Hole in one

1 hour ago, Td0670 said:

After playing golf for over 40 years I finally scored my first ace on July 7th. It was at Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace, MD, a premiere course rated one of the best in the country. The women’s US Open was played there in the past. After finishing the round I reported the feat to the golf pro who informed me that it was not the policy of the course to recognize this in any formal way. I was given a flyer with information as to how to order memorabilia to commemorate this feat, at my own expense, should I decide to do so. My golf partners and witnesses were very surprised as they had all had aces, and each time were formally recognized by the course where it occurred. My question is whether it is unreasonable of me to feel slighted, which I certainly do. It was a very disappointing end to a great outing. Thanks 

Congratulations!!  I think you were slighted.  "Ahoy polloi..."

My 3 aces were posted in the local paper.  Spokane WA has great city and county courses, and there is a website that posts local golf news, tourney results, and aces that occurred at each of the courses with hole number, yardage and club used.  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got a couple of certificates from Maxfli and Cleveland because I tagged them on Twitter with a pic of my HiO. I was thrilled to get those, and didn't feel like anyone owed me anything.

Congrats on the ace!

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Unless it's a Private club that you belong to, I don't feel they slighted you. If you have a handicap established with a state golf association, they normally will recognize people that ace a hole, etc. in their newsletter or website. At one time, you could reach out to the ball manufacturer of the ball you were playing and they would send you a bag tag, etc. I know Titleist used to do that.  

Congratulations on your ace!

• Like 6

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

20 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Unless it's a Private club that you belong to, I don't feel they slighted you. If you have a handicap established with a state golf association, they normally will recognize people that ace a hole, etc. in their newsletter or website. At one time, you could reach out to the ball manufacturer of the ball you were playing and they would send you a bag tag, etc. I know Titleist used to do that.  

Congratulations on your ace!

This. The course owes the patrons nothing for a hole in one. If it was the course record that might be different but still not something that should be expected.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Wow, you guys really don't expect any customer appreciation at all. A course that charges as much as Bulle Rock should have been able to do something for you. Be sure to check your club and ball companies, many do something. Taylormade sends an ace club hat, balls, and a nice certificate, for example. 

• Haha 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

34 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Wow, you guys really don't expect any customer appreciation at all. A course that charges as much as Bulle Rock should have been able to do something for you. Be sure to check your club and ball companies, many do something. Taylormade sends an ace club hat, balls, and a nice certificate, for example. 

No I don't expect anything, regardless of price paid. I'm trying to think of the politest way to put this, but I don't have any expectation of getting free stuff whether or not it's getting an ace, participating in a forum, posting on social media, etc. If you get an ace, you have a wonderful memory of doing something that some golfers don't get to experience in their entire lifetimes. That should be more than enough.

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

43 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I’ve played bulle rock numerous times as well as multiple other high end courses in the DC/Baltimore area.

I hav zero expectations of getting anything from a course based on its price. If the staff is friendly, the course is in good condition then they’ve delivered what I paid for.

Just because some courses offer tokens or something for an achievement that a patron accomplishes doesn’t make it the standard. You lost nothing in the deal and you are entitled to no prize or money unless otherwise stipulated by the course befor you played the round.

Im not saying lower your expectations but you need to look at what you think you are entitled to receive from a business 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I really hope this sense of entitlement doesn’t follow people away from the golf course. Jeez 

• Like 4

CC5 sig.png

50 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Nope!  Why would the course owe you anything?  At best, report it to the local paper, but beyond that, no.  I belong to a private club and we have an "insurance pool" for when we get a hole in one....the bar tab is on you and the insurance is meant to cover it.  We pay $2 for every HIO on our monthly bill to cover the insurance.  I had a hole in one a couple years back, received more from the pool than it cost me in the bar, and got my name in the paper.  Anything beyond that, would have been on me to initiate...(i.e. notify associations, groups, club/ball manufacturer etc).

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Personally, I think your attitude is why customer service is horrendous throughout the business world. Keeping customers happy and making them feel special is how you used to ensure return business and good word of mouth advertising. Now, you deliver the bare minimum and the sheep come back anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

😧 Wilson Triton

Probably should tone down the temp on this discussion and bring it back around to the topic.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0 [CURRENT MGS FORUM TEST]
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

Congrats on the hole in one!

While it would be cool to get something to commemorate it, expecting I wouldn't no. While I can say if I managed a course I would definitely do something like this, Just fun IMO.

Regardless, congrats and save that ball with a date on there!

• Like 6

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

14 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Personally, I think your attitude is why customer service is horrendous throughout the business world. Keeping customers happy and making them feel special is how you used to ensure return business and good word of mouth advertising. Now, you deliver the bare minimum and the sheep come back anyway. 

100% chance a waiter has spit on your food. 

• Like 1

CC5 sig.png

I was going to share a story but I think this ship has sailed...

Have a weekend everybody...

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I was going to share a story but I think this ship has sailed...

Have a weekend everybody...

lol might be a good idea! Cheers!

• Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Jlukes, you don't know me at all.   Courtesy is a two way street.   I am unfailingly pleasant to those in the service industry (hard jobs for low pay), and virtually always am treated in kind.  And for the record, I tip very well when that is the case.   When I speak of customer service, I'm talking about things like this hole in one, an unusual circumstance where a business going a little out of their way to celebrate a special occasion (or correct a mistake) would just be a fun and pleasant thing to do.  You see that less and less. So my guess is I have a better read on you from your "sense of entitlement" nonsense than you think you have of me. Now God Bless and have a nice weekend. 

• Like 3

😧 Wilson Triton

Congrats on the Ace! 

I know a few courses near me that have a plaque on the wall for members who have scored an ace, but I don’t recall if it included any non-members. 

More importantly, you owe all your buddies a round at the bar!

• Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

I've had 3 aces, including one at my home club, and the course has never given me anything.  It reminds me of the immortal Arlo Guthrie, who famously wrote the following line:

"I didn't get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage"

Well I didn't get nothing, and I had to pay the bar bill!  And it was worth every penny.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Congrats in tbe ace.

I'm still hoping for my first of many.

My home club does acknowledge aces by posting it's congratulations on newsletters etc. But doesn't give any kind of reward, which I think is fair.  Instead of the player buying drinks for everyone they do give the player a  bottle of whisky to put on the bar, which the player then replaces from the supermarket rather than pay bar prices for it.

• Like 2