Well I thought I'd share my this week with them.    I scheduled an iron fitting with the same guy I had a swing evaluation with last summer.
Let's just say it was a very disappointing session, and instead of writing 10 long paragraphs of everything i thought was wrong with it, I'll go with bullet points and be happy to expand on any individual item if anyone asks or is interested. 
  • Told the fitter I was mainly interested in trying the Mizuno Hot Metal, Forged and Srixon 585.   He said, we only deal with the major companies, so I don't have Srixon.. That was my first WTF? moment.
  • After hearing my handicap and watching a few swings with my baseline club, he said, I think we should stick with the Hot Metal, I dont' think the forged is right for you.   Well, ok truth hurts..but in general I have no problem with that although I would have been curious to hit it.
  • First issue was my baseline, he said I was averaging 113 yards and a 61 mph swing speed with a 7 iron???  
  • I questioned that saying my 7 iron is usually 135'ish and a swing speed of mid 70's, and he said, numbers dont' lie and it "looks about right"  I shrugged ans said oK. 
  • So we went through the following shafts, XP95 Regular Flex, DG 105 R300, PX LZ 5.0 and I asked for recoil 680 and he went to look for it.  By now I was wondering why we weren't using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  While he was gone, I noticed it on a club plugged into the wall charging a low battery...great.  I was the first fitting of the day, it couldn't have been charged overnight!
  • He couldn't find the recoil 680, So I never got to try it, even though I have it in my Bridgestones.  I tried the 95's but they didn't give me great numbers, which I suspected based on previous trials with them. 
  • So the best numbers were with the DG105, my swing speed had gone 'up' to 66 and getting 124...he was excited about my 11 yard increase.  I just shrugged still doubting the numbers.  
  • He then measured my wrist to floor and had it at 40" and said I was playing irons probably an inch too short, that I needed probably 1.5 inches over. ANOTHER WTF moment, I've never had it measured at more than 37.5 to 38.  I know I didn't grow an inch over the past few months.    I told him I used to have 1" over and was hitting those fat, so I moved to 1/2 and for the most part made better contact,  he said that's because you adjusted by hunching over....ok this could be true.  But I've gone to one highly acclaimed fitter at TXG and spoken to one of the industry best shaft fitters Danny Le at UST and both agree 1" over is the max that mot any one that is not an NBA Center should play.   But I've been playing 1/2 inch fine in my last two sets. 
  • Then he broke out the Lie Board....Now I've heard differing options on this, but more than not, I've heard it's an antiqued way of measuring lie.  TXG used the mark on the ball and clubface combined I believe with info from the GC Quad. 
  • He measured Grip and said I should probably be playing mid size plus an extra wrap.  I told him Midsize was as about as large as I wanted to go, he said well that might be Ok, but larger would be optimal. 
  • So for that I had the pleasure of paying $125 and left there not really confident in one thing he said. 

So to satisfy my own curiosity, i went by a driving range where I know the owner and head pro very well.  Asked if they had a few moments to let me hit some shafts with the Hot Metals and possibly forged.   In summary:
  • Even though I didn't ask for a personal fitting, the lead fitter got the shaft optimizer his I pad and went out with me and we got he numbers from 3 different sets of swings.   Tis was cold out of the car with only 5 or 6 warm up swings.  Guess what my swing speed was on the Optimizer,  between 74 and 77 mph.   This was with a 7 iron. My 6 iron fitting at TXG was right around 80 to 81, so that all makes since. 
  • The Optimizer came back with PX LZ 5.5, DG 105 S300, and C Taper Lite 110 Stiff.   So we loaded up the Hot Metal 7 iron with all three and by far the best numbers was the C Taper Lite, giving me anywhere from 134 to 141 yards and I really liked the ball flight. 
  • John had to go do a lesson, and I thanked him profusely and asked how was the fitting.   He said, "you're good to go, you're always welcome here for anything you need"  When I got inside I saw the owner and we chatted a bit and told him hwo great things were and offered again to pay.  He laughed and said, you know better than that.   I asked if I could just try the Forged with the C Taper shaft, just for fun and to scratch my itch.    He said, whatever you want, and told me to help my self at the fitting cart.   So I fixed it up, and went out and hit about 10 balls with it.   Enough to know, I am better off with the HM, I hit them Forged OK and could play them, but I was maybe a club shorter with them  than the HM, so I need all the help I can get.   
*Last note, when i got back to the office I measured my wrist to floor and it was 38.5, a full 1.5 inches off from the GolfTec measurement.  I checked the Mizuno fitting sheet, and low and behold, it recommends 1/2 over for that distance at my height!!

Well, it turned out to be almost as long as if I did a full paragraph right ups.   But I felt obligated to share this GolfTec experience with everyone.  I know it could be a one off, but it has certainly soured me on not only it's fittings, but probably it's lessons or anything to do with that shop.   As they say, Your Mileage My Vary. 
Geez rob your 7i speed is what my 7i speed is when I swing smoothly without trying to hit it harder and my distance is no where near that short. At my slow speed i hit it 157, I'd like to see my full speed swing though never tested that because I hate hitting off of matts

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

36 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Oof that sounds like an experience you'd get from any big box store, and a LOT more expensive.

Yeah, that is a pretty good description, Maybe they put all their focus into getting you into those 6 and 12 month lesson packages, that they don't focus on fittings, I'm fairly certain not only was the info off, but he effort half hearted. 

32 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Geez rob your 7i speed is what my 7i speed is when I swing smoothly without trying to hit it harder and my distance is no where near that short. At my slow speed i hit it 157, I'd like to see my full speed swing though never tested that because I hate hitting off of matts

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, I know I'm not a long hitter, and maybe not even an average length hitter, but I can tell you that if I go out to one of the par 3's on my course that plays 111 yards and hit a 7 iron, it's going to be 20 yards over the flag easily.   I think 111 yard shot on the course, I'm pulling a PW, maybe a 9 iron on some occasions if it's a front or middle flag and I have plenty of room behind it. 

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

Yeah, that is a pretty good description, Maybe they put all their focus into getting you into those 6 and 12 month lesson packages, that they don't focus on fittings, I'm fairly certain not only was the info off, but he effort half hearted. 

Maybe not, but if you aren't impressed with the fitting, you aren't going to buy a year of lessons from them. I also wouldn't want lessons on an LM that I know is inaccurate. 

As an employee, you may not have the best equipment, but you can always give 100% effort. The one thing the "fitter" can always control is his attitude and his customer service. 

• Like 2

Well I thought I'd share my this week with them.    I scheduled an iron fitting with the same guy I had a swing evaluation with last summer.
Let's just say it was a very disappointing session, and instead of writing 10 long paragraphs of everything i thought was wrong with it, I'll go with bullet points and be happy to expand on any individual item if anyone asks or is interested. 
  • Told the fitter I was mainly interested in trying the Mizuno Hot Metal, Forged and Srixon 585.   He said, we only deal with the major companies, so I don't have Srixon.. That was my first WTF? moment.
  • After hearing my handicap and watching a few swings with my baseline club, he said, I think we should stick with the Hot Metal, I dont' think the forged is right for you.   Well, ok truth hurts..but in general I have no problem with that although I would have been curious to hit it.
  • First issue was my baseline, he said I was averaging 113 yards and a 61 mph swing speed with a 7 iron???  
  • I questioned that saying my 7 iron is usually 135'ish and a swing speed of mid 70's, and he said, numbers dont' lie and it "looks about right"  I shrugged ans said oK. 
  • So we went through the following shafts, XP95 Regular Flex, DG 105 R300, PX LZ 5.0 and I asked for recoil 680 and he went to look for it.  By now I was wondering why we weren't using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  While he was gone, I noticed it on a club plugged into the wall charging a low battery...great.  I was the first fitting of the day, it couldn't have been charged overnight!
  • He couldn't find the recoil 680, So I never got to try it, even though I have it in my Bridgestones.  I tried the 95's but they didn't give me great numbers, which I suspected based on previous trials with them. 
  • So the best numbers were with the DG105, my swing speed had gone 'up' to 66 and getting 124...he was excited about my 11 yard increase.  I just shrugged still doubting the numbers.  
  • He then measured my wrist to floor and had it at 40" and said I was playing irons probably an inch too short, that I needed probably 1.5 inches over. ANOTHER WTF moment, I've never had it measured at more than 37.5 to 38.  I know I didn't grow an inch over the past few months.    I told him I used to have 1" over and was hitting those fat, so I moved to 1/2 and for the most part made better contact,  he said that's because you adjusted by hunching over....ok this could be true.  But I've gone to one highly acclaimed fitter at TXG and spoken to one of the industry best shaft fitters Danny Le at UST and both agree 1" over is the max that mot any one that is not an NBA Center should play.   But I've been playing 1/2 inch fine in my last two sets. 
  • Then he broke out the Lie Board....Now I've heard differing options on this, but more than not, I've heard it's an antiqued way of measuring lie.  TXG used the mark on the ball and clubface combined I believe with info from the GC Quad. 
  • He measured Grip and said I should probably be playing mid size plus an extra wrap.  I told him Midsize was as about as large as I wanted to go, he said well that might be Ok, but larger would be optimal. 
  • So for that I had the pleasure of paying $125 and left there not really confident in one thing he said. 

So to satisfy my own curiosity, i went by a driving range where I know the owner and head pro very well.  Asked if they had a few moments to let me hit some shafts with the Hot Metals and possibly forged.   In summary:
  • Even though I didn't ask for a personal fitting, the lead fitter got the shaft optimizer his I pad and went out with me and we got he numbers from 3 different sets of swings.   Tis was cold out of the car with only 5 or 6 warm up swings.  Guess what my swing speed was on the Optimizer,  between 74 and 77 mph.   This was with a 7 iron. My 6 iron fitting at TXG was right around 80 to 81, so that all makes since. 
  • The Optimizer came back with PX LZ 5.5, DG 105 S300, and C Taper Lite 110 Stiff.   So we loaded up the Hot Metal 7 iron with all three and by far the best numbers was the C Taper Lite, giving me anywhere from 134 to 141 yards and I really liked the ball flight. 
  • John had to go do a lesson, and I thanked him profusely and asked how was the fitting.   He said, "you're good to go, you're always welcome here for anything you need"  When I got inside I saw the owner and we chatted a bit and told him hwo great things were and offered again to pay.  He laughed and said, you know better than that.   I asked if I could just try the Forged with the C Taper shaft, just for fun and to scratch my itch.    He said, whatever you want, and told me to help my self at the fitting cart.   So I fixed it up, and went out and hit about 10 balls with it.   Enough to know, I am better off with the HM, I hit them Forged OK and could play them, but I was maybe a club shorter with them  than the HM, so I need all the help I can get.   
*Last note, when i got back to the office I measured my wrist to floor and it was 38.5, a full 1.5 inches off from the GolfTec measurement.  I checked the Mizuno fitting sheet, and low and behold, it recommends 1/2 over for that distance at my height!!

Well, it turned out to be almost as long as if I did a full paragraph right ups.   But I felt obligated to share this GolfTec experience with everyone.  I know it could be a one off, but it has certainly soured me on not only it's fittings, but probably it's lessons or anything to do with that shop.   As they say, Your Mileage My Vary. 

Wow what a crappy experience. Just think about all the golf 'novices' and the bad info they got. They'll be wondering for the longest time why they can't hit the ball. If I was running Golftec I'd be concerned about reputation with an experience like you had.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Maybe not, but if you aren't impressed with the fitting, you aren't going to buy a year of lessons from them. I also wouldn't want lessons on an LM that I know is inaccurate. 

As an employee, you may not have the best equipment, but you can always give 100% effort. The one thing the "fitter" can always control is his attitude and his customer service. 

You're like 15 years old, correct? You really seem wise beyond your years. Too bad more people your age don't have your kind of perspective.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Such a great comment right there, couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

You're like 15 years old, correct? You really seem wise beyond your years. Too bad more people your age don't have your kind of perspective.

I believe your are correct and I've commented similarly in the past.   And I'll go a step beyond, too bad more people twice and three times his age don't have his perspective!   

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy Rob said:

I believe your are correct and I've commented similarly in the past.   And I'll go a step beyond, too bad more people twice and three times his age don't have his perspective!   

Yes, I am 15 years old.

Thank y'all for the kind words, I appreciate it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yes, I am 15 years old.

Thank y'all for the kind words, I appreciate it. 

Unfortunately, it's a rare trait. 

Get used to being the mature one in the room.  We don't get better as we get older....

• Like 5

That sucks Rob, glad the other place helped you out though. For the golftec guy to be so non caring must mean he isn’t fit for that type of job

• Like 3

That sucks Rob, glad the other place helped you out though. For the golftec guy to be so non caring must mean he isn’t fit for that type of job

I see what you did there

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing
  • Like 2