TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Build & Repair

Club Build & Repair  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently or have you ever done club build and/or repair?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If no, have you ever had the hankering to do so?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If yes, do you only do your own clubs or also work on others?

• Only my clubs
    • Mine and others
  4. 4. What goy you interested in doing it?

• Saving money
    • Just for fun
    • Wanted more control over build
    • One or more of these

My recent bad experience with a custom club build, along with a long interest in doing so, has me thinking about setting up a club build and repair bench. The ZX5's I just received from Fairway Jockey were top shelf build quality - seriously, I mean not a blemish.  My wife and I were just talking about this whole recent escapade (my pleasant way of saying it) and she asked "why I don't build my own clubs"... hmmm 🤔

For many years, I built custom fly rods for myself and others.  At one point, I was going at it like a part time job.  I really enjoy doing detailed work and especially crafts that involve some technical prowess. I'm not thinking about doing this for profit, but rather just to test out various clubs via buying used and re-shafting, changing specs, grips, etc. If I were to get good enough at it, perhaps offer to others at cost?

Anyway, I know there are some spies that do this to varying degrees and was hoping to get some insights from you.  What primary pieces of equipment are needed, which make/models are worth having (I don't want junk stuff), and about how much money should one expect to spend setting up a quality build/repair bench?  I haven't started doing searches for this information and undoubtedly there is plenty out there... but when we want to good dope on a subject (not only golf related in many cases), start at MGS!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I built my Maltby DBM's and then reshafted them with graphite shafts after taking out the steel ones.

As far as equipment needed, at a minimum, you'd need a vice, rubber shaft holder for the vice, either a hacksaw with a metal blade and a graphite cutting blade or a dremel with a cutoff wheel (my choice), ferrules, club bore honing tool and club epoxy. If you want to go fancy, look at GolfWorks club building supplies section and go nuts. With the ferrules, if you want them flush, you need a way to be able to turn them, but I never bothered.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I learned with a workbench, a vice and a shaft clamp so I could do my own grips.  A deep hook blade for a carpet knife prevents scratching the shaft when removing grips and a little bit of patience goes a LONG way.

After I gained my confidence, I began to watch my grandfather and the club builders at the shop where I worked.  I would do most of my club work at the shop where I worked and recently, inherited my grandfather's workbench.  From there, building and re-shafting meant buying some additional tools.  Pipe cutter (cutting steel shafts to length, propane torch, a mallet and while some use the head of a club to install a ferrule, I found a jig that gets me my preferred depth.

Once you have that, be sure you have a dedicated amount of space to work...preferably immune to temperature and humidity spikes.

I've built and repaired plenty in 20 years.  My current work is limited to new grips for me and friends / family and re-shafting wedges from a retail shop and installing a longer wedge shaft for length.

I love reading posts like this and wish you the best!  It's truly worth it.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I started with some older clubs that need need a shaft repair my dad was like 100% as can do it you need epoxy to mix.. so I had him as a guide which help .. after that it was off to the races and I have reshafted multiple irons and Bc of this forum started Doug doing grips with the air gun. Also this forum helped me with questions I had with ferrules and other minor stuff. I want to get into bending lofts but that’s something that can wait would need more learning / tools for that 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I learned with a workbench, a vice and a shaft clamp so I could do my own grips.  A deep hook blade for a carpet knife prevents scratching the shaft when removing grips and a little bit of patience goes a LONG way.

After I gained my confidence, I began to watch my grandfather and the club builders at the shop where I worked.  I would do most of my club work at the shop where I worked and recently, inherited my grandfather's workbench.  From there, building and re-shafting meant buying some additional tools.  Pipe cutter (cutting steel shafts to length, propane torch, a mallet and while some use the head of a club to install a ferrule, I found a jig that gets me my preferred depth.

Once you have that, be sure you have a dedicated amount of space to work...preferably immune to temperature and humidity spikes.

I've built and repaired plenty in 20 years.  My current work is limited to new grips for me and friends / family and re-shafting wedges from a retail shop and installing a longer wedge shaft for length.

I love reading posts like this and wish you the best!  It's truly worth it.

Thanks for the insight. I’ve toyed with getting into this a bit more. How do you finish your ferrules? To date I’ve only re-gripped clubs. Which was much easier than expected.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

43 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Thanks for the insight. I’ve toyed with getting into this a bit more. How do you finish your ferrules? To date I’ve only re-gripped clubs. Which was much easier than expected.

Glad to help.  I figure with a post like this, folks can pick and choose from certain people what works and doesn't.  I like what @Nolan220 mentioned above about starting with older clubs to get the skills down.

I'll clamp it in the vice and tape the hosel with painters tape.  Then I'll take a 200 grit paper and carefully rub the paper just so the ferrule is barely proud of the hosel.  Then I finish it with some acetone on a towel.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

50 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Glad to help.  I figure with a post like this, folks can pick and choose from certain people what works and doesn't.  I like what @Nolan220 mentioned above about starting with older clubs to get the skills down.

I'll clamp it in the vice and tape the hosel with painters tape.  Then I'll take a 200 grit paper and carefully rub the paper just so the ferrule is barely proud of the hosel.  Then I finish it with some acetone on a towel.  

Yeah the older club route is a safe way to go I just reshaft my games and I was impressed didn’t mess any up lol

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

From your back ground, you'll be a good candidate as a golf equipment hobbyist. 

It does not take a large investment at the beginning, but, it could snow ball into something quite expensive.    I believe the cost of somewhere in the neighborhood of half a dozen green fees should get you started,  There are tons of DIY online, but, keep in mind, as of all the online DIY video, some are excellent and some are just not a good example.

Golf forums are a great place to ask questions That's how I got started 20 years ago.

I just found this old thread from 2010. 

I've not heard of Mitchell equipment but it sounds like they are considered top shelf.  Sounds like they occasionally have used/certified loft/lie machines available.  The "True Blue" mentioned is a company called MR 3.  

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The McGolf Channel is a good youtube channel to watch for tips & tricks and you can see what equipment he has in his shop.  In addition to the tools I saw mentioned above, a good shaft puller will be necessary to work with graphite.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

29 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

The McGolf Channel is a good youtube channel to watch for tips & tricks and you can see what equipment he has in his shop.  In addition to the tools I saw mentioned above, a good shaft puller will be necessary to work with graphite.  

Yes, I have seen some of his videos and they are quite good.

I started looking at shaft pullers as well and some discussions about threaded vs. hydraulic. Part of the fun in doing this will be the "garage sale" hunt for some good/used equipment.

12 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

One of the indispensable golf club making tools is, the caliper .  Instead of sanding down the larger OD of a ferrule to fit, one could order the correct size of ID/OD of the ferrule and having not to do the adjustment later.  Traditional way is to "turn down " the ferrule with a linen belt .    "digital" Caliper is also handy with measuring the shaft tip/hosel sizes.   Experienced club makers usually could eyeball the different tip size but to confirm , this is one of the most valuable tool besides the tools to take clubs apart.

Also another tip for you, which is that, one does not need to have all those dedicated tools made for golf club repair.  Look around your existing tools in the workshop, often times one will find tools which will serve the purpose just as well.  Ask yourself what is to be accomplished and how would the process be ?  Look at the dedicated tools and what's around your own tool box or a substitute from hardware store.  Of course, each one of us has different ability to improvise, and make do.    

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

It's one of the online channel I prescribe, Jim is an experienced club maker . 

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I started looking at shaft pullers as well and some discussions about threaded vs. hydraulic. Part of the fun in doing this will be the "garage sale" hunt for some good/used equipment.

If one is not looking to get into volume work of pulling graphite shafts, the manual puller is quite adequate for pulling a few shafts for the hobbyist.    However, there is no comparison using the hydraulic puller, which is much easier to operate, but it will need maintenance and replacement down the road.   

I'll admit I jumped in without a lot of practice and have built my last two sets of irons. I actually just finished a third set of irons, a Frankenstein'ed set of Hogan Edge CFTs with Ping AWT shafts for my brother-in-law last week.

I don't have a lot of "real" equipment, but consider these to be the essentials that I do own:

• Golfworks Swingweight Scale (the cheapest one they have)
  • Golfworks Vise-mounted Shaft Puller
  • Utility Knife with Hook Blade
  • 6" Metal Cutoff Saw (Harbor Freight)
  • Butane Pencil Torch (Harbor Freight)
  • DIY Club Length Ruler 

About $300 or so in investment.

You can spend a lot more, and I've accumulated other things over the years. But you can do a lot with just the list above.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Going to be upgrading the work bench I use soon to something better, but still small in size. Also, going to stop messing around with cheaper pullers and have this on the way: 

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/re-shafting/shaft-pullers/steelclub-graphite-shaft-puller-commercial-e-z-model/

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, edingc said:

This is what I used to make my ruler last year .. I search the forum and replicated what you did .. Thanks !

I have a monday live stream that talks to golf club fitting and repairs among other things.

If you have question join us on the youtube channel "mcgolf custom clubs" at 1730 or 530 pm eastern.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

This one was so dang good I decided to copy it here.  Simple, cheap, and effective.  Red Green would be beaming proud. 😆

The Red Green Show (TV Series 1991–2006) - IMDb

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Going to be upgrading the work bench I use soon to something better, but still small in size. Also, going to stop messing around with cheaper pullers and have this on the way: 

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/re-shafting/shaft-pullers/steelclub-graphite-shaft-puller-commercial-e-z-model/

Let us know how you like it, that's the one I've been eyeballing. I'm approaching this like I did with my recent iron upgrades... should have the new bench all set-up by next spring at the latest 🤣.

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Let us know how you like it, that's the one I've been eyeballing. I'm approaching this like I did with my recent iron upgrades... should have the new bench all set-up by next spring at the latest 🤣.

For sure, will let you know how well it works. I have some old crap shafts with tips on them, so will give it a try even though i am not building anything at the moment. 

Also, im always trying to get a deal so I had asked Mitchell Golf if they have any coupon codes. They said no but gave me free shipping if I called them to place the order. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

• 2 weeks later...

Electric heat gun, butane, propane, or oxy-acetylene (LOL)... which do you use/suggest for shaft pulls?

On 7/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Electric heat gun, butane, propane, or oxy-acetylene (LOL)... which do you use/suggest for shaft pulls?

Ive done the heat gun and the butane torch and go with the butane about 90% of the time.  I feel like I got much more control of the heat this way. The other 10% of the time I go back to the heat gun just to remind myself why I like the butane much better.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Do you guys prefer this in-line style

image.png.4117242cfdba443765cdccda54aacdf1.png

or this pistol grip?

image.png.77d1e9b735d94b57b6b201d9ffe7cd23.png

I decided on the Golfworks Enhanced Shaft Puller.  The spring pre-load feature makes sense, allowing one to focus on applying the minimal heat needed to break the adhesive bond.  I also like that it can be bench mounted or used in a vise. The reviews on this and the standard (no preload) version were excellent - both on the GW website and other sources.  

I also picked up one of the aluminum 48" scales and the ferrule install tool @Kenny Brecommended.  Perhaps most significant is that I created a GW's account... this could end up being one of the most costly money savings endeavors ever 😲@dlow206and I will have to compare ledgers at some point to see who is bleeding red the worst 🤣.

image.png.e8b4ca0191e2d2c6dafc4688169b62e5.png

On 7/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I've tried both.  I use a propane micro torch.  Lots of heat and easy to control just where you want it.  Heat gun takes too long IMHO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 7/31/2021 at 2:23 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Do you guys prefer this in-line style

image.png.4117242cfdba443765cdccda54aacdf1.png

or this pistol grip?

image.png.77d1e9b735d94b57b6b201d9ffe7cd23.png

I use the one sold by Pure Grips, but I got mine free years ago with my grip order.  I haven't seen them make that offer since.  It's a pistol grip, and I like it better for applying a little force when installing grips, but I'm sure the in-line works just fine.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

The air nozzle, extra shaft vise clamp, and grip solvent came today.  The digital scale is due to arrive Wednesday.  The DIY (wooden) shaft measuring jig is done.  Still waiting on ETA for the shaft extractor from Golfworks.  

I bid on a Mitchell Digital Tour Loft Lie machine but bailed at $700... it sold for $1315 😲.  I'm considering one of the units from Golfworks but they are out of stock with estimated arrival in October... so that search continues.

First project is re-gripping my driver, 3w and 5w.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The air nozzle, extra shaft vise clamp, and grip solvent came today.  The digital scale is due to arrive Wednesday.  The DIY (wooden) shaft measuring jig is done.  Still waiting on ETA for the shaft extractor from Golfworks.  

I bid on a Mitchell Digital Tour Loft Lie machine but bailed at $700... it sold for $1315 😲.  I'm considering one of the units from Golfworks but they are out of stock with estimated arrival in October... so that search continues.

First project is re-gripping my driver, 3w and 5w.

I had been looking at those Mitchell Digital machines on the Bay as well. I would like a loft lie machine but not ready to pull the trigger yet. Maybe if my business takes off more. 

One thing I love is the quick clamp from Golf Works. Was over $100 but being able to throw a shaft in and clamp it quickly is awesome. Oh, and the double sided tape dispenser so you don't have to peel the backing on strips of tape. 

Updated 07/15/2022