Titleist TS3 Weight Setup

Stephen Lee

My typical miss with my driver is in on the heel. I VERY rarely miss out on the toe, maybe 1 in 100 shots if any. 60% are probably just a bit in on the heel, 20% way in and low on the heel, 20% dead center. That being said, usually I'll have days where typically everything is in the same place. I'm rarely missing all over the face. So i can play my miss. If i'm hitting it dead center, I can play a straight/slight draw and get maximum distance off the tee (315 or so) but i can work it either way if i want to. If I'm missing it with my typical just slightly off the heel strike, I play more of a baby fade that's super consistent but not as long (290ish). If I have the bid low and in on the heel miss going, I have to play a harder cut that kills any distance on it and I average around 265. I moved the weight into the back into the heel (D1 setup on the hozzle) and it makes my 60% shot of a little in on the heel more of a center strike maybe a little toey on the new "center" and it eliminates the big miss. It allows me to play a baby draw/straight ball more consistently. My problem is that even when i'm hitting the new "center" of the club, I'm only getting 290-295 on shots that feel like they should be closer to 315+. That being said, the big miss is gone so i think it's the right setup for me. But seeing as I am a 1.3 handicap and been dropping since i started 3 years ago, am I doing the wrong thing by essentially training myself that a slight heel strike is the "center" of the club now? Will my distance forever be limited by the fact that i have to move the weights into the heel? Or should I be getting the same distance as a center struck ball with weight in the center?

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

The Titleist TS3 weight is designed to adjust the CG of the club, given more fade or draw bias. Draw bias helps the face close, fade bias stays open.

Impacting the heel, could be a setup and for sure a swing path issue. I have been there this year and well ...

Setup to close to the ball can force your path to be "out to in" because of lack of room back into the ball

If your not hitting the toe, try setting up away from the ball until you make toe contact. Then work your way back to center. Sounds hard to do but your mind and body will learn a toe hit. You already can find the heel, learn the toe and the center will be easier to find.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:06 AM, mr.paintmaker said:

The Titleist TS3 weight is designed to adjust the CG of the club, given more fade or draw bias. Draw bias helps the face close, fade bias stays open.

Impacting the heel, could be a setup and for sure a swing path issue. I have been there this year and well ...

Setup to close to the ball can force your path to be "out to in" because of lack of room back into the ball

If your not hitting the toe, try setting up away from the ball until you make toe contact. Then work your way back to center. Sounds hard to do but your mind and body will learn a toe hit. You already can find the heel, learn the toe and the center will be easier to find.

Yeah i understand all of that but my issue is my strikes are very consistent and not horrible so should i really be moving the weights back to try to find the center? Do I need that to maximize distance or is my distance already maximized with my new "center" now being where my strikes already are. 

So my main question is, do i need to move the weights back to center and go through a swing/setup change and find the center to maximize my distance or is it already maxed out with my strikes being there and the weights being moved to where they are

img3950.jpg

Edited by Stephen Lee

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

11 hours ago, Stephen Lee said:

Yeah i understand all of that but my issue is my strikes are very consistent and not horrible so should i really be moving the weights back to try to find the center? Do I need that to maximize distance or is my distance already maximized with my new "center" now being where my strikes already are. 

So my main question is, do i need to move the weights back to center and go through a swing/setup change and find the center to maximize my distance or is it already maxed out with my strikes being there and the weights being moved to where they are

Ideally you want to hit the hottest sport on the face consistently.  I can't tell you that exact spot on your driver because each driver model is slightly different.  The weight changes seem to have impacted your swing and how you deliver the club to the ball.   The only way to answer your question would be to get on a launch monitor and hit shots with the various setups.  You could also change your swing or potentially change the length of your club to alter where you strike the ball.  I don't think there is a simple here is what you need to do type of answer to your question.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with the points that have been made, but I'd offer just a simple observation.  

If you are in fact seeing your HCP drop, and you're at 1.3 currently with how you're hitting the ball.. add in that you're getting very close to the 300 mark now; does it matter?

I say that tongue in cheek, obviously.  But, think about it.  Your overall game isn't suffering scoring wise.  You're shooting decent scores and having an above average distance standard with how you're striking it now.  What is to be gained, outside of course maybe consistency on flight and a few more yards, by searching for the magic pill to cure where you're striking it on the club face?

Now, keep in mind this year has been a struggle for me.  I've been having the same issue you are.  With driver mostly.  BUT, I'm hitting my driver probably on average only about 270.  There again, I say that tongue in cheek because frankly that's far above the average distance for a guy my age.  Yet, I've not shot a round above 79 in probably a month / month and a half.  I was neurotic in my search early this season to "fix" things.  I would hit balls till I couldn't hit them anymore.  One day I just realized what is to be gained by all this? I'm scoring and playing very well.  What am I gonna gain by hitting my driver 10-20 yards further on average?  I'll hit a PW to a green rather than an 8 iron?  I don't know that it would make a whole hill of beans different cause I'm playing pretty well now. 

I say all that to say this.  If you're hcp is going down, you're playing well and you're hitting that ball on average that far... I'm not sure you should beat yourself up over that.  You probably put it right, in my estimation, that perhaps focusing on this is what my new normal center of face is with that club and focus on playing that as your strength. 

Just my $.02 brotha.  Hope you keep improving and loving the game.  

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣