TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Flights (High/Low)

I've been reading some various topics lately.  Some people complain/brag about high and low ball flights. I have dynamic gold 105 shafts in my irons, which are billed as a low launch shaft.  Still I hit most clubs in the 80-100' height (depending on the quality of the strike).  I considered this a bit of a high ball flight, but after reading figure it is about average.  From what I've read the pros typically have a peak height of about 90' for most clubs on most shots.  My question is what constitutes a high or low ball flight?  Is it peak height, how quickly it gets up or are we talking about descent angle? 

Are people hitting a lot higher than this on most iron shots?  Are people hitting way lower than this on most shots? 

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

Another question is are you happy with your current ball flight?   Do you wish it was something different and why?

Too high or low is dependent on whether it impacts optimal distance. Above 100’ for most amateurs with 100 mph swings or less will probably see negative impacts. There’s pros that are in the 120’ range like Bryson Theres some in the high 80s and low 90s

The ball needs to stay on the air to get its distance. One has to look at launch and spin along with descent/land angle to see if they are too high or too low but in general 90-99’ is optimal

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I used to severely dislike my high ball flight, and in super windy conditions it would probably cost me quite a few strokes.  I went about 3 months a few years ago trying to lower my ball flight.  It led to some really terrible golf.  

If the height is not costing you anything, work with it.  I played 9 holes with my dads old league partner last week, he was purposely hitting low shots every time, maybe hit one GIR.  Couldn’t hold them for nothing, but then made fun of how high I hit it while I hit most of them.

Use what you got, especially if it is working for you.

I don't have any specific issues with my ball flight, I hit pretty hard so it seems to cut through the wind pretty well.  Obviously there are times to "flight" a ball higher or lower.  Mostly just curious what others think about it.  

I hit the ball around 110' high on most my irons and my driver can get upwards of 140', but probably avg around 120'. Most of the time this doesn't bother me too much. While I know I am loosing a bit of distance, I hit it far enough (for the courses I play) that it isn't worth changing my swing too much for it. When I play in windy conditions I can flight it down a little by hitting it more like a punch, but it ends up being "low" for me and about the same height as my friends normal flight. I guess thats why I have 14 clubs...if one is too short, hit the next one.

I mess with ball selection a bit to get a lower launch (normally play a Bridgestone B XS, or AVX - but my last round was with the left dash and the height didn't bother me too much), and my driver is set up to a 7.25*. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 
2 hours ago, Shankster said:

...but then made fun of how high I hit it while I hit most of them.

I play with a guy who comments after almost all my driver shots "yeah but it went too high"...Too bad I was in the fairway and further than him most the time...

I agree with you. Just play what works for you. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

I like a high ball flight, if I hit the ball low. I lose distance, driver and irons.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter

I would like to be able to vary my ball flight from very high to very low. Unfortunately, my only options are between medium height and worm burner. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

I play with a guy who comments after almost all my driver shots "yeah but it went too high"...Too bad I was in the fairway and further than him most the time...

I agree with you. Just play what works for you. 

I quit trying to shape shots all the time a while ago, but man… I’ve been working on this little rope hook 3 iron that will run for a year on a fairway that has been cut in the last week.  Going to be my fairway finder on Sunday morning.  If the wind is the same as it is today, the back 9 will be brutal, it’s a faux links course, wide open and the longest of them will be into the wind.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

Another question is are you happy with your current ball flight?   Do you wish it was something different and why?

Jonny Crash:  I appreciate the tone of your query, and that you have no strong opinion on this one way or the other from your comments. This would fall into the category of things I stress to people NOT to think about. 

I understand that You yourself are not promoting over thinking this or anything else.!

My ball flight is yet another one of the MANY things in the game of golf, that I honestly have not given ANY THOUGHT TO!  Right up there with swing plane, launch angle, spin rate, take away, wrist break, transition move, etc. etc.   My ball flight may be costing me distance for all I know, maybe if I worked on it I could hit my 56 degree sand wedge lower and get it to go 100 yards instead of the 85 that it does.  But that is what I have a 52 degree wedge for.

See ball, Hit ball, that's my motto.  My swing is what it is.  If one club goes to high given my swing to reach the green, from a given distance, then I use the next lower number club in my bag.  That's my ball flight thought.  

The less thinking I do on specific golf topics, the better I seem to play the game. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

48 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

See ball, Hit ball, that's my motto.  My swing is what it is. 

I'm the same. I tend to hit the ball pretty high. How high? I have no clue. There are times I wish I could hit a wind-cheating stinger, but I have bigger fish to fry when I do have time to practice (and the wind in NE Ohio is rarely something to really worry about). If I ever get to the point of having a repeatable swing and ball-striking, maybe I'll think about messing around with working the ball high and low, but that time is not now.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

29 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

If I ever get to the point of having a repeatable swing and ball-striking, maybe I'll think about messing around with working the ball high and low, but that time is not now.

I think this is key. It is important to know WHEN to focus on different things. If you don't have a repeatable swing you CAN'T and shouldn't work on certain things. Once you have a relatively consistent motion you can start to tweak things to optimize it. 

I've always had a very high ball flight such that I'm not optimizing my performance. I learned how to hit really high by growing up in Houston with lots of tall pine trees and then when I went to college and had to play in 40+mph winds, I really struggled. In most conditions, I don't mind hitting it high, except that it means I'm giving up yardage and am typically a full club shorter than guys with comparable swing speeds and I also have trouble holding greens when hitting less than about 6i (steep descent angle means it doesn't take much spin to rip). 

I can, however, stop a 4 iron within about 5 feet... so it's not all bad I suppose 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review