Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Shaft Question

Good Afternoon,

I am currently using a smoke black 6.5 in 60 grams and am not experiencing the best dispersion.  When I hitting the driver in the store, the fitter also suggested trying a 70g in stiff (tensei) and that the stiff shaft would not make my misses so extreme.  I always thought more stiff would eliminate the extreme misses so I am a little lost.   I am hoping to gain a little bit of the control back.  I have a 105-110 ish swing speed.  Any suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

There is no absolutes in golf. Everyone reacts differently to stiffness and weight. You’re close to the borderline between stiff and x.  Weight is all about how it feels and performs for you. 

Unless you can hit the exact shaft in question side by side with your current shaft then it’s pretty much a shot in the dark

Totally agree on the weight over the deflecting frequency.  As we know the heavier weight should bring stability at a cost of distance.  10 grams in driver shaft is a lot of changes.  I used to believe the lower the torque value the more stable the shaft will perform; but , a higher torque value might bring more distance and stability at the same time, and also will allow a smoother transition.

If only you could hit the options side by side on a golf hole which you're familiar with..... no one could dial it in for you.  The alternative is using a launch monitor which will narrow the search from the chase, but, the on course performance still remain the bottom line.