TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bryson "The Driver Sucks"; Cobra rep follows up on their side

TBS

On 7/18/2021 at 10:20 AM, sixcat said:

I’ve read a couple of different places, the new owners of TaylorMade will look to downsize their Tour footprint toward the end of this season. They are looking at more of a Ping/Titleist model from what’s being discussed. 

Bryson and Big Bob “Pigman” Parsons would be a match made in heaven/hell, depending on your perspective. 

I would love to see that. put the PXG model to the test and give Bryson basically free range. Either would turn out amazing or everything to burn

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 7/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

How hard would it have been, during the initial interview, to say something like "You know, I just didn't have it going with the driver today.  Some days it works and I look like a genius, and some days it doesn't work - and you get this.  We all fight the driver some days, and I'm no different."

Can't his handlers coach him on how to respond like this, instead of acting like a 4 year old?

Bryson's problem is that he ignores his "handlers" far too often ... like every time he thinks he know better than they do, which is almost always.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Listening to Michael Breed this morning defending Bryson was painful.  He likes him so much that he's objectivity went out the window.

Driver:  TM SIM2 Max

Woods:  3/5 TM SIM2 Max

Hybrid:  22 PXG

Irons:  5-PW 0311XF PXG

Wedges: 50/54/58 Vokey SM8 Black 

Putter:  Custom SC 009 35/330g

On 7/19/2021 at 1:00 PM, rbsiedsc said:

I would love to see that. put the PXG model to the test and give Bryson basically free range. Either would turn out amazing or everything to burn

Yeah, well, Bryson couldn't get away with his childish behavior with Purple Heart recipient Bob Parsons.

Edited by hrfdez

13 hours ago, hrfdez said:

Listening to Michael Breed this morning defending Bryson was painful.  He likes him so much that he's objectivity went out the window.

Michael Breed has never been objective. He has been toting the company mail (PGA Tour) for two decades. 

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Michael Breed has never been objective. He has been toting the company mail (PGA Tour) for two decades. 

I sent him an email to call him on it. 

I can tell you this much, if I were in charge of Cobra Golf, after that tantrum, DeChambeau would have not be playing my equipment. 

Edited by hrfdez

On 7/19/2021 at 8:53 AM, ronkie31 said:

He needs to grow up yet, pretty mature though for his age.

He's 27 years old, about to turn 28. I would agree if he was 18-20 and skipped college to go on tour.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

On 7/18/2021 at 1:20 PM, sixcat said:

I’ve read a couple of different places, the new owners of TaylorMade will look to downsize their Tour footprint toward the end of this season. They are looking at more of a Ping/Titleist model from what’s being discussed. 

Bryson and Big Bob “Pigman” Parsons would be a match made in heaven/hell, depending on your perspective. 

“Pigman”??

On 7/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, sixcat said:

Obviously, you haven't seen the latest PXG commercial!!!

Spare yourself the misery. It's atrocious!!!

If you listen to the npg episode when he hosted he explains the commercial 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Doesn't make it any less atrocious!

Guessing opinion is based solely on the ad and not based on hearing the mindset behind it, but either way it’s one opinion vs another and saying to spare ones misery is only slightly biased

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Guessing opinion is based solely on the ad and not based on hearing the mindset behind it, but either way it’s one opinion vs another and saying to spare ones misery is only slightly biased

I listened a few weeks ago. Wasn't impressed. Parson's has made a fortune from schtick. Good for him. It's not for me, bias or no bias!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I listened a few weeks ago. Wasn't impressed. Parson's has made a fortune from schtick. Good for him. It's not for me, bias or no bias!

... Can you imagine this same type of commercial for BMW? Rolex? Really any premium brand? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

57 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Can you imagine this same type of commercial for BMW? Rolex? Really any premium brand? 

It's akin to those old Go Daddy commercials Parsons used to put out during the Super Bowl. They target a specific audience. I'm obviously not that audience. 

39 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It's akin to those old Go Daddy commercials Parsons used to put out during the Super Bowl. They target a specific audience. I'm obviously not that audience. 

... Yup, you can't help but conjure up Al Czervik as rich, ignorant, obnoxious and a perfect target audience customer. Clearly PXG has plenty of sales so it is working with some golfers. Of course there are those that could not care less about a commercial and base their purchase on looks at address and performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 12:40 PM, sixcat said:

Doesn't make it any less atrocious!

Yep but it is funny to me--- A guy I play with some has a full set of PXGs----- I was doing the pig squeal thing while trouncing his butt with a set of 1980 Mac blades .  Right now he is hot as a match at me. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/29/2021 at 4:26 PM, chisag said:

... Yup, you can't help but conjure up Al Czervik as rich, ignorant, obnoxious and a perfect target audience customer. Clearly PXG has plenty of sales so it is working with some golfers. Of course there are those that could not care less about a commercial and base their purchase on looks at address and performance.

My bud Bear had bought a set of those irons a couple of years ago when the 0311s had came out. He had them fit and all by the PXG dealer in Fayetteville NC. Now he was stoked on them for 2 weeks or so which is about par for the course with him. Then he switched again and right now he is hitting a graphite shafted set of The newest Titleist I think the T-100 or something like that. I had told him when he got those PXGs that I was not messing with them period. Well he turned up at the house 2 weeks ago and had his PXG 6 iron he had pulled the shaft which is a disaster to begin with. He was wanting to switch shafts to something else. He had no idea what diameter the shafts were. Well the engineers at PXG have complicated things. If you use anything less than 370 then you have to buy the plastic adaptors and a special PXG collered ferrule. I cleaned out the hosel where he had heated it and melted the adaptors and it was a mess. I did retrofit a 370 shaft into it but tried a Callaway collered ferrule and I am not completely satisifed with the fitment. I do know at the bottom it is drilled for a taper tip but from my research I have the conclusion you can fit any shaft into it supposedly but I am not fully convinced. I have never been into shimming shafts period. I told him the other day to come get it and like I told him to begin with I was not messing with those things and he needed to take them back to the dealer. One thing I am convinced of is those clubs are weighted in the hosel I do not care what they say those adaptors even if they are plastic add weight to the hosel. If I end up with a set for me I will drill all the way down and put 370 shafts in them. If I do his like that he will more than likely hit the good for a while and then say I messed up the balance of something like that. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

51 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

My bud Bear had bought a set of those irons a couple of years ago when the 0311s had came out. He had them fit and all by the PXG dealer in Fayetteville NC. Now he was stoked on them for 2 weeks or so which is about par for the course with him. Then he switched again and right now he is hitting a graphite shafted set of The newest Titleist I think the T-100 or something like that. I had told him when he got those PXGs that I was not messing with them period. Well he turned up at the house 2 weeks ago and had his PXG 6 iron he had pulled the shaft which is a disaster to begin with. He was wanting to switch shafts to something else. He had no idea what diameter the shafts were. Well the engineers at PXG have complicated things. If you use anything less than 370 then you have to buy the plastic adaptors and a special PXG collered ferrule. I cleaned out the hosel where he had heated it and melted the adaptors and it was a mess. I did retrofit a 370 shaft into it but tried a Callaway collered ferrule and I am not completely satisifed with the fitment. I do know at the bottom it is drilled for a taper tip but from my research I have the conclusion you can fit any shaft into it supposedly but I am not fully convinced. I have never been into shimming shafts period. I told him the other day to come get it and like I told him to begin with I was not messing with those things and he needed to take them back to the dealer. One thing I am convinced of is those clubs are weighted in the hosel I do not care what they say those adaptors even if they are plastic add weight to the hosel. If I end up with a set for me I will drill all the way down and put 370 shafts in them. If I do his like that he will more than likely hit the good for a while and then say I messed up the balance of something like that. 

I’m sticking with my Pings😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 7/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, bens197 said:

There are plenty of guys on Tour who are pains in the rear with their club specs and rightfully so.  Just look up Bubba and his 14 layers of tape…

When you consider how competitive it has become, I would want my tools to be absolutely precise. I mean, we have 9 handicaps on this forum who tinker with clubs as much as some Tour players.  

At the end of the day, Cobra signed him knowing full well what he was all about. 

I can give you an opposite story on fitting a Tour Player. A guy I know used to work the Callaway Tour Van but now he works for himself. He told me when Rocco Mediate was on the Cally staff he played clubs right out of the box never had adjustments made. He would ask how are the clubs for you? Rocco would reply "just fine"

G

6 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I can give you an opposite story on fitting a Tour Player. A guy I know used to work the Callaway Tour Van but now he works for himself. He told me when Rocco Mediate was on the Cally staff he played clubs right out of the box never had adjustments made. He would ask how are the clubs for you? Rocco would reply "just fine"

I mean...if you're playing X-20 irons I would think you're not necessarily a gear junkie kinda guy...more of a well-done Applebees steak kinda guy 🤣

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I mean...if you're playing X-20 irons I would think you're not necessarily a gear junkie kinda guy...more of a well-done Applebees steak kinda guy 🤣

I'm dead I laughed so hard!!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

LOL can not get an Applebees steak on this end of the beach now up in Dirty Myrtle yes. They closed our Applebees in Murrells Inlet some 3 years ago now and note this was before Covid. Seems this Applebees here had more complaints locals and Tourists alike than any other one in their chain. I was on their complaint site one night to complain and did the research and they had over 600 complaints on this one here in a 6 month period. A couple of months later they shut it down. A local steakhouse chain took over and did so well there that they outgrew the building and had to move down the road to a bigger place.

And yep you nailed it on the X-22 irons that was what he played at that time. And yep you gotta know Rocco. I know him so so and he is the funny wide open guy in real life that you see on TV. And he self admitted he had a drinking problem for a short while but you would never know it being around him or at least I never noticed it. Yep a lot of guys do their bucket list 4 some and of course  they go with the big names like Nicklaus and Palmer ( rightfully so) Me I would go with Rocco, Harry Higgs and Tommy Two Gloves Gainey. That would be fun for me screw the score. I pull for all 3 along with Doc Redman who is a good old SC boy himself.

Edited by BIG STU

G

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else notice the driver he had in the bag today for his 60? Here it is…FF593423-05D1-4E49-9CC6-2D9B4D27D60A.jpeg.0fd48329d431f634a8a179b76654aa3c.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

What in the world is that???

Thats the King LTD... He has had that in play a fair amount this season already. Stellar driver and one I absolutely loved.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thats the King LTD... He has had that in play a fair amount this season already. Stellar driver and one I absolutely loved.

I never got along with that one because I couldn’t find the right shaft for the combination. I wanted to get along with it because I liked the looks, and thought the removable “cap” on the bottom and seeing inside were pretty cool! They went back a few seasons to find him something!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

I never got along with that one because I couldn’t find the right shaft for the combination. I wanted to get along with it because I liked the looks, and thought the removable “cap” on the bottom and seeing inside were pretty cool! They went back a few seasons to find him something!

... Tough driver to control. When it was released al of the Cobra engineers played the Fly Z with the exception of one ex college D1 player that used the LTD. Like you I really wanted to play it as the tech was off the charts and I hit some of my longest drives with it, but I consistently hit the Fly Z longer and much more accurate.