Club Build & Repair

Club Build & Repair  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently or have you ever done club build and/or repair?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If no, have you ever had the hankering to do so?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If yes, do you only do your own clubs or also work on others?

• Only my clubs
    • Mine and others
  4. 4. What goy you interested in doing it?

• Saving money
    • Just for fun
    • Wanted more control over build
    • One or more of these

My recent bad experience with a custom club build, along with a long interest in doing so, has me thinking about setting up a club build and repair bench. The ZX5's I just received from Fairway Jockey were top shelf build quality - seriously, I mean not a blemish.  My wife and I were just talking about this whole recent escapade (my pleasant way of saying it) and she asked "why I don't build my own clubs"... hmmm 🤔

For many years, I built custom fly rods for myself and others.  At one point, I was going at it like a part time job.  I really enjoy doing detailed work and especially crafts that involve some technical prowess. I'm not thinking about doing this for profit, but rather just to test out various clubs via buying used and re-shafting, changing specs, grips, etc. If I were to get good enough at it, perhaps offer to others at cost?

Anyway, I know there are some spies that do this to varying degrees and was hoping to get some insights from you.  What primary pieces of equipment are needed, which make/models are worth having (I don't want junk stuff), and about how much money should one expect to spend setting up a quality build/repair bench?  I haven't started doing searches for this information and undoubtedly there is plenty out there... but when we want to good dope on a subject (not only golf related in many cases), start at MGS!

• Like 6

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I built my Maltby DBM's and then reshafted them with graphite shafts after taking out the steel ones.

As far as equipment needed, at a minimum, you'd need a vice, rubber shaft holder for the vice, either a hacksaw with a metal blade and a graphite cutting blade or a dremel with a cutoff wheel (my choice), ferrules, club bore honing tool and club epoxy. If you want to go fancy, look at GolfWorks club building supplies section and go nuts. With the ferrules, if you want them flush, you need a way to be able to turn them, but I never bothered.

• Like 4

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I learned with a workbench, a vice and a shaft clamp so I could do my own grips.  A deep hook blade for a carpet knife prevents scratching the shaft when removing grips and a little bit of patience goes a LONG way.

After I gained my confidence, I began to watch my grandfather and the club builders at the shop where I worked.  I would do most of my club work at the shop where I worked and recently, inherited my grandfather's workbench.  From there, building and re-shafting meant buying some additional tools.  Pipe cutter (cutting steel shafts to length, propane torch, a mallet and while some use the head of a club to install a ferrule, I found a jig that gets me my preferred depth.

Once you have that, be sure you have a dedicated amount of space to work...preferably immune to temperature and humidity spikes.

I've built and repaired plenty in 20 years.  My current work is limited to new grips for me and friends / family and re-shafting wedges from a retail shop and installing a longer wedge shaft for length.

I love reading posts like this and wish you the best!  It's truly worth it.

• Like 7
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I started with some older clubs that need need a shaft repair my dad was like 100% as can do it you need epoxy to mix.. so I had him as a guide which help .. after that it was off to the races and I have reshafted multiple irons and Bc of this forum started Doug doing grips with the air gun. Also this forum helped me with questions I had with ferrules and other minor stuff. I want to get into bending lofts but that’s something that can wait would need more learning / tools for that 

• Like 5

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I learned with a workbench, a vice and a shaft clamp so I could do my own grips.  A deep hook blade for a carpet knife prevents scratching the shaft when removing grips and a little bit of patience goes a LONG way.

After I gained my confidence, I began to watch my grandfather and the club builders at the shop where I worked.  I would do most of my club work at the shop where I worked and recently, inherited my grandfather's workbench.  From there, building and re-shafting meant buying some additional tools.  Pipe cutter (cutting steel shafts to length, propane torch, a mallet and while some use the head of a club to install a ferrule, I found a jig that gets me my preferred depth.

Once you have that, be sure you have a dedicated amount of space to work...preferably immune to temperature and humidity spikes.

I've built and repaired plenty in 20 years.  My current work is limited to new grips for me and friends / family and re-shafting wedges from a retail shop and installing a longer wedge shaft for length.

I love reading posts like this and wish you the best!  It's truly worth it.

Thanks for the insight. I’ve toyed with getting into this a bit more. How do you finish your ferrules? To date I’ve only re-gripped clubs. Which was much easier than expected.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/HZRDUS Smoke Black

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 Irons 5 - Gap w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54° W-Grind w/KBS HI-REV 2.0 105

Evnroll ER7 34”

Kirkland Signature V2.0 3 piece 

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

43 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Thanks for the insight. I’ve toyed with getting into this a bit more. How do you finish your ferrules? To date I’ve only re-gripped clubs. Which was much easier than expected.

Glad to help.  I figure with a post like this, folks can pick and choose from certain people what works and doesn't.  I like what @Nolan220 mentioned above about starting with older clubs to get the skills down.

I'll clamp it in the vice and tape the hosel with painters tape.  Then I'll take a 200 grit paper and carefully rub the paper just so the ferrule is barely proud of the hosel.  Then I finish it with some acetone on a towel.  

• Like 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

50 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Glad to help.  I figure with a post like this, folks can pick and choose from certain people what works and doesn't.  I like what @Nolan220 mentioned above about starting with older clubs to get the skills down.

I'll clamp it in the vice and tape the hosel with painters tape.  Then I'll take a 200 grit paper and carefully rub the paper just so the ferrule is barely proud of the hosel.  Then I finish it with some acetone on a towel.  

Yeah the older club route is a safe way to go I just reshaft my games and I was impressed didn’t mess any up lol

• Like 3

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

From your back ground, you'll be a good candidate as a golf equipment hobbyist. 

It does not take a large investment at the beginning, but, it could snow ball into something quite expensive.    I believe the cost of somewhere in the neighborhood of half a dozen green fees should get you started,  There are tons of DIY online, but, keep in mind, as of all the online DIY video, some are excellent and some are just not a good example.

Golf forums are a great place to ask questions That's how I got started 20 years ago.

• Like 4

I just found this old thread from 2010. 

I've not heard of Mitchell equipment but it sounds like they are considered top shelf.  Sounds like they occasionally have used/certified loft/lie machines available.  The "True Blue" mentioned is a company called MR 3.  

• Like 3

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The McGolf Channel is a good youtube channel to watch for tips & tricks and you can see what equipment he has in his shop.  In addition to the tools I saw mentioned above, a good shaft puller will be necessary to work with graphite.  

• Like 7

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

29 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

The McGolf Channel is a good youtube channel to watch for tips & tricks and you can see what equipment he has in his shop.  In addition to the tools I saw mentioned above, a good shaft puller will be necessary to work with graphite.  

Yes, I have seen some of his videos and they are quite good.

I started looking at shaft pullers as well and some discussions about threaded vs. hydraulic. Part of the fun in doing this will be the "garage sale" hunt for some good/used equipment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

One of the indispensable golf club making tools is, the caliper .  Instead of sanding down the larger OD of a ferrule to fit, one could order the correct size of ID/OD of the ferrule and having not to do the adjustment later.  Traditional way is to "turn down " the ferrule with a linen belt .    "digital" Caliper is also handy with measuring the shaft tip/hosel sizes.   Experienced club makers usually could eyeball the different tip size but to confirm , this is one of the most valuable tool besides the tools to take clubs apart.

Also another tip for you, which is that, one does not need to have all those dedicated tools made for golf club repair.  Look around your existing tools in the workshop, often times one will find tools which will serve the purpose just as well.  Ask yourself what is to be accomplished and how would the process be ?  Look at the dedicated tools and what's around your own tool box or a substitute from hardware store.  Of course, each one of us has different ability to improvise, and make do.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

It's one of the online channel I prescribe, Jim is an experienced club maker . 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I started looking at shaft pullers as well and some discussions about threaded vs. hydraulic. Part of the fun in doing this will be the "garage sale" hunt for some good/used equipment.

If one is not looking to get into volume work of pulling graphite shafts, the manual puller is quite adequate for pulling a few shafts for the hobbyist.    However, there is no comparison using the hydraulic puller, which is much easier to operate, but it will need maintenance and replacement down the road.   

• Like 1

I'll admit I jumped in without a lot of practice and have built my last two sets of irons. I actually just finished a third set of irons, a Frankenstein'ed set of Hogan Edge CFTs with Ping AWT shafts for my brother-in-law last week.

I don't have a lot of "real" equipment, but consider these to be the essentials that I do own:

• Golfworks Swingweight Scale (the cheapest one they have)
  • Golfworks Vise-mounted Shaft Puller
  • Utility Knife with Hook Blade
  • 6" Metal Cutoff Saw (Harbor Freight)
  • Butane Pencil Torch (Harbor Freight)
  • DIY Club Length Ruler 

About $300 or so in investment.

You can spend a lot more, and I've accumulated other things over the years. But you can do a lot with just the list above.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.3 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 12, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Going to be upgrading the work bench I use soon to something better, but still small in size. Also, going to stop messing around with cheaper pullers and have this on the way: 

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/re-shafting/shaft-pullers/steelclub-graphite-shaft-puller-commercial-e-z-model/

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

1 hour ago, edingc said:

This is what I used to make my ruler last year .. I search the forum and replicated what you did .. Thanks !

• Like 2

I have a monday live stream that talks to golf club fitting and repairs among other things.

If you have question join us on the youtube channel "mcgolf custom clubs" at 1730 or 530 pm eastern.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

This one was so dang good I decided to copy it here.  Simple, cheap, and effective.  Red Green would be beaming proud. 😆

The Red Green Show (TV Series 1991–2006) - IMDb

• Like 2