I've been fitted by then previously and they did a fairly good job. My only issue was I hit only a five iron, driver and pitching wedge and that was my fitting. Their pros seem nice and knowledgeable though and they do have done pretty good success rates

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Well Disappointed this morning.  I got to the store at 7:45 as advised by the instructor, so I could warm up before hand.   Get an automated from GolfTec cancelling the session, immediately followed by a direct email from the instructor that he had car issues and has to cancel the appointment. 

I know stuff comes up that we cant control and I'll reschedule with him as I really want to see what GolfTec is all about, but was very much looking forward to getting some help today..  Guess it will have to wait a week or so. HA!

Had my first Golftec lesson today. He said my grip was good, my posture was ok, he'd like to see me a tad taller (I'm 6'5") even with irons 1/2 over I still hunch over a bit.

So we spent 90% of the time working on my lack of a shoulder turn. This is something I have felt in my swing, but seeing it on video with the degree id turn listed compared to where it used to me was quite shocking. No wonder I've lost 30 to 50 yards on the driver and 20 to 30 yards per iron.

I really like their system and the numbers it gives you and the way he was able to increase my shoulder turn from 79* when I walked in to 87 to 89* after some work. The biggest thing for me is now I know what an 85* shoulder turn feels like. That's the minimum he would like to see.

Sure I felt out of whack and didn't produce great shots right away as it is so much differnwt than where I was coming from before.

I'm thinking hard about the lesson/practice pack. I like the instructor. But it is kinda pricey. But nothing good or worthwhile usually comes cheap.

I'd be interested to here more experiences ...good and bad...of anyone who went with the 3,6 or 12 month package.

• Like 1

I had a great experience at GolfTec when I lived in Minneapolis a few years back. I'll try and give you the Reader's Digest version because the instructional aspect was a 6 month process for me.

When I decided to pull the trigger I was an 18 handicap and was shooting anywhere between 95-100 on average with the random low-90's round in there. I started playing in High School but was always self-taught and honestly never played more than a few times a year until around 5 or 6 years ago when I decided to get more serious about playing and getting better.

First off GolfTec is not cheap and you definitely need to get to know the coach/instructor to see what kind of initial impression you get from him/her. I walked in as an open book and told the guy I wanted to re-build my game. We just connected in our first meeting. He was a no-BS guy, which I really appreciated and gave me a few drills to work on during the free first visit. After that I was sold. However, I have heard of other folks who didn't jive with their instructor and harbored some resentment toward GT because of that. Before you cut that check make sure he/she is someone you see yourself working with for a while.

We spent several weeks basically re-building just my backswing. I was in for a lesson once a week for 6 months and was practicing at least every other day in there. My game actually got worse over that year and my handicap jumped from an 18 to a 20 but my coach kept encouraging me to stick with it because of the major changes we were making. At times my swing felt a bit lost on the course but I kept working on the drills and eventually things came around and I started to make more consistent contact, improved accuracy and added a lot more distance.

Once we got to that point he really focused on repetition and building muscle memuory around the same moves, so most of the swing lesson work was smaller than at first. He then started to add in things like course management and short game to really get my handicap down. I currently play off a 12 handicap and, again, I was a 20 when I was in the lesson program so it definitely helped me to improve.

I really enjoyed my time at GolfTec but, again, I attribute much of that to the fact that my instructor was an awesome guy who I worked well with. It's not a cookie cutter place that will work for everyone, though. The technology they use is cool and was great during my practice sessions and lessons. You get access to all your lessons online so you can review them at anytime. And they will give you lots of drills to work on at home, depending on exactly what you need to be working on.

Going through GT definitely made me a better golfer and has helped me enjoy the game more than ever, so I'm very much an advocate of their programs. Go check it out, see if you like the instructor and decide for yourself. Just be honest about what you want to accomplish and if it doesn't work after that visit then go shop around.

I've been taking lessons at golftec for about 4 seasons now. I love it but I think it has to do more with the coaches there than anything. They do a great job of explaining what I'm doing wrong and right and how to improve. I would recommend them to anyone who ever ask me for lessons.

Can't say that anyone else will have the same experience as me because everyone is different and coaches different.

I'm glad I went back and read these posts.

OH, Sounds like you were coming from a very similar spot where I am right now. Score wise almost identical.

The fact about the instructor is spot on. I felt good about him today. He is kinda like your guy a no BS type. When I took my bag in I still had two drivers in it. He looked at me like....."who do you think you are, phil Mickelson". Ha. When I explained I was just comparing them to see which one I liked better. He said "These are both great drivers, but you do realize it's the swing and not the club?"

I kinda liked that and felt he was going to shoot straight with me. He also didn't sugar coat the current state of my lack of shoulder turn and first asked about any injuries that would prevent me from a bigger turn. We discussed it and he had me try a few turns with that audible beep that let me know when I had reached 85. It was definitely a stretch past where I've been comfortable. But when I saw it on the video, it didn't look like I was trying to imitate DJ or anything. It looked very much like the position I had a few years back. But has just shortened over time.

Like you mentioned he gave me a specific drill I can do daily to work on and measure that, all without even swinging a club.

@Theo...the fact you've stayed with it that long is great and a good indication of how they have helped you. Well Done.

• Like 1

I just wanted to give my .02, I think the technology is useful if used in the right way. I had a guy just out of college, and that just became a Golftec certified instructor. He was a nice guy, but I didn't like his teaching. He didn't give me what I should be feeling to make the proper adjustments in my swing. I am sure with a beginner he would be fine teaching them the basics, but with 20 years of swinging a certain way I need a different type of lesson. I am sure if you got a good coach, the tech would be worth the lesson for the price (a little high for me). I found a pro that I got along with and is very reasonable with his rates that I am very happy with. 

• Like 1

I'll throw my .02 in here, I bought a package from them back in 2013 when I was prepping for a big event I was going to in Myrtle Beach (son of you know what I'm talking about), their packages are pricey and you have to pay all of it in advance instead of paying as you go which I didn't like.

I started the lessons and really got along with my instructor, I was seeing some nice improvements and then they promoted my instructor and moved him to another location and I never got along with the new guy they gave me and never got much more out of it.

I think they are a little over priced and I don't like the fact that you pay it all up front and then you have to use so many lessons in a certain time frame.

Although I still think if I had been with the same instructor the whole time I would have done better.

• Like 2

FWIW Tim I they must have changed the pay up front. The package they quoted me was like 20% upfront the rest over the next 4 months.

Still that was a pretty steep hit.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I went through a six month lesson package about 7 years ago when I was really struggling with my game.  I really liked the instructor I was with initially, but then he changed locations and they put me with someone else who was just starting out and just didn't click with.  He was trying to follow the golfec format for the lessons, which is where you work on something like swing plane, then give you some apparatus to do drills with to improve, show you how much better your swing is by using said apparatus, then summarize the whole thing on video for you.  During the the final few lessons, I started taking more control over what I wanted to learn and had some good lessons.  I started seeing improvement the next season and learned a lot about the swing, but didn't see the kind of improvement I was expecting or paid for.  

Randomly, here are some things I liked/didn't like:

The switching of instructors was terrible.  I was basically assigned another instructor that I had no choice with, which in my mind was basically a waste of money from that point on.

They basically want you to do a lesson once a week, which I didn't like.  I needed time to digest the lessons and that never happened.  They give you so much technical information each lesson, it was impossible to absorb it all until after the 6 months were up.

The technical side of it was daunting.  Telling me the degree of hip bend and turn, explaining to me the difference between the two, informing me what Bubba's hip bend and turn degree is and then trying to get me to get around his numbers was baffling.  

They being said, some of that info sticks with you and makes you a better golfer.  

If anything, I also learned that I like taking lessons outside and only once in a while.  I also learned what works for me and what doesn't. I thereafter took a bunch of lessons indoors with a video set up similar to golftec, but the instructor kept it a lot more simple.  It was very effective.  

Ultimately, it's a lot of money and I would be sure you and the instructor get along very well.  I'd also evaluate whether you like to learn with drills, training aids and a lot of technical information.  If all that clicks for you, it might be worth a try.  

• Like 1

FWIW Tim I they must have changed the pay up front. The package they quoted me was like 20% upfront the rest over the next 4 months.

Still that was a pretty steep hit.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's at least better than when I was doing it, I always thought their payment policy was crazy...most instructors you take a lesson and pay for that lesson and so on

• Like 2

Has anyone used any of golftecs services before? Considering getting one of their packages for lessons and practice. Any thoughts or stories?

Irons: Standard length and Lie

Driver: 10.5 regular flex standard length

Putter: Mallet 35"

RH

NC

20HCP

• Like 1

Alot are going to say they didn't like cause the change you from your swing to the one they teach.

But for me it worked well. I'm a tech & fundamentals guy. I liked the instant video feedback. If it weren't for the back injury I would have stuck with it longer.

Be for warned, it doesn't happen overnight. But it greatly improved my game.

• Like 2

Here is a thread from last year that I and several others chimed in on.  As you will read, I was very interested in it, but just felt it was a bit too expensive.  they offered some good holiday lesson packages, I strongly considered doing one of them that seemed like a good value.    

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18701-golftec/?hl=golftec

• Like 2

I've been a golftec student since 2013 and have enjoyed it very much. It does take some time to get used to the swing changes but I felt it's been worth it.

• Like 3

That's awesome. I'm very interested in it but I'm debating between doing it or getting a lesson package from one of the top teachers here in NC

I will be starting with them in February. (Still on the IR u til then)

I can tell you I went to a free Ping fitting there and the guy I will be getting my lessons from identified flaws in my swing and told me how to correct them.

• Like 1

Has anyone done the 60 minute swing evaluation. They quoted me 120 for it but I could get two lessons for that price.

That's awesome. I'm very interested in it but I'm debating between doing it or getting a lesson package from one of the top teachers here in NC

Aren't you near Charlotte? Does Dana Radar still have a school there. She's supposedly one of the best in the nation let alone NC. Id consider liking at her school.

I've had a GolfTec evaluation, lessons and A fitting and had great success. The instant video feedback is awesome, just worked really well for me. Honestly, check Groupon discounts, as I got a initial swing eval For around $30-$40, then after that I was able to buy a package of lessons which i spread out over 3-4 months.

For me the key was going in to the center in between lessons to use the video feedback.

I know I'm a high capper ( for now), but I was terrible before, shooting in the 120s, now in the 90s..... and improving

• Like 7

I started lessons with GolfTec this past October. Have one lesson about every week. In my case I'm glad they're teaching me their swing because I have never had any meaningful swing instruction. I too like the immediate video feedback as well as the data you get about every swing. I like that my instructor is building a swing and not just putting a bandaid on what I came in with.

Looking forward to my club fitting as well as I'm planning on getting new clubs this spring.

• Like 6

I have taken lessons at Golftec for over a year. After having had lessons in group setting as well as with an individual pro, I liked the detailed focus on how to swing and the positions you should be in. By far the most helpful aspect to me is the live video during practice as the instant feedback helps with the feel vs real that you experience when making changes. It allows you to be able to check that you are implementing the correct changes to your swing without your instructor. I found the price to also be competitive with lessons at the courses near me. The indoor practice is also a bonus for those in colder winter climates or very hot summer climates. There is, however, no secret. It's good instruction with a lot of practice no matter where you choose to take lessons.

• Like 2