Golden Horseshoe did not disappoint...sorta.

Just got back from our trip two weeks ago and we played Royal New Kent, Golden Horseshoe Gold and Green, and Brickshire.  I have to say Golden Horseshoe Gold was a BEAUTIFUL course with a very friendly staff.  The course was well manicured, very tight and fun to play (we had a free replay on both the Gold and the Green).  I definitely played MUCH better the second time through.  The one thing that I have to complain about were the greens on the Gold course.  I'm not sure I have ever seen more beat up greens in my life.  Nobody repaired pitch marks here.  Don't get me wrong, they rolled very well but we all were very disappointed in how bad they looked.  We did our part and repaired more than our fair share of pitch marks but I just don't understand why people can't just bend over and do this themselves to make the greens that much better.  That being said, I loved the elevation changes and the par 3's lived up to their reputation. 

The Green course...well....it was much easier, much wider and just lacked the WOW factor that the Gold course had.  You could tell the Horseshoe put most of the money into the Gold course.  Again, it was a nice course and if it were in my hometown it would be one of the premier courses around, but unfortunately, it is not. 

I did like Brickshire, although I heard a lot of negative things going into this trip about it.  I was not expecting much out of this course, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.  It too, had wide fairways and when I mean wide I mean WIDE!!!  The greens rolled true and were receptive to attacking the pins.  There were elevation changes and some short par 4's and some VERY long par 3's.  The day we played, we had a pretty strong wind and every par 3 played to over 200.  It was a lot of fun.  I would definitely play here again.

• Like 4

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• 3 weeks later...

I played the Gold and Green (and Spotswood) back in April and thought the courses were in great condition. I went with some buddies for a golf weekend trip (from NYC). I actually had one of the best rounds of my life (by differential on the Green course). The green course, while technically harder, seemed easier to me and did not have that 'wow' factor.

The Gold Course, with ~6 holes crossing the same water, was a delight to play and the second hole with the long second shot over the water was exciting. The Green Course, while nicer than NYC courses, was not anything special. I would recommend both courses if you are taking a trip to Williamsburg. Also, the Spotswood course is a fun short course to play a quick round or play a scramble with friends before the real rounds. 

Williamsburg also has some other fun activities/good food in the area and its worth making a long trip out of it. We went to Busch Gardens, which was a great way to add some excitement to the trip.

• Like 2

Callaway Jaws 60 and 54

Titleist T300 W-5 and Tsi2 3 and 4 Hybrids

Callaway Epic Max 3W and Driver

22 hours ago, GolfInTheCity said:

I played the Gold and Green (and Spotswood) back in April and thought the courses were in great condition. I went with some buddies for a golf weekend trip (from NYC). I actually had one of the best rounds of my life (by differential on the Green course). The green course, while technically harder, seemed easier to me and did not have that 'wow' factor.

The Gold Course, with ~6 holes crossing the same water, was a delight to play and the second hole with the long second shot over the water was exciting. The Green Course, while nicer than NYC courses, was not anything special. I would recommend both courses if you are taking a trip to Williamsburg. Also, the Spotswood course is a fun short course to play a quick round or play a scramble with friends before the real rounds. 

Williamsburg also has some other fun activities/good food in the area and its worth making a long trip out of it. We went to Busch Gardens, which was a great way to add some excitement to the trip.

I'm with you, I thought the Green course was easier as well.  Wide fairways and large greens, but almost no wow factor. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"