Hole in one

17 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Jlukes, you don't know me at all.   Courtesy is a two way street.   I am unfailingly pleasant to those in the service industry (hard jobs for low pay), and virtually always am treated in kind.  And for the record, I tip very well when that is the case.   When I speak of customer service, I'm talking about things like this hole in one, an unusual circumstance where a business going a little out of their way to celebrate a special occasion (or correct a mistake) would just be a fun and pleasant thing to do.  You see that less and less. So my guess is I have a better read on you from your "sense of entitlement" nonsense than you think you have of me. Now God Bless and have a nice weekend. 

So, I'm curious.  What do you think is the appropriate reward that the golf course should give you?  Any differences between a private club member, a muni player, or a resort guest?

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Titleist sent me a dozen DT 90's after the clubhouse reported the HIO to all the manufacturers I was "representing". Beyond that, I got nothing and had zero expectations.

• Like 3

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

i give myself a little bit of an upset stomach with every hole-in-six, but i guess that’s a different story. 

• Haha 8

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Well, we’ve certainly seen both sides of the argument in this thread. I’ve had two HIO’s. I don’t recall getting any recognition for the first one. For that matter, I may not have even told the pro shop. I hadn’t been playing that long and it never occurred to me that anyone other than friends would care. After the second one, the course acknowledged it in the newsletter with a photo of me with a goofy grin on my face. That was plenty for me. 

I will say recognizing the HIO is a good PR move for the course. It makes the golfer feel that he/she is part of a family, if you will. If I was running a course, I would have a wall of photos of the lucky golfers. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Recognition and a photo on the website or a nice printed certificate would cost the course nothing and would buy a lot of good will. There are courses in our area that take the flag of the hole and write all the details of your hole in one on it for you to keep. Something Brainerd. that's an extremely nice keepsake and costs very little.  Am I saying it's necessary? No.  But as several others have said, if I owned or were running a course, those small costs for the word of mouth positive advertising you would get from it would be an absolute no brainer. It's simply good business practice. 

• Like 3

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Recognition and a photo on the website or a nice printed certificate would cost the course nothing and would buy a lot of good will. There are courses in our area that take the flag of the hole and write all the details of your hole in one on it for you to keep. Something Brainerd. that's an extremely nice keepsake and costs very little.  Am I saying it's necessary? No.  But as several others have said, if I owned or were running a course, those small costs for the word of mouth positive advertising you would get from it would be an absolute no brainer. It's simply good business practice. 

The large majority of golfers will never get a hole in one. A course that has good conditions, a friendly staff especially the starter, Marshall’s, beverage cart person along with a good range and practice facility will go even further than a piece of paper or photo of someone who gets a hole in one.

Customer service starts when a person arrives at the course. If that sux before the golfer steps on course and they get some recognition for a hole in one later that isn’t going to offset the bad customer service that started their day off.

Too many people feel entitled to recognition for their actions/achievements. If people dropped the entitlement feeling and add in more grace and appreciation the world would be a lot better off

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with everything you said above except the "entitlement" piece. All of the former statements are true, but there's nothing wrong with a business going just a little further and recognizing a customer's achievement.  No, they don't have to do so, but doing so says "we care about you and want to help celebrate your big day. You are not just a simple business transaction to us. " Again, it's simple business sense. Why do you think many of the equipment companies have hole in one clubs with recognition trinkets? Costs almost nothing but goes a long way toward building brand loyalty. Yes, it's nice when people show "grace and appreciation" but there's no reason businesses shouldn't want to do the same. 

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

On 7/15/2021 at 5:59 PM, Td0670 said:

. My question is whether it is unreasonable of me to feel slighted, which I certainly do. It was a very disappointing end to a great outing. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I agree with everything you said above except the "entitlement" piece. All of the former statements are true, but there's nothing wrong with a business going just a little further and recognizing a customer's achievement.  

I quoted your post and the original post.   Some businesses and courses have chosen to go the extra mile and provide a memento for your getting a hole in one and there is nothing wrong with that.   The OP felt slighted that the course didn't do anything for him;  I personally read the word "free" into  yours and the original post.   If the course offers a plaque that you have to purchase is that an acceptable option to recognize the customers achievement?   This is the approach I have seen at courses near me.   A friend of mine got a hole in one and when reporting it to the clubhouse he could purchase a custom plaque to signify the experience.     While I have never had a hole in one I wouldn't feel slighted or disappointed if the course didn't offer anything; no matter how high end of a course I was playing.  Keep the signed witnessed scorecard and the ball and you have everything you need to remember the occasion.  Again,  just my opinion.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

59 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I agree with everything you said above except the "entitlement" piece. All of the former statements are true, but there's nothing wrong with a business going just a little further and recognizing a customer's achievement.  No, they don't have to do so, but doing so says "we care about you and want to help celebrate your big day. You are not just a simple business transaction to us. " Again, it's simple business sense. Why do you think many of the equipment companies have hole in one clubs with recognition trinkets? Costs almost nothing but goes a long way toward building brand loyalty. Yes, it's nice when people show "grace and appreciation" but there's no reason businesses shouldn't want to do the same. 

You really don’t like quoting or using the @ when you reply to people. But that’s cool.

While a hole in one is special and for many it can be a big day but in the grand scheme of thing it’s not that important. Without raising a single finger I can count the percentage of golfers who would decide no to go to a course because someone or a group of people provided a review somewhere that said “this course doesn’t recognize a golfer for getting a hole in one” but if people post the course is in bad shape, the range is terrible for whatever reason, the staff isn’t friendly or some other negative review of the course the percentage of golfers that would decide not to go there goes up compared to no hole in one recognition.

Yes expecting the course to recognize your accomplishment is being entitled.

And yes to an earlier point it does cost the course something if the preorder certificates to recognize a hole in one or if they print them out. While the cost may be small depending on the route they go it does cost money.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

So, I'm curious.  What do you think is the appropriate reward that the golf course should give you?  Any differences between a private club member, a muni player, or a resort guest?

I think like @cnosileaid “the option” to buy something, given hey even better.

me personally a plaque with something to put the ball on would be pretty cool. Again no problem buying it from the clubhouse could be as easy as “so and so course hole in one” able to add date and hole 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes expecting the course to recognize your accomplishment is being entitled

Agreed, the only 'expectation' that seems reasonable should be to be treated the same as any other player that achieves at that venue.

• Like 1

I just aced the fourth hole on my course today, first one ever. I don't care if anyone says boo about it but I am pretty proud of myself. I came away with insurance money and only had to buy my guys a few rounds,some food and a solid tip for the bartender. Honestly, it's only important to you and your friends are happy for you so get over it.

• Like 8

I'm lazy at interneting...

5 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

I just aced the fourth hole on my course today, first one ever. I don't care if anyone says boo about it but I am pretty proud of myself. I came away with insurance money and only had to buy my guys a few rounds,some food and a solid tip for the bartender. Honestly, it's only important to you and your friends are happy for you so get over it.

Congratulations!!!

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 minutes ago, Muckinfiddle said:

congrats on the lucky shot!  😃

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, Chip Strokes said:

i give myself a little bit of an upset stomach with every hole-in-six, but i guess that’s a different story. 

Did that on a par 3 today, about jumped in the pond….

• Haha 2

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

16 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

Did that on a par 3 today, about jumped in the pond….

haha i just tell everyone i played the hole twice 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Some day I will get mine. Since I normaly play solo, I won't even tell the pro in the pro shop. Without witnesses its not official. But I know that I did it and that’s all that matters. I'll buy my own trophy insert the ball in it and smile at it every day.  

My club would put it in our weekly emails to let the membership know and would let the local newspaper know. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

Congratulations 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

On 7/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, Td0670 said:

After playing golf for over 40 years I finally scored my first ace on July 7th. It was at Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace, MD, a premiere course rated one of the best in the country. The women’s US Open was played there in the past. After finishing the round I reported the feat to the golf pro who informed me that it was not the policy of the course to recognize this in any formal way. I was given a flyer with information as to how to order memorabilia to commemorate this feat, at my own expense, should I decide to do so. My golf partners and witnesses were very surprised as they had all had aces, and each time were formally recognized by the course where it occurred. My question is whether it is unreasonable of me to feel slighted, which I certainly do. It was a very disappointing end to a great outing. Thanks 

Congratulations @Td0670! All I have to say about the recognition part of this discussion is that if I ever get an ace I hope the course has an extra flag in their inventory 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

• 3 months later...

I got this back in 1992 during a league event. The pro gave me the ball holder trophy and also sent a note to the local news paper regarding the Ace. The small town paper screwed up the item, however … I should have been miffed that they spelled my name wrong, but that wasn’t the only typo. They also printed the wrong hole number, and instead of the actual par 3, they announced that my Ace  came on the 18th hole, which is a par 4. So I’ve got that going for me. 🥴🤣

A side note … a local golf fanatic has 26 Aces to his name. That’s not what is amazing about him however. The amazing site-to-see is his swing. He actually drags the club away from the ball at address, breaking his wrists backward, as he drags the club a good 3 feet down the line, before moving the club up to the top of his swing. He offered to teach me the swing when I was 20, and I just laughed. That 26th ace came last year when he is in his late 80s. 40+ years later and I’ve only had the one ace. I guess I should have listened.

8002D172-6444-41C0-964D-163B3ED76F76.jpeg

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X