TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hole in one

1 hour ago, Td0670 said:

After playing golf for over 40 years I finally scored my first ace on July 7th. It was at Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace, MD, a premiere course rated one of the best in the country. The women’s US Open was played there in the past. After finishing the round I reported the feat to the golf pro who informed me that it was not the policy of the course to recognize this in any formal way. I was given a flyer with information as to how to order memorabilia to commemorate this feat, at my own expense, should I decide to do so. My golf partners and witnesses were very surprised as they had all had aces, and each time were formally recognized by the course where it occurred. My question is whether it is unreasonable of me to feel slighted, which I certainly do. It was a very disappointing end to a great outing. Thanks 

Congratulations!!  I think you were slighted.  "Ahoy polloi..."

My 3 aces were posted in the local paper.  Spokane WA has great city and county courses, and there is a website that posts local golf news, tourney results, and aces that occurred at each of the courses with hole number, yardage and club used.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got a couple of certificates from Maxfli and Cleveland because I tagged them on Twitter with a pic of my HiO. I was thrilled to get those, and didn't feel like anyone owed me anything.

Congrats on the ace!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Unless it's a Private club that you belong to, I don't feel they slighted you. If you have a handicap established with a state golf association, they normally will recognize people that ace a hole, etc. in their newsletter or website. At one time, you could reach out to the ball manufacturer of the ball you were playing and they would send you a bag tag, etc. I know Titleist used to do that.  

Congratulations on your ace!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

20 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Unless it's a Private club that you belong to, I don't feel they slighted you. If you have a handicap established with a state golf association, they normally will recognize people that ace a hole, etc. in their newsletter or website. At one time, you could reach out to the ball manufacturer of the ball you were playing and they would send you a bag tag, etc. I know Titleist used to do that.  

Congratulations on your ace!

This. The course owes the patrons nothing for a hole in one. If it was the course record that might be different but still not something that should be expected.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

34 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Wow, you guys really don't expect any customer appreciation at all. A course that charges as much as Bulle Rock should have been able to do something for you. Be sure to check your club and ball companies, many do something. Taylormade sends an ace club hat, balls, and a nice certificate, for example. 

No I don't expect anything, regardless of price paid. I'm trying to think of the politest way to put this, but I don't have any expectation of getting free stuff whether or not it's getting an ace, participating in a forum, posting on social media, etc. If you get an ace, you have a wonderful memory of doing something that some golfers don't get to experience in their entire lifetimes. That should be more than enough.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

43 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Wow, you guys really don't expect any customer appreciation at all. A course that charges as much as Bulle Rock should have been able to do something for you. Be sure to check your club and ball companies, many do something. Taylormade sends an ace club hat, balls, and a nice certificate, for example. 

I’ve played bulle rock numerous times as well as multiple other high end courses in the DC/Baltimore area.

I hav zero expectations of getting anything from a course based on its price. If the staff is friendly, the course is in good condition then they’ve delivered what I paid for.

Just because some courses offer tokens or something for an achievement that a patron accomplishes doesn’t make it the standard. You lost nothing in the deal and you are entitled to no prize or money unless otherwise stipulated by the course befor you played the round.

Im not saying lower your expectations but you need to look at what you think you are entitled to receive from a business 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

50 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Nope!  Why would the course owe you anything?  At best, report it to the local paper, but beyond that, no.  I belong to a private club and we have an "insurance pool" for when we get a hole in one....the bar tab is on you and the insurance is meant to cover it.  We pay $2 for every HIO on our monthly bill to cover the insurance.  I had a hole in one a couple years back, received more from the pool than it cost me in the bar, and got my name in the paper.  Anything beyond that, would have been on me to initiate...(i.e. notify associations, groups, club/ball manufacturer etc).

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Probably should tone down the temp on this discussion and bring it back around to the topic.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Congrats on the hole in one!

While it would be cool to get something to commemorate it, expecting I wouldn't no. While I can say if I managed a course I would definitely do something like this, Just fun IMO.

Regardless, congrats and save that ball with a date on there!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

14 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Personally, I think your attitude is why customer service is horrendous throughout the business world. Keeping customers happy and making them feel special is how you used to ensure return business and good word of mouth advertising. Now, you deliver the bare minimum and the sheep come back anyway. 

100% chance a waiter has spit on your food. 

I was going to share a story but I think this ship has sailed...

Have a weekend everybody...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I was going to share a story but I think this ship has sailed...

Have a weekend everybody...

lol might be a good idea! Cheers!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Congrats on the Ace! 

I know a few courses near me that have a plaque on the wall for members who have scored an ace, but I don’t recall if it included any non-members. 

More importantly, you owe all your buddies a round at the bar!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I've had 3 aces, including one at my home club, and the course has never given me anything.  It reminds me of the immortal Arlo Guthrie, who famously wrote the following line:

"I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage"

Well I didn't get nothing, and I had to pay the bar bill!  And it was worth every penny.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Congrats in tbe ace.

I'm still hoping for my first of many.

My home club does acknowledge aces by posting it's congratulations on newsletters etc. But doesn't give any kind of reward, which I think is fair.  Instead of the player buying drinks for everyone they do give the player a  bottle of whisky to put on the bar, which the player then replaces from the supermarket rather than pay bar prices for it.

17 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Jlukes, you don't know me at all.   Courtesy is a two way street.   I am unfailingly pleasant to those in the service industry (hard jobs for low pay), and virtually always am treated in kind.  And for the record, I tip very well when that is the case.   When I speak of customer service, I'm talking about things like this hole in one, an unusual circumstance where a business going a little out of their way to celebrate a special occasion (or correct a mistake) would just be a fun and pleasant thing to do.  You see that less and less. So my guess is I have a better read on you from your "sense of entitlement" nonsense than you think you have of me. Now God Bless and have a nice weekend. 

So, I'm curious.  What do you think is the appropriate reward that the golf course should give you?  Any differences between a private club member, a muni player, or a resort guest?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

Titleist sent me a dozen DT 90's after the clubhouse reported the HIO to all the manufacturers I was "representing". Beyond that, I got nothing and had zero expectations.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

i give myself a little bit of an upset stomach with every hole-in-six, but i guess that’s a different story. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Well, we’ve certainly seen both sides of the argument in this thread. I’ve had two HIO’s. I don’t recall getting any recognition for the first one. For that matter, I may not have even told the pro shop. I hadn’t been playing that long and it never occurred to me that anyone other than friends would care. After the second one, the course acknowledged it in the newsletter with a photo of me with a goofy grin on my face. That was plenty for me. 

I will say recognizing the HIO is a good PR move for the course. It makes the golfer feel that he/she is part of a family, if you will. If I was running a course, I would have a wall of photos of the lucky golfers. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Recognition and a photo on the website or a nice printed certificate would cost the course nothing and would buy a lot of good will. There are courses in our area that take the flag of the hole and write all the details of your hole in one on it for you to keep. Something Brainerd. that's an extremely nice keepsake and costs very little.  Am I saying it's necessary? No.  But as several others have said, if I owned or were running a course, those small costs for the word of mouth positive advertising you would get from it would be an absolute no brainer. It's simply good business practice. 

The large majority of golfers will never get a hole in one. A course that has good conditions, a friendly staff especially the starter, Marshall’s, beverage cart person along with a good range and practice facility will go even further than a piece of paper or photo of someone who gets a hole in one.

Customer service starts when a person arrives at the course. If that sux before the golfer steps on course and they get some recognition for a hole in one later that isn’t going to offset the bad customer service that started their day off.

Too many people feel entitled to recognition for their actions/achievements. If people dropped the entitlement feeling and add in more grace and appreciation the world would be a lot better off

On 7/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, Td0670 said:

. My question is whether it is unreasonable of me to feel slighted, which I certainly do. It was a very disappointing end to a great outing. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I agree with everything you said above except the "entitlement" piece. All of the former statements are true, but there's nothing wrong with a business going just a little further and recognizing a customer's achievement.  

I quoted your post and the original post.   Some businesses and courses have chosen to go the extra mile and provide a memento for your getting a hole in one and there is nothing wrong with that.   The OP felt slighted that the course didn't do anything for him;  I personally read the word "free" into  yours and the original post.   If the course offers a plaque that you have to purchase is that an acceptable option to recognize the customers achievement?   This is the approach I have seen at courses near me.   A friend of mine got a hole in one and when reporting it to the clubhouse he could purchase a custom plaque to signify the experience.     While I have never had a hole in one I wouldn't feel slighted or disappointed if the course didn't offer anything; no matter how high end of a course I was playing.  Keep the signed witnessed scorecard and the ball and you have everything you need to remember the occasion.  Again,  just my opinion.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

59 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I agree with everything you said above except the "entitlement" piece. All of the former statements are true, but there's nothing wrong with a business going just a little further and recognizing a customer's achievement.  No, they don't have to do so, but doing so says "we care about you and want to help celebrate your big day. You are not just a simple business transaction to us. " Again, it's simple business sense. Why do you think many of the equipment companies have hole in one clubs with recognition trinkets? Costs almost nothing but goes a long way toward building brand loyalty. Yes, it's nice when people show "grace and appreciation" but there's no reason businesses shouldn't want to do the same. 

You really don’t like quoting or using the @ when you reply to people. But that’s cool.

While a hole in one is special and for many it can be a big day but in the grand scheme of thing it’s not that important. Without raising a single finger I can count the percentage of golfers who would decide no to go to a course because someone or a group of people provided a review somewhere that said “this course doesn’t recognize a golfer for getting a hole in one” but if people post the course is in bad shape, the range is terrible for whatever reason, the staff isn’t friendly or some other negative review of the course the percentage of golfers that would decide not to go there goes up compared to no hole in one recognition.

Yes expecting the course to recognize your accomplishment is being entitled.

And yes to an earlier point it does cost the course something if the preorder certificates to recognize a hole in one or if they print them out. While the cost may be small depending on the route they go it does cost money.

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

So, I'm curious.  What do you think is the appropriate reward that the golf course should give you?  Any differences between a private club member, a muni player, or a resort guest?

I think like @cnosileaid “the option” to buy something, given hey even better.

me personally a plaque with something to put the ball on would be pretty cool. Again no problem buying it from the clubhouse could be as easy as “so and so course hole in one” able to add date and hole 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I just aced the fourth hole on my course today, first one ever. I don't care if anyone says boo about it but I am pretty proud of myself. I came away with insurance money and only had to buy my guys a few rounds,some food and a solid tip for the bartender. Honestly, it's only important to you and your friends are happy for you so get over it.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

5 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I just aced the fourth hole on my course today, first one ever. I don't care if anyone says boo about it but I am pretty proud of myself. I came away with insurance money and only had to buy my guys a few rounds,some food and a solid tip for the bartender. Honestly, it's only important to you and your friends are happy for you so get over it.

Congratulations!!!

5 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

congrats on the lucky shot!  😃

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, Chip Strokes said:

i give myself a little bit of an upset stomach with every hole-in-six, but i guess that’s a different story. 

Did that on a par 3 today, about jumped in the pond….

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X