TESTERS WANTED! ×

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write up, I always ask for some notes and things I need to work on and practice after a lesson.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Uh, good catch on the "wrist prick". It seems every time I type "wrist ####", the MGS board system automatically changes it back to "wrist prick". So, let that be a lesson to you high handicaps out there. You can never have too much wrist prick... :lol:

They don't have the sticks anymore, but they did hook me up to a harness that goes over the shoulders and then belts at the waist. You hardly know its there after a few swings except for the fact that there is a big cable coming out the back that sometimes gets caught up in your spikes.

HAHAHAHA! That's awesome. C*ck should be exempt from the filter due to its relevance to the golf swing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Thanks for this write up. I'm planning to start taking lessons soon, and this is one of the options I'm considering. Do you like GolfTec more or less than other lessons you've taken in the past?

Actually, these are the first lessons I've taken where I truly understand where the flaws are in my swing and I feel like I am armed with a way to correct them. So, yeah, I'd highly recommend them. The client portal is great. You have access to all your images, vids, notes, and drills all in one place. Very cool.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Great write up, I always ask for some notes and things I need to work on and practice after a lesson.

Thanks John, it took me a little longer than I anticipated to pull the content over to this site but if it helps some folks then it was worth it.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 1 month later...

Actually, these are the first lessons I've taken where I truly understand where the flaws are in my swing and I feel like I am armed with a way to correct them. So, yeah, I'd highly recommend them. The client portal is great. You have access to all your images, vids, notes, and drills all in one place. Very cool.

Any update on how you are doing?

• 1 month later...

I recently did the one hour eval for $79 (?$99), just to check it out. I just started playing last year, am a high-handicapper, and do have a regular pro (whom I love). I loved the great video capture, seeing the club angel at impact, and all the tech stuff. What didn't work (for me), is not seeing the ball flight, hitting off a "tee" (I still chunk it 3 times a round) and, most significantly two things bothered me. First, the swing we did most of my analysis on was an early one, and not very good. After warming up I am getting more inside out, and transferring my weight, on this swing, not-so-much. Second, the main tip for getting my set-up correct would only work when the sun is directly overhead, or I carried a lighting tripod around - thus, not useful. I MIGHT consider one of their (expensive) packages for the winter months, but, when I can get outside, I do!

I got a gift card for an initial evaluation plus three follow up lessons for Christmas from my Dad. I called this morning to schedule an appointment.

I'm just wondering what kind of expectations I should have going in and what to expect. Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

Afternoon,

Has anyone had any luck doing fittings, etc at Golftec? We have a fitting place up here called the Green Room that just bought the Golftec license for Canada. They are switching over and will be selling franchise locations. I digress. I know that a few staff memebers will be changing and they'll be altering some business practices to go with the new name. Thus any good experiences with them or am I going to have to do the insane thing and drive down to Seattle?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Afternoon,

Has anyone had any luck doing fittings, etc at Golftec? We have a fitting place up here called the Green Room that just bought the Golftec license for Canada. They are switching over and will be selling franchise locations. I digress. I know that a few staff memebers will be changing and they'll be altering some business practices to go with the new name. Thus any good experiences with them or am I going to have to do the insane thing and drive down to Seattle?

I've never been fitted by one (there aren't any in my area...) but I've emailed them a few times with questions, and they've always been prompt to respond, curteous and very knowledgable. They're Golf magazine's new fitting partner, the stuff they talk about in the magazine is interesting, as well. Based on my stunted experience with them, If I were you, I'd give them a chance.

My experiences with GolfTEC in Schaumburg, IL, have been outstanding. I have helped with many fittings, and I take lessons there. Both pros, Chris and John, are outstanding. If you have any specific questions about their services, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

I long ago learned to pay attention to the person doing the club, not the shop. The shop is just a place that person is working in

I would agree in general, however certain places are much more likely to employ quality professionals then others.

MSaternus: Nothing specific at this time, mostly just looking if they fit my comment above. I've been told the Green room staff are rather good already, just wondered how the shift to Golftec might effect things.

Really I'm looking for loft/lie adjustments and potentially a shaft refitting for the irons. Plus I need a proper driver fitting as I simply cannot find a driver that even matches my fairway. I imagine that's all my swings fault, but I'd like to not be fighting it all the time until I fix it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Really I'm looking for loft/lie adjustments and potentially a shaft refitting for the irons. Plus I need a proper driver fitting as I simply cannot find a driver that even matches my fairway. I imagine that's all my swings fault, but I'd like to not be fighting it all the time until I fix it.

If the GolfTec in your area is anything like the one by me, this will not be a problem at all. I would expect they will discuss some of your swing flaws during the fitting and take them into consideration, by which I mean this: "Here is your flaw. If you want to fix the flaw, I would recommend fitting you into X. If you intend to keep playing without changing that flaw, I would recommend Y." Something along those lines. Every fitting I have seen so far has included some mini lessons from the guys doing the fitting.

There will be a more detailed write up later but for now, these guys really know their stuff. I did the club evaluation last night and found some very interesting information that's going to be both useful in adjusting the clubs and for the swing evaluation I'm doing on the weekend.

Highlights include:

- My angle of attack with every club is downwards and it's causing a lot of distance loss due to losing impact based on hitting the ground and adding a wicked amount of spin on the ball.

- Due to the above, I put waaay to much spin on every single shot. I'm more then a 1000RPM's over on my iron shots and 800ish on the drivers/hybrids and 1500 on the wedges. Eye opening numbers

- I have a pretty high smash factor with all my clubs. Once I sort the angle of attack I should fix a number of the distance issues

- It's amazing how far one delofts the club on the swing naturally

- It's amazing how much variation between a regular flex shaft within the same company. My irons for example run between a 4.4 to 4.9 while the shaft in the Mach Speed hybrid is 3.8. No wonder I couldn't get consistant distances from it.

- Good on nike regarding the stated lofts on my clubs though. They were only off on one club of 7 and only by 1 degree which is an easy fix

- Taylormade makes excellent heads for me, are spot on their lofts but all their shafts need to be pured. Everything is way off on the spine alignment.

- I have a pretty high smash factor with all my clubs. Once I sort the angle of attack I should fix a number of the distance issues

Get that as close to 1.5 as you can and you'll be right where you need to be.

- It's amazing how much variation between a regular flex shaft within the same company. My irons for example run between a 4.4 to 4.9 while the shaft in the Mach Speed hybrid is 3.8. No wonder I couldn't get consistant distances from it.

- Good on nike regarding the stated lofts on my clubs though. They were only off on one club of 7 and only by 1 degree which is an easy fix

That's the manufacturing process at work... it's impossible to keep a 0 tolerance in ANYTHING manufactured... not even computers are perfect (who operates the computer?). It's also why people should take their stuff to a custom club-builder- because the big OEMs mass-produce millions of product a year, it's impossible to make sure everything is absolutely perfect. Some, like you Wincey, get lucky. Others, not so much...

- Taylormade makes excellent heads for me, are spot on their lofts but all their shafts need to be pured. Everything is way off on the spine alignment.

The jury's still out on spining. From my own experience, I don't notice a difference. The shaft flexes in two points in the downswing, so even after all the research I've done on spining, I couldn't tell you how exactly it's supposed to work. There's the spine and one to four (depending on who you ask) "natural bend points". And this doesn't even include FLOing the shaft...

I am glad you had a good experience. I live in the Antarctica-equivilant area of golf stores... the closest Golfsmith is not quite 3 hours away, there's no Golftec, Golf Galaxy, GolfWorks, etc., in sight (there's a Dick's about 1.5 hours, but the one time I went there I realized why there aren't many fans of them here at MGS). My local Dunham's has golf stuff, but nowhere to demo them. The local pro shops carry little (if any) lefty stuff... So in short, I'm jealous ;) .

Get that as close to 1.5 as you can and you'll be right where you need to be.

Average is about 1.35 with irons and 1.46 with fairway/driver which is pretty good for about half a year in the game :D

That's the manufacturing process at work... it's impossible to keep a 0 tolerance in ANYTHING manufactured... not even computers are perfect (who operates the computer?). It's also why people should take their stuff to a custom club-builder- because the big OEMs mass-produce millions of product a year, it's impossible to make sure everything is absolutely perfect. Some, like you Wincey, get lucky. Others, not so much...

Agreed. He talked about that as well and why he was checking each club instead of assuming anything. According to him, Nike is generally pretty bad at keeping things consistent unless it's their blade lines. Appearntly those things are usually dead on.

The jury's still out on spining. From my own experience, I don't notice a difference. The shaft flexes in two points in the downswing, so even after all the research I've done on spining, I couldn't tell you how exactly it's supposed to work. There's the spine and one to four (depending on who you ask) "natural bend points". And this doesn't even include FLOing the shaft...

Seem to make a big difference to me to be honest. We went over where the shaft was bending in my swing and how the head was moving in an oval pattern through my swing which caused an inconsistent contact point. When trying one that was spined properly I was consistently hitting the ball in the same spot on the head which gave me way better accuracy. Either that or I just swalled the Red pill whole! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The wife got me a GolfTec fitting for my birthday, so I'm going to set up my appointment in the next few weeks. I'm giddy with anticipation! I've never been fitted before and I think it will help a lot.

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

• 1 year later...

Got a question for all spies,

My wife finally agreed to let me go get fit for all my clubs (birthday present). I live in WV, so of course I will have to go out of state. I had looked around and the two top places around are GolfTec and Golf Galaxy.

So I was wondering if anyone has had a fitting from golftec? And if so he was there service?

From what I understand Golf Galaxy is the same as Dicks and if that's the case, I will not be going there for sure.

Any suggestion would help!!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I would go with GolfTec based on their reputation. Their system sounds pretty good too. IMO, at Dicks/GG, they're just interested in getting out you quickly. I've done the Dick's "fitting" in the past and can say it was as useful as me just grabbing something off the rack myself.

Edit: I've been to GolfTec. They have all the sensors you can want to measure a swing and their software for matching you to clubheads and shafts seems pretty good. Would like to hear what Matt has to say though.

Here's my take:

At any big box, you're rolling the dice. You could get someone great or you could get someone who doesnt know which end of the club to swing.

At GolfTEC you are guaranteed to work with someone who has had significant training in club fitting and you will get the benefit of the SwingLabs software which will make some really good club recommendations. Also the SwingLabs software will make the "final" decision or recommendation based on DATA.

That said, call the GolfTEC you're looking at and ask them the questions that you would ask anyone else: how many fittings do you do per year? How many different brands/fitting carts do you have access to? Who is the best or most experienced fitter on your staff?

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Thanks for the help Matt and WDgolf

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I got fit at both. Golftec was by far superior. Golf Galaxy is great place to shop, but for teaching or club fitting, you're always at the mercy of the guy who happens to be behind the counter that day.

The guys at Golftec generally are far more experienced. Personally, I didn't like their super-technical teaching methods (just a personal preference) but I would trust their club fitting skills without hesitation.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 5 years later...

So I'm going up to Golftec in Salt Lake City next week and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience working with these guys. I feel like my game has plateaued and thought working with these guys a little bit could help me over the hump. I'd love to hear about your experiences with them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I thought someone would reply to your post by now so I'll jump in with nothing. No, I haven't used GT but I've been interested in them. There isn't one in my town or close by. I do have a friend that has been using GT for a couple of years now down in San Antonio and he really likes it. He's a good player and It's improved his game he tells me.

Good luck with your experience. Let us know what you think about it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kinda the same as Plaid. No personal experience. Have heard mostly good. The only negative I've heard is some think there packages are a bit pricey.

One just opened in my town. So I may at least check it out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived