swing: the issue is how forgiving can you make a face that is also designed for absolute max ball speed. While the specific face build they end up with for Bryson won't have much use for me, I imagine there will be things that they learn about face tech that might.

• Like 4

Full WITB with pictures

Sounds like there may be some behind the scenes things he is dealing with. While Bryson doesnt really hold back comments this sounds like A) a frustrating round compounded by B) those behind the scenes issues he is dealing with.

Regardless I am somewhat happy Ben Schomin responded back in that way responding they are doing everything they can.

• Like 8

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Me waiting to see what Keopka says:

image.png

• Haha 5

Driver: Sim 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff Aldila Rogue Silver 110

3 Wood: Sim 14* X-Stiff Aldila Rogue Silver

2 Hybrid/2 Iron: 2019 Apex/2019 P790 both X-Stiff

4-PW: '21 Apex Pros S+ KBS C-Taper 1* flat

Wedges: P770 Gap Wedge 50*, Cleveland RDX 56*

My Putter: Hates Me (Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 4 Putter)

7.0 Handicapped Right Hander from Salt Lake City, Utah

F1 drivers blame their cars all the time whether it's really a mechanical issue or not. It pushes engineers to make the car better and better and that eventually trickles down into the regular cars we purchase. 

It's the same here and we will all benefit from what Cobra is learning from Bryson's constant envelope pushing. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't really align with Bryson's personality but he's the face of Cobra now and they have to roll with it. I'm sure there will be some great internal meetings at Cobra to discuss further and I'm sure Bryson will post some sort of apology and life will move on. 

• Like 2

My bag is a revolving door!

Just now, bens197 said:

At the end of the day, Cobra signed him knowing full well what he was all about. 

This is a good point.

That said, his caddie got on the bag knowing what he was about as well.

I will add this, because I had to look it up: Bryson is almost certainly bringing money into Cobra on irons:

Source: https://mygolfspy.com/cobra-radspeed-irons/

• Like 7

Full WITB with pictures

I am not a huge fan of Bryson and I feel he needs to realize that if you are going to push the boundaries of ball speed and equipment it might take some time for manufacturers to streamline it. Seems a bit tone deaf to be saying this after a round, definitely sounds more like a frustration point. That being said he has certainly garnered more attention on golf, we basically talk about everything that he does each week! 

• Like 4

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies (15*) 

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

12 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

I am not a huge fan of Bryson and I feel he needs to realize that if you are going to push the boundaries of ball speed and equipment it might take some time for manufacturers to streamline it. Seems a bit tone deaf to be saying this after a round, definitely sounds more like a frustration point. That being said he has certainly garnered more attention on golf, we basically talk about everything that he does each week! 

I can’t imagine publicly dissing a primary sponsor, that’s just wrong. But that’s just one more bullet for my long list of reasons I don’t care for Bryson. I wouldn’t even look at much less buy anything associated with Bryson. But I know many people like him, and that’s just ducky.

• Like 4
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

3 minutes ago, Middler said:

I can’t imagine publicly dissing a primary sponsor, that’s just wrong. But that’s just one more bullet for my long list of reasons I don’t care for Bryson. I wouldn’t even look at much less buy anything associated with Bryson. But I know many people like him, and that’s just ducky.

That's kind of what I mean, tone deaf. I do agree with previous posts that Cobra signed him knowing full well what came with that. Hard to believe he needs that driver much this week anyways. 

SIK driver in the works?  

If I were cobra… I’d probably drop him effective right now.  I’m sure they could lure in another great player to fill the void… seems like it is getting farther from shore each time something goes wrong with BAD… and I don’t even mind the guy.

• Hmmm 1

Just to quickly add my two cents in. I think he is unhappy with the wrong company... In the last two majors I've seen him loose grip on footwork several times slipping as he is trying to swing for the heavens. Considering if that happened to me I would end up on my face or whiffing on the ball completely I would say his driver is doing a respectable job. If I was him I would be looking at a more stable shoe that will not allow this to happen and so he can have the assurance he will have his footing when swinging at his incredible speeds. 

• Like 5

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Just to quickly add my two cents in. I think he is unhappy with the wrong company... In the last two majors I've seen him loose grip on footwork several times slipping as he is trying to swing for the heavens. Considering if that happened to me I would end up on my face or whiffing on the ball completely I would say his driver is doing a respectable job. If I was him I would be looking at a more stable shoe that will not allow this to happen and so he can have the assurance he will have his footing when swinging at his incredible speeds. 

sounds like he needs some SQIARZ! Imagine the distance he'd get then!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

This is actually something that I had not thought about! He has slipped quite a few times in the last few events I have seen him in.  

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

sounds like he needs some SQIARZ! Imagine the distance he'd get then!

I think I need to hear Faldo read that ad one more time to really understand the benefits of this shoe... 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3