Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TS3 weight setup

My typical miss with my driver is in on the heel. I VERY rarely miss out on the toe, maybe 1 in 100 shots if any. 60% are probably just a bit in on the heel, 20% way in and low on the heel, 20% dead center. That being said, usually I'll have days where typically everything is in the same place. I'm rarely missing all over the face. So i can play my miss. If i'm hitting it dead center, I can play a straight/slight draw and get maximum distance off the tee (315 or so) but i can work it either way if i want to. If I'm missing it with my typical just slightly off the heel strike, I play more of a baby fade that's super consistent but not as long (290ish). If I have the big low and in on the heel miss going, I have to play a harder cut that kills any distance on it and I average around 265. I moved the weight into the back into the heel (D1 setup on the hozzle) and it makes my 60% shot of a little in on the heel more of a center strike maybe a little toey on the new "center" and it eliminates the big miss. It allows me to play a baby draw/straight ball more consistently. My problem is that even when i'm hitting the new "center" of the club, I'm only getting 290-295 on shots that feel like they should be closer to 315+. That being said, the big miss is gone so i think it's the right setup for me. But seeing as I am a 1.3 handicap and been dropping since i started 3 years ago, am I doing the wrong thing by essentially training myself that a slight heel strike is the "center" of the club now? Will my distance forever be limited by the fact that i have to move the weights into the heel? Or should I be getting the same distance as a center struck ball with weight in the center?

Edited by Stephen Lee

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

Until you hit the actual center of the face you will not maximize your distance. By hitting on the heel you are going to add spin and if you hit it low on heel it’s going to generally be low launch and higher spin.

you have good distance numbers for where you are making contact. If you want to improve consistency on those misses and improve overall distance on all shots learn to hit the sweet spot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Until you hit the actual center of the face you will not maximize your distance. By hitting on the heel you are going to add spin and if you hit it low on heel it’s going to generally be low launch and higher spin.

Exactly, it's way less normal than my typical shot which is just barely on the heel, when i say on the heel I literally just mean maybe a quarter of a ball in on the heel. My last important tournament of the year is the Maryland Mid-Am in 2 weeks (I see you're from Maryland as well). I'm definitely going to keep the weights where they are for now because I find the fairway more consistently. That's worth giving up 15-20 yards for me to eliminate the big miss and probably 1-2 penalty strokes a round. But that's kind of what i expected to hear. I'll move them back to the center in August and work my strikes out towards the toe over the winter break.

Side note- my distances are at 1,500 ft altitude but going back to Maryland they're down a touch from those numbers listed

3 hours ago, Stephen Lee said:

Exactly, it's way less normal than my typical shot which is just barely on the heel, when i say on the heel I literally just mean maybe a quarter of a ball in on the heel. My last important tournament of the year is the Maryland Mid-Am in 2 weeks (I see you're from Maryland as well). I'm definitely going to keep the weights where they are for now because I find the fairway more consistently. That's worth giving up 15-20 yards for me to eliminate the big miss and probably 1-2 penalty strokes a round. But that's kind of what i expected to hear. I'll move them back to the center in August and work my strikes out towards the toe over the winter break.

Side note- my distances are at 1,500 ft altitude but going back to Maryland they're down a touch from those numbers listed

The weight setup is exactly what you want for where your contact point is. That amount towards the heel won’t be as bad but still is starting to get away from optimal and not as good as say that same amount towards the toe and if just above center. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

The weight in the heel is the right setup for what you are doing at this point. 

that being said if you have time mess around with putting the weight in the toe to see if you react differently to the CG shift. Also try some different shafts if you can. The shaft may be the reason you are missing in the heel consistently. Were you fit for your current setup?

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2021 at 7:24 AM, KCLeo12 said:

The weight in the heel is the right setup for what you are doing at this point. 

that being said if you have time mess around with putting the weight in the toe to see if you react differently to the CG shift. Also try some different shafts if you can. The shaft may be the reason you are missing in the heel consistently. Were you fit for your current setup?

I've just moved it back to center yesterday. I haven't played yet but the past 2 months i've been hitting it out of the center face to produce a straight ball / little draw. It's felt like i've been hitting it out of the toe but in a weird good way that's hard to explain? I've felt like i've been able to release the club a lot better too with the weight in on the heel. Hopefully moving it back to center I can maintain the same release and continue to produce a straight ball flight maybe a slight fade.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a length issue. If you're hitting the heel, and producing a fade, my guess is that the swing is coming a little out to in. Essentially, you're making the club play longer than it actually is based on the swing path. I would try lining some shots up on the toe side of the alignment mark.  Keeping the weight in the heel will allow the heel to slow down and the toe to speed up, so it does sound like it's in the right spot. 

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7