TESTERS WANTED! ×

I got a gift card for an initial evaluation plus three follow up lessons for Christmas from my Dad. I called this morning to schedule an appointment.

I'm just wondering what kind of expectations I should have going in and what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am taking lessons from there right now and am not seeing the progress I hoped to. In my opinion they focus WAY too much on numbers and comparing you to Tiger.

I have had about 10 lessons now and in almost all of them I make basically two swings the entire lesson. After I warm up I make on that is deconstructed. Then we do some drills before a final swing to see the progress that was made. That's it.

The methodology just isn't for me so I will be going to my fitter as he is someone that I trust. I currently shoot 97-105 and he tells me that I should be shooting low to mid 80s in two months with him. He is confident in my ability as a golfer and his ability as an instructor to make it happen. Almost the opposite of what we see in the Haney Project. Haney says Ray should already be there while Ray has decided he will get worse before getting better.

In my KZG Stand Bag:

919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)

919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)

KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)

KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)

Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33"

My Golf Blog

My Scorecards

Thanks for the reply. I go for my first evaluation session next Sunday. It will be interesting to see if the experience I have is the same. I hope not.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Thanks for the reply. I go for my first evaluation session next Sunday. It will be interesting to see if the experience I have is the same. I hope not.

Please keep up posted on your experiences...I've seen them advertised and there are some things that are intriguing. They certainly are techno-savy.

Please keep up posted on your experiences...I've seen them advertised and there are some things that are intriguing. They certainly are techno-savy.

Will do. And if I'm brave enough, I might even post the videos of my swing. OK, maybe not. LOL.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've never been through a GolfTec lesson, but I've watched MANY GolfTec lessons at my local Golfsmith. It seems to me that they are overly focused on video (that might be my personal bias bleeding through, I hate video). My experience seconds what mbkeller said about not making a lot of swings. I saw: Swing - Watch video - Instructor draws lots of line on the video - swing. I'm sure some people like this a lot if they like to watch their swing, it's just not for me.

I think a free evaluation is a good way of figuring out whether this method will work well for you. Good luck!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Well, fortunately its all free. So, no risk. :angry: I go for my initial evaluation this afternoon.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

OK, overall it went pretty well. My lesson was with Peter Heydecker, which is one of the more experienced Teaching professionals there and the store manager. He let me warm up while he collected some information to put into their system. Then we sat down to discuss the state of my game and what my goals are.

One of my goals is to be a better striker, particularly with the irons. I don't compress the ball as much as I would like - I'm more of a sweeper. Also, I told him I would like to improve my consistency. There is something going on with my swing that some days I can be spot on but if my timing is off then my game can really fall off the map.

In the next several posts, I will share pics and audio from the lesson with some commentary from me - just to give you guys a feel for what a lesson is like there.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Address.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Address-audio.wma

We started out focusing on the address position. Overall, I was pretty happy with how similar my setup was to Tiger. Peter found some flaws which he addressed later in the lesson, but overall not too bad.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Takeaway.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Takeaway-audio.wma

Here on my takeaway I start to open the club face and Peter points that out. He's already confirmed his diagnosis from the address position, but he hasn't shared it with me at this point.

Do you recognize the pro on the right?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

TopBackswing.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Top-Backswing-audio.wma

The dreaded bowed wrist in the back swing, which Peter said was caused by an improper (weak) grip. I wasn't holding the club enough in my fingers and the pad of my left palm wasn't on top of the grip.

As a result, I couldn't get my wrists in the proper position at the top of the back swing. Going in I knew my swing was too flat, but I thought it was a take away (swing plane) issue. As it turned out, the bow in my wrist was causing the club to be laid off.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Downswing.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Downswing-audio1.wma

OK, way under the proper swing plane position on the downswing and Peter reinforces why that is. The light bulb comes on for me on why I'm so inconsistent.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Stuart Appleby?

Nope. Come on Matt, I would have expected you of all people to get this one! :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Sorry to interrupt, but quick question: how do they decide what pro to compare you to? Do they compare everyone to Tiger, or is it person by person? If it's the former, do they explain why?

They didn't give me an option. Normally on video lessons I'm always compared to Ernie Els because of my wing span. He actually said after the lesson that I had the build of a tall J.B. Holmes. Not sure how to take that. :huh:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

They didn't give me an option. Normally on video lessons I'm always compared to Ernie Els because of my wing span. He actually said after the lesson that I had the build of a tall J.B. Holmes. Not sure how to take that. :huh:

Eesh, I'm not sure that's a good thing either.

Impact.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Impact-audio.wma

I was surprised at the amount of hand action at impact here. I really didn't even realize I was doing it. This is why video is indispensable in my opinion. Nothing could have illustrated this any better.

At the end, I was asking him why I would sometimes hook my 3-wood or driver even though the face is that open. He said it was just timing.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Luke Donald was my second guess.

Ding Ding Ding. Give that man a cigar. I thought you'd get that right away considering he's a local guy.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Finish.jpg

http://www.addicted2golf.net/wp-content/uploads/Finish-audio.wma

Peter liked my finish position except he later said I needed to complete my shoulder turn and face the target a little more.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ding Ding Ding. Give that man a cigar. I thought you'd get that right away considering he's a local guy.

It looked a little too beefy for Luke at first, so it was a coinflip. I'm a big Luke Donald fan, probably just because he plays Mizunos.

Overall, I came away with some good stuff to work on. The nice thing about GolfTec is they host the photos and video on their site and provide a login to access them. He added notes, which I've included below. There were also some video drills tied to the notes that he included as part of the lesson package that focused on proper setup and grip.

1. GRIP - left hand in the fingers.. pad on top ... left hand over more ... right hand under

2. POSTURE - legs straighter and bent over more from the waist.... weight more in the TOES of the feet... Peter Heydecker

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Overall, I came away with some good stuff to work on. The nice thing about GolfTec is they host the photos and video on their site and provide a login to access them. He added notes, which I've included below. There were also some video drills tied to the notes that he included as part of the lesson package that focused on proper setup and grip.

This is something I didn't know, and I really like it. When I took lessons, I got hand written notes, and I always go back to them. Having good video of your swing with notes and tips could be just as good.

Had my second lesson after practicing and playing with the new setup and grip. This time the focus was my impact position. I'm not getting enough hip and body rotation to properly lag the club and lead at the impact position with my hands.

This is a contributing factor in my high, weak ball flight with my irons. I'm not compressing the ball at impact like I should be.

So, Peter worked with me on some impact bag drills to feel the right body position at different points in the swing. He also made sure I was doing a full wrist prick on the back swing. By the end of the lesson, I had improved my hip turn and shoulder tilt numbers dramatically. They are still not in the "good" range, but Peter was happy with my improvement.

A series of slow motion drills and practice was subscribed until the next lesson.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Had my second lesson after practicing and playing with the new setup and grip. This time the focus was my impact position. I'm not getting enough hip and body rotation to properly lag the club and lead at the impact position with my hands.

This is a contributing factor in my high, weak ball flight with my irons. I'm not compressing the ball at impact like I should be.

So, Peter worked with me on some impact bag drills to feel the right body position at different points in the swing. He also made sure I was doing a full wrist prick on the back swing. By the end of the lesson, I had improved my hip turn and shoulder tilt numbers dramatically. They are still not in the "good" range, but Peter was happy with my improvement.

A series of slow motion drills and practice was subscribed until the next lesson.

Can you explain "full wrist prick on the back swing"?

During your lesson, do they fit you with the sticks on your hips and chest to measure your turn? I've noticed that on others taking GolfTec lessons.

Can you explain "full wrist prick on the back swing"?

During your lesson, do they fit you with the sticks on your hips and chest to measure your turn? I've noticed that on others taking GolfTec lessons.

Uh, good catch on the "wrist prick". It seems every time I type "wrist ####", the MGS board system automatically changes it back to "wrist prick". So, let that be a lesson to you high handicaps out there. You can never have too much wrist prick... :rolleyes:

They don't have the sticks anymore, but they did hook me up to a harness that goes over the shoulders and then belts at the waist. You hardly know its there after a few swings except for the fact that there is a big cable coming out the back that sometimes gets caught up in your spikes.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived