TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Build & Repair

Club Build & Repair  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently or have you ever done club build and/or repair?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If no, have you ever had the hankering to do so?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If yes, do you only do your own clubs or also work on others?

• Only my clubs
    • Mine and others
  4. 4. What goy you interested in doing it?

• Saving money
    • Just for fun
    • Wanted more control over build
    • One or more of these

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I had been looking at those Mitchell Digital machines on the Bay as well. I would like a loft lie machine but not ready to pull the trigger yet. Maybe if my business takes off more. 

One thing I love is the quick clamp from Golf Works. Was over $100 but being able to throw a shaft in and clamp it quickly is awesome. Oh, and the double sided tape dispenser so you don't have to peel the backing on strips of tape. 

The whole time I was bidding, I kept thinking of you and that we might be dueling it out on the same unit 😆.  That Mitchel unit new is $2035.  Yea, I'm in the same boat... the LL Bend machine will undoubtedly take some time.  @McGolfrecommended the $800 unit from GW's but their out of stock until mid October (and we know how accurate inventory estimates have been).  You being in Puget Sound have a pretty good chance of finding one on CL.  

So you're doing grip installs with solvent vs. air?  I'm going to start with the air method using painters tape and a very small amount of the Brampton solution that came with the nozzle kit.  I'm pretty sure my swing speed will not test the integrity of the air install and I like the less messy aspect.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

45 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The whole time I was bidding, I kept thinking of you and that we might be dueling it out on the same unit 😆.  That Mitchel unit new is $2035.  Yea, I'm in the same boat... the LL Bend machine will undoubtedly take some time.  @McGolfrecommended the $800 unit from GW's but their out of stock until mid October (and we know how accurate inventory estimates have been).  You being in Puget Sound have a pretty good chance of finding one on CL.  

So you're doing grip installs with solvent vs. air?  I'm going to start with the air method using painters tape and a very small amount of the Brampton solution that came with the nozzle kit.  I'm pretty sure my swing speed will not test the integrity of the air install and I like the less messy aspect.

For builds for my business, I always use solvent, don't want someone coming back saying their grips are slipping. For my own grips, I may experiment soon with air. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

You probably lost to this guy...

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1829655-mitchell-loft-and-lie-machine-absolutely-perfect-condition/

51 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

No, this was one from 2nd Swing and had the digital readout.  

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

I was thinking that he bought the digital one, that's why he says he is selling this one.....

If so, he wanted it WAY more than I did.

@fixyurdivot - Which specific model loft lie machine did Mcgolf recommend? there are two on the golfworks site around the same price. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

@fixyurdivot, I have over the years built several clubs and repaired a few.. the only thing that i have purchased to help are a golfsmith ruler, and a vice shaft clamp.. everthing else I mostly already had. I use a propane torch and vice for pulling and re-shafting.. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

On 8/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, dlow206 said:

@fixyurdivot - Which specific model loft lie machine did Mcgolf recommend? there are two on the golfworks site around the same price. 

Maltby Iron/Hybrid Bending Machine (golfworks.com).  

I'm also looking at the Economy unit as I suspect hybrids aren't something I'll do since I don't game them myself.  Would be nice to have the capability, but it's double the price.  In any case, what I don't want is a unit that does not do a good job of locking the head down, or one that makes marks.  

Economy Iron Bending Machine (golfworks.com)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Maltby Iron/Hybrid Bending Machine (golfworks.com).  

I'm also looking at the Economy unit as I suspect hybrids aren't something I'll do since I don't game them myself.  Would be nice to have the capability, but it's double the price.  In any case, what I don't want is a unit that does not do a good job of locking the head down, or one that makes marks.  

I was talking to Mondher from Golf Mechanix about the first machine you posted and this one: https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-clubmakers-loft-and-lie-bending-gauge/p/gm1036/. He gave an answer i wasn't expecting. He said if you are a traditionalist (traditional lofts), then the one you mentioned first, if more into modern lofts (i.e. expect to bend more modern loft clubs) then the one i mentioned.

Probably very few know who Mondher is

https://mygolfspy.com/mondher-latiri-the-zen-of-golfmechanix/

Updated 07/15/2022

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I was talking to Mondher from Golf Mechanix about the first machine you posted and this one: https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-clubmakers-loft-and-lie-bending-gauge/p/gm1036/. He gave an answer i wasn't expecting. He said if you are a traditionalist (traditional lofts), then the one you mentioned first, if more into modern lofts (i.e. expect to bend more modern loft clubs) then the one i mentioned.

Probably very few know who Mondher is

https://mygolfspy.com/mondher-latiri-the-zen-of-golfmechanix/

Great stuff Derrick, thanks!  First I've heard of Mondher and that reply would have surprised me too.

• 2 weeks later...

@McGolf You put BB and F Co ferrules on my PXG 0211 irons.  I am thinking about upgrading the ferrules on my wedges myself. I have some BB and F Co ferrules without collars, that I would like on my wedges. I have Callway wedges. A Mack Daddy CB and a couple of MD3 wedges all have steel shafts. My question is, do these Callaway wedges have a shoulder in the hosel that would require a collared ferrule?

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

• 2 weeks later...

They do have a collar but when using a steel shaft you can get a way with putting on the Bb and F ferrules. Make sure the fit of the shaft and hosel are tight and it will work

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I have a DIY spring loaded shaft puller(Only used for graphite shafts)

I use propane torch for all heat requirements.

I lucked out and bought a Mitchell from the bay quite a few years back for 400.  I am sure the measuring part probably doesn't read correctly, but I use to adjust based on the dry erase marker method, and I bend for loft based on yardages not a notion of equal loft gappings, so I don't care if it is not reading the exact number.

I use the pure grips air installer (When I was going through my shaft testing phase, I got tired of "wasting" grips) so putting them on with air was cheaper.  Cheap pancake air compressor from Home Depot.

I turn my own ferrules if needed, but tend to just order them the correct OD of the hosel.

A drill and numerous drill bits(I end up removing weight from all of my short irons)

Vice to hold the heads when I drill

Small parts plastic organizer.  I hold all of my OEM adapters, screws, ferrules, shims, brass weights, calipers, SS counter core weights, small tools.

ALL-Fit universal hosel adapters, I pull the OEM adapter as soon as I get a new club and use only the All-Fit.

Kitchen scale (to get relatively precise gram measurements)

Golf Works SW scale (While I think matching SW throughout your iron set is stupid) I still use a SW scale to do my poor mans MOI matching.  .33 for 1/4" increments, .5 for 3/8" increments, and .66 for 1/4" increments.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

• 1 month later...

Club building achievement, being able to save an oem ferrule (not as easy as you think, especially a collared one). No parts of the ferrule are melted

8596AC73-5E00-4DFD-A1CC-64E8A4DBC98F.jpeg.e0c94291a4676938cf84121ea81a5b77.jpeg

Updated 07/15/2022

I used to do club building / repair back in the early 1980s. What I truly miss is the individuality of wood colors.
Guys were known by their driver colors ... “Do you know Andy? He plays a blond Wilson Staff driver.”

While I used standard stains for my builds, I combined my favorite Tommy Armour Mohogany with Cherry Red so that I had a color no one else had.

I am tempted to dig out an old persimmon driver, re-whip it & slap on a new grip just so I can hit it. I have a spool of whipping but it has become sticky over these past 40 years.

I would like to try building a driver or two now, but I’m intimidated by graphite shaft trimming and puring. Maybe some day.

B3083FA2-4116-43F1-9E58-64E3BB40F95E.jpeg

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y
Added diff pic

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded to this beast. I also now have two workbench stations, now including a 1X42 belt sander. 

IMG_2196.jpg.9e89053701e886a596da72b9c5f0a5ef.jpg

Updated 07/15/2022

let me know what you think of the machine, the reverse thrust puller looked pretty good.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

11 minutes ago, McGolf said:

let me know what you think of the machine, the reverse thrust puller looked pretty good.

My initial qualitative thoughts is that this puller is awesome. I tested it with an iron that had a graphite shaft in it that i had built, so i knew exactly what epoxy was used (3M DP810). I stuck the club in, turned the handle so that the spring was loaded, and then start heated the hosel with a butane torch. The spring caused the clubhead and shaft to separately properly pretty quickly, had to be under 10 seconds (DP810 does break down pretty fast though). 

My one caveat is that I have never used another puller that has the spring mechanism in it. The other pullers that I have used are the Mitchell Commercial EZ puller and then a bottle jack style puller. I am not sure if the Reverse Thrust Puller is superior or not to the other Golf Mechanix spring loaded models. According to specs, all the Golf Mechanix spring loaded models have the same 700 pounds of force being applied by the spring. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 4 weeks later...

One of the most challenging tasks I've come across is trying to install a 21" armlock grip on a 0.660" butt putter shaft. Was able to get it installed with air, but required a lot of brute force strength to push it on a long with the air. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 5 months later...

I'm back looking into loft/lie machines.  I've made bids on a couple of the high end Mitchell units but they quickly go past my desired budget.  My use is simply going to be hobbyist stuff and I don't want to spend much more than $350.  Yes, I know, I'd be money ahead just taking clubs to someone and paying for the service, but I like the idea of DIY and there is no one in the area we live that does this.  

So, buying new, leaves a couple of choices.

Value Line Golf Club Bending Machine (golfworks.com)   

Does anyone have/use these?  Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm back looking into loft/lie machines.  I've made bids on a couple of the high end Mitchell units but they quickly go past my desired budget.  My use is simply going to be hobbyist stuff and I don't want to spend much more than $350.  Yes, I know, I'd be money ahead just taking clubs to someone and paying for the service, but I like the idea of DIY and there is no one in the area we live that does this.  

I've always wanted one, but never sprung for it.  Any irons I get have to be lie adjusted 2º flat.  I just pay for it at our local golf shop, because it will be cheaper for me in the long run.

BTW, that Bridgestone JGR 6i does not bend easy.  Had mine adjusted and they guy said it was the hardest 2º he has ever done... could very easily snap I bet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I would say the key is what will you be mounting this on. 

I have my Mitchell on a stand that is bolted into the concrete floor in my garage. 

Updated 07/15/2022

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I would say the key is what will you be mounting this on. 

I have my Mitchell on a stand that is bolted into the concrete floor in my garage. 

I have a very nice, 5" jaw high end machinists vise I purchased through Boeing Surplus in the 80's.  It's built like a tank and mounted to my workbench, secured to the wall, that has a 1" plywood top. So for the vise mounted unit, should be rock solid.  The unit with the on-board scales will just be mounted to the workbench.

What I don't want is a unit and bending bar that marks up the head or hosel.  Taking the time to get the head nested correctly and securely, in either unit, should keep the mount jaws from marking, but bending bars are another matter.

Both units now say they come with the short hosel bending bar (but not the upgrade ones; long handle or with the brass jaw).  This from answered questions about the products but it's still a bit confusing.  I need to speak with GW's about that.  It would be nice if they allowed you to choose which bending bar you wanted, but that does not sound like the case.

Does you machine and BB leave any marks?  

16 hours ago, Kenny B said:

BTW, that Bridgestone JGR 6i does not bend easy.  Had mine adjusted and they guy said it was the hardest 2º he has ever done... could very easily snap I bet.

Well, not that this list is the end all source, but it states that Bridgestone does not recommend adjustment more than +/- 3*.  Hopefully the one I bought is not 2* flat as I need 1-2* up 😲.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/Iron Models Not Rec.pdf

Good reminder though to consider this chart when looking at various irons.

34 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, not that this list is the end all source, but it states that Bridgestone does not recommend adjustment more than +/- 3*.  Hopefully the one I bought is not 2* flat as I need 1-2* up 😲.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/Iron Models Not Rec.pdf

Good reminder though to consider this chart when looking at various irons.

Not all Bridgestones are the same.  The JGR models are forged face but the body isn't.  I watched the guy bend mine; he put all of his 170 lbs on the bending bar.  Got them moved 2º barely, but I think they have moved back a little toward standard.  I don't think I will have it done again; I've probably adjusted to them anyway.  

If you get a Loft/Lie machine and move to Phoenix, I'll let you check them.  🤣  I'll be there in January so hurry up and move!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

34 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Not all Bridgestones are the same.  The JGR models are forged face but the body isn't.  I watched the guy bend mine; he put all of his 170 lbs on the bending bar.  Got them moved 2º barely, but I think they have moved back a little toward standard.  I don't think I will have it done again; I've probably adjusted to them anyway.  

If you get a Loft/Lie machine and move to Phoenix, I'll let you check them.  🤣  I'll be there in January so hurry up and move!!

I'm pretty sure the HF2's are both forged body and face... same as the ZX5's.  This based on a couple sources to include our very own John Barba.  Yeah, we're still looking for the SCG house and still hoping to be in one by snowbird time.

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have a very nice, 5" jaw high end machinists vise I purchased through Boeing Surplus in the 80's.  It's built like a tank and mounted to my workbench, secured to the wall, that has a 1" plywood top. So for the vise mounted unit, should be rock solid.  The unit with the on-board scales will just be mounted to the workbench.

What I don't want is a unit and bending bar that marks up the head or hosel.  Taking the time to get the head nested correctly and securely, in either unit, should keep the mount jaws from marking, but bending bars are another matter.

Both units now say they come with the short hosel bending bar (but not the upgrade ones; long handle or with the brass jaw).  This from answered questions about the products but it's still a bit confusing.  I need to speak with GW's about that.  It would be nice if they allowed you to choose which bending bar you wanted, but that does not sound like the case.

Does you machine and BB leave any marks?  

In general, doesn't leave marks. I use the one from Golfworks, forgot what it was called, but the most expensive one Golfworks has with the brass.

I have slightly discolored a Vokey black colored wedge though (very minor) on the hosel. That finish wears off anyway though. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Just ordered the HF 6" chop saw using the 25% off Memorial Day sale 👍. This leaves only a loft lie machine/bender to round out the DIY build bench equipment.  Pretty much given up hope of nabbing a higher end used unit on eBay, etc. and going back and forth between the two GW's options noted above.... but leaning towards the Economy unit 🤔.

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just ordered the HF 6" chop saw using the 25% off Memorial Day sale 👍. This leaves only a loft lie machine/bender to round out the DIY build bench equipment.  Pretty much given up hope of nabbing a higher end used unit on eBay, etc. and going back and forth between the two GW's options noted above.... but leaning towards the Economy unit 🤔.

Let me know if you want a couple of higher quality blades for that HF chop saw that i should still have laying around. they are much better and thinner than the ones from HF and they fit that HF 6" saw. They are yours if you just cover the shipping. I use a different saw now so they are just laying around. 

Updated 07/15/2022